PDA

View Full Version : Internal Shin kicks

Panther
07-02-2001, 04:17 AM
I was just wondering if there are any internal arts that emphasis Shin kicks and or blocks?
I was told that Bagua and Hsing-I has these incorporated into their style?

Sam Wiley
07-03-2001, 03:29 PM
Hi Panther,
I'm not sure about Xingyi, but I do know that Bagua concentrates a lot on shin and knee kicks and blocks and jams for these low types of kicks. My style of Bagua has a training method called the Eight Kicking method, which contains some wonderfully effective blocks to low kicks as well as some very powerful shin and knee kicks.

"I put forth my power and he was broken.
I withdrew my power and he was ground into fine dust."
-Aleister Crowley, The Vision and the Voice

Panther
07-03-2001, 08:40 PM
very helpful, thanks

Kaitain(UK)
07-05-2001, 11:18 AM
any style that uses a lot of structure breakdowns needs to have low kicks - they aren't executed as a sole technique though. I tend to use the shin kick as I'm striking in close with both forearms/elbows, it removes any hope they may have had of staying rooted or controlling my energy. I always use it if someone is moving in - their upper body keeps moving but their leg stops.

I'm not using the kick on offence so much now though - I tend to plant the foot with kick and quickly bend into the knee, the pressure will hyper-extend the opponents knee and also stop their retreat (a type of split really).

Golden Cockerel posture = shin block if you want it to.

I don't know of any shin kicks though - they are only used on turning kicks and Taiji doesn't use outside angle kicks. Most Taiji kicks use the heel or outside of the foot.

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"