PDA

View Full Version : Tae Kwon Do

Kairo
10-16-2001, 08:33 PM
Whats ur thoughts on TKD? Good points? Bad points?
Lemme know.
Thanks for ur time,
k.

ewallace
10-16-2001, 08:48 PM
Great for sport/cardio. I don't think that it is very good self-defense art. Just my .02

- Eric

Victory goes to he who makes the next-to-last mistake.

Shaolindynasty
10-16-2001, 08:51 PM
Maybe a little underated by martial artists and a little over rated by the general public. I think TKD could be good for self defense if you had the right teacher.

New classes New online Catalog
www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

David
10-16-2001, 09:01 PM
I have always been of the opinion that Western Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai and Tae Kwon Do were "youngsters sports" until I had a long talk with a TKD man whilst visiting friends a couple of weeks ago.

By "youngsters sports" I mean that once you've passed your physical prime, you deteriorate, can't keep up etc. Then, like in any normal sport, you can become a manager or a trainer, training new students who can basically whip your ass.

Talking to this guy, though changed that: he knows about TKD masters in their late years kicking the asses of the younger guys. He really believed he had long term growth within the style and enthused about it like I do my kungfu. His son is following in his father's footsteps, too.

In discussing aspects of our styles, he readily admitted that his was more sport oriented and he would definitely be worried about taking on a CMA in the street or even sparring. Kungfu "grabs" was the first thing he mentioned in this context - he fights with clenched fists. He was also seriously doubtful that his kicks would "cut the mustard".

On every aspect of fighting, the kungfu had more to offer and a corresponding lengthening of learning time requirements. He did say though, that as you get older with TKD, subtle moves and adjustments which come from experience make the fighter increasingly versatile and able. Fair comment that obviously applies to kungfu, too.

It was a good talk and I, for one, went away with a greater respect of the other's style.

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

atsai
10-16-2001, 09:08 PM
why don't you get yourself some coffee and donut then search the archive--before they go down w/ the ship.

<TABLE BORDER="3" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1"><TR><TD><form><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE=" Art Tsai " onClick="parent.location='http://people.we.mediaone.net/arttsai/home.html'"></TD></TR></table></form><HR Width="97%">"You fight like you train." --Motto, USN Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

LEGEND
10-16-2001, 09:10 PM
Great SPORT...great for cardio and flexibility...limitation for the OLD though...not street relistic.
There are KOREAN masters that can fight but they use HEADBUTTING and HARD strikes( ridge hands etc.. ). I have not really seen the various high kicks used with success in any street fight.
Only other NEGATIVE is how they run there business...most instructors do not teach...they usually sit in their office only coming up to sell a product to visitors. Kinda BS since they advertised learn from a WORLD CHAMP.

A

shaolinboxer
10-16-2001, 09:11 PM
There are many styles of TKD. That's like asking, what do you think of kung fu?

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat

wu_de36
10-16-2001, 09:14 PM
yeah right. Ask Jhoon Rhee.

ExitusDeorum
10-16-2001, 09:14 PM
I agree with what your friend says, Dave.

Me and a few of my martial arts buddies get together every week at college to train together and quite a few of them do TKD, which is very popular here in the midlands.

With my 'poncey' 7 Star Techniques, I've found that I tend to be far more aggressive and adaptable when facing them in sparring. But this does not at all deter them from their style, implying that there must be something to keep the students in training! :)

From what I've seen of TKD, it looks like great fun, athletic and motivating, instilling discipline and respect for other - a true Martial Way!

"Cry shamefully and let loose the turnips of war!"

Robinf
10-16-2001, 09:40 PM
Studying Taekwondo for going on 8 years, I'll put in my actual knowledge.

TKD is every bit as good for self-defense as everything else, except for the short coming of there being no ground fighting--then you'd have to rely on instincts or cross training.

What everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, sees of TKD is the Olympic sport sparring, which can be used for self-defense if that's what you practice. BUT, TKD has as many hand techniques, traps, blocks, throws, etc. as well as foot techniques as it needs to be perfectly effective for self-defense that aren't used in Sport Sparring.

As ShoalinDynasty mentioned, you have to find the right teacher. Far too many teachers only teach the sport sparring and the forms are taught as, I don't know what. The forms are actually to help teach the self-defense (as kung fu uses forms), along with two-person drills, sparring (self-defense), etc.

That is my knowlege of Taekwondo. I'm not the end all be all of knowledge on Taekwondo, but at least I have a solid base for my opinion.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

gazza99
10-16-2001, 09:46 PM
"TKD is every bit as good for self-defense as everything else, except for the short coming of there being no ground fighting--then you'd have to rely on instincts or cross training."

I totally DISagree with the above, TKD has to be the least effective style for self defense that I have seen!! Its a great sport/excersize, but from what ive seen the combat applications are very lacking. But hey I havent seen everyone, but I have yet to meet a TKD guy who could fight well, many will even admit they had to move to another style to learn to defend themselves.
Gary

"Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"-Dennis Miller
www.pressurepointfighting.com (http://www.pressurepointfighting.com)

Buhma
10-16-2001, 09:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But hey I havent seen everyone, but I have yet to meet a TKD guy who could fight well, many will even admit they had to move to another style to learn to defend themselves.
[/quote]

Yeah that happened to me....but with Kung Fu. I had to go to BJJ and Muy Thai to really learn to defend myself. By the way, I was in Wing Chun for quite awhile.

As for the effectiveness of TKD...I consider it in the same league as CMA. As Robin said it is just as effective/ineffective as any other stand up only style.

<hr>
If ya ain't got the skills, I will take you out!

Dark Knight
10-16-2001, 10:10 PM
TKD needs to add to its hands training. my biggest complaint about TKD is its common for the instructors to lie to the students about other styles to build thier own...

Some of my favorites
"All martial arts came from TKD"
"The reason a TKD guy has never won is because no one ever kicked full power at a UFC"
"Ju-Jitsu guys have never seen a roundhouse kick before, they wouldnt know how to handle one"

And the list goes on.

ewallace
10-16-2001, 10:33 PM
One of my biggest gripes against TKD, as well as some other martial arts, is the emphasis put on belts and rank. On one hand, they are great for setting goals and measuring progress. On the other hand, I personnally do not believe a 10 year old kid should hold a black belt. In a way, that can give a false sense of security to that child. 10 years old is when a child can begin to understand the concepts of internal power as opposed to raw power. I fully agree it depends on the style of TKD and the instructor. But the majority of what I have seen of TKD is focus on tournament fighting, as well as high kicking, spinning and leaving vital targets open to attack. Granted, if you practice any style for 8 or 10 years you are going to be a decent martial artist. But in a real street confrontation with a skilled fighter, especially a fighter with the same amount of experience in say wing chun, san soo or Bagau, I don't think the TKD fighter will stand much of a chance.

- Eric

Victory goes to he who makes the next-to-last mistake.

MonkeySlap Too
10-16-2001, 11:40 PM
I don't think about it.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Johnny Hot Shot
10-16-2001, 11:45 PM
Is great for Kicks but I think it's only effecive as self defence if you are Really good or you crostrain with another art that focuses on hands or grapling. Ie. TKD/Wing Chun or TKD/BJJ

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

Aramus
10-17-2001, 12:01 AM
Here in Ohio, TKD is big as in there are lots of schools. There are also seem to be more tournments, competitions, seminars about TKD as well.

I had a conversation about TKD from a guy who studied a few forms and competed in a variety of tournaments. He said, "kenpo may be more effective, you probably can kick my ass. However, when it comes down to movies and such, Who do you think they will hire?" I think TKD is wonderful martial art for conditioning and kicking. I think it has a certain flare and draw to it. I've seen it used two times with exceptional effectiveness. Both times the TKD guy dropped his attacker with well placed rapid fire kicks. The fight never made it to fist or cinch range. However, both guys new how to street fight before that.

Ralek
10-17-2001, 12:28 AM
I would have to say that TKD is far more effective than chinese martial arts. Chinese martial arts tend to do even more forms than TKD!!! And chinese martial arts do less sparring and less contact than TKD!!!

TKD sucks big time. TKD is a joke. But what's really sad is the fact there exsists something even less effective than TKD...... kung fu.

I am the Grand Ultimate Fist

Ralek
10-17-2001, 12:31 AM
My opinion is based on actual experience. I have destroyed a taijiquan instructor in a challenge match. The word taijiquan means "grand ultimate fist" or "grand Ultimate style". So taijiquan is supposedly the best traditional kung fu stlye. So if this is the best kung fu then kung fu really sucks.

TKD the real street lethal!!!!!!!!

I am the Grand Ultimate Fist

nospam
10-17-2001, 12:48 AM
:eek:

nospam.

qeySuS
10-17-2001, 01:11 AM
Btw i dont see your problem with young black belts, it's not like they are considdered ADULT black belts, they get a kids black belt (you have to be 16 in WTF TKD to get a "real" black belt). F.x. i train in WTF TKD and there's a kid there who's been practicing for about 4-5 years, he's 11 now and he's just amazing, he's got great kicks, sparrs a lot and usually trains with the adults. He's got great speed for his size and he knows more about TKD then most adults. Why shouldnt he be a black belt in TKD? He's not a black belt yet but next week when we go out to USA to compete, him and one of my teachers will take their black belt test.

Personally i've have no problem bowing to him as i would to any other black belt (not sure how the etiquette is with kid black belts).

Btw i'm sticking with TKD for a simple reason, the highest ranked BB in my Dojang is incredible, dont get me wrong i'm not saying he'll be competing in UFC or some, but this guy creates power for his kicks SO quickly and with so little space, that's not something i see in Muay Thai or whatever, they usually take a BIG swing. And as you can hear i want to get there as well :)

Free thinkers are dangerous!

Ralek
10-17-2001, 01:28 AM
Taekwondo fighters tend to dominate kung fu stylists in street fights. Taekwondo will better prepare you for street combat as they do more sparring and less forms than kung fu.

TKD the real street lethal!!!!

gazza99
10-17-2001, 01:33 AM
Your trolling attempts should be less obvious Ralek, go back to your video games and save your attempt at intellectual conversation for your blow up goat.

Ralek
10-17-2001, 01:42 AM
Gary. There is no need to lose your composure. I am just exercising my first amendmant right. My opinion of taijiquan is based on the fact that i easily KO'd a taijiquan instructor with smooth boxing skills.

