PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Akron, Ohio.

DeLamar.J
08-15-2006, 07:38 AM
I just found these boards a few days ago. Seems like a nice place to chat about Kung Fu. Nice to meet everyone.

Oso
08-15-2006, 10:11 AM
hi and welcome...figured someone should shout back at ya.

what style do you study? couple of good teachers in the Akron area.

Some other stuff in the past but Pong Lai Mantis now.

Don't feed the trolls.;)

DeLamar.J
08-15-2006, 11:09 AM
My instuctor was a student under some people who came out of Ho Chun in akron, that decided to open up a school of their own for a short time to try it out. Then closed it down and went back to Ho Chun. They would make trips to Ho chun to crosstrain, and some of Ho Chuns students would go there to crosstrain. My instructor also crosstrained in some Wing Chun.
So basicly what I learn is 70% of what comes out of Ho Chun, and some other styles my instuctor had crosstrained in. There isnt really a name for what I study, its just a list of various chinese martial arts. My instructor would bounce around to different schools, and when he found something he liked, he would put it on his list, which is the list I study off of.

Oso
08-15-2006, 11:26 AM
cool enough.

be warned though: you'll probably have an equal number of people who will say good things and bad things about how you're training and how your teacher is getting his information....ignore 'em ;)

DeLamar.J
08-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Thats ok if people want to be judgemental, you will get that no matter what. Its not like I, or my instructor claim to be the best in the world or anything, we just have a list of various things we study, mostly Chinese styles.
I enjoy having a variety of different styles in my training routine, others may like a more traditional type of training.
However, I am very curiuos about what people might have to say:confused: :p

IronWeasel
08-15-2006, 02:42 PM
My instuctor was a student under some people who came out of Ho Chun in akron, that decided to open up a school of their own for a short time to try it out. Then closed it down and went back to Ho Chun. They would make trips to Ho chun to crosstrain, and some of Ho Chuns students would go there to crosstrain. My instructor also crosstrained in some Wing Chun.

Who is your instructor? Does he operate a school or does he just teach informally?

Just curious.

IronWeasel

Yao Sing
08-15-2006, 02:47 PM
I just found these boards a few days ago. Seems like a nice place to chat about Kung Fu. Nice to meet everyone.

Boy are you in the wrong place.

Actually it's a nice place to troll, make challenges, discuss MMA, display your stupidity and occassionally mention the word 'kung fu'. :D

DeLamar.J
08-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Who is your instructor? Does he operate a school or does he just teach informally?

Just curious.

IronWeasel
Informal at the moment. I'm not to sure if I want to start giving names just yet, I want to feel out the forums first.

Oso
08-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Thats ok if people want to be judgemental, you will get that no matter what. Its not like I, or my instructor claim to be the best in the world or anything, we just have a list of various things we study, mostly Chinese styles.
I enjoy having a variety of different styles in my training routine, others may like a more traditional type of training.
However, I am very curiuos about what people might have to say:confused: :p

lol...sounds like you'll be able to hang. welcome.

there are a number of mantis players in your area...Shifu Mike Biggie and his crew for one, Shifu James Rodgers of Master Yang's group for another. Both are good folks if you ever get the chance to meet them. I think Shifu Rodger's group has a tourney coming up in May.

DeLamar.J
08-15-2006, 06:47 PM
lol...sounds like you'll be able to hang. welcome.

there are a number of mantis players in your area...Shifu Mike Biggie and his crew for one, Shifu James Rodgers of Master Yang's group for another. Both are good folks if you ever get the chance to meet them. I think Shifu Rodger's group has a tourney coming up in May.
I went up to Tony Yangs place a while back, seems like a cool guy. The thing that will always make me remember him is that he fits the whole stereotype of a Kung fu master. Chinese guy with the long hair, cool Kung Fu outfit. It was kind of intimidating.
I signed up for one of his sanshou fights and did horrible. I went in with a cracked rib I got in training two days before the fight. Half way into the second round I almost passed out. I had trained for 5 months for that fight only to have to quit in the second round. Still a good learning experience though.

shirkers1
08-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Informal at the moment. I'm not to sure if I want to start giving names just yet, I want to feel out the forums first.

NAME NAMES!!!!! :D

I'm sure I know a few of your Ho Chun buddies.. I've trained with a few of them.

yu shan
08-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Man what is it with Akron? Is this the holy grail of CMA?

Welcome DeLamar!

shirkers1
08-16-2006, 02:20 PM
quantity doesn't always mean quality. ;)

DeLamar.J
08-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Man what is it with Akron? Is this the holy grail of CMA?

Welcome DeLamar!
There is some great CMA in akron!! I couldn't be in a better place for CMA, next to China.

