PDA

View Full Version : I just resigned from my job.

Oso
08-22-2006, 08:07 AM
and I feel so much better.

4 1/2 years of trying to do too much with too little staff is over.

Now I need to decide what's next.

Still have a month to work out but now maybe I'll sleep again.

yu shan
08-22-2006, 08:09 AM
You talked to me about having something else lined up, did it pan out? Good luck bro, I know how frustrated you were with the CDS.

Chief Fox
08-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Congratulations. I am so jealous.

I've been at my current job for 5 years and most days I sit here wishing that someone would come in and hit me in the head with a hammer.

On to a new chapter. Make it a good one! :)

BruceSteveRoy
08-22-2006, 08:22 AM
CONGRATS!!! If i had a glass i would toast to new beginnings. mmm... toast.

Yao Sing
08-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Don't suppose you have any funds packed away to hold you until the school picks up.

Do you have a skills to freelance for extra money until the school generates enough income?

MasterKiller
08-22-2006, 09:09 AM
You are braver than me!

I am reminded of Beowulf: "Fate often saves an undoomed man when his courage is good."

Oso
08-22-2006, 09:20 AM
yu shan: yes. that prospect is still a very good one but won't pick up till October or November. I've been helping with it some on a part time basis and will continue to do so until it opens up. It's not a 100% guaranteed thing but still a good 75% shot.

CF: I've been wishing the same thing. The last straw was last week when I got raked over the coals for questioning someone's assumption that I could drop whatever I'm doing to do something else they needed done w/o any prior notice...not a little thing either...putting together four lab tables.

mmmm....toast w/ peanut butter and jelly and a good cup of french roast ethiopian yrgacheffe...

YS: yes, worst case scenario is that I have 3 months in the bank. It wasn't a rash decision...hell, I will have been here 4 and a half years come sept 06 and I've been wanting out for four....and, yea, I've got a couple of scab jobs I could do...work for a landscaper or an arborist or hang my shingle out as a handyman again.

mostly, I want to spend the free time marketing the school like I can't do with the full time job...do some demos at some schools and stuff.

Yao Sing
08-22-2006, 09:23 AM
I didn't leave my job, my job left me (relocated to another state). I wasn't making enough to keep my school open so that closed.

I've been freelancing the last 2 1/2 years with plans of getting another class going.

I do a couple of different things for money right now and when I add a KF class to the income I might just make enough to stay on my own. The only wrinkle in that plan is a job offer on the horizon. If the pay is right I might take it but I'll need to relocate about 100 miles.

I'm waiting to see where that goes before starting up a class.

Oso, unless you take a bs job just to pay the bills you might want to try the self-employed route. That way you can faze it out as the school grows. You are looking to to be a full-time teacher with a commercial school right?

Of course if you have kids you probably need the security of a steady job with health benefits.

Oso
08-22-2006, 09:36 AM
I've tried to go my own a couple of times...both after making major moves (new town 1.5-3 hours away from the last town). Not really something I want to do again as a full time prospect.

I've got an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a new consulting business. The woman who is starting it up has worked in statistics and modeling for the pharmacuetical and medical industry for the last decade or so and is going it on her own and has asked me to come in as her Operations Manager. In the beginning I will pretty much be everything from office beyotch to assisting with research...just helped her a bit with a lit review on congestive heart failure.

so, pretty excited about that, her offer to me is on paper but the timing is variable.

oh, and I've thought about going back to bouncing part time just for a few months...maybe at a strip club :p

Yao Sing
08-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Bouncing at a strip club? And they pay you for that?

KF practice plus eye candy. Where do I sign up? :D

Oso
08-22-2006, 01:05 PM
yea...from guys I've talked to the pay is minimum wage but you get tipped out from the girls...

my girlfriend has already so nowayinhell, though....:(

GeneChing
08-22-2006, 03:43 PM
I worked with a dude who used to be a bouncer at a strip club. We made swords together, if you can beleive that. He was a feisty one and used to date strippers. That's a really messed up way to go, dating strippers, just think about it. Anyway, he often used to complain about what a horrid job it had been. He had to work with some really scummy clientele and explain to them the rules (they can touch you but you can't touch them). He made is sound like a hellish job. But then again, he was a dark character. I watched him headbutt this street person who was getting in our shop and messing stuff up once. Actually, I didn't see it personally. I should say I heard it. A big crack. Then a bloody-faced street person.

lunghushan
08-22-2006, 03:55 PM
That's a really messed up way to go, dating strippers, just think about it.