JasBourne
10-17-2001, 01:52 AM
Gaw****, Ralek, you're actually getting funny with your trolls - "demolished" now, is it? Last week it was "hit", I'm sure next week it will be "hospitalized". Poor tai chi guy is showing you a yang style movement and you rabbit punch him. Thanx for the laff, Grand Ultimate Fish :D

TKD - did it for a year, wasn't for me. Perhaps I didn't find a good teacher, there are so many McDojos out there...

gazza99
10-17-2001, 02:07 AM
Rolls,
I havent lost my composure, my insults are in pure friendly jest, not anger. Your to funny to accually offend me.
I also agree that many taijijquan teachers cannot fight well, but you cannot judge the whole art based on one experiance, especially when taiji is now known for its health benifits more than anything, and many teachers are not even interested in the martial, and those that are most likely have limited knowledge.
later
Gary

kwokfist
10-17-2001, 02:13 AM
it depends. if you learn traditional TKD under a good instructor, its a good self-defense. if you learn modern TKD with a good instructor, its not the best. If you learn non-traditional sports TKD, you're going to be a POWERFUL agressor, but your defense will be ****ty.

trust me. I know like 5 korean tkd stylists who are totally bad-ass even with only 2 years of experience and they can totally crush anything, but once you get on their case, they crumble.

shog
10-17-2001, 02:34 AM
I have been corrected in regards to fighting style by an Internalist...and could even be corrected by others...that is one point that helps support the fact that it is about people and not styles....

Prior to being corrected myself, and even now, I have to re-train TKD (having privately studied off and on for over 20 years)students, and many other External or Hard styles as to better fighting methods...

There is nothing wrong with the style, just the way the individuals are being taught to fight or move or fall or block, etc...many times they come to me and say that earning rank no longer counts (this is the older people who practice both TKD and Karate based systems I am referring to now, ranging anywhere from white belt up to black belt) or that what they do does not reflect the true fighter that they know they can be.

This is a sad point people, but nonetheless, the style is still the most popular next to Taijiquan or rather T'ai Ch'i(since most of them do not practice the striking methods properly, if at all).

...so Ralek, to say your opinion is based upon 1 fight against a [Taijiquan]--probably just a Tai'Chi Instructor in all reality rather than a legitimate Fighting Taijiquan Instructor(there are different flavors of Taijiquan out there...do not be fooled by imitations, for if a person does not teach the complete system of Original Yang, then they are not the real thing in regards to Real Taijiquan)

...if you were to use the scientific method, along with simple statistics, then you would have to pool together at least 100 instructors from the Original Yang style(not anything else), and then at least 50 of each of their highest ranking students (this gives you a good sample size)...and then if your margin of error was at .05, and you won 97 percent of all the matches, then perhaps (though not specifically --even at this point) one could say that you are better than the average Taijiquan practitioner...

This still would not reflect on the style itself...

It just proves that you are a better fighter, or that they were not...

Since the techniques used could have been from any source, and the training methods would have varied, and the personal attitudes would have been different in regards to challenge matches, and so on...

The variables in this case quickly add up, and turn out to be too numerous -- to just include into a broad statement of if you horse-whipped one or even two or even three, that the style is useless , type of thinking.

People that win challenge matches do not necessarily prove that their style is better, just that the opponent they fought at that moment was not on the same plateau of training or committment, agility, health, etc...

...in a nutshell, sweeping statements about people, especially the Martial Art they practice, are just not good...such statements simply do not have the clout to be backed up...

THREAD TOPIC

After practicing with other Instructors and students over the past 20 years, I have met many good fighters, but for every one that is good there are thousands that are not, and this is more than likely due to poor training methods. I have found that for TKD to improve just slightly, and without going Internal, thus maintaining their roots,

TKD Practitioners:

1. Need to loosen up.
2. Use more knees and lower kicks.
3. Implement more hand strikes to knockout points.
4. Move more from the waist.
5. Practice with Intent against Partners.
6. Turn blocks into striking blocks (as opposed to force meets force, unless of course, the practitioner has toughened up there skin through rigorous old-fashion toughening techniques).
7. Make fighting a part of test.
8. Make Forms just a part of learning, and not Rank Requirements.
9. Allow for older students to not have to kick as high, or do so many spinning kicks, since low kicks work just as well. (ie. Be flexible in regards to different age groups since it is not about being a black belt degree mill or store front for Century MA, etc)
10. Teach students to keep hands closer to body and to not step backwards.
11. The list is endless!!!

"Success is measured not by the end result, but rather with each little step along the way." - Me.

Chris B.

Shogerijutsu HomePage (http://www.shogerijutsu.freehosting.net)

kwokfist
10-17-2001, 02:39 AM
not to step backwards? what the hell does that mean?

Low kicks are effective, but high kicks aren't all that bad. High kicks being anything above the hip and lower than the shoulder. kicks to the head or shoulder are just plain stupid.

shog
10-17-2001, 02:50 AM
Over and over instructors teach TKD students to backup. Some side stepping or shuffling of the feet to the rear could be fine, but anything else, and the TKD person practically runs backward as they try to kick or punch...due to the sheer force of someone closing in trying to jam their kick.

There are varying types of kicks:

Stomping Kicks: Shin, Knee, Instep, Ankle.

Low kicks: Side of knee, behind knee, side of thigh, rear thigh, anterior thigh, groin, and lower abdomen just below waist.

Middle Kicks or rather trunk level kicks are those from the waist to the shoulders.

High Kicks are those to the neck and head.

... to name a few...

Like you, I believe more emphasis should be on low to middle, indeed.

And yes, even more so, high kicks are just not bright at all.

Now the statement about the kicks was made in reference the older practitioner, since the young kids do not seem to mind at all, and what is expected, rather demanded most of the time, from many instructors out there.

Chris B.

Ralek
10-17-2001, 02:53 AM
Kwokfist. Muy thai fighters have actually knocked out kung fu fighters with roundhouses to the head for the past several decades.

Jasbourne. You say i rabbit punched him? I don't know about you but i consider a left hook to be a power shot. The left hook is a KO punch. Joe Frazier, the man who kicked Ali's a$$ would knock out everybody with left hooks. Left hook was his trademark KO punch. I hit him so hard that he almost was put unconsious. His legs collapsed. Collapsing legs is a sign of your brain getting rattled. He was still concious but totally out of it. The fight ended witht that punch. Here's an over view of the fight:(Tai chi guy is in stance like the picture of the guy in red. I throw some jabs at him then back off. He follows me back and comes right into a left hook. His legs collapse and he falls. He's still conscious.)

Shog. Since the taijiquan instructor lost he must be fake. If it was the real taijiquan i would have lost for sure! I guess all the kung fu guys who were destroyed in UFC and EFC were fake too.

kwokfist
10-17-2001, 02:58 AM
Ralek, I'm talking about generally. Generally, Wing Chun is weak against ground fighting. Grapplers are generally weak against TKDers because good TKDers won't let them get close to them. BJJers are generally weak against... well... nothing. Except maybe Shaolin Long Fist or Muay Thai or any other long-range fighting arts.

kwokfist
10-17-2001, 03:00 AM
TKD is badass, unless of course your instructor is some money-hungry white man.

Grappling-Insanity
10-17-2001, 03:01 AM
TKD great sport, bad for realistic fighting.

straight blast
10-17-2001, 03:12 AM
My best mate & I trained TKD for 2 years. We were well matched at sparring, neither being really better than the other. I went to Muay Thai, he stayed with TKD. After 6 months he couldn't come close to beating me, and in 2 years still hasn't. But he does keep trying :D
It's real easy to sit back behind a computer & say "This style sucks" or whatever. Get out there & try it! Just don't join one of those TKD groups where the instructor introduces himself and immediately begins talking about your yearly fees & when are you going to pay?
Wing Chun kicks A** :cool:

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"

jimbob
10-17-2001, 03:31 AM
Taekwondo is as good as anything else if your training supports your desired outcomes. I have a good friend who is a 4th dan WTF stylist and sometimes I can hardly see his legs move. He doesn't much like getting punched in the face but then he hasn't trained for it. Self defence TKD would be fine if it was trained correctly.

BTW Ralek - I once kneed a judo player in the face and knocked out 2 of his teeth, causing him to quit immediately. Maybe I should base my opinion of the grappling arts on that one encounter I had, huh?

Mr Nunchaku
12-14-2001, 04:44 PM
Hello, I am very enthusiastic about the martial arts; I study tae kwon do mainly and I learn whatever I can about all other arts as well. I am always trying to learn more about the martial arts and more about my art, tae kwon do.

Tae kwon do based its foundation on shotokan (karate) but incorporated a lot of chinese martial arts into it as well. So I have heard from countless instructors and books. However, I fail to see the resemblence of tae kwon do and chinese martial arts.

Tae kwon do has many techniques from shotokan, but those techniques come from kung fu. So as you can see I'm at a loss here. Does anyone know about the matter?

old jong
12-14-2001, 04:56 PM
And welcome to the forum.I think it is fair to say that all martial arts are related to some degree.So if it's true that okinawan karate has chinese influences so does shotokan then why not Tae Kwon Do ? Are you in the more traditionnal TKD,with forms and hand techniques? Or are you in the "olympic" kind with kicks only?
P.S. dont worry about some of the forum members who have a nice day by dissing TKD...In reality they are jaleous because they can't kick high!;)

Jeff Liboiron
12-14-2001, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Mr Nunchaku

However, I fail to see the resemblence of tae kwon do and chinese martial arts.

That's because us kung fu guys realize that "hey i got hands, i think i'll use them"

don bohrer
12-14-2001, 06:08 PM
I do know that Okinowa became a melting pot for many styles. Chinese influences as well as Japanese arts had a great impact on Okinawan styles. In turn Okinowa had it's influence on many arts.
This little knot might be easier to untie if you can trace your lineage. Perhaps your lineage's history had ties to Okinowa? Some styles claim to go way way back and in reality do, but not in it's current incarnation as we would know it.
Here's a shamless plug for my schools site, but just check out the american kenpo history and you can understand how complex and difficult an arts history can be to trace. Kenpo History (http://www.greendragonkenpo.20m.com/photo3.html)

qeySuS
12-14-2001, 07:00 PM
Hey there, i also study tae kwon do (you'll most often see it referred to as TKD here). So you in WTF or ITF?

Mr Nunchaku
12-14-2001, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. I am in ITF which uses the traditional forms. However, WTF (Olympic style) also has forms. They are not the ones of ITF but they look almost exactly alike.

The lineage of TKD goes way back into the Korean history of martial arts with China and Japan being huge influences. However, as has been said, the incarnation that we learn today is only traditional to a certain degree. This is why we say MODERN day shotokan was founded in the early 1900's.

