PDA

View Full Version : Question on Chen Style Tai Chi

Daredevil
06-28-2001, 06:19 PM
A friend of mine is intending to study Chen style Tai Chi and I was thinking of accompanying him on the basic course, to get a feel (however brief) for the art. If it's good, I might stick around for more.

I'm just a bit worried with the amount of poor quality Tai Chi around. Though the school does seem to have emphasis where it should be, I thought I'd ask here for any insight into the lineage.

The teacher is a student of Feng Zhiqiang (who was a student of Chen Fake). Is the name familiar to any folks around here?

Thanks for your input.

patriot
06-28-2001, 06:37 PM
Wang Fengming is the son-in-law and heir-apparent of Feng Zhiqiang. He is one of the top Chen masters of his generation. You are lucky to have him in Finland.

Fu-Pow
06-28-2001, 11:54 PM
Yes, the lineage is good. My teacher is also a student of Feng Zhiquiang. Feng Zhiquiang's teacher was Chen Fa-ke who was one of the best, if not THE best Taiji player ever. Like couch tiger said you are lucky.....

Fu-Pow
http://makskungfu.com/images/R7star.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

Daredevil
06-29-2001, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the answers guys. That was certainly reassuring. :)

wujidude
06-29-2001, 10:29 PM
Just had a few classes with Wang Feng Ming on his recent visit to North America. A very approachable teacher, and very knowledgeable. Good translation is critical, though.

While Wang is a senior student (since 1975) of Feng's, most of his studying with Feng was done several years ago. Feng's art keeps evolving as Feng himself keeps learning.

I found Feng's approach to Chen taijiquan very interesting and practical. There's some good information on it at www.hunyuantaiji.com (http://www.hunyuantaiji.com)

patriot
07-02-2001, 03:54 PM
Wujidude,

How do you figure Wang learnt his stuff from Feng only in the past few years. Wang has been living in Finland for over 7 years and spent very little time in Beijing. Are you saying his father-in-law didn't teach him anything worthwhile for over 20 years (since 1975) until only recently? Are you saying Feng didn't evolve his skill to a high level only until recently?? What is the basis of your statement?

wujidude
07-02-2001, 05:06 PM
Couchtiger:

Reread what I posted. We don't disagree. I said that most of Wang Feng Ming's time studying with Feng Zhiqiang (beginning in 1975)was several years ago. I'm well aware he's been in Finland for the past seven years or so . . . and consequently has not had regular access to Feng. That was my point, and what Wang himself said.

And no, Feng Zhiqiang has not developed his skill only in recent years--I didn't say that. I only said that he continues to develop his art--his skill level continues to grow as well, I think. That doesn't imply that he wasn't highly skilled several years ago.

Daredevil
07-02-2001, 11:41 PM
"I found Feng's approach to Chen taijiquan very interesting and practical. There's some good information on it at"

I did check the site, but didn't find too much information on the practical side or differences. How is his approach different and what makes it practical? I'd be interested in hearing.

Thanks.

patriot
07-03-2001, 04:16 PM
info on Feng: http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/SpiritSt/xinyi/taijiquanFZQ_new1.htm

wujidude
07-03-2001, 08:26 PM
Daredevil:

Why don't you go ask Wang Fengming? Isn't he right there in Helsinki? He has a website, I believe, but the folks at www.hunyuantaiji.com (http://www.hunyuantaiji.com) can certainly provide you with current contact information for him.

Feng teaches the full Chen style he learned from Chen Fake, right through Er Lu and the various weapons forms. He introduces taijiquan through a beginning and intermediate form before teaching the Yi Lu and Er Lu of the Chen xinjia style.

When Wang was here we learned the movements of the form along with a number of different applications for each movement. Learning applications right away provides a visualization for using the movements, and one check on whether the basics of alignment, weight distribution, etc. are correct.

A number of different tuishou sets complement forms and application practice. Ultimately, there is a fairly intense san shou practice, which as a beginner I haven't participated in yet. This san shou is not the same as the paired "A" and "B" choreography of some branches of Yang style. It's more true free fighting (actually, free sparring).

Feng puts internal neigong work on an equal footing with forms and tuishou. Part of his philosophy of "self"-defense is nurturing a healthy and strong body/person. He has an elegant Hunyuan qigong set, which is actually a very pleasant warmup to martial practice. If you're into the nurturing and cultivation of qi, a fairly comprehensive theory accompanies the qigong (but is not essential to benefiting from its practice).

What I enjoy the most is the very thorough silk-reeling (chansijin)training, which is more comprehensive and systematic than I've encountered in other Chen systems. This is where I'm really learning to move and respond in a "taiji" way . . . basically retraining my body in fundamental movements, with martial (mostly qinna) applications a nice benefit of the practice.

These are just the thoughts of a beginner.