PDA

View Full Version : Goal-setting in Martial Arts?

Fu-Pow
08-22-2006, 02:23 PM
I think its easier when you are a newbie because your teacher says, "this is the goal." When you get some experience you realize that you need to be setting your own goals.

How do you folks set goals in martial arts? I find it exceedingly difficult. According to a book I read in order for goals to carry any weight they need to be measurable, have a dealine, be action-oriented and only be dependent on you.

It seems that we all have a general idea that we'd like to be a "master" but what does master mean? Is martial arts part of some larger goal for you? How do know you've reached your goal?

lunghushan
08-22-2006, 02:28 PM
I don't think you should set goals for yourself in martial arts or you will just be frustrated. If you set goals, make them easy goals.

For example, a couple of years ago I set a goal for myself for becoming proficient in martial arts applications.

So I searched for a school that had a lot of applications training and sparring closeby (or within reasonable driving distance). Couldn't find one. Searched for a private teacher who was willing to work on what I wanted to work on. Couldn't find one. Searched for training partners who were willing to work on what I wanted to work on. Couldn't find them.

So as of last week, I have given up. If you set a martial arts goal, maybe you will have to move somewhere else to accomplish that goal. Or maybe that's just being optimistic.

David Jamieson
08-22-2006, 02:48 PM
The goal of Kungfu is different from the goal of martial art training.

For instance, the goal of Kungfu is to become highly adept at being human. Sort of along the lines of teh 8 fold path in practice. The martial arts practice gives you the "hands" so to speak to carry out these righteous things.

However, the goal of martial arts practice can be wholly seperate from teh goal of Kungfu as the greater aspect.

Goal can be, I want to be able to go 3 full rounds of full contact fiughting for 5 minutes a round.

next step is to go about training that will help you achieve that. Tons of endurance and strength training, spped and reflex training, sparring and drills, and so on with the goal being to succeed at what you've set out to do.

as for Kungfu, the goal is a continuing and evolving thing isn't it. as you strive at becoming a better human being, you have to face infinitely more challenges than those that are presented to you in a mere fight.

just my opinion.

lunghushan
08-22-2006, 02:57 PM
'Kungfu' just means being better at something or having skill at something. It's got nothing to do with being a better human being.

Reading the Lama Pai threads their teacher was a great martial artist but a terrible human being.

For instance, the goal of Kungfu is to become highly adept at being human. Sort of along the lines of teh 8 fold path in practice.

I mean, where do you get this stuff, David? Who says this is 'the goal'???

David Jamieson
08-22-2006, 03:21 PM
what is the goal of your personal kungfu?

mine is probably different from yours. I am not saying mine is what it is, nor am i saying anyone elses is, im saying for me, that's what kungfu is.

lunghushan
08-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Well I don't have any goals for martial arts anymore. :) Except to stay as far away from teachers as possible.

yutyeesam
08-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi Fu-Pow,
Good topic. At this stage of the game, the goal setting revolves around what type of routine do I want to set up for myself. We already know what it takes to get better at abc thru xyz. For me, the challenge is to incorporate things into my daily routine. For example, my training has been very external this summer, I didn't spend very much time with Wuji. So I'm trying to get that into my regular schedule.

I have tons of goals with MA. And all of it is to improve the overall quality of what I know. So I just choose 1-2 things and give myself a timeline to focus on it...and incorporate it into my routine. With all the stuff that we are taught in our CLF curriculum, you could kind of do a rotating curriculum with your own training.

mantis108
08-22-2006, 07:06 PM

For instance, the goal of Kungfu is to become highly adept at being human. Sort of along the lines of teh 8 fold path in practice. The martial arts practice gives you the "hands" so to speak to carry out these righteous things.

However, the goal of martial arts practice can be wholly seperate from teh goal of Kungfu as the greater aspect.

Goal can be, I want to be able to go 3 full rounds of full contact fiughting for 5 minutes a round.

next step is to go about training that will help you achieve that. Tons of endurance and strength training, spped and reflex training, sparring and drills, and so on with the goal being to succeed at what you've set out to do.

as for Kungfu, the goal is a continuing and evolving thing isn't it. as you strive at becoming a better human being, you have to face infinitely more challenges than those that are presented to you in a mere fight.

just my opinion.

Just wanted to say, that's adeptly put, DJ. IMHO Kung Fu is to become proficient at humanity via the study of martial academia. :)

Warm regards

Mantis108

Tingjid
08-22-2006, 07:38 PM
From a personal standpoint I completely agree with Mr. Jameison. My goal with all the different aspects of kung fu that I practice is to improve myself in the truest sense. I believe that to be the goal of all practice, self improvement. But this is where people tend to disagree, it's an easy argument to say that practice in the martial arts is about self improvement, but who's to say what about you is worth improving.