Dissing TKD, I shouldn't be used to it but I am. Most people are very ignorant of TKD and base assumptions on what little they have seen in the Olympics for instance.

Jeff Liboiron, perhaps by reading this you will learn more about TKD. The tae in tae kwon do is Korean for hands. Make no mistake, TKD is known for its kicks, but in its true form we do not take away from hands one bit. Here is the reason why people think TKD is all kicks. In the Olympics, tae kwon do sparring is a sport. As a sport, you have to get points to win. As the rules will have it, kicks grant you a huge amount of points to fist techniques. Therefore, if one wants to win they must do everything they can to kick. However, this is TKD ONLY in Olympic sparring. As a martial art, and as a means of self defense it is much more than that. For instance, the forms (both ITF and WTF) are mostly hand techniques. TKD incorporates all shotokan hand techniques as well as many kung fu hand techniques (though I question exactly how much kung fu is in it, which is the point of this topic).

I hope I have cleared up the misconception about TKD for you. Most people have the wrong idea about it. Especially when some schools focus so much on winning tournaments and not on self defense. There is nothing wrong by that, mind you, because, they know that they are doing a sport as well as a martial art.

Mr Nunchaku
12-14-2001, 10:02 PM
BTW, nice site, Don Bohrer. I like the Dragonman, looks pretty cool. I would show you my school's site, but it is down right now. www.taekwondouniversity.com if it is every up and running again. We might stink at computers but we are pretty good at the martial arts, heh.

rogue
12-14-2001, 10:33 PM
Mr N, welcome aboard. I do a variation of ITF TKD.

1. Most of the history for TKD that you read is total BS. Here's a guy who's got it closer to what is possible.
http://www.geocities.com/changhontkd/index.htm

2. You're right it is a direct offshoot from Shotokan. I too do the traditional forms. Most cover the same material as Shotokan but sometimes in a different order.

3. TKD didn't incorporate very much CMA if any at all. But two Korean arts, Hwa Rang Do and Kuk Sool Won seem to have been influenced by Chinese MA, lots of mantis hand.

4. TKD used to have a rep as a bad@ss martial art during the Vietnam war. Somewhere along the way something went very wrong and now we have a rep for being a candy@ss art.

5. We're about 60% hand and 40% leg.

It's good to have another TKD person here. If you want to have fun here just pick on Old Jong and his Wing Chun. ;)

Mr Nunchaku
12-14-2001, 10:39 PM
Yep, you hit the nail on the head about TKD. I think the commercialization of TKD is what gave it its bad rep. Too much focus on the sports side of it and it becomes watered down. However, as you know there are plenty of schools that teach TKD the way it was meant to be as a martial art.

SevenStar
12-14-2001, 11:26 PM
I would bet that it happened when The ATA came into play. The camoflauge belt, the cheesy clubs, the fact that you progress through like 11 belts in two to two and a half years and can then become a black belt. Also, I was reading about the history of it about a month ago - the founder of ATA decided that TKD too closely resembled JMA, so he added the kicks and limited the hand use in order to give the style a more "korean flavor"

don bohrer
12-15-2001, 01:31 AM
Mr Nunchacku

I have a friend in Loveland Colorado that gave me a whole new respect for TKD. He teaches at an excellent school. His kids went to the junior olympics. I didn't realise until working with him that there is some in depth practice drills in TKD to defeat kicks. His wife likes to use a very fast AXE kick to bring your leg down and then kick the snot out of you, OUCH! Any way his school works on all these wonderful kicks againts kicks. Different from what I am used to doing.

Mr Nunchaku
12-15-2001, 07:51 AM
Yep, leg defense is just as important as leg offense.

qeySuS
12-15-2001, 12:35 PM
When i went to US to compete we stayed at this one kids home, (well his parents home obviously) The kid had been practicing hard from when he was younger but first he was with another school, he showed us some videotape, and what i saw was amazing (bad amazing), it was the worst ever, besides the fact that the teachers wore black doboks. They had both TKD and COMBAT TKD belts (so they could have more belt tests) and they had very bad form.

Now he's been with Master Park for a while and he's soooo much better. I was just amazed at this school because it sucked ass and aparently most of the schools were like this.

That's propably why people have such bad things to say, they've ever fought a ****y black belt from these schools and think that all TKD sucks like that, or have joined up with the school and realized how crappy it was, and hence thought all TKD schools were crappy like that.

Mr Nunchaku
12-15-2001, 04:23 PM
Me and my friends from another board have a term for these kinds of schools. We call them McDojo.

McDojo (n.)- A "martial arts school" where the primary concern is to gain money. There are a whole lot of belts for the purpose of having to pay the school more money for testings. No one ever fails the "testings". Everybody gets their black belt in the minimum amount of time.

If your school exhibits one of these characteristics that's nothing to worry too much about (except the part about no one ever failing tests), but any more and you may be looking at a McDojo.

rogue
12-15-2001, 05:49 PM
In our school it's rare for someone to fail a belt test, but then it's also common for students not to be invited to test. When I was doing Shaolin Kempo Karate I had some "surprise" on the spot belt tests. Guess that's when the instructor wanted to take his wife out for dinner.

Mr Nunchaku
12-15-2001, 05:54 PM
"In our school it's rare for someone to fail a belt test, but then it's also common for students not to be invited to test."

This is an example of why I said it is nothing to worry about if your school has one of the mentioned McDojo characteristics. This is obviously an exception and shows that your school is not concerned about sucking money out of people by testing them all the time.

Paul
12-15-2001, 06:02 PM
At one school that I attended the sifu decided to rank test everyone (and I mean everyone) and of course charge money right before he took a trip to china. Kinda made me wonder.

Black Jack
12-15-2001, 06:03 PM
Rogue: Freddy V. rules baby...Freddy V. rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :

rogue
12-15-2001, 06:22 PM
I still find it amazing that I learned something there.

BTW, the January 2002 issue of Tae Kwon Do Times has a short but pretty good article about knife fighting. No not Dog Brothers or Hock style of KF, but what you're likely to face on the street. Don't know where the author got his stats, but he makes some good points. Read it at B&N over a cup of coffee, unless you like looking at pictures of Americans dressed up in PJ's striking strange poses in front of Asian landmarks.

General Kwan
12-15-2001, 06:37 PM
Mr Nunchaku and his buddies invented the term McDojo? May I ask what handle he posted by at http://www.e-budo.com ?

I guess the CMA term would be "McKwoon"

Mr Nunchaku
12-15-2001, 06:41 PM
lol, so others use it too!

I have absolutely no idea when my friend created the term (created it to us anyway), the topic has been purged a long time ago I'm sure. But who really cares who created it, right? It's the perfect term to describe it.

McKwoon
McDojo
McDojang
McTraining Hall

lol

The Xia
08-25-2006, 10:25 AM
I mostly see mcdojangs and a few sport oriented places. I have not seen any combat focused Tae Kwon Do. Has anyone seen combat Tae Kwon Do?

golden arhat
08-25-2006, 10:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3nmjKvOADo

The Xia
08-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Taekyon is a seperate and older art then Tae Kwon Do. It was a good video but that doesn't count. Anyone know how Choi Hong Hi taught Tae Kwon Do?

golden arhat
08-25-2006, 10:59 AM
i dont really follow korean martial arts

The Xia
08-25-2006, 11:06 AM
No need to be sorry. It was still an interesting video. :)

A brief crash course if you are interested. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_martial_arts

BruceSteveRoy
08-25-2006, 11:10 AM
i think they tae kwan don't fight. ok it was a bad joke. but this guy i grew up with was a great fighter and he had learned TKD from his father. His father however was excommunicated from some association for being too hardcore with the fighting and his school closed. he was teaching neck breaking techniques or some such thing to kids. his dad wasn't much of a thinker and therefore had pretty poor judgement. very irresponsible. aside from that i have never seen a school that teaches it for fighting.

BruceSteveRoy
08-25-2006, 11:14 AM
i have never heard of taekyon but it looks pretty interesting.

The Xia
09-01-2006, 04:09 PM
Does anyone have any examples of Tae Kwan Do guys that are good fighters?

The Xia
12-21-2006, 01:46 PM
ttt.......

sunfist
12-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Fedor.

Beyond that, TKD breeds people of varying capability just like any other art. Fighting isnt rocket science, anybody with a bit of common sense and an open mind will pick it up. Most people sadly do not posess these features and so their potential is severely limited, regardless of their art. I guess there are obvious and extreme examples of arts that are flawed, but the well established martial arts are so for a reason. Even if what you get served as a mcdojo customer is on the whole unimpressive, its still only a few steps away from the art that did work, so in this regard id consider attitude to actually be more important.

If you want to see examples of karate/tkd working, look for the exponents who have gone into sport competition. Kickboxing, MMA.

The Black Tiger
12-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Taekwondo is the least effective martial art known to man that is unless you can convince your opponent to take your shoes of first. To answer your question there are nun.:D

bodhitree
01-19-2007, 05:48 AM
Taekwondo is the least effective martial art known to man that is unless you can convince your opponent to take your shoes of first. To answer your question there are nun.:D

I don't know about that, TKD is just as effective as karate or anything else. David Loussio (spelling?) and a lot of other fighters have tkd backgrounds. Not everything from the art is effective for sport fighting, but every "style" has to adapt to the particular sport. My vote for least effective martial art= Aikido.

lonewolf
01-27-2007, 01:06 AM
i studied tae kwon do for five years. the flashy kicks are useless. but as for striking at a greater distance and learning to kick as fast as throwing a jab it is quit effective. they don't teaching much punching, grappling, knees and elbows are none existant in sparring but show up in forms. if your not learning it for sport and take what you can from it to incorperate in fighting it is great for lower body use. besides if you get flexible enough i have never known a heel kick to not break a clavicle.:)

NJM
01-27-2007, 11:23 AM
A friend of mine is a blackbelt in TKD, but can't really spar with me worth jack because of the whole unstable kicking thing. They're not too bad at striking, though. Blocking, now that's another story. This person always trys to anticipate my attacks instead of reacting to them, which is just asking to get faint'd.

lonewolf
01-29-2007, 06:17 AM
A friend of mine is a blackbelt in TKD, but can't really spar with me worth jack because of the whole unstable kicking thing. They're not too bad at striking, though. Blocking, now that's another story. This person always trys to anticipate my attacks instead of reacting to them, which is just asking to get faint'd.

i agree with the stiking and the blocking, but for me blocking i a wasit of time and energy. i found the countering the attack was move effective then blocking it and getting injured doing so. as for striking the kicks are nice but tae kwon do doesn't teach punching worth jack. wheni was in it i learned boxing at the same time. during our sparring in class i wound work my way in and while my opponant would want to touch chest pads to initiant a splint (like two boxers hugging) i would keep my hands up and land blows to the chest pad. punches landed earn points also. tkd stylist like to keep their distance and use their legs but if you are going to get close whynot use you other weapons available to you? that was what i learned and how i won the tournaments that i was in. instructors stay with the kicking to much and ignore the upper body potenial that the students have even in sparring.

