PDA

View Full Version : pluto demoted: 8 planet solar system.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-24-2006, 08:47 PM
... someones pic from another forum. (http://users.1st.net/abaddon/funny/pluto.jpg)

story ...
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-pluto25aug25,0,1325722.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Flying-Monkey
08-25-2006, 04:47 AM
Yeah, that was lame.

David Jamieson
08-25-2006, 04:55 AM
It's actually just been formalized so as to advance the change in thought in the schools. Pluto has been considered a mere object of teh Kuiper Belt for some time by Astronomers and hasn't really been regarded as a true planet for a while in that community.

But, I think they said, enough is enough, let's call a spade a spade and this is a dwarf planet like the several other dwarf planets in our solar system.

Moons and Kuiper Belt object like PLuto or Sedna don't have the mass to be counted as "planets".

nothing lame about it imo.
It's not like we can't still write lyrics into songs about pluto. :p

Flying-Monkey
08-25-2006, 05:19 AM
I just think it is lame because I grew up learning that it was a planet.

By the way, the Moon is a proper name. The others are satellites.

BruceSteveRoy
08-25-2006, 06:40 AM
as long as they leave uranus alone its ok.

Radhnoti
08-25-2006, 07:02 AM
BruceSteveRoy - as long as they leave uranus alone its ok.

...hmmm...same advice my dad gave me before my first doctor's visit...

They never should have named a planet after Mickey's dog anyway.

Seriously, I'm glad they're cutting Pluto loose as a planet. By the time they're done discovering "planetoids" that're Pluto's size circling our sun, the number of names of planets kids would have to remember in school would be ridiculous. (Xena, Gabriella, etc.) It's a decent reminder, too, that science is a process where things get refined. I'm sure that fact will be drowned out by all the complaining adults though, "Ah, man! I memorized that one word all this time for nothin'!" :rolleyes:

yenhoi
08-25-2006, 07:25 AM
they should have officially stripped it of its name also, it now only deserves a number or letter or small combo.

yenhoi
08-25-2006, 07:26 AM
So are plutons bigger than planetoids? Whats the deal?

BlueTravesty
08-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Speaking of which, what ever happened to that "other" planet they discovered a few months back? I remembered my wife was watching the news one day, and she was like "Whoa, there's a new planet." and I'm all like "Huh, how about that." and then after that I heard nothing.

David Jamieson
08-25-2006, 10:13 AM
That was Sedna and it was not classified as a planet but rather yet another Kuiper Belt object.

there are likely many of these moon sized planets in the Kuiper belt and around it. As time goes and more is know, our solar system will likely be found to be rife with these wayward sattelites.

more on sedna here. http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/sedna/#planets

as well, there is info on teh page regarding classification of planets etc.

golden arhat
08-25-2006, 10:23 AM
ah good old anus jokes

how does this relate to kung fu again ?

Mr Punch
08-25-2006, 09:52 PM
That article was actually quite cool!

The quotes from the 93 yr-old whatername and the kids sound like something from The Onion! :D

It's actually just been formalized so as to advance the change in thought in the schools. Pluto has been considered a mere object of teh Kuiper Belt for some time by Astronomers and hasn't really been regarded as a true planet for a while in that community.According to that article there was still a lot of debate on it and a lot of astronomers still disagree. I guess David Jamieson had decided it wasn't a planet!

ah good old anus jokes

how does this relate to kung fu again ?GDA posted it. He is Kung Fu!

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-25-2006, 09:53 PM
That was Sedna and it was not classified as a planet but rather yet another Kuiper Belt object.

there are likely many of these moon sized planets in the Kuiper belt and around it. As time goes and more is know, our solar system will likely be found to be rife with these wayward sattelites.

more on sedna here. http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/sedna/#planets

as well, there is info on teh page regarding classification of planets etc.

kung lek knows lots of stuff.

FuXnDajenariht
08-26-2006, 10:48 AM
yea i heard that for years most astronomers haven't considered it a planet anyway. but now for whatever reason their trying to finalize it. i think their fighting the public outcry on this one though. things like this should be left to the scientists. we know how well public opinion works in politics. :rolleyes:

SPJ
08-27-2006, 07:37 AM
It is just a naming game.

As ideas evolve, the name or categorization will change again.

In the old China, the names of officialdom changed with each dynasty.

the hat or headwear (Ding Dai), clothes (Guan Pao) and "sashes" (Chan Yao) changed, too.

But a minister is still a minister. A provincial governor is still a governor.

No matter what names, head gear or clothes are used.

:D

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-28-2006, 09:09 AM
GDA posted it. He is Kung Fu!

this is true.

i kick people's face off.

SPJ
08-29-2006, 07:42 AM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/health/bal-plutoside0825,0,6367343.story?coll=bal-home-headlines

:D