Sifu Darkfist
08-17-2006, 10:34 AM
I went up to Tony Yangs place a while back, seems like a cool guy. The thing that will always make me remember him is that he fits the whole stereotype of a Kung fu master. Chinese guy with the long hair, cool Kung Fu outfit. It was kind of intimidating.
I signed up for one of his sanshou fights and did horrible. I went in with a cracked rib I got in training two days before the fight. Half way into the second round I almost passed out. I had trained for 5 months for that fight only to have to quit in the second round. Still a good learning experience though.

San Shou is a wonderful way to gain experience. Perhaps with much training and experience your results would improve dramatically. My Master (Yang Xiao Dong or Tony) Might seem intimidating, however his skill and his status as a well known master has not interferred with his ability to remain an incredible friendly, witty, funny, and all around excellent father figure. Sifu= father teacher. He treats all his serious students with a fatherly quality.

THe Tournament of Master Yangs is in October on the 14th.
Welcome D to the forum and lets get hell yeah for all you Akron Students/teachers
We need to rename it Little Bejing or Shandong.

DeLamar.J
08-17-2006, 11:34 AM
San Shou is a wonderful way to gain experience. Perhaps with much training and experience your results would improve dramatically. My Master (Yang Xiao Dong or Tony) Might seem intimidating, however his skill and his status as a well known master has not interferred with his ability to remain an incredible friendly, witty, funny, and all around excellent father figure. Sifu= father teacher. He treats all his serious students with a fatherly quality.

THe Tournament of Master Yangs is in October on the 14th.
Welcome D to the forum and lets get hell yeah for all you Akron Students/teachers
We need to rename it Little Bejing or Shandong.Thanks for the warm welcome eveyone. I was thinking about participating in some tournaments here soon. Me and my instructor are going to be opening a school of our own here soon, and going to some tournaments could be a good way to meet some new people, and finding this forum is a great thing too. Maybe once I get the school up and running I can meet some of you from the akron area. But before I get my school going, I would like to get the blessing of certain CMArtists in the area. Because my school will be mostly Chinese arts, I dont want anyone who is credible to feel that I am representing CMA in a bad way. It means alot to me to be supported by other CMA schools, that way everyone can crosstrain instead of becoming rivals.
I dont like how some schools feel like they are in competition with every other school. I hope my school can remain friendly with other CMA schools so cross training can be pleasant. Nothing is worse than disrespectful challenges left and right.

yu shan
08-17-2006, 01:20 PM
LOL that is good James, maybe the Shandong of USA.

Hey Shirkers, and some of the best move on and relocate other places eh! ;)

shirkers1
08-17-2006, 02:43 PM
But before I get my school going, I would like to get the blessing of certain CMArtists in the area. Because my school will be mostly Chinese arts, I dont want anyone who is credible to feel that I am representing CMA in a bad way. It means alot to me to be supported by other CMA schools, that way everyone can crosstrain instead of becoming rivals.
I dont like how some schools feel like they are in competition with every other school. I hope my school can remain friendly with other CMA schools so cross training can be pleasant. Nothing is worse than disrespectful challenges left and right.

lol Man I hate to sound like a **** but isn't Ho Chun notorious for challenging other schools in the area?

It's cool that a "new" generation of guys are going the way that you are so I commend you for that...

YU SHAN

Yeah Jake is in Seattle now.. :D

DeLamar.J
08-17-2006, 03:26 PM
lol Man I hate to sound like a **** but isn't Ho Chun notorious for challenging other schools in the area?

It's cool that a "new" generation of guys are going the way that you are so I commend you for that...

YU SHAN

Yeah Jake is in Seattle now.. :D
Yea they challenge. But my instructors knows people that teach there, so there wouldn't be any trouble. Actually I plan on going up there soon to watch the best in action.

Oso
08-17-2006, 07:46 PM
'k...so, somebody clue me in on wtf 'Ho Chun' is.

sounds like a bunch of ****s or a bunch of hardasses....which is okfine by me, fwiw.

IronWeasel
08-18-2006, 09:03 PM
'k...so, somebody clue me in on wtf 'Ho Chun' is.

sounds like a bunch of ****s or a bunch of hardasses....which is okfine by me, fwiw.

Ho Chun:

http://www.shuaichiao.com/

DeLamar.J
08-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Ho Chun:

http://www.shuaichiao.com/I want to go watch GC break through all those bricks, that would be so cool. I know people who have seen it, they say there are no spacers, and the bricks are very thick. I am wanting to start iron palm training but my instructor wont let me just yet, he wants me to do a year or two of hard styles, then I get to do iron palm and tai chi. I am looking forward to the iron palm and the chang tai chi!

Akronviper
08-22-2006, 09:45 AM
What does he have you working on (Shuai Chiao, Hsing I....) What forms are you working on? Normally after you finish the arm grab routine its good to start a new program (Iron Palm, Iron Vest, Muscle Restructure...)