Dark Knight
02-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Not all TKD's are created equal.

TKD is an Olympic sport. Its a full contact sport. In order to get into the olympics it had to be in a certain amount of countries with an International Governing body and National Governing bodies in each country.

Korea sent instructors out to establish enough schools to accomplish this.

Now you have Black Belts created all over and then they open schools.

But not everyone is interested in full contact Olympic TKD. Many schools claim they train Olympic TKD, but its still light contact. Then the rest get into point sparring, trying to hold onto the kicking side of TKD.

In Olympic TKD you have rules that they train by. Very little hands, lots of kicks.

In TKD you become just like the instructor, not making the art fit you and your strengths.

There are TKD guys that can fight, are really fast and kick really hard. But they are far and few in between.

GeneChing
10-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Taekwondo Purists Say Olympics Hurting Martial Art (http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/sports/Taekwondo-Purists-Say-Olympics-hurting-Martial-Art-points-London-2012-130983268.html)
Taekwondo's governing body rewriting the rules for Olympic hopefuls
Monday, Oct 3, 2011 | Updated 9:47 AM PDT
http://media.nbcsandiego.com/images/654*368/taekwondo-olympic-London-20.jpg
Olympic Taekwondo hopeful Aaron Cook of Great Britain poses for pictures to capture his martial arts journey to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
advertisement

Since becoming an Olympic event, taekwondo has largely ditched its traditions, creating a split in the martial sport.

At last weekend's British Open, more than 400 top competitors took part in a key event leading to the 2012 London Olympics. Many of the medals went to Britain, France and Iran.

Taekwondo's governing body rewrote the rules last year to award fighters more points for head shots. since then, many of the best players now often throw fancy spinning and jumping kicks that were once seen only occasionally.

Some taekwondo purists say the changes have gone too far and argue the Olympic-style fighting bears no resemblance to the martial art's origins in Korea.I actually like more kicks to the head. That's the best part about Olympic TKD. As a spectator, kicks to the head rock.

Lee Chiang Po
10-12-2011, 07:48 PM
I mostly see mcdojangs and a few sport oriented places. I have not seen any combat focused Tae Kwon Do. Has anyone seen combat Tae Kwon Do?

Back in the 60's I spent 14 months in Vietnam, and in our little outfit we had 5 Rok troops. The ranking man was a Rok captain. All 5 of them were black belts in combat Tae kwan do. They were bad to the bone too.

mawali
10-13-2011, 06:06 AM

All TKD has combat potential but today it has come down to sport, trophies and competition. In Vietnam era, there were quite a few small unit teams that trained in TKD. I am not saying they do not train that way today but the exercise and sport is predominant. There were a few Korean actors who were in Vietnam and one of them come to mind is Hwang JangLee! If I remember correctly the group was called the Tiger Division! (If my recall is accurate:) )

GeneChing
08-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Enter to win TAE KWON DO BLACK BELT POOMSAE Autographed by authors Richard Chun and Doug Cook (http://www.kungfumagazine.net/index.html)! Contest end 6:00 p.m. PST on 09/05/13. Good luck everyone!

GeneChing
08-23-2013, 06:05 PM
South Korean taekwondoist/actress Tae-Mi's first pitch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsH8fCtwmRk#t=43)

GeneChing
08-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Is this for real?

Female Taekwondo uniform could be redesigned (http://en.mastaekwondo.com/2013/08/female-taekwondo-uniform-could-be-redesigned/)

Juanjo Padrós, director of Andorra Taekwondo Federation and member of the European Union Executive Committee, is responsible for the innovative new design for the “female Dobok”.

http://en.mastaekwondo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2013-08-16_67197x_EST%C3%89TICA-FEMENINA-Taekwondo_01-1.jpg

The model designed by Juanjo Padrós, is a Taekwondo uniform that fits to the body using Lycra fabrics. The other model consists of a dress with a skirt and Lycra pants, giving it a more feminine touch to the Dobok.

The new design was presented to the WTF Expansion Committee in Puebla, during the World Taekwondo Championship; among the people present were WTF President, Dr. Choue, WTF Secretary General, WTF vice Director of Marketing and Communications and the Presidents of the different Continental Unions.

The WTF welcomed the new model with great interest and will study the different designs created by Padrós to see some important details before they finally instruct any manufacturer to produce the official clothing. “Right now everything is in the hands of the WTF Secretary General Jean-Marie Ayer and the Director of Marketing. The original model was created in Tailor & Co with model Jessica Rovira, member of the National Taekwondo Team of Andorra” explained Juanjo Padrós to masTaekwondo.com.

http://en.mastaekwondo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2013-08-16_67197x_EST%C3%89TICA-FEMENINA-Taekwondo_02.jpg

http://en.mastaekwondo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2013-08-16_67197x_EST%C3%89TICA-FEMENINA-Taekwondo_03-e1376606715309.jpg

According Padrós, the main reasons for creating this new uniform were:

1) Renew the female Taekwondo image and make a better difference between the male and female categories.

2) Adapt the modern fabrics used now in sports to Taekwondo.

3) Ease and release the body movements in Taekwondo

4) Adapt the latest medical and computer technologies applied to fabrics.

5) Improve Taekwondo image in the TV and press.

On the other hand the creator of this new female Dobok detailed five reasons why he thinks this new model should be the competitive circuit:

1) All scientific evidence suggests that new fabrics are vital to fit the body and allow a better freedom of movement, creating more definition and clean movements. People will enjoy better definition and movement.

2) The latest advances in medicine and physiotherapy, as tiping or other techniques, can be applied to Doboks.

3) The new technologies like blood pressure, heart beat, and temperature control chips can be applied in the new Doboks, and thus show to the world the most modern and innovative martial art and sport.

4) Sometimes, for amateur spectators, it is difficult to differentiate if it is a female or male combat. With these new models, the categories will be easier to differentiate. It is also important the competition in other martial arts like Judo and Karate.

5) The most important reason is to take a better advantage of our female competitors because they are a treasure. It is important to show that practicing Taekwondo gives good health, helps to stay fit and gives a beautiful body shape. This last issue must be exploited and must be used to promote Taekwondo in this specific moment, after the success in the Olympics and a great World Championship, to attract television and mass media interest.

The World Taekwondo Federation is analyzing to incorporate the new uniform in the Grand Prix in December 2013. In Europe, it seems that during the Under-21 European Championships, they will make a test of the new uniform.

Lucas
08-28-2013, 03:05 PM
it will work because it is more sexy. more sexy is always good. it fits tighter around the bust. no one wants to say it but i will.

"Improve Taekwondo image in the TV and press."
we all know that in the modern world, this is largely done through sex appeal.

Kellen Bassette
08-28-2013, 06:28 PM
4) Sometimes, for amateur spectators, it is difficult to differentiate if it is a female or male combat.

The girls are the ones slapping and pulling hair. :p

Well Gene, you better get Tiger Claw and Martial Arts Mart fired up and making these...everyone knows TKD is where the money is...

Seriously though, will this make the punches less "snappy"? Everyone knows how important that snapping sound is when you do a form....

JamesC
08-28-2013, 07:05 PM
I support this motion.

GeneChing
08-29-2013, 10:49 AM
It's getting proportionally as much press as Miley after the 2013 VMAs....proportionally in martial circles versus pop circles.

Okay, maybe not. Nevertheless, I'm debating about cutting this free to make it's own thread as it certainly has potential for amusing discussion. We'll see how long it trends (I'm also happy to keep it here to bring attention to our sweepstakes promo (http://www.kungfumagazine.net/index.html), which be happens to be for a new autographed TKD Poomse book this week).

Well Gene, you better get Tiger Claw and Martial Arts Mart fired up and making these...everyone knows TKD is where the money is...
I actually did discuss it with our founder and our president yesterday. They are much more aware of the TKD (http://www.martialartsmart.com/tae-kwon-do-styles.html) circles than I am. Tiger Claw (https://www.tigerclaw.com/home.php)'s founder, Thomas Oh, who is by nature, very 'old school', was skeptical it will go through. TC's president, Jonny Oh, felt if there's enough money behind it, and there is some money behind it, it'll happen. Apparently there was an international event recently where competitors received new uniforms as part of their participation gift bag. How cool is that? Both confirmed that the movement was coming from Europe, and TKD is very strong there. So we'll see.

Personally, I find it amusing that this is to be implemented for women and not for men. I have frequently been outspoken about costumes in Modern Wushu. While many draw comparisons of Modern Wushu costumes to Figure Skating or Gymnastics, both of those sports have strict regulations on what is allowable. Modern Wushu's regulations on uniforms, just like the regulations on weapons, are so cursory. That is one of my major sticking points with the acceptance of Modern Wushu as a serious sport. I find it really amusing that no one in Modern Wushu is quite clever enough to exploit these rule gaps. Why doesn't anyone bust out a uniform that lights up? While it might not garner a win, it would get attention. The only uniform controversy I've ever heard with Modern Wushu has been about Muslim women wearing burkas, and that's a totally different thing.

Kellen Bassette
08-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Why doesn't anyone bust out a uniform that lights up?

Please don't give them ideas.....

GeneChing
09-09-2013, 02:58 PM
See our TAE KWON DO BLACK BELT POOMSAE winners thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66604).

Cheng oi
09-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Whats ur thoughts on TKD? Good points? Bad points?
Lemme know.
Thanks for ur time,
k.

The people are always Big muscle bullies that beat me up for no reason & they are evil
in fact I was just around a whole bunch of them -- they are bad people

I know some Koreans & they are good people - but tkd - no way - I hate when they say TKD

mawali
09-29-2013, 04:35 PM
I, personally, have always had, and still have positive views on TKD. My only problem with it is that in the few practice 2 and 3 step sparring that I participated in at the time, I was disqualified for hitting in the face. The kicking paradigm is one side but I acknowledged that people have to be well rounded and now we have BJJ, where the original world of ne-waza completes that training and conditioning reality. Be well rounded as best as one can be.

That being said, I look around and TKD is one of the more popular, if not the most, of martial arts systems. It is fitness where the whole family can participate without being tapped out by "those other guys" and everyone leaves happy!

