PDA

View Full Version : Sanchez vs. Paryson

Iron_Eagle_76
08-18-2006, 04:49 AM
Anyone watch the Diego Sanchez vs. Karo Paryson fight last night. Great fight! I really thought Paryson would pull it out, but he winded in the 3rd round. That guy has some great throws. I would like to see a rematch of those two. Anyone have thoughts on the fight??

Charles T Rose
08-18-2006, 05:05 AM
Karo hit some beutiful Judo throws but the problem with most Judo throws is that he doesnt gain top position once it hits the ground.Also it gets much harder to do the explosive movements once the fight goes into the later rounds.That is why wrestling takedowns are prefered in MMA.
Diego came on strong in the 3rd....it was a great fight with some great grappling.

truewrestler
08-18-2006, 06:56 AM
That first uppercut really messed up Karo. Diego's striking has improved a great deal. Can't wait to see Karo fight again and will be interested to see if Diego gets the winner of GSP/Hughes.

http://www.fightreport.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/diego-sanchez_karo-parisyan.gif

qiphlow
08-18-2006, 12:01 PM
that was one of the better ufc matches i've seen lately. didja watch the fight at the end of TUF4? that was also pretty good, i thought.

n00854180t
08-18-2006, 12:46 PM
The Sanchez v Parisyan fight was insane. I really thought Parisyan was going to break Diego's record for a while there. You can tell all that blood in his face was messing him up, and by the times he had Diego down, he wasn't able to really effectively strike. Also, as people have said, it looks like doing some of those Judo throws took it out of him (I mean, he did flip Diego all the way around at least twice...that's got to be a considerable bit more energy expended than with a less devastating leg hook or something). I was surprised it went to decision. After Karo started getting really tired I figured he'd probably get knocked out (**** he took a LOT of hits to the face compared to Diego).

The TUF4 fight was pretty good too. It could have went either way there. I'm surprised someone wasn't submitted or KOed.

Chief Fox
08-18-2006, 01:26 PM
I've never really liked Diego. Not sure why. I liked that he lived pretty clean during TUF but after that it was like he just got really ****y, saying that he's the best in the world. Of course, he's got the record to back it up now.

Last night though, I gained some respect for Diego because he acknowledged that last nights fight was his toughest yet. The guys conditioning is truly amazing. He got dumped on his head at least twice. Had Karo not gassed, the fight may have gone the other way.

Congratulations Diego but Karo has nothing to be ashamed about for sure.

Here's what I want to happen:

George St. Pierre beats Matt Hughes.

Maybe that is such a great fight that there's a rematch.

Then I want George to beat Diego.

Maybe Matt and Karo fight. That would probably be an awesome fight.

Then Maybe Diego and Karo go at it again. Probably another good fight.

Any way you look at it, any fight between George, Matt, Diego and Karo is probably going to be a great fight. But in the end I really like George. I think he's the better all around fighter.

My 2 cents.

n00854180t
08-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Going into the Diego/Karo fight, I really though Karo would pull out a victory. I think you're right, if he hadn't been winded, he probably would have won. It was a pretty close fight (IIRC the judges scores were something like Karo/Diego, 28/29, 28/29, 29/36). I'm really suprised how much of a beating Diego took and he was still throwing some good powered punches. I think the fact that Karo got cut a couple of times within the first two rounds really messed him up too. He was wiping his face alot.

I definitely was rooting for Parisyan though. He seemed like the more likable guy of the two.

shiyonghua
08-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Karo seemed to be legitimately hurt after their first exchange when Sanchez landed that upper cut; you could see him complaining to "Big" John for the first half of the first round. I think that upper cut played against him for the rest of the match. Though the fact that he got winded didn't help either . . .

