PDA

View Full Version : Fight Consultation needed

Ray Pina
08-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Just spoke to the promoter. It's same day weight in. In fact, weigh in takes place at 4:00p.m., fights start at 8:00 p.m.

Now, this make sme happy because I won't be facing anything like last time, where guys are dropping huge weights. But I do have a challenge.

Last night I was 181 and change. Super Lt. Heavyweight is 175-182.9 ... obviously I can make that.

Light heavy weight is 167-174.9.

With this same day scenario I don't want to have to bug out about sweating out weight or not eating right. So, what do you suggest? I have to let them know on Monday?

I'm thinking I train like a son-of-a-***** this weekend and see what I weigh on Sunday. See if I can drop to 177. I'm sure I can.

Then I think I can steam the afternoon of the fight, drop to 174, weigh in, and then just hydrate and be strong and ready to go.

What do you think?
Ray

Key
08-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Don't cut weight for this one, you won't have enough time to fix your body.

Don't over doit and be sore from the day before.

Eat a whole bunch of carbohydrates for breakfast, not too much fat or you'll be weighed down.

Take a pre-game dump.

David Jamieson
08-11-2006, 12:54 PM
too much to drop in too short of a time and it will effect your performance unless you cheat with drugs. :p

better to train your ass off for the super light HW division and do your best.

MasterKiller
08-11-2006, 01:09 PM
How about only the guys who actually fought just pipe in this time...

This is a pretty serious thing Ray is attempting. He doesn't need second advice from people who learned to cut weight watching TUF.

Ray Pina
08-11-2006, 03:17 PM
I just weighed myself at the gym at work... I was 178. That scale may be off, but last night I weighed in at 181. I am confident I can make the 174.9 weight legit, just due to the fact that I have to train harder than I've ever trained before in my life the next two weeks. I should drop 5lbs easy.

In the off case that I don't. I'm sure I could sweat out 4 lbs that afternoon, weigh in at 4 and get a bite to eat and drink before the first fight at 8p.m.

I'm stoked now. Feel better about everything. I prefer same day weigh in. Last time was rediculous, but I undertand it now. You do what you have to do to get every edge possible.

This kind of goes against my philosophy as a martial artist, that you fight who you face and size be what it is, but first things first. I'd like to win one of these fights.

David Jamieson
08-11-2006, 03:23 PM
How about only the guys who actually fought just pipe in this time...

This is a pretty serious thing Ray is attempting. He doesn't need second advice from people who learned to cut weight watching TUF.

?? wtf is TUF?

and i've had my share of experience with it.
If he does it too fast, he's gonna pay for it.

There's fast and there's too fast.

MasterKiller
08-11-2006, 03:48 PM
?? wtf is TUF?
The Ultimate Fighter

SevenStar
08-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Personally, I would stay my same weight and fight in that division. you are in the upper echelon of that division weight wise, so you will still be on par with opponents in that class, save for anyone who cut weight to get there. But there shou'dn't be as big of a difference as there would be if you were in the smaller end of the pond.

Also, from a standpoint of testing myself, I feel better about winning (and even losing) knowing I gave my all against guys who are heavier than me than I would by beating guys smaller than me.

Water Dragon
08-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Tough call. If you can drop 3 pounds and squeeze out 4 in water weight, you'll be right where you need to be. I'd say go for the lower weight class except that you're not familiar with cutting. You may do it wrong which could be bad, but probably not.

What happens if you don't make weight? Will they bump you up or not let you fight?

Mr Punch
08-11-2006, 05:08 PM
What happens if you don't make weight? Will they bump you up or not let you fight?That's the most important question right now.

Golden Arms
08-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Dont drop, you are upper end of your division, and you are already lighter than you used to be, so probably a strong weight for you. If you drop more you will start trading strength for weight, and then you wont feel as good in there.