Military Arts Institute on Ashland Ave!

GeneChing
10-22-2015, 02:37 PM
Intriguing, not just for the history, but for the perspective on it.

Russia and North Korea to Co-Produce Film on Taekwondo History (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/russia-north-korea-produce-film-833297)

http://cdn5.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/675x380/2015/08/downtown_moscow_h_15.jpg
AP Images
by Vladimir Kozlov
10/20/2015 10:58am PDT

The film will be the first co-production project between the two countries in over 25 years.

Russia is planning the first co-production with North Korea since the Soviet era as part of a larger scheme aimed at stepping up film collaboration with the rogue nation.

State-backed Russian and North Korean filmmakers are planning a feature on the history of traditional Korean martial art of taekwondo, producer Yuri Mityushin told a news conference in Moscow on Tuesday.

"This picture will tell the story of taekwondo development," he said. "It has a very long history and was known even in Czarist Russia. In addition, we are planning several more co-productions [with North Korea]."

A delegation of North Korean filmmakers is currently on a visit to Moscow, timed to a series of screenings of North Korean films.

According to Mityushin, who organized the screenings and the visit, the North Korean filmmakers are also scheduled to discuss collaboration with the state-run studios Mosfilm and Gorky Studio and talk with Russia's main film school, VGIK, about accepting North Korean students.

Film ties between Russia and North Korea broke with the collapse of the Soviet Union. Before that, the Soviet Union and North Korea co-produced several movies, mostly focused on World War II events.

The most recent of those, Bereg spaseniya (Salvation Shore), directed by Arya Dashiyev, was released in 1990.

The announcement comes against the backdrop of Russia trying to step up co-production with other countries. Recently, co-production projects with China and India have been discussed.

boxerbilly
10-23-2015, 08:53 AM
I, personally, have always had, and still have positive views on TKD. My only problem with it is that in the few practice 2 and 3 step sparring that I participated in at the time, I was disqualified for hitting in the face. The kicking paradigm is one side but I acknowledged that people have to be well rounded and now we have BJJ, where the original world of ne-waza completes that training and conditioning reality. Be well rounded as best as one can be.

That being said, I look around and TKD is one of the more popular, if not the most, of martial arts systems. It is fitness where the whole family can participate without being tapped out by "those other guys" and everyone leaves happy!

Military Arts Institute on Ashland Ave!

That would be WTF or another association. I did ITF and hitting the head with the hands was not only acceptable but encouraged. ITF was Gen Choi's art.

I realize this was an old post.

Cheng oi ( doubtful you are still on board) , I am sorry that was your experience. My instructor would have kicked our asses if we bullied anyone. Not acceptable. Possibly guys from another association ? Not that ITF is immune to jerks. But not the case where I learned. My instructor was Grandmaster Mark McCarthy.

My ITF instructor.- He is the one with the left eye closed. He lost it in a death match-NOT. Car accident when he was like 15.
http://www.dmactkd.com/Summit/Seminars.html

GeneChing
03-30-2016, 10:32 AM
I could start an indie thread on Martial Terrorists.

The video is embedded in the original site.

VIDEO: Brussels Bomber’s Brother Won Taekwondo Gold Medal in Israel (http://forward.com/news/breaking-news/337000/video-brussels-bombers-brother-won-taekwondo-gold-medal-in-israel/)
March 26, 2016

Mourad Laachraoui, brother of terrorist Najim Laachraoui, who blew himself up in Brussels airport on Tuesday, is a medal-winning sportsman who won the Israeli Open Taekwondo Championship in Ramle in September.

Fourteen people were killed and dozens wounded when Najim, 25, and another terrorist blew themselves up at the airport earlier this week. Another twenty people were killed and over 100 wounded in the simultaneous bombing of a subway train in Brussels.

Mourad Laachraoui, 21, told a press conference in Brussels on Thursday that he was “ashamed and sad” about what his older brother had done and declared that he would never be able to understand why Najim blew himself up in the airport attack, the Mail Online reported.

He claimed that his family had no contact with Najim since he left Belgium for Syria three years ago, despite living only a mile from the flat where Najim prepared the attacks.

“Our family has the same questions you all have,” he said. “He used to be a nice intelligent guy. I couldn’t believe it.” “I’m not trying to understand, I’m trying to move on and turn the page,” Mourad said. Asked if he had a message for the victims, Mourad said: “I feel for them.

Belgian officials have said that Najim Laachraoui was an expert bomb-maker, who prepared the explosive devices for both this week’s attacks in Brussels and the devastating terrorist attacks in Paris last November.

Mourad was speaking for the first time since the attacks at a press conference at his taekwondo club in Uccle, a well-off neighborhood in the south of Brussels.

He spent six days in Israel, from September 3 – 8, while participating in the local taekwondo championships, according to a report on the ynet website. He won a gold medal in the 58 kg weight category, beating Israeli Gil Haimovitz in the final.

“We know the brother personally,” said Yehiam Sharabi, coach of the Israeli taekwondo team. “The relations between him and us were always normal and he would wish us shalom.”

After winning a silver at the world championships in South Korea last year, Mourad is on a program for young athletes aiming to win gold at the Olympics in Tokyo in 2020.

Belgian officials have said that Najim Laachraoui was an expert bomb-maker, who prepared the explosive devices for both this week’s attacks in Brussels and the devastating terrorist attacks in Paris last November.

Mourad was speaking for the first time since the attacks at a press conference at his taekwondo club in Uccle, a well-off neighborhood in the south of Brussels.

He spent six days in Israel, from September 3 – 8, while participating in the local taekwondo championships, according to a report on the ynet website. He won a gold medal in the 58 kg weight category, beating Israeli Gil Haimovitz in the final.

“We know the brother personally,” said Yehiam Sharabi, coach of the Israeli taekwondo team. “The relations between him and us were always normal and he would wish us shalom.”

After winning a silver at the world championships in South Korea last year, Mourad is on a program for young athletes aiming to win gold at the Olympics in Tokyo in 2020

GeneChing
06-08-2016, 09:48 AM
https://www.facebook.com/Worldtaekwondofamily/videos/vb.221522641202442/1133704009984296/?type=2&theater

Firehawk4
06-16-2016, 06:36 PM
I new a guy back in the mid 1980 s that was a black belt in tae kwon do he used some of his kicks to defend himself against 2 guys that was trying to cause some trouble I know he beat them up .

GeneChing
06-30-2016, 08:13 AM
The corrected version. ;)

Correction: TAE-Taekwondo Preview story
AP 8:52 a.m. EDT June 25, 2016
LONDON (AP) — In a story June 24 about the Olympic taekwondo competition, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the spelling of the name of the president of the World Taekwondo federation was Chongwon Choue. The president's name is spelled Chungwon Choue.

A corrected version of the story is below:

At Rio, taekwondo departs from origins as Korean martial art (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2016/06/24/at-rio-taekwondo-departs-from-origins-as-korean-martial-art/86335274/)

At the upcoming Rio de Janeiro Olympics, taekwondo may be moving further away from its roots as a Korean martial art, but organizers hope that new changes to the combat sport will produce more dynamic fights

By MARIA CHENG
Associated Press

LONDON (AP) — At the upcoming Rio de Janeiro Olympics, taekwondo may be moving further away from its roots as a Korean martial art, but organizers hope the new changes to the combat sport will produce more dynamic fights featuring even more of the acrobatic kicks it has become known for.

Not only has the size of the competition ring shrunk, giving competitors less space to retreat from the usual onslaught of kicking, but the sport's governing body is again encouraging athletes to use more spinning techniques — competitors will now get an extra point for any kick where they turn their backs.

Head kicks already score the most in taekwondo, earning three or four points. Shots to the body, including punches, score only one. Punches to the head are not allowed.

After the scoring debacle of the Beijing 2008 Olympics, when the results of one match were overturned, taekwondo officials introduced a new electronic scoring system that automatically registers points when fighters, wearing electronic sensors, kick their opponents with sufficient force.

Although the new method has eliminated the subjectivity of human judges, some athletes complain that it can be a bit temperamental and that the kicks that score best are often not traditional taekwondo techniques, but unorthodox adaptations that sacrifice form for expediency.

Instead of the powerful turning kicks integral to taekwondo, many of the sport's top fighters rely on quick-scoring jabs off the front leg that some have unkindly referred to as "chicken fighting." Chungwon Choue, president of the World Taekwondo Federation, said officials "are committed to finding a balance between honoring our traditional techniques and evolving the sport to make it more exciting for new audiences."

He said the sport's evolution also means more medal chances for everyone, including countries without an established Olympic track record. Choue noted that while taekwondo once used to be dominated by Asian countries with a strong martial arts history, eight different countries won gold medals at the London games, including Argentina, Italy and Serbia.

RETURNING STAR: American fighter Steven Lopez is the most decorated athlete in taekwondo history, winning a record five world championship titles and three Olympic medals, two golds and one bronze. At 37, he's also likely to be the oldest in the Rio taekwondo competition, in a sport where most athletes are in their early 20s. After a disappointing showing at the London games — Lopez was knocked out in the first round after suffering an injury shortly before — he will be even more motivated to prove he is still one of the sport's biggest stars.

DON'T MISS: British-born athlete Aaron Cook was the sport's top-ranked fighter in the 80-kilogram division during the run-up to the London Olympics but didn't make it to the games; the U.K. refused to pick him for their team after Cook abandoned their training academy, selecting instead eventual bronze medal winner Lutalo Muhammad. This time around, Cook isn't taking any chances and recently switched allegiances to fight for Moldova after having his citizenship paid for by the country's taekwondo president. Cook fought at the Beijing Olympics, where he narrowly lost out on a bronze.

REFUGEE'S CHANCE: Raheleh Asemani, an Iranian refugee now training in Belgium, won an Olympic spot in the women's 57-kilogram category after being granted the opportunity to fight under the World Taekwondo Federation's flag as a refugee during the European qualifiers. Now working in a post office in Belgium after moving there three years ago, the former member of Iran's national taekwondo team has been training with the Belgian squad and will likely represent her newly adopted country in Brazil.

GeneChing
08-16-2016, 09:26 AM
Olympic Taekwondo starts Wednesday August 17 in Rio. Read A Martial Arts Olympic Dream Comes True (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1308) by Melissa Leon-Guerrero Do.

GeneChing
08-26-2016, 09:44 AM
I couldn't follow the action at all. The electronic scoring system has ruined the sport.

