PDA

View Full Version : CPA's Glorious Return!

CaptinPickAxe
08-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Here's the score, fellas.

I've been out of training for about a year now and I've gotten a little doughy. I'd like to get some ideas on maximum workout in minimum time. I'm looking for strictly excercises and lifting. I can handle the sparring and training on my own. I have three nights out of the week and 3 hours I can do each night.

I stand at 5'10" I'm currently 178lbs. I'd like to cut my fat down to at least 10%, but 6% is my goal. I'm currently at 25%.

Give me some ideas that will be fast, effective, and give me the martial artist body I used to have in minimum time.

Thanks in advance, guys. You'll help... I know it.

Chief Fox
08-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Check out crossfit: http://www.crossfit.com

or

Ross Training: http://www.rosstraining.com/

Both are intense. Ross is a boxer so his workouts may be more martial art based.

What always helps me to shed the pound is running.

_William_
08-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Here is something you can do for the weights. This is not set in stone, but I think this is a decent starting point.

Day 1
Warm up, then do 3 heavy sets of 5 for squat, incline bench, row(rows can be subbed with high pulls if you are familiar with them)

Day 2
3 sets of 5 with 80% of Day 1's weight

Day 3
3 sets of 5 with 90% of Day 1's weight

Add weight next day 1 if you were successful in completing all 3 sets of 5. Use maximum acceleration on all lifts, intending to move the bar as fast as possible.

Should take about 45 minutes, maybe less if you cut the rest periods a bit.

CaptinPickAxe
08-12-2006, 12:14 PM
I've also been looking into Bas Ruten's regiment. It consists of short but furious work outs. I'll post it for critique as I kind of modified it to my liking:

-Warm Up stretch
Lifting
-3 sets of Power clings 8 reps, 1 min rest
-3 sets squats 8 reps, 2 min rest
-3 sets Biceps curls, 1 min rest
-3 incline Bench press, 2 min rest
Cardio
-30 sec push ups
-30 sec abs
-30 sec jumping squats
-30 sec Green bays with knees in between
-2 sets 3min bag work, 2min break in between
(repeat all 3 times with 2min rest in between sets)
Sparring
-20min rolling
-20min striking
-20min free spar

Now, I can't decide if I should break these apart and push my limits and do it all in one fail swoop. I'm not in the worst shape as I still participate in physical activities such as uphill longboarding, occasional rolling, and shadow boxing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
CPA

Chief Fox
08-12-2006, 01:38 PM
here's a workout that I do to measure my fitness.

I have a rowing machine, a 20 inch plyo box, a kettle bell and a 75lb barbell set up in my basement.

I start the timer and I row 500 meters, then I do 20 box jumps, then I do 20 kettlebell swings and then I do 20 push presses with the barbell. That's one set. I then hop back on the rower and do it all again. I do a total of 3 sets, then I stop the timer. I take brief breaks when I have to but the idea is to improve my time so I try not to take any.

I was doing this workout once a week but I hurt my back about a month ago so I'm just getting back into it now.

I started out with the rowing machine, the plyo box and the barbell doing 3 rounds. After my fitness improved I upped it to 4 rounds. I did this for a while then I added the kettlebell swings and dropped it back down to 3 rounds.

I finish the current workout in about 17 minutes. Once I get that below 15 minutes on a consistent basis I'll add a 4th round and go from there.

It kinda sounds like the Bas Ruten workout you're doing is sorta like this. I really like the time clock aspect of this workout. It lets me know if I'm improving.