PDA

View Full Version : How to root...

greyseal
06-28-2001, 05:34 AM
Okay, I asked this question over in the WC forum, and I figured that I'd ask it here. Seems like a good place to ask. How do you develop a good root? What, if anything, are you picturing mentally as you do this, or is your mind clear? I ask this because when I practice chi sao, or other 2 man drills, I seem to be moving backwards as my partner pushes against me. I am one of the larger people in the class(6'1"/220 lbs.) but this obviously has no bearing as much smaller people seem like an oak to my feather during these drills.

SwimmingDragon
06-28-2001, 06:21 AM
I suggest lots of standing meditation, increasing the amount of time standing gradually. Then, with proper alignment of the body, one may find his or center, their root. It it best to keep the mind clear, concentrating only on your breath, your inhilation and your exhalation to allow chi to flow freely.
" Iron wrapped in silk"

BIU JI
06-28-2001, 01:39 PM
Buy a book on Karma Sutra!!

Sorry , couldnt help myself.

Stranger
06-28-2001, 04:58 PM
Can anybody here explain "floating your root" (without making any references to male genitals)? :confused:

"Luminous beings are we."

SwimmingDragon
06-28-2001, 05:34 PM
It is my understanding that this means to move your center in forms and especially in fighting, which can be achieved through the practice of the internal arts such as circle walking from bagua. Then once your center or root is known, you may learn to manipulate your opponent(s).
"Iron wrapped in silk"

EARTH DRAGON
06-28-2001, 11:52 PM
as swimming dragon has stated standing meditation is a must. While in meditation allow your dantien and your huyin to sink, grab the earth with the toes and push pressure to the outsides of the feet and legs and stiffen the upperbody as some one is about to lift you. This should make a difference, and remember when working with some one have your center lower than your opponents. A higher level of training focuses on reversing the polarity of one's body to become very rooted. But thats next weeks lesson.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

TheBigToad
06-30-2001, 07:43 AM
>>and stiffen the upperbody as some one is about to lift <<

What?? Why? Thats defeating the whole idea. The moment you stiffen up you loose your fluidity and ability to truly feel and listen to your body and others which is a major factor in why an art is internal.

This whole Yin and Yang thing is really out of hand, it does not relate to any extra/added tension in the body as a type of yang what so ever.

Why not apply it to its true meaning and develop Taiji(Yin/Yang) in the spine (taiji being the great supporting post/theory) you know the tail bone dropped and head lifted thus creating a dynamic of yin and yang energies in the body at the same time..ok?

We can even examine this further, the grand supporting post/theory can easily be applied the inner body to the spine. Since Daoist called this the Grand Pole, since without a spine the brain has no way to communicate with the rest and body and the spine is involved with every movement in the body and carries sensation from the body to the brain and back again.

The more relaxed and natural you are, means the spine can carry mesages/sensations faster to the brain and the brain can carry messages to the body faster down the spine when its loose and open and free flowing.

This learning to develop sensitivity is really about teaching the body to feel more and relax more so the spine and brain can work faster and in better conjunction.

Taijiquan masters are able to yield and neutralize action even before attacker know what their own body is doig. This is because the spine is so developed and relaxed the tai chi master's body feels sensation of touch at the most minute levels.

Are we starting to understand? Relaxation is a HUGE part. Thats why Karate and other external arts never quite reach the same level of sensitivity, speed, strength and longevity the internal arts do.

Its because they use tension, and because every movement in the body (including tension) is carried by the spine, the spine is directly effected. So tension will cause messages going up to the brain and down through the spine to be slower.

The spine also relays messages from parts of the body needing to be repaired. If there is tension, the brain will 1. never get the message or 2. be very slow in sending out help.

You ever see a crippled and aching old person without and crooked or hunched back?

Ever see an old healthy and powerful internal martial artist without a loose and straight spine? Hmmm maybe there is a connection.....

So tension, muck like Hitler...bad.

Relaxed, loose and free flowing spines ... good.

Add tension to your standing to develop root? No

Be relaxed and create Yin/Yang dynamic in the spine while standing to develop root? Yes.

Do your Standing/Wuji Qigong with this in mind for 20-30 min a day EVERYDAY!!! and you'll develop some serious root.

The circle will always be, but you alone decides when it starts and where it ends.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
10-10-2001, 04:49 PM
greyseal -

I would like to recommend a book,"Warriors of Stillness" by Jan Diesperloot. It is a very good book on the subject of rooting and standing meditation. It would be a welcomed addition to anyone's martial arts library. Take care.

Damian

shaolinboxer
10-10-2001, 05:50 PM
imagine at your dan tien there is a bowl of water
filled to the very top

don't let the water spill

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat

EARTH DRAGON
10-10-2001, 06:16 PM
I was not talking about push hands playing as you are reffering to , I was simply suggesting a method to check his progress by having someone lift him, when you practice rooting the person who is doing the lifting should find it somewhat diffucult to lift you , this is true when my students try to lift me, I root grab the earth and tense my chi negitively or downward!
not tenseing my muscles (maybe I wanst clear on that sorry) but when I root it is extremly difficult to lift even my heels off the ground. My shrfu is like a mountain when he roots and can never be moved.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

bamboo_ leaf
10-10-2001, 07:01 PM
Big toad, Good post,

If I might add a couple of things.

Rooting is not the ability to stand and resist a push or opponents force. IMHO this is a very common mistake.

Many people are able to do this using bone alignment (force comes from the bones/ chin comes from the senious) real rooting ability is much different.

Try just standing and have some one gently push you along the 8 directions. Don’t resist the push (leaning, counter force, ect) see if you can remain stable with out useing force.

It is the ability to really relaxing and being able to feel the intention, direction of the force. If the force received has no intention behind it, the one offering the force feels as like he/she cannot move the other person and the person feels like they are rooted into the ground. This is not the same as stiffing up and resisting the incoming force.

If the force applied is done with intention (YI) and you use force to resist, your root connection with the ground can be broken quite easily. (Again this is not the case of breaking something using a greater force, feel the force and go in the same direction as the force)

The idea would be like pushing a beach ball filled with air, just enough to compress it slightly. Release the compression and it will move itself. With people the push is really directed at the mind, not the body. A little harder and very different idea to really grasp and use.

Being really relaxed is key, along with developing a good mind intent.

The standing excerise is an exalent way to develop this along with many other things.

return to the wheel of life, not ready yet

bamboo leaf

[This message was edited by bamboo_ leaf on 10-11-01 at 10:24 AM.]

Nexus
10-10-2001, 08:04 PM
Qi Gong meditation should be the first step in developing a root.

The other steps will present themselves as you advance in that direction.

- Nexus

lloyd
10-12-2001, 03:56 PM
Maybe I misunderstood something back there, but sinking the huiyin sounds like the opposite to lifting the anus. I am anot an expert, but shouldn't one lift the anus during standing practice?

iron thread
10-12-2001, 07:56 PM
Good post. Although, by what you are saying are you opposing the idea of dynamic tension found in the iron thread form?

HuangKaiVun
10-13-2001, 03:19 AM
Many times, smaller opponents have the advantage in pushing due to their lower centers of gravity.

The 6'9" Earvin "Magic" Johnson used to complain that to play the 6'1" Isiah Thomas types in basketball, he'd have to shrink himself down to compensate for his high center of gravity.