Is that a kick? Taekwondo fighters devise new ways to score (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2016/08/20/is-that-a-kick-taekwondo-fighters-devise-new-ways-to-score/89042294/)
AP 10:12 a.m. EDT August 20, 2016

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/c6e78e229e42cd642e5b26624d9ec2b8073c434f/c=445-0-4421-2982&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2016/08/20/USATODAY/usatsports/b214a0f4d0ac4b2db062fca81d4b2c1b.jpg
(Photo: The Associated Press)

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Taekwondo may be best known for its flashy and acrobatic kicks, but the electronic scoring system used at the Olympics apparently doesn't care whether or not fighters use the correct technique. That's resulting in a lot of bizarre kicks that no true practitioner of the Korean martial art would recognize, in a departure that some say cheapens the sport.

Sparring in taekwondo has traditionally relied on numerous kicks delivered with technical accuracy; depending on the kick, fighters usually strike with the blade of the foot, the heel or the front of the foot, with toes pointed back. To take advantage of the electronic scoring system — which merely detects force rather than a competitor's skill — some taekwondo fighters and their coaches have figured out that the best-scoring kicks sometimes sacrifice form for expediency.

"I've definitely seen some weird kicks that you would never teach at any taekwondo school," said Steven Lopez, the sport's most decorated athlete, who was competing in a record fifth Olympics. "They flick their legs up trying to do something to score, but it is not taekwondo."

Unfortunately for Lopez, his Tunisian opponent Oussama Oueslati, in his bronze medal match on Friday didn't have a problem with those unusual techniques — and used many of them to defeat him.

Oueslati repeatedly used a move referred to by some as a "scorpion kick," where he would swing his leg up towards Lopez's head and then snap it back like a scorpion tail. No such kick exists in the traditional taekwondo repertoire but because the technique results in the foot tapping the head guard, it frequently scores on the electronic system.

"Fighters won't care whether it looks like a banana kick or a twist kick or whatever it is, as long as it's working," said Australian taekwondo competitor Safwan Khalil. He recalled a fight he had during the Rio Games with an opponent whose strange kicks caught him off-guard. "When he started throwing those twist kicks, I was just like, 'OK, What are we doing here? This is taekwondo?' But you just have to roll with it."

Kim So-hui, this year's Olympic taekwondo champion in the women's 49-kilogram division, said she isn't thrilled about the evolution of the martial art either.

"Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about it," said the South Korean athlete after clinching the gold medal on Wednesday. "It's the taekwondo federation that decided that, not the athletes," she said, noting that she declines to use any of the hybrid techniques.

The sport's governing body acknowledged further scoring changes might be necessary.

"Athletes are at the very heart of the World Taekwondo Federation and so we are always ready to listen to feedback from them on how they think our sport can be improved," said Jung Kook-Hyun, the federation's chairman of the technical committee, in an email. "We are committed to constantly modernizing the sport but we always want to find a balance with honoring our traditions," he said, adding the federation would consider possible reforms after Rio.

Some coaches are divided about whether or not to recommend using the unorthodox kicks.

"I don't like teaching these techniques, but that's the sport," said Jean Lopez, who directs the U.S. taekwondo team, including his brother Steven. "I think it's compromised taekwondo so that it's become less about fighting — and taekwondo is a martial art, a fighting sport," he said.

Many athletes say that because the odd techniques often score, they cannot be ignored.

"Our job as athletes is to adapt as best we can and still give our best and produce good results," said South Korea's Oh Hye-Ri, gold medalist in the women's 67-kilogram division. Oh dominated most of her opponents by employing a steady stream of old-school head kicks that her competitors were unable to counter.

Still, she said that she wasn't opposed to the evolution of the sport, even though it means extra training.

"I also practice a lot of those kicks as well," she said, providing a quick demonstration of what some describe as a "donkey kick," where fighters jerk their leg up awkwardly to twist the back of their foot onto their opponent's body protector. "If it can win the fight, you have to try."

Jimbo
08-26-2016, 03:14 PM
IMO, Olympic TKD has been unwatchable for many years now.

-N-
08-26-2016, 03:45 PM
IMO, Olympic TKD has been unwatchable for many years now.

Evolved and tested in competition, lol.

Someone should link that article to the TCMA Survival thread.

GeneChing
10-18-2016, 01:35 PM
... I just can't get past the title "WTF Brain Trust Huddles...."

Game Changers: WTF Brain Trust Huddles in Seoul to Upgrade Taekwondo Before Tokyo 2020 (http://www.worldtaekwondofederation.net/game-changers-wtf-brain-trust-huddles-in-seoul-to-upgrade-taekwondo-before-tokyo-2020/)

http://www.worldtaekwondofederation.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/WTF-Coach-Seminar.jpg

SEOUL, Korea (October 17, 2016) – How to upgrade the game? This is arguably the biggest question facing taekwondo as it enters the long cycle of preparation for the Tokyo Olympic Games in 2020.

Fortunately, there are precedents, as, for much of its history, the WTF has been introducing changes and innovations.

Following the 2008 Beijing Olympics – plagued by controversies over scoring and refereeing – the sport’s future on the Olympic program was in jeopardy. The WTF instituted a reform drive. The mission was clear: Improve the transparency and fairness of the game.

The key breakthrough to realize this was the introduction of the electronic protector and scoring system (PSS). The PSS makes all points scored immediately visible to the crowd, while obviating human error in judging. Referee training and education was massively upgraded and the Instant Video Replay system was introduced. Thanks to these developments, taekwondo was controversy-free in London 2012 and Rio 2016 and is now a firm fixture on the Summer Games program.

But there have been drawbacks. The PSS – like all technologies – is imperfect. It has also altered the way the game is played: With the power component removed, taekwondo has gone from knockout mode to point-scoring mode. This has resulted in a cleft between “old school” taekwondo – the powerhouse contact sport of the past – and “new school” taekwondo – the modern, tactical game, which prioritizes front foot kicks and favors tall, skinny players.

Even many exponents of “new school” saw they prefer “old school” techniques and fighters, who tend to be head-hunters and spin-kickers. But “new school” dominates the medal tables. Even elite exponents of “old school” taekwondo – who include some of the most crowd-pleasing fighters in the game, such as Moldova’s Aaron Cook and Turkey’s Servet Tazegul – find it hard to win with traditional fighting style in the current rules and gear.

This is not to say that Rio was dull: In fact, there were some classic finals – such as the Jordan’s Ahmad Abughaush versus Russia’s Alexey Denisenko and Great Britain’s Jade Jones vs. Spain’s Eva Calvo Gomez – and incredible crowd support. But with the 2016 Games over, a four-year window of opportunity has opened for the WTF to make changes and re-inject spectacle back into the game. The aim is for taekwondo at Tokyo 2020 to be not only fair and transparent, but also to dazzle and excite.

If that happens, it will open the way for taekwondo to be not just the hugely successful participation sport which it is – the WTF has 80 million members globally – but also a global spectator sport. Once crowds increase, global media will get into the action and elite fighters and teams will benefit from enriched sponsorship opportunities.

So, there is much at stake. The game-changing process gets underway when the WTF invites its top coaches and executives to a five-day brainstorm in Seoul on Oct. 17th.

“The Rio Olympics was a continuation of transparent and successful taekwondo competition from London 2012 and we need to prepare for the coming Tokyo 2020. In order to make a better sport, it is very important to hear opinions from you in order to make the best game,” said WTF President Chungwon Choue in the opening speech.

From Oct. 17th-21st the first-ever WTF Coach Seminar will take place, with 30 top coaches invited from around the world. “The coaches can ask questions of the WTF on the policy side – this is the first time we have given them a platform to speak for themselves,” said WTF Director General Jin-bang Yang. “The WTF expects more of these opportunities, so coaches will have more chance to influence policy – especially Competition Rules, championship management, and ranking and qualification policy.”

The coaching seminar will be one component of the WTF Coach Forum, which will take place at the same time and same location, with members of the WTF Technical Committee giving presentations and holding dialogs with the coaches. Changes will be discussed in four categories: competition rules; systems (such as rankings and qualification); image of the game (such as uniform designs and sport presentation); and PSS. “Those are the main areas of business,” said Yang. “Changes to rules and systems are things we can change in a short time, so we will concentrate on discussing these two. The other things will take more time.”

On Oct 20th, having exchanged ideas and elicited feedback from the coaches, the Technical Committee will present proposed changes to top-level WTF executives – the organization’s president, secretary general, director generals and Continental Union presidents. The ideas that both parties – the technical committee and the executive team– agree upon will be presented to the WTF General Assembly in Burnaby, Canada in November, on the sidelines of the World Taekwondo Junior Championships.

Those changes voted in will be applied at WTF championships from 2017. For more on how these important developments unfold – watch this space.

http://www.worldtaekwondofederation.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/2.jpg
http://www.worldtaekwondofederation.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/3.jpg
http://www.worldtaekwondofederation.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/1.jpg

mawali
10-21-2016, 09:45 PM
I was reading something recently on the World Taekwondo Federation ( W T F) and the word is out to "change" the designation due to some obvious acronym affiliation

mickey
10-22-2016, 05:38 AM
I was reading something recently on the World Taekwondo Federation ( W T F) and the word is out to "change" the designation due to some obvious acronym affiliation

Bravissimo!

mickey

Jimbo
11-17-2016, 08:07 AM

After watching some of the TKD from the London and Rio Olympics, they should probably keep the federation name, because the acronym is quite apropos.

boxerbilly
11-17-2016, 09:35 AM
After watching some of the TKD from the London and Rio Olympics, they should probably keep the federation name, because the acronym is quite apropos.

LOL. I agree.

ITF !

GeneChing
06-06-2017, 07:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acRNG0PTu-g

There's this whole other championship that happens at Tiger Claw Elite Championships (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69762-KUNG-FU-TAI-CHI-25TH-ANNIVERSARY-FESTIVAL-May-19-21-2017-San-Jose-CA&p=1303250#post1303250) for Taekwondo (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do).

Jimbo
06-06-2017, 08:06 AM
I was browsing at a Barnes & Noble, and in the June/July issue of Black Belt magazine, with Bruce Lee in the cover, is a reprint of an article from November 1968 titled Roar of the Tiger, about the S. Korean Tiger Division in Vietnam. It's long been known they were some true bad@sses and greatly feared among the VC, Taekwondo being only one of those reasons.

On page 65 is a group photo, and the man standing 3rd from the right (and not named) is none other than Hwang Jang Lee, who later starred in innumerable kung fu movies (usually as the villain), including, most famously, with Jackie Chan in Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Drunken Master. Black Belt magazine did a feature article on Hwang back in 1983 which mentioned his Tiger Division (and movie) experiences that included some photos as well. But it's interesting to see this article from way back in '68.