I would rather make swords than date strippers but unfortunately I don't have time for either one.

But what's wrong with dating strippers? A lot of them are just nice college girls, right? (Actually I have no idea because I've never been to a place, but that's what they tell me).

Actually I knew a guy once who dated strippers and he caught something from one of them. Never would tell us what, maybe just crabs but it sounded more serious.

Oso
08-22-2006, 07:19 PM
not that I wouldn't date a stripper...if everything else clicked...but I wouldn't do it for the women.

...just saying that if you're gonna be a bouncer you might as well be surrounded by nekkid wimmins.

Reggie1
08-23-2006, 07:16 AM
CF: I've been wishing the same thing. The last straw was last week when I got raked over the coals for questioning someone's assumption that I could drop whatever I'm doing to do something else they needed done w/o any prior notice...not a little thing either...putting together four lab tables.

The woman who is starting it up has worked in statistics and modeling for the pharmacuetical and medical industry for the last decade or so Oso, what kind of work do you do? It sounds a lot like the industry I'm in.

Oso
08-23-2006, 06:04 PM
I've been doing property maintenance for about 11 years now. My title has recently been "Facilities Manager" but i'm really just a maintenance supervisor.

6 years has been in resort maintenance...which I really liked a lot.

the last 4.5 have been at a private school.

the potential new job is in a totally new direction.

BlueTravesty
08-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Congrats, Oso. I'm changing pastures too (hoping the new pastures will be much greener, but where I'm coming from, there's no way to go but up.) Hope it all goes well for you!

Oso
09-28-2006, 08:23 PM
last day at the old job was today. good riddance.

the job with the start up business didn't pan out.

have a 3rd interview Monday with a company that does solar heating, spa sales and service and pool installation and maintenance. They basically gave me an offer today but I wanted to meet one more time to finalize pay and benefits before accepting.

basically, I'm going to be a pool guy.

ok, I know. but, the pay is much better than I expected, the company actually seems to need someone like me and...

MILF's

MILF's that own pools and hot tubs...

that's all I'm saying....

:cool:

Hau Tien
09-29-2006, 07:32 PM
last day at the old job was today. good riddance.
MILF's

Thats all you need to say. ;)

rogue
09-30-2006, 07:35 PM
basically, I'm going to be a pool guy.

ok, I know. but, the pay is much better than I expected, the company actually seems to need someone like me and...

MILF's

"Fuqin pool boys chasin after my wife", mutters a pizzed off Rogue as he throws another shovel full of dirt into his pool.

Oso
10-01-2006, 04:50 AM
LOL

pool 'man'...

and I don't chase 'em...they chase me :cool:

Oso
10-02-2006, 11:09 AM
so, things are pretty much squared away, I start Wednesday.

it will be a pretty good situation. It will take about three weeks for the owner to buy another vehicle and get is upfitted but then I'll be pretty much working out of the truck and to an extent, making my own schedule. He pretty much wants techs to hit 5 service calls a day/25 a week. I will be able to schedule the calls myself as long as I don't let calls get too behind.

some of the negatives:
average vacation/holiday/sick benefits. I've been used to a really generous policy so I'll have to get used to what's normal.

i'll be buying my own health insurance for a year...that's going to be a bit costly but I was prepared to self insure.

the owner has already let me know he's dealing with some issues with the rest of his staff and that part of the reason he's glad to get a hold of someone like me is that I'll be able to hit the ground running a bit faster than most people and he's hoping my management experience will keep me from getting wrapped up in the situation. so, not necessarily going to fun fitting in to the 'crew' but at least I know about it ahead of time.