PDA

View Full Version : The traveling martial artist

MARTIALSTUDANT
08-13-2006, 06:54 PM
The traveling martial artist

I from time to time ask my self this very question but can never come to a conclusive agreement. For those martial artist who train but have to move frequently is it hard to find schools that teach the same art you may be learning with the same lineages? Is it easy or hard to find a sifu that well be willing to accept you and grade you as a student? can you yourself ever expect to become a sifu and teach the chosen art to another generation? What art would be the best to choose if you happen to be one of the traveling artist? More times not I find my self answering questions number

1. Yes very hard
2. Hard to find willing sifu
3. No its hard for me to picture a traveling martial artist to become a sifu and pass the art to another generation.
4. I think your best arts for the traveling martial artist would be tai chi, Chinese boxing, Jkd.

Interested on your thoughts.

lunghushan
08-13-2006, 11:27 PM
This is very hard and most schools do not seem to be open to allow others to practice with them without doing their exact forms and curriculum.

I don't know what the solution is to this. Go to a school and say you have experience and ask to practice with their students and they will require you to do all their forms and everything their way. And if you suggest anything else they will get angry and say you have no experience or what you do is worthless.

Probably yes your best bet would be something that is everywhere not Tai Chi since that is so fragmented but perhaps BJJ, boxing, kickboxing, some styles of karate.

madhusudan
08-14-2006, 04:16 AM
ya, i got my love for MA from kungfu, but it's just too hard to find the same style wherever i go. i'm now into kyokushin karate, and for everything i like about it, one of the bonuses is that they have a standard curriculum with many branches throughout the world. i definitely feel you on what you're saying.

BJJ also has a large following here in korea. of course TKD is worldwide, but we all know how much respect that art gets with people on this board. but, honestly, i wouldn't mess with some of the traditional guys who do that here. they're good fighters.

i'll get back to kungfu later maybe when i settle in one place and can find a good teacher. if you're a traveler, it's probably not the best for you.

Ray Pina
08-14-2006, 06:53 AM
I'd look at is as an opportunity to learn new aproaches and techniques. Everybody has a different flavor. He|l, do BJJ for 8 months, then go do some boxing, then some Thai Boxing, then maybe take 8 months off and just swim or bike ride and get more fit that you ever had before.... wheels keep on turning.

As for "getting" a style or being able to pass on a style, these are just titles. You keep training in all different types of things chances are you'll be a better martial artists than someone who remains confined in their own little world.

When you are good, call it whatever you want. Call it martial arts. Students will come.

YiLiQuan1
08-14-2006, 07:47 AM
Being in the military, it's hard to find a place that feels like "home" to me. I've been training in the same style for 20+ years now, and though I'm interested in learning new things, I'm not that keen on re-learning skills I've already been introduced to.

That having been said, I've tried, while on the road, to approach schools and try to "rent" mat time, offering to pay a full month's tuition just to have access to their school space during normal business hours to practice... Unfortunately, though I've been offered reduced fees or no fees to just "piggyback" with their regular classes, I've never found a school (other than my own) that would allow visitors to just train...

Even during our classes here in Lakewood, if someone wants to come by and watch, no problem. But if they come out on the floor, they'll be expected to participate in our drills, exercises, etc. In the past, especially at my teacher's school back in NE, we allowed other people to use the school, usually during open periods when no class was held/scheduled (if for no other reason than it's a distraction to BOTH classes if two classes are being held simultaneously), but there were a few times when there was a visiting class (5 - 6 people) on the floor with us at the same time.

It's tough. Best bet is just to find a fitness center or gym that'll allow you to use some open space (an aerobics room or unused racquetball court) to train...

lunghushan
08-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Just getting practice space doesn't give you practice partners, though. What is the solution to that?

qiphlow
08-14-2006, 03:40 PM
i believe this is why so many styles have forms/kata. so you can train without a partner. granted, the air does not hit you back, and it's responses to your techniques are always predictable. that being said, with forms you can work on intention, balance, body positioning, footwork, speed, power generation.
the thing to remember about schools offering a particular style is that they are in business to teach that style, as it was learned by the school's owner, so you probably will not have too much luck in getting them to deviate from that teaching. if it's just general martial art experience you're after, then i would have to agree with ray pina: sample alot of flavors, get the principles down really well--then begin your own tradition.

lunghushan
08-14-2006, 03:44 PM
then begin your own tradition.

What do you mean, begin your own tradition? Teach your own style?

qiphlow
08-14-2006, 06:08 PM
sure, teach your own style. why not? choy li fut was started by a man who learned different martial arts, same with yiquan, same with sun style taiji. if i were starting my own style, however, i'd want to be able to practice what i preached:) .
food for thought.

lunghushan
08-14-2006, 06:12 PM
sure, teach your own style. why not? choy li fut was started by a man who learned different martial arts, same with yiquan, same with sun style taiji. if i were starting my own style, however, i'd want to be able to practice what i preached:) .
food for thought.

It wouldn't be hard (practicing what one is preaching). A couple of nights a week of open practice and sparring.