I almost never buy MA magazines anymore (except for KFM when I come across it, of course ;)), but bought this one just because of this article. Back then, it was obvious the TKD practice was still a lot closer to its Shotokan/karate roots, and was literally "Korean karate" but with more of a killer attitude. There was still an emphasis on developing strong, solid basics and all of the body's striking weapons, not just fancy kicks. Completely different from the Olympic TKD of today.

sanjuro_ronin
06-07-2017, 04:56 AM
I was browsing at a Barnes & Noble, and in the June/July issue of Black Belt magazine, with Bruce Lee in the cover, is a reprint of an article from November 1968 titled Roar of the Tiger, about the S. Korean Tiger Division in Vietnam. It's long been known they were some true bad@sses and greatly feared among the VC, Taekwondo being only one of those reasons.

On page 65 is a group photo, and the man standing 3rd from the right (and not named) is none other than Hwang Jang Lee, who later starred in innumerable kung fu movies (usually as the villain), including, most famously, with Jackie Chan in Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Drunken Master. Black Belt magazine did a feature article on Hwang back in 1983 which mentioned his Tiger Division (and movie) experiences that included some photos as well. But it's interesting to see this article from way back in '68.

I almost never buy MA magazines anymore (except for KFM when I come across it, of course ;)), but bought this one just because of this article. Back then, it was obvious the TKD practice was still a lot closer to its Shotokan/karate roots, and was literally "Korean karate" but with more of a killer attitude. There was still an emphasis on developing strong, solid basics and all of the body's striking weapons, not just fancy kicks. Completely different from the Olympic TKD of today.

There is a book, The Killing Art, that details the history of TKD.
Good read and lots of true stuff about the internal politics of TKD.

Jimbo
06-07-2017, 03:10 PM
There is a book, The Killing Art, that details the history of TKD.
Good read and lots of true stuff about the internal politics of TKD.

Very true. I read that book when it came out. I should probably pull it out and read through it again.

GeneChing
06-26-2017, 07:29 AM
So they dropped the F? That makes me a little sad. :(

World Taekwondo Federation changes name over 'negative connotations' (http://www.bbc.com/sport/taekwondo/40391326)

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/800/cpsprodpb/1089E/production/_96624776_taekwondo_getty.jpg
World Taekwondo president Choue Chung-won (centre) and delegates pose for a photo before the 2017 World Taekwondo championships in South Korea

World Taekwondo Championships
Dates: 24-30 June Venue: Muju, South Korea
Coverage: BBC Red Button from Tuesday, 27 June
The World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) has changed its name to World Taekwondo because of the "negative connotations" associated with its initials.

The organisation had used the previous name since it was established in 1973.

However, it felt in the "digital age" the slang of the old abbreviation was "unrelated to our organisation and so it was important that we rebranded to better engage with our fans".

The change was made before the start of the 2017 World Taekwondo Championships.

The event is taking place in Muju, South Korea.

"World Taekwondo is distinctive and simple to understand and reinforces the global nature of our sport," said World Taekwondo president Choue Chung-won.

"Our vision is taekwondo for all and as World Taekwondo we are confident we can build on our success to date and achieve that vision."

GeneChing
10-30-2017, 10:54 AM
Sanda (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?58601-Sanda) vs. TKD (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)

Martial arts champion couple get into fight, husband ends it by swallowing wife's gold medal (http://shanghaiist.com/2017/10/30/champion-couple-fight.php)
BY SHANGHAIIST IN NEWS ON OCT 30, 2017 10:40 PM

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/swallow_medal9.jpg

Recently, a man arrived at a Xi'an hospital complaining of some chest pain, which was alleviated after doctors removed a gold medal, three centimeters in diameter, from his esophagus.
Afterward, the man explained how exactly the medal got to be there in the first place. He said that he is a Sanshou (散打) champion while his wife is a champion of Taekwondo. One night, they got into a fierce argument. After his wife smashed his trophy, he took revenge by swallowing hers.
When asked about why they didn't simply work out there differences by actually fighting, the husband answered, matter of factly, that if they fought the entire house would have been destroyed.
You can watch a Chinese news report about the incident below:

On Weibo, one online commenter pointed out that since they were both professionals, if they really did fight each other, then perhaps their problems would have been solved, because at least one of them would have ended up dead.
By Alex Tang
[Images via ChinaNews]
The vid is embedded so I couldn't c&p it easily

GeneChing
01-05-2018, 08:46 AM
This article feels like the author processing a photogenic loss. I can relate. Writing is a natural place to process (I do it all the time - case & point: my post-TCEC blogs (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1363)).

AIN'T THAT A KICK IN THE HEAD
What an unexpected kick in the face taught me about humility (https://work.qz.com/1170416/all-professionals-need-to-be-gently-kicked-in-the-face-from-time-to-time/)
By Roshan Bharwaney 2 hours ago
Executive development

https://i0.wp.com/d2y7qo7o134p9n.cloudfront.net/2018/01/rtx2m9yl.jpg?quality=88&strip=all&w=1100
REUTERS/ISSEI KATO
This happens to everyone, though usually it’s metaphorical.

For more than a decade, I’ve worked helping to develop thousands of leaders from around the world at programs I have run or sponsored. In that role, I am constantly learning and forced to evolve so that I can best serve my audience. My other pursuit, one that also keeps me on my toes (quite literally), is Taekwondo.

I have been practicing Taekwondo for almost 18 years and have been an instructor for about 15. Taekwondo, the Korean art of kicking and punching, is one of the world’s most popular martial arts as measured by number of practitioners. It has been an Olympic sport since 2000 and is best known for its high kicks. I have a fourth-degree, master-rank black belt.

Recently, myself and several other black-belts were asked to spar with students as part of their test to achieve black belts themselves. I was sparring one of the candidates, Frank. Frank is less experienced than I am, he’s shorter, and he had been performing other test requirements prior to our match that were exhausting and challenging. Under these conditions, it is very unlikely for a candidate to score a headshot on a taller and more experienced opponent. For the first two minutes, it had been a largely one-sided match, as is normally the case when a candidate is testing for their black belt.

And then, in front of our entire class and head instructor, I was kicked in the face by Frank. This moment also happened to be captured on camera:

https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/gritzbachmichael_blackbelttest_cutkd_-44.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=620
COURTESY OF MICHAEL GRITZBACH
Immortalized forever.

I wasn’t going easy on him and, after the successful strike, both he and the audience erupted in excitement. In that moment, it was as though Frank won by knockout. This was a David and Goliath moment—and it wasn’t pleasant being Goliath. I was surprised and in disbelief.

After the test, I began reflecting on ego and humility. I thought about moments that humble us in our professional careers. In speeches given by many award winners and newly appointed CEOs, they say they are “humbled” by the award or appointment. The phrase has now been used so many times in acceptance speeches that it’s become almost obligatory, but do they really mean they’re “humbled?”

Humility refers to being free of pride or arrogance. People who use the phrase probably mean they feel they don’t deserve the win or appointment, but is that really the case? If they strongly believed that, would they not decline the award or promotion? Maybe they are using the phrase so they appear humble, but to say they feel honored is probably more accurate. What they’re experiencing in that moment is quite different from being kicked in the face.

Failure in front of subordinates is potentially embarrassing and our psychological defense mechanisms may activate to protect our ego, as in my case of the initial disbelief at getting kicked in the face. If I view Frank’s successful strike as a lucky shot instead of resulting from his own skill and merit or my poor preparation and focus, I close myself off from the learning opportunity.

If I had told Frank and the audience after the match that I let him score on me (which wasn’t the case), that would protect my own views of my ability and maintain the difference in hierarchy we have. But the negative effects would be to reduce his sense of accomplishment and diminish the appreciation that the audience had for him. I, too, would miss out on the opportunity to reflect on my own vulnerabilities and ego.

Experiencing failure helps us remain humble if we have the courage to reflect on the learnings instead of explaining away or making excuses for the failure. Accepting failure and remaining humble also helps keep us resilient and willing to take risks.

In the workplace, kicks to the face will come and many of us avoid them to our peril. Upon discovering a mistake in a presentation, how many of us stay silent in the hopes that no one discovers the error? Instead, it’s better for the team and work itself if we speak up and confess the error and correct it. How many times have you been in a meeting when someone uses a term you don’t know? Rather than admitting ignorance, most of us stay in the dark and miss out on the opportunity to learn and contribute to the discussion.

Mistakes will happen. You’ll be late to a meeting. You’ll call a client the wrong name. You’ll transpose numbers in a spreadsheet. You’ll have no idea what that funny acronym means. These things happen. Rather than pretend you’re immune to these human failings, why not accept the kicks to the face as inevitable? Solutions will come more quickly. Errors will be corrected on the spot. Staying humble means that you will be someone who cares more about the work than your ego. Successful leaders are resilient in times of adversity and often have histories of major successes and failures that they have learned from.

After the belt test, Frank and I gave each other a big hug. During the match, in that embrace, and at all times, we engage as equals. The rest of the team, who viewed the match, didn’t shun or look down on me. Even though I am a Taekwondo black-belt, I know I don’t have to act or be perfect. I believe I am there to help others and I want others to feel I am there to help. I’ve learned that this brings appreciation and trust. I believe I am also refining my abilities and knowledge, that there are always more things to learn and ways to keep growing.

One of my Taekwondo instructors once told me to never think of myself as a master or that I have nothing more to learn from others because, if I do, that is the end of my learning and growth. If we cease to be reflective and humble, we risk stagnating and diminishing. I have the good fortune of participating in a sport that helps keep me humble.

It’s not the first time and probably won’t be the last time I’m hit in the head—and that’s not a bad thing.

Roshan Bharwaney has worked on executive development at WPP, the world’s largest advertising group, for the past 13 years and has written a book about teaching Taekwondo.

GeneChing
01-22-2018, 10:01 AM
This is one of the great contributions that martial arts gives to the world. It crosses borders and unifies.

Koreas to be united by traditional martial art of taekwondo -- again (http://m.yna.co.kr/mob2/en/contents_en.jsp?cid=AEN20180117015800315&site=0400000000&mobile)
2018-01-17 23:44
Normal FontLarge Font
SEOUL, Jan. 17 (Yonhap) -- The Korean martial art of taekwondo brought the divided Koreas together, if only briefly, south of the tense border last summer.

And it will do so again at the tail end of winter, during the Feb. 9-25 PyeongChang Winter Olympics.