I'm a peaceful person, I've honestly never been in a real fight, I train everyday and given the opportunity I will gladly spend the entirety of my life without having to go into a live situation, but nor will I shrink away from one if it's important. That said my martial training isn't about the ability to inflict damage or even the ability to protect people, it's about improving myself. And no, not improving my cat stance, improving who I am at a base level, an improved cat stance is just a nice side effect :D

For people out there that are training to improve their fighting ability or their cat stance, that's a legitimate goal, it really is, and I'm glad your training, and I think as a side effect you're improving yourself. I've even seen that, I've trained with a guy that used to get into bar fights all the time, at the drop of a hat he was ready to throw down, after he got into the martial arts (and his goal was to improve his fighting ability) he calmed down. A few months ago we were talking and he mentioned something that happened at a bar, it was the usual guy talks crap story, and I was expecting it to end with the usual testosterone laced beat down, but he told me he just walked away. I asked why and he said he didn't want to hurt the guy, I mentioned that I hadn't expected that and he just kind of smiled and said yeah, he hadn't expected it either.

I guess the point of that story is simple, it just makes me happy that no matter why you're training, or what your goal is, you can still be doing good things for your self. If training is a form of self improvement, then no matter what part of yourself you train to improve you'll always be improving your inner self.

lunghushan
08-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Lunghushan, why the hell are you here? Why are you on an MA forum if all you do is complain about the martial arts. The more I read your whiny little posts the more I realize how stupid you are. With your "I've given up on teachers" and your "all kung fu schools are wrong" crap. If your so sure your right about everything just go train and live a happy fulfilling life knowing that your right and everyone else is wrong.

You obviously didn't take the time to read Fu-Pows posts (or didn't posses the reading comprehension skills to understand it). He said its better to set goals that can be achieved, and that rely on you alone. Your goal (although extremely vague, rather difficult and undeterminable) relied almost souly on outside help. That is why it failed. And so what if you cant find any training partners or good teachers. You would quit that easily? If you ever want to suceed in MA you need to learn that giving up is NOT an option. Keep looking. Keep training on your own. Hell even making up apps on your own and practicing with a friend (you do have a friend right?) is better than nothing. And if you don't have any goals in MA anymore than your not an MAist. MA is all about goals. Without goals you cannot move forward. Grow up!

Oh, go spout off to somebody who wants to listen to you. Obviously you miss the point of what I'm saying as well.

Mook Jong
08-22-2006, 08:10 PM
Please Lunghushan and Street fight just stop this now Fu Pow had a great idea so plz dont ruin it with arguing. If you two want to fight, please do it in private rather than turn yet another thread on this site into a flame war.

Mook Jong
08-22-2006, 08:14 PM
It seems to me that reasons and goals for training vary with time. When i started training i just wanted something interesting to try out. The more i learned, the more i saw how defenseless i would have actually been in a fight so it shifted into i want to learn how to brawl. Now it's more that i just want to stay in shape and the defense aspect is just and outstanding bonus :D . That plus now i look forward to seeing my training brothers and sisters every few days and catching up with them.

lunghushan
08-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Please Lunghushan and Street fight just stop this now Fu Pow had a great idea so plz dont ruin it with arguing. If you two want to fight, please do it in private rather than turn yet another thread on this site into a flame war.

Sorry, Mook Jong.

Basically I guess my point if I was trying to make one is, trying to be a 'master' is too nebulous a goal.

If you want to say, work on your axe kick, for example, make that better, that might be a more realistic goal. Or do more drills.

But yeah, Street makes a good point that goals that rely on others might lead to disappointment.

Ray Pina
08-23-2006, 07:43 AM
In the past, I used to let my mouth get me into trouble about things I seen and was learning but could not replicate... I trained so I could back it up.

I used to have specific people in mind when training.... started fighting out so as to gain experience and test with them in mind.

Realised there's a lot better fighters out there than the original people I was concerned about.

Trained to be able to compare with fighters of a certain caliber.

Now, I'm actually kind of over it. I have fought enough to know how to judge if a technique suits me or not. Now, I'm fighting to see what's inside of me. See what I got. I was disapointed in my last fight, my fight spirit. That's what I want to see this time.

After that, I'm going to train some new material for a month and take it easy, hopefully get some good surf.

My advice, start off with broad goals: learn the basics. Then refine and focus them. But constantly check yourself and see if you're progressing towards you goal, not slacking. Make a goal you want, not that you feel you need.

charyuop
08-23-2006, 08:07 AM
I am about to start Tai Chi training and personally I didn't set any goal, nor I plan to do it. IMO setting goals is like setting limits and why wanting to set limit when you learn something new? I understand that for some people setting a goal can be a stimulus in going on with the MA, but it can be a double edge knife because when you set your goals you might make the error on concentrating on your goal and close your mind to other things....kinda hard to explain what I mean, I tried the best I could sorry.

Ray Pina
08-23-2006, 09:50 AM
It's a good point. But I feel it's more dangerous to just go to class and hope for the best.

The difference in applicable skill between those that I know who train with useage in mind and those that I know "just do it," is huge. Mindset and intention are important.

Even if you just want to do form, wushu, you have to perform your form with more vigor, heart than the guy who just shows up to class and follows along.

Passion counts for a lot.

Your goals can change. If you're truly goal oriented, as soon as you achieve one another will pop up soon enough. I'm carefree and can drift for a while, but I wouldn't pursue a course of study in that manner.

David Jamieson
08-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Mindset and intention are important

some would say they are the glue that binds everything.