PDA

View Full Version : South Shaolin vs North Shaolin

awakenwired
07-05-2003, 09:06 AM
I'm studing a more modern mixed type of style atm. But due to certain scheduling constraints I may have to leave and choose a different school. I was thinking of something a little more traditional. Could anyone please enlighten me on the main differences between Northern Shaolin and Southern in general?

I've been thinking about southern, but it seems northern around here anyway is more available.

Shaolinlueb
07-05-2003, 10:53 PM
jet li and master hu (located in enfield and south windsor ct) made a movie about this. the third moviue in the shaolin temple series. called North vs South, or Martial arts in Shaolin. pretty good movie, shows big differences in the styles. I had a chance to meet master hu and his wife this past monday. I would like to train with him, but i dont want to disrespect my sifu and his sifu so I just wait for seminars.
www.wushucenter.com

ZhouJiaQuan
07-06-2003, 12:43 PM
depends on what style northern or southern is taught. i could make some generalizations but they wont really help. go look at the schools, and see what you like more, which sifu has better students, etc... would really be best.

what styles are taught in your area?

dont expcect that movie to be much more then wushu. there is a big different between modern and traditional styles.

Nevermind
07-07-2003, 07:29 AM
Northern styles tend to have more of an emphasis on kicking and agile footwork. Southern styles will have lower, wider stances with more emphasis on hand techniques. Southern style kicking usually is aimed at lower targets and seldom go above the waist. Of course there are exceptions but this is a broad overview. As the saying goes, "northern kicks, southern fists". I recommend you visit as many schools as possible and see which one fits you the best. There all good. Good luck in your search!

Shaolinlueb
07-08-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by ZhouJiaQuan
dont expcect that movie to be much more then wushu. there is a big different between modern and traditional styles.

Yeah I know its all wushu north and south stuff, but it still shows the difference in the styles. im not saying its authentic.

awakenwired
07-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the general description Nevermind. That's what my understanding was too. I think I'm still gonna lean toward southern. There's seems to be a shortage of schools in my area however. Or at least a shortage of yellow pages ads. My resources beyond that are somewhat limited. Thanks for the help.

HuangKaiVun
07-13-2003, 04:40 PM
Any REAL practitioner of Northern or Southern kung fu will tell you that the purported differences are questionable at best.

Adam Hsu has a historically and functionally (as in REAL FIGHTING) view on this in his "Sword Polisher's Record".

Shaolinlueb
07-15-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by HuangKaiVun
Any REAL practitioner of Northern or Southern kung fu will tell you that the purported differences are questionable at best.

Adam Hsu has a historically and functionally (as in REAL FIGHTING) view on this in his "Sword Polisher's Record".

so you must be a REAL practioner and know everything. you say there are no differences, but there are in the forms and such. this can be argued and not. from what i have always known and been told, southern was more concentration on strong stances and mainly punching and northern more flowing and legs.

David Jamieson
07-15-2003, 08:41 PM
there are differences.

some subtle and some quite large.

North has a tendency towards larger movements, where south can be more compact.

At my former school, I was learning both North Shaolin and Southern Shaolin styles at the same time. A southern weapon, a Northern Handform, and different augmentation exercises drawn from both.

It would be unusual to learn two handforms at the same time (also confusing for the learner) but it worked with the weapon/empty hand method.

The kicks are where you see a lot of difference as well. I will admit, I have seen some northern kicks in southern styles. I've even seen tornado kicks performed in Hung Gar!
Choy LI Fut is blend of North and South and has been around for some time now. Many teachers have been taught a northern and a southern style and will deliver both to their students in such a way as to preserve both, but at the same time they effect each other.

Each style makes use of a large body of techniques, some that map over and some that are unique to each flavour.

By the way, the Southern Shaolin that i was taught had plenty of tricky footwork in it, and even some high inside and outside crescent kicks.

Do what you are able to do and learn what you are able to find. With time, you'll have the style fitting you. :)

cheers

Nevermind
07-16-2003, 07:00 AM
Off the top of my head I can think of 2 Hung Gar sets I've learned that have tornado kicks, and inside crescent kicks. Remember, many southern masters traded techniques with northern masters and added these techniques to their arsenal. So it all comes full circle. Like I said before, its all good. Just find the one that suits you the best. Make it work for you. Peace! :)

Flying-Monkey
08-12-2006, 05:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKD-z9LMmEE&mode=related&search=

The Xia
08-13-2006, 05:06 PM
That guy said "South Shaolin vs. North Shaolin" 7 times lol.
And whats with the ninjas? :p

Flying-Monkey
08-13-2006, 06:00 PM
LOL
I know!

But I like those cheesy old school kung fu flicks.

monkeyfoot
08-14-2006, 04:50 AM
Lol thats a classic kung fu flick

theres a sweet bit where they all form a huge swastica (sp?), look kinda cool.

craig

Royal Dragon
08-14-2006, 05:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOqRGRBhciA&mode=related&search=

ZhuiQuan
08-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Lol thats a classic kung fu flick

theres a sweet bit where they all form a huge swastica (sp?), look kinda cool.

craig

That's a wan. Wan goes to the left, Swastika moves to the right. You should see the "Myths and Logic of Shaolin Kung Fu" documentary from National Geographic. The kids little monks form one and they make it spin around. It's pretty awesome.