PDA

View Full Version : Watched two Rarescope flicks the other week...

BlueTravesty
08-23-2006, 09:07 AM
And my eyes are still aching :(

The two in particular were "Ninjas and Dragons" and "The Face Behind the Mask." Both were very entertaining, but only in a "Mystery Science Theatre" sort of way. The fact that they're subtitled is very good, but those subtitles are INCREDIBLY hard to read at times. All in all, they were a good laugh for $9 a pop.

My favorite part of Ninjas and Dragons was kung fu midget with a penchant for stabbing people in the butt. The guardsman who demonstrated his Kung Fu prowess by saying "I have Kung Fu" and plugging one nostril to blow on a miniature Dao was a close second.

The best part of "The Face Behind the Mask" was the fact that anyone wearing Blue in that movie ended up dying.

Has anyone else seen these?

jethro
08-25-2006, 11:26 AM
And my eyes are still aching :(

The two in particular were "Ninjas and Dragons" and "The Face Behind the Mask." Both were very entertaining, but only in a "Mystery Science Theatre" sort of way. The fact that they're subtitled is very good, but those subtitles are INCREDIBLY hard to read at times. All in all, they were a good laugh for $9 a pop.

My favorite part of Ninjas and Dragons was kung fu midget with a penchant for stabbing people in the butt. The guardsman who demonstrated his Kung Fu prowess by saying "I have Kung Fu" and plugging one nostril to blow on a miniature Dao was a close second.

The best part of "The Face Behind the Mask" was the fact that anyone wearing Blue in that movie ended up dying.

Has anyone else seen these?

Ninjas and Dragon's was ok at best but check but Face Behind the Mask again. And personally I thought the little kid was scary.

Jimbo
08-31-2006, 02:27 PM
jethro:
Be on the lookout for "Drunken Dragon" a.k.a., "The Exciting Dragon" from rarescope. It's actually the first movie I went to see when I moved to Taiwan in early 1985, and I'm sure, one of the very last of the old-school, "period" kung-fu films. Yeah it's cheesy and goofy, and a scene of a pregnant woman getting kicked is disgusting, but it stars Phillip Ko as the weirdly caped villain, Liang Jia-ren (Leung Ka-Yan) as the eccentric old genius, Sun Kuo-Ming as the lead character, and Chiang Sheng as the old grandma(!). I am sure Chiang Sheng (who died in Taiwan in 1991 and is most famous as one of the Venoms) played female characters in Peking Opera days, for it shows in this performance that he seemed comfortable playing such characters.

Is it a classic? Probably not, but it's entertaining, and has some bone-crunching kung fu fights somewhat reminiscent of the TLC (tables, ladders and chairs) matches in WWE. In subsequent viewings, I realized there aren't a whole lot of fights in the movie, but they are well-done, and the training sequences are better than average. One of the choreographers of the movie was an older kung-fu classmate of mine for a while in the '80s in Taipei (Ahn Chin-Tien).

jethro
08-31-2006, 10:44 PM
!!Drunken Dragon so so, btu I did really enjoy it.

sorry my note isn;t longer, I usually look on this site for about an hour after I get off of work, then they kick me out

GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK THOUGH

jethro
09-07-2006, 12:58 PM
On Drunken Dragon I loved a few things. The fat girl was cool. I wish she had another fight or two. The stunts were UNREAL. Some of the best stuntwork I have seen in a while. And paddle style used in Hell'z Windstaff by Hoi Meng ain't got nothin on the paddle styel used at the beginning of this movie.

But the movie was slow as hell. I liked how it had the woo pign style with all of the magic and stuff but their wasn't quite enough of it. Then the scene where Beardy shows up to meet up with Granny again. The scene was funny but BEARDY DOES NTO FIGHT!!!!! Unacceptable! I don't knwo what the hell he was doing in the first fight. He was taking pictures and then the camera became a bomb. The training sequences were pretty good, but my favorite part is where they show beardy riding that bike.

Decent movie at best but I liked it.

BlueTravesty
09-09-2006, 11:47 AM
Man, with all these reviews and recommendations, I'm not going to have any money left once I start my new job next week :( :) These all look like fun purchases though. If I only get two it'll still be a fun weekend! Those two will probably have to be CLF Kung Fu and Drunken Dragons. I'm looking forward to "Love and Sword" also.

jethro
09-09-2006, 01:44 PM
I saw a book from like 91 that had reviews of hong kong movies, it gave Ninja's in Ancient China the lowest rating possible. But that doesn't mean I won't get it. The ones on from the trailers that I am really waiting for was that last movie they showed where the guys are each fighting with a sword in one hand and an umbrella in the other in the rain. I HAVE TO GET THAT MOVIE!!!!! And then that one flick with Tien Peng where he cuts down like 50 dudes-3 Famous Constables.

BlueTravesty
09-11-2006, 10:34 PM
I saw a book from like 91 that had reviews of hong kong movies, it gave Ninja's in Ancient China the lowest rating possible. But that doesn't mean I won't get it. The ones on from the trailers that I am really waiting for was that last movie they showed where the guys are each fighting with a sword in one hand and an umbrella in the other in the rain. I HAVE TO GET THAT MOVIE!!!!! And then that one flick with Tien Peng where he cuts down like 50 dudes-3 Famous Constables.

I agree about the fight in the rain... that looked pretty cool!