PDA

View Full Version : Combat Taiji In Seattle?

lunghushan
08-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Looking for any combat taiji teachers in the Seattle area that practice applications beyond just push-hands, such as striking, chin-na, throws, etc. Some sparring preferred.

Thanks in advance.

Three Harmonies
08-10-2006, 03:32 PM
I do. Only privately right now until I get more interest to offer public classes. COntact me privately if you are interested in what I offer, or if you have any other questions.
Cheers
Jake Burroughs :cool:
three_harmonies@hotmail.com
www.threeharmonies.com
505-385-2987 Cell

YiLiQuan1
08-10-2006, 06:15 PM
You're welcome to visit us down in Lakewood Town Center. It's not solely Taijiquan (we do Yiliquan, which has Xingyi, Taiji, Bagua and Baixing components), but it's an option to the standard "do slow forms while wearing spiffy silk pajamas" tai chee(se) taught elsewhere.

Jake - How was the seminar last weekend?

Three Harmonies
08-10-2006, 08:28 PM
YiLiq
I only went to a few, but they were okay. Nothing to get excited about, more like people just giving an idea of what they do. Few realistic apps, but real good folks. It was nice to meet the local crowd (or some of them anyways).
What about the Silat get together? I think you learned more their than at these get togethers.
Cheers
Jake :D

lunghushan
08-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Yeah, Yiliquan1, it's kindof too far down to Lakewood.

I'd probably be more up to drive down to Tukwila to train at Demon with Eric Dahlberg but even that is tough due to traffic from the North Seattle area.

YiLiQuan1
08-10-2006, 09:10 PM
YiLiq

You can call me Matt... I'd change my user ID here if I could; I normally just post under my real name. I figure, if I'm going to say something, I should have sufficient "sack" to stick my name to it...

I only went to a few, but they were okay. Nothing to get excited about, more like people just giving an idea of what they do. Few realistic apps, but real good folks.

One of the things I always dread about "seminars" is just how much real information I'm going to take home with me. Hearing that report, I'm glad I didn't go... Even at the bargain basement price of $10 per hour to each instructor, it sounds more like a marketing ploy than a training opportunity. :rolleyes:

It was nice to meet the local crowd (or some of them anyways).

I really wanted to meet Neil Yamamoto. I've corresponded with him via email a number of times, and I've heard of him through www.e-budo.com, and he really seems to know his stuff... Nice guy, too.

What about the Silat get together? I think you learned more their than at these get togethers.

Actually, I didn't go... Our student up in North Seattle went, and he said it was a really good time. I decided I had had enough of seminars over the last few months, and I wanted to just focus on Yiliquan until our teacher comes to visit for his annual seminar in October (I have stuff to brush up on until then). Unfortunately, I didn't even get to do that as I had to get tabs for my car...

I just finished a week's worth of Army Combatives training, resulting in being certified as a Level 1 instructor (I can teach level 1 techniques "officially," but I can't "certify" anyone). Lots of work, sweat, and pain... Good stuff, some of the best Army training I've had.

Lunghushan - Feel free to pop down on a Saturday sometime... We train from 0900 - 1230ish on Saturday AM at 6010 Mt Tacoma Way (I think that's the address). Basically, I-5 south to exit 125, then west (turn right off the exit ramp) onto Bridgeport. Take Bridgeport down 4 lights, and at the 5th set of lights (should be a 3 way intersection, with the turn heading left, just in front of Godfather's Pizza) turn left. The "stand alone" building in the strip-mall parking lot is where we train. We aren't part of the school; we "rent" space by paying our tuition fees to the school as an overall "mat fee."