PDA

View Full Version : Broke my clavicle

Dragon Warrior
08-12-2006, 04:33 PM
About a month ago I broke my clavicle during training. Doctor said it would take 6 weeks to heal and that I shouldnt train for 6 months. I recently went to the doctor for a return visit and my collar bone hasnt healed like it should (the bone is still not connected). He said that there is a 30% chance that I will need surgery. Anyone have any experience with this. Does anyone know of anything I can do to help it heal on its own. Im still in a lot of pain and I am getting depressed because I can't train.

I have to admit that my life style hasnt been the healthiest in the past 4 weeks. Ever since the last doctor visit I have decided to live a healthier lifestlye in hope that it will help my collar bone heal. I have given up alcohol, weed, coffee, sugar, and everything else that has helped the time go by while I sit around and do nothing.

Anyway, any info would be appreciated.

Water Dragon
08-12-2006, 05:03 PM
*pokes Dragon Warrior in the collar bone*

Dragon Warrior
08-12-2006, 05:08 PM
*pokes Dragon Warrior in the collar bone*

lol, I still have me left arm and two legs to fight with Water Dragon.

SanHeChuan
08-12-2006, 05:54 PM
When I broke my collar bone the two pieces overlapped :eek:

They never set it, so it healed like that, and now I have a "bone spur" poking up beneath my skin.

You could try taking extra calcium :(

Ao Qin
08-12-2006, 06:01 PM
I was taught to strike at this area, as only 5 pounds of force would break this bone. Using willow palm, hammer fist, etc.

AQ

Green Cloud
08-13-2006, 11:34 AM
DW I feel for you unfortunately your doctors right, don't mess around with this injury the long term implications could be bad if you don't take care of this the right way.

Golden Arms
08-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Dragon Warrior, can you make it to someone that is an experienced Chinese Herbalist? Chinese med. is amazing for bone injuries and regrowth.

Green Cloud
08-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Make sure that you go to a good bone setting doctor but realy forget all this voodo nonsense and just have surgery all they do is just cement the fokers together unless you don't have insurance.

cjurakpt
08-13-2006, 05:13 PM
fortunately, as far as the surgery, you live in NY and so can go to Hospital for Special Surgery to get a second opinion / have the actual procedure done by some of the best ortho docs in the world; basically, what are the criteria for you to get it - I imagine they will give it another 6 to 8 weeks and if it hasn't united by then, cut time? regardless, after you heal up or have the procedure, get some rehab from someone skilled - it will help a lot...

Dragon Warrior
08-13-2006, 05:47 PM
the only way to set it is with surgery. This particular bone cant be set because it will just unset itself. My brother is an acupuncturist and herbalist and he is going to start treating me this week. I'll try anything at this point to avoid the surgery. If nothing works i will just have to get it.

cjurakpt,

I will be going back to the doctor in about a month, if he doesnt see improvement he will recommend the surgery.

What sucks is that this easily could have been prevented. I have to learn not to overtrain. When you are sore you get sloppy and that is when accidents happen. Every injury I have ever had has been due to overtraining.

cjurakpt
08-13-2006, 05:50 PM
...unless you don't have insurance.

in that case they just use Elmer's and have you hold it together with your fingers until it sets...

Dragon Warrior
08-13-2006, 05:51 PM
oh yeah, the surgery cost $10,000

Dragon Warrior
08-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Make sure that you go to a good bone setting doctor but realy forget all this voodo nonsense and just have surgery all they do is just cement the fokers together unless you don't have insurance.

The doctor told me that they will put a clamp on it to set it and then screw it into the bone.

Green Cloud
08-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Sound about right, listen I know your looking at 10,000 gransd but realy it will pay off in the long run.

Water Dragon
08-13-2006, 07:24 PM
oh yeah, the surgery cost $10,000

*pokes Dragon Warrior in the wallet*

Green Cloud
08-13-2006, 07:28 PM
They can also do a full body cast from the waist up it's a little cheaper. Y don't ya just get some insurance all ya got to do is wait a month.

BM2
08-14-2006, 05:55 AM
The doctor told me that they will put a clamp on it to set it and then screw it into the bone.

Dude, I think I could do that for $5,000. I even stay at a Holiday Inn Express that night before.

Green Cloud
08-14-2006, 07:21 AM
DW I realy think that they can cast it on fortunately the clavical supports the shoulders arms and what not so the problem is that the Dr's have to cast most of your upper body.

This pevents the shoulder and arm from moving, you can probably get it done at any hospital for about $1500.

DW don't **** around with this injury even if it means that you got to wip out your credit cards. Take it from me an injury like this could haunt you and cme back to bite you in the ass.

Green Cloud
08-14-2006, 07:25 AM
Can I ask what caused this injury???

Dragon Warrior
08-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Can I ask what caused this injury???

Well, it is kinda hard to explain. I was grappling with this mma/wrestler guy. He was in my guard and I swept him and established side control. Then I went for a variation of the guillotene from there and somehow I slipped and at the same time he exploded. I didnt let go of the guillotene grip I had on him and because of that my arm was at a wierd angle. My collar bone hit the mat first and then I heard the snap. I got up and looked in the mirror and saw an upside down V. I was freaked out and I drove myself to the hospitol. When I got out of my car I was in so much pain I couldnt walk and a nurse put me in a wheel chair and wheeled me in Now im sitting here typing with one hand.

I still might not need the surgery. The doctor thinks that there is a 70% chance it will heal so Im going to wait one more month. I just dont lilke the idea of having a clamp on my bone forever. But anyway, when it heals I am going to get back into the game. Im just made that im losing all this training time. Im freaking out, my arm is getting skinnier everyday, and my stomach is getting bigger. I really can't do any excercise except walk my dog so im going to walk everyday for about 4-5 miles. Anyway, thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.

Green Cloud
08-15-2006, 06:25 AM
I guess it's back to kung fu, I'm not trying to funny but during my rehab I found stance training and chi gong helped me a lot.

Dragon Warrior
08-15-2006, 07:07 PM
lol, I was actually thinking that. I can't grapple for at least 3 more months, maybe more. So I figure I'll just do some of my old kung fu training like stance work, to help stay in shape while I heal up. To be honost though, I cant stand doing stances, it burns, lol. But I have to admit it is good excercise and good for discipline and will power. I should be doing stance training right now, but instead im sitting on my lazy ass on the computer.

Green Cloud
08-15-2006, 07:10 PM
LOL unfortunately sitting around the computer is part of the rehab;)