PDA

View Full Version : Turning Style vs. Wing Tsun

Cat Nap
08-14-2006, 08:43 AM
First off - this isn't to start a debate over which is better. I'm curious which of the two styles people consider more practical in terms of self defense. Thanks in advance folks.

godzillakungfu
08-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Ha ha ha.

That is pretty funny.

Here is a poll to see which is more "street" effective but, it isn't style vs. style.

Cat Nap
08-14-2006, 09:13 AM
No, really, I'm not trying to be funny. I've studied Turning Style and think it's great actually. But since Wing Tsun was intented for more street fighting, I'm curious if practioners find one to be an advantage or equal in self defense.

AmanuJRY
08-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Go try WT, see for yourself and find out what you think about it.;)

I'm not sure of the 'Turning style' WC, I have not been exposed to it, but on the WT side I have some experience and I believe they're teaching some effective street fighting techniques. If street/reality fighting is your concern, they would be a good start.

couch
08-14-2006, 10:04 AM
That's not a very good poll...

What about the WC that I do?

I clearly think that IT'S the best!

;),
Kenton Sefcik

YungChun
08-14-2006, 10:12 PM
No, really, I'm not trying to be funny. I've studied Turning Style and think it's great actually. But since Wing Tsun was intended for more street fighting, I'm curious if practitioners find one to be an advantage or equal in self defense.
When you wrote Wing Tsun did you mean to identify with Leung Ting's version of the system? This is the spelling that generally denotes his lineage..

If so then WT happens IMO to be one of the families that uses turning more than most others..

If not then it would depend on who is doing the teaching..

From what I've seen and experienced I think that too much turning is a waste of time motion and energy... Turn too much in a real fight and you give up your facing--play with someone good and they will have you flanked in a half beat.

On the other hand some turning, as when you let the opponent's energy "turn you"--like a revolving door--and then facing is maintained--can make some sense.. I have also seen other styles use the turning for longer range stuff.. So all in all it depends on how it is done.. But in general and when Entering maintaining facing and control of the line is IMO what most WCK needs to do..

Steeeve
08-15-2006, 11:16 AM
hAHAHA:D

Its a joke this poll

The best in street is the fighthers not the style......but whatever the style all depend in the method .... of train a style...

;) Steeve

Mr Punch
08-15-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm with the 'This poll is very silly' vote.

Most people on here probably haven't been outside their own kwoon, let alone their own lineage, let alone experienced any 'Turning Style'. Quite apart from which, I turn a lot in my wing chun...!