What I don't like about Sanchez is that I don't think he's fought that many quality opponents. Although anyone who hops in a cage to fight deserves respect, he needs to beat more quality opponents before he starts spouting all that s**t about being the best; I mean he was talking about a title shot as soon as he got into the UFC...

n00854180t
08-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Yeah, definitely Shiyonghua. Parisyan's demeanor in the pre-fight interview instantly earns respect (from me at least). Most guys immediately start talking about how bad they're going to waste the other guy. That tends NEVER to happen how they claim (obviously, no battle plan survives the first encounter). Parisyan came on calm and didn't take notice of the copious sh1ttalking of Sanchez.

WinterPalm
08-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Watching it I really thought that Diego was going to get his neck broken. I could have sworn that those throws were illegal putting the guy onto his head like that. Nonetheless, it was very exciting but I wanted Karo to win...funny how they kept mentioning how Diego didn't care about any of that judo crap then gets thrown around for half the fight.

n00854180t
08-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Yeah, he got tossed, bad, a few times. A lesser fighter would have lost. At least he admitted at the end how tough a fight that was. It was crazy. I really was expecting Parisyan to win.

Dragon Warrior
08-18-2006, 08:58 PM
That fight was awesome. Diego was relentless and no matter what happened he never gave up. I think Karo is better but doesnt have the will of Diego. The reason Karo got so tired is because Diego never stopped putting the pressure on him and never gave him a chance to rest. One of the best fights ever in my opinion.

I think Diego vs. Penn would be a good fight to have next, but Penn would end Diego's winning streak. He's better in all ranges and is mentally just as strong.

Three Harmonies
08-18-2006, 11:09 PM
I missed the end of the show, did Shonie Carter win?
Thanks
Jake

shiyonghua
08-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Shonie Carter won . . . but it was because Matt Serra was in his corner and guided him evrey step of the way. This is not necessarily a hit against Carter, because he is a good fighter, but a plus for Serra; he is a great corner man and a fantasitic corner man. He is a HUGE factor for the grey team...

Three Harmonies
08-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Cool thanks. Who would have thought that Serra would be helping out Carter!?!!?!?!?!?
Cheers
Jake :cool:

Merryprankster
08-19-2006, 08:31 AM
Wow, what an exciting fight between Sanchez and Parisyan!

I did think it would go that way though. I've always gotten the impression that while Diego is awesome, he "shouldn't be as good as he is," so to speak. I mean nothing but good things by that - that he has tremendous faith in himself and worked his ass off to get there.

By contrast, although Karo is clearly outstanding and has also worked hard, I've felt that based on his competition history that he has been a bit disfocused and relied an awful lot on sheer talent - of which he has a great amount.

It brought to mind to me one of Rhadi's favorite adages: "Hard work beats talent when talent won't work hard."

Anyway, that's just always been my gut impression about Parisyan. I'm sure he worked his ass off to train for this, but working your ass off, and working your ass off in a completely focused, intelligent manner are two different things.

BM2
08-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Diego won by an advantage point against Pablo Popovitch and later lost on points to him in another submission wrestling tourney. Pablo beat Renzo Gracie last year without having a point scored on him. Diego is world class elite as a grappler.

Dragon Warrior
08-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Shonie Carter won . . . but it was because Matt Serra was in his corner and guided him evrey step of the way. This is not necessarily a hit against Carter, because he is a good fighter, but a plus for Serra; he is a great corner man and a fantasitic corner man. He is a HUGE factor for the grey team...

I think Shonnie would have won anyway. Matt was a great corner man in that fight but I think Shonnie was just a better fighter than clementi. The biggest influence matt had was evertime clementi went for a submission, matt would scream "he's got nothing," or he would say tell shonnie the escape. Clementi lost his confidence in his submissions and gave up on them. Anyway I thought it was a great fight.

Ford Prefect
08-20-2006, 06:43 AM
I thought it highlighted a main selling point for self defense throws. If that was concrete, Diego would have been brain scrambled many times.

Great fight. I hate Diego, but he impressed me. He dug way down for that last round and finished the fight how a fight should always be finished. It was exciting to watch.

truewrestler
08-23-2006, 08:04 AM
For those who didn't see the fight, go here and just hit search again if results aren't showing:

edit: nevermind, looks like the content was removed from YouTube