PDA

View Full Version : New 8-Step Videos

lapu_squared
08-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that we've been very fortunate to get several new videos of GM Wei's students and their students performing various forms. As usual, all are available on the http://www.8-step.com web site. One video shows Mr. Zuo, who teaches 8-Step in Taiwan, performing the first part of a sword form. Another shows Mr. Wu, who teaches in Texas, performing Pai An with one of his students, H.C. Chang. The other two videos show H.C. Chang performing Sections 1 and 2. We are very grateful to them for sharing these videos with us and allowing us to make them available to you via the Internet. If you're an 8-Step practitioner, or just curious about 8-Step, I hope you'll enjoy these clips and find them interesting. Any and all feedback is welcome.

Mantis Pride
08-25-2006, 06:52 AM
Li pi one of my favorite forms. The translation Mr Zhou is doing is very similar to our set. I love variations.:)

yu shan
08-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Thanks for putting this up, really enjoyed the video. Question, is there video somewhere of your partnered Qi Shou (7 hands)? I showed Tony Puyot our ling form for Qi Shou and he really liked it.

Michael Dasargo
08-25-2006, 11:48 AM
Lapu,

Once again, thank you and your family for your continued openess with the public. The Pai An video in itslef serves as a comprehensive representation of the differences between 7 Star and 8 Step. While there are definately commonalities, what I observed was the additional emphasis of sticking, following, folding, and bumping.

best regards,
M.Dasargo

mooyingmantis
08-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Lapu,

Once again, thank you and your family for your continued openess with the public. The Pai An video in itslef serves as a comprehensive representation of the differences between 7 Star and 8 Step. While there are definately commonalities, what I observed was the additional emphasis of sticking, following, folding, and bumping.

best regards,
M.Dasargo

Agreed! The Pai An was fascinating to watch.
Thanks for posting it!
Richard

MantisCool
08-25-2006, 10:42 PM
I agreed too! Very informative to see the Pai An from other schools. In our school, our emphasis is on speed therefore less sticking is seen. If we were to stand closer than the sticking and following would come in.

Thanks for sharing.

Rgds
khoo

mantis108
08-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Indeed the 8 step version of Pai An is excellent. I understand that this is also known as Pai An Sao Tang which refers to the floor sweeping kick. I believe the kick section at the end can be done with quite a few different kick combos. In the CCK TCPM version, we do Furen Jiao (axe blade kick) combo instead. I was told that there is a 3 large kicks combo but no one seems to remember how it was done in our style. So I believe the 8 Step version provided the answer to that. Pai An is definitely a great drill to train many aspects of Tanglang.

BTW, I agreed with Mantiscool. I think the Tie Kao can come in at later stage depending on the focus of the training. It should be trained for sure.

Thanks for sharing Lapu_squared. :)

Warm regards

Mantis108

yu shan
08-26-2006, 11:00 AM
It was a treat to see Ba Bu`s Pai An. I really enjoy this drill and we do it often. Robert, I remember you saying on more than one occasion that the Pai An is a good method of training the differant aspects of TL. I would love to expand on this, maybe a new topic `hint hint`.;) If it has been talked about in detail before my apologies, then maybe someone can dig up the thread. Anyway, Robert I would like very much to hear what you have to say. I`ll come back to this, off to lion dance.