PDA

View Full Version : Video: Full Contact Ju-Jitsu

MasterKiller
08-10-2006, 06:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9CnW2JYChs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VVsHu7wLMQ

Oso
08-10-2006, 06:38 AM
I will have to check to confirm but I think that is the format that my first teacher, now a kempo exponent, is training in now.

I sparred him and another black belt back in may under this format. Got a cracked rib from a knee that weekend. :D

I think they just had the US qualifiers this past weekend in Pennsylvania or someplace up that away.

Oso
08-10-2006, 06:48 AM
yep, just called him and checked.

they did the US qualifier this past weekend in Hagerstown, MD.

He said he was pretty sure he'd heard of that group in Poland but his group hasn't connected with them yet. They did a weekend with some Romanians back in the spring that had some friendly type matches.

There are 3 different rulesets with varying contact levels...don't know all the details about the three different rulesets. The one I sparred under with them had no knees or elbows to the head at all...no striking to the head at all on the ground...knees and elbows to body and legs were allowed on the ground.

Ben Gash
08-10-2006, 08:26 AM
That was cool, thanks for posting.

Chief Fox
08-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Great video. thanks for the link.

Mr Punch
08-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Only had time to watch the first vid, but just got this to say.

While their grappling skills are waaay above mine, apart from a couple of leg catches I only saw about 3 moves that could have been called takedowns, smothers, throws etc against the striking. They have a long way to go working transitions IMHO. They seemed to be either intent on the striking game or just straight into grappling with no idea in between of how to nullify one with the other (particularly striking with grappling).

Nice to see JJJ getting its own back though! :D

Oso
08-10-2006, 08:03 PM
maybe...

but, they WERE beating the crap out of each other.

did ya'll see the spin kick that ko'd the one dude?

Three Harmonies
08-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Nice! I assume that the belts were merely to differentiate people not indicative of rank??? Not sure what Mr. Punch is seeing but to each their own.
Crazy Pollocks must not have to work the next day!!! One side note I would address though.... leg locks and knee bars: seemed to be many injuries from those, and people were going ape **** crazy to lock them in. They may want to reserve those type moves for much more senior levels. A blown knee can end a JJ career, or hobby and that is no fun for anyone!
Cheers
Jake :cool:

Oso
08-10-2006, 08:36 PM
yea, you the judges/ref usually have armbands of red and white and they throw the arm up to indicate points or winner.

knee locks: judging by the intro to the first vid and what my first teacher is telling me...is Shodan and up mostly. Plus, if this is the same format, you as the competitor, choose what level you want to compete at. Caveat Emptor.;)

Three Harmonies
08-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Oso
Totally agree that if you play, you play. Maybe I am getting old or something, but I would rather not have to deal with a knee injury. Been there. Done that. Bought a couple t's, and it is no fun. More power to them though! Great stuff.
Jake :)

Shaolinlueb
08-10-2006, 09:40 PM
maybe...

but, they WERE beating the crap out of each other.

did ya'll see the spin kick that ko'd the one dude?

yeah sersiously they were. it was good to see punches and kicks thrown in there too. i thought it was neat.

im not into beating the **** out of people so. :D

Oso
08-11-2006, 07:04 AM
Jake,

I hear you. When I played with my old teacher back in may, i did ok, but we both ended up with pretty cracked ribs from knee shots and otherwise required much lubrication that evening to make the soreness go away.

I also sparred a junior black belt of his that was smaller, younger and fit as hell. He was way faster on his feet but not as good a striker in the clinch...but he still overall walloped the heck out of me until I got him on the ground...but even then, I couldn't do much but smother and try to hit him...my submissions need work.:(

Three Harmonies
08-11-2006, 08:48 AM
I hear you brother! Hell my whole ground game needs work. I found a BJJ school 5 minutes away and have started training with him. Great stuff, and an excellent teacher.
Jake :cool:

Oso
08-11-2006, 11:30 AM
sweet...they are definitely days I think about tossing the whole teaching thing and just go back to training...