North Korea agreed Wednesday to send a taekwondo demonstration team of about 30 to PyeongChang, 180 kilometers east of Seoul. The team will give performances in both PyeongChang and Seoul during its stay. The two sides will decide on a specific schedule later.

http://img.yonhapnews.co.kr/etc/inner/EN/2018/01/17/AEN20180117015800315_02_i.jpg

In this file photo taken June 24, 2017, South Korean President Moon Jae-in (fourth from L, back row) poses with taekwondo demonstrators from South Korea and North Korea after the opening ceremony of the World Taekwondo (WT) World Taekwondo Championships at T1 Arena in Muju, North Jeolla Province. (Yonhap)

Last June, during the World Taekwondo (WT) World Championships in Muju, 240 kilometers south of Seoul, North Korea sent a demonstration team for a total of four performances, including during the opening ceremony of the world championships. The taekwondo practitioners from the North belonged to the International Taekwondo Federation (ITF), a separate taekwondo entity from the WT.

The WT and the ITF have different sets of rules, and the WT is the only taekwondo body recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC). But that hasn't prevented the two organizations from making efforts to work together.

Most notably, they signed a landmark agreement in August 2014, titled "Protocol of Accord," which outlined areas of mutual cooperation. And ITF sent its delegation to Muju last summer to honor the agreement. It was the first instance of inter-Korean sports exchange under the new Moon Jae-in administration in the South.

During the ITF team's visit, Moon called on North Korea to participate in the PyeongChang Olympics and expressed his hope for a joint Korean team.

The WT was scheduled to pay a reciprocal visit to Pyongyang in September but the trip never materialized, amid a series of North Korean military provocations.

The North's nuclear test and missile launches also threatened to derail plans for a joint taekwondo demonstration by the WT and the ITF during the PyeongChang Olympics. But the mood changed for the better at the turn of the year, after North Korean leader Kim Jong-un offered to send an athletic delegation to PyeongChang in his New Year's message.

The two Koreas met eight days later, exchanging ideas on North Korean athletes' participation and also on visits by taekwondo practitioners and an art troupe.

On Wednesday, they settled on the size of the taekwondo team, which will be tasked with bringing the Koreas closer.

http://img.yonhapnews.co.kr/etc/inner/EN/2018/01/17/AEN20180117015800315_03_i.jpg

In this file photo taken June 24, 2017, taekwondo demonstrators from North Korea break bricks during the opening ceremony of the World Taekwondo (WT) World Taekwondo Championships at T1 Arena in Muju, North Jeolla Province. (Yonhap)

jeeho@yna.co.kr
(END)

Thread: Winter Olympics (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70589-Winter-Olympics&p=1307052#post1307052)
Thread: Taekwondo (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)

GeneChing
02-23-2018, 04:00 PM
This guy

redefines stud

https://stillmed.olympic.org/media/Images/OlympicOrg/News/2018/02/09/2018-02-09-Tongas-Taufatofua-thumbnail.jpg
2016 GETTY IMAGES
DATE 09 FEB 2018
PYEONGCHANG 2018
TONGA’S TAUFATOFUA COMPLETES SWITCH FROM TAEKWONDO TO CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING (https://www.olympic.org/news/tonga-s-taufatofua-completes-switch-from-taekwondo-to-cross-country-skiing)

ONLY THE SECOND WINTER OLYMPIAN IN TONGA’S HISTORY, PITA TAUFATOFUA IS SET TO JOIN AN ELITE CLUB OF ATHLETES TO COMPETE AT THE SUMMER AND WINTER GAMES, HAVING REPRESENTED HIS COUNTRY IN TAEKWONDO AT RIO 2016.

In a reinvention worthy of a Hollywood script, the Tongan taekwondo athlete will compete as a cross-country skier at PyeongChang 2018.

Having rejected movie offers and modelling contracts after his eye-catching displays in Rio, the Australia-born 34-year-old – who had never seen snow until two years ago – becomes just the second athlete from the Pacific nation to qualify for a Winter Games.

Taufatofua had to battle through four Olympic cycles before becoming Tonga's first Olympic taekwondo competitor at Rio 2016, so making it to “PyeongChang was simple by comparison.”

“It still feels quite strange actually being here, because it took me 20 years to get to Rio, and just one year to get here,” the former youth worker said. "It’s just an honour. I mean, how many countries in the Pacific get to go to a Winter Games?”

https://stillmed.olympic.org/media/Images/OlympicOrg/News/2018/02/09/2018-02-09-Tongas-Taufatofua-inside-01.jpg
GETTY IMAGES
FLYING THE FLAG FOR TONGA

As he did in Rio, Taufatofua will carry Tonga's flag at the Opening Ceremony as the country's sole athlete at the Games. But he will certainly be opting for warmer clothing at the PyeongChang Olympic Stadium than he did in Rio.

After the Opening Ceremony in Rio, images of Taufatofua – oiled up, shirtless and wearing a traditional Tongan skirt at the head of the country's tiny delegation – went viral on social media, thrusting him into minor celebrity.

Eighteen months on, Taufatofua presents a much leaner figure than the muscular martial artist who competed in the 80kg division. After Rio, he rejected various offers of modelling gigs and film roles, choosing instead to ponder his next big challenge.

He opted for the gruelling discipline of cross-country skiing because it was the “hardest” thing he could think of doing.

TRAINING ON SAND

With no snow in Tonga or near his Brisbane base in Australia, Taufatofua's training regimen began with running on sand dunes with wooden planks strapped to his feet.

“We had to mimic being on snow while not being on snow,” he said. “We’d strap pieces of wood to our feet and run on the sand just to get the balance and some sort of glide.”

Taufatofua's cross-country skiing adventure may only be a brief interlude before he refocuses on taekwondo, a sport that has given him six broken bones, three torn ligaments and hundreds of hours of rehabilitation.

Indeed, he is already thinking about the possibility of a third successive Olympic appearance at Tokyo 2020.

“Taekwondo and skiing, now they’re all in my blood,” he said. “I may go for the magic three [in Tokyo]. It’s never been done [by a Tongan] before.”

Thread: hTae Kwon Do (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)
Thread: Winter Olympics (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70589-Winter-Olympics)

Marie_Flowers88
02-27-2018, 06:21 AM
It is a GREAT SPORT to do but it is not great for self-defense :)

GeneChing
03-15-2018, 11:14 AM
Halifax taekwondo grandmaster suspended over caning (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-taekwondo-grand-master-suspended-alleged-caning-1.4573113)
Neither the student nor the student's parents complained about the incident
By Anjuli Patil, CBC News Posted: Mar 12, 2018 7:08 PM AT Last Updated: Mar 13, 2018 4:59 PM AT

https://i.cbc.ca/1.4573134.1520886942!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/woo-yong-jung.jpg
Woo Yong Jung is head instructor and owner of Woo Yong's Taekwondo Academy. (CBC)

Anjuli Patil
Reporter
Anjuli Patil is a reporter and occasional video journalist with CBC Nova Scotia's digital team.

A Halifax taekwondo grandmaster has had his coaching credentials at local and national taekwondo events suspended after he struck a 17-year-old student with a bamboo cane in early January.

Woo Yong Jung, head instructor and owner of Woo Yong's Taekwondo Academy on Kempt Road, caned the student in front of numerous members of the club, but neither the student nor the student's parents complained. The Maritime Taekwondo Union (MTU) issued Jung's suspension.

"Master Jung has done a tremendous amount to advance the study of taekwondo in Canada. He is the only grandmaster in Atlantic Canada and has been teaching for 30 years. This isolated incident is, unfortunately, being blown way out of proportion," Jung's lawyer, Jason Gavras, told CBC News in an email.

2 investigations

The union said in a news release issued Monday the caning incident, as well as a second alleged incident are being investigated.

The initial incident was reported Jan. 15. The second incident is in relation to Jung's subsequent behaviour at the National Taekwondo Championships held in Ottawa the weekend of Feb. 15-18.

"It is not part of what taekwondo has as part of its principles, its tenets," said union president Douglas Large. "We do not, as masters and instructors, use corporal punishment."

The results of the investigations will be handed over to an independent discipline panel for review and possible additional sanctions, the union said in a news release. Sanctions range from dismissal of the complaint to permanent expulsion from the union.

No police charges

Gavras said Jung, the student who was disciplined and his family are "quite surprised that this matter has become a story."

"They consider it largely a non-event and closed long ago," Gavras said. "This entire matter is the result of a very botched process conducted by a small, informal group of people within the MTU and one anonymous complainant."

Halifax Regional Police investigated the incident, but did not lay any charges.

"The youth did not require any medical attention and did not suffer physical injuries," Const. Carol McIsaac told CBC News in an email.

Gavras said Jung believes this is a case of his competitors trying to damage his reputation because of his success in producing champions. Jung himself won a bronze medal at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona.

Parental support for Jung

When Large was asked by CBC News if he was impartial in this incident, he said he's not involved in the investigation or any of the procedures and processes underway.

Meanwhile, the chairperson of the Woo Yong Parents Association said he supports Jung.

"We're rather surprised and rather bewildered by the whole situation," said chairperson Byron Kendall. "There was a decision that was made by a family, a decision on discipline and how to discipline a young man to try to correct some difficult behaviour and that decision involved Master Jung."

Kendal said he has "absolutely no concern" about the safety and security of his six- and nine-year-old children when they're in the care of Jung.

Large said he's been practising taekwondo for nearly 20 years and this is the first time he's heard of caning in the sport.

"It's not what I teach in my practice, it's not what anyone that I know outside of this incident would ever do," said Large.

Gavras said Jung's discipline was "entirely in keeping with his cultural tradition and training and the student, having studied in Korea, was fully aware of this and doesn't see it as a problem."

Back when I taught kids, I had a few parents pull me aside and tell me it was okay if I needed to beat their kids for discipline. I never did. Beat your own dang kids. That wasn't what you hired me for.

Thread: Busted Martial Artists (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?48947-Busted-Martial-Artists)
Thread: Tae Kwon Do (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)

Jimbo
03-15-2018, 12:35 PM
When I studied Shi-to ryu karate as a kid, if you made the same mistake more than a couple times, or were goofing off, our Japanese sensei would make you stand at attention and he'd smack you on the front top of your head with a middle-finger fist. Not hard enough to injure you, but enough to smart. Back then, most of us took it for granted that's the way things were done in MA. We'd just take it and continue on with barely a second thought about it. He also kicked or struck some of the adults. It was a non-issue.

For myself, I may not have adminstered corporal punishment as a part of teaching, but I can see why some old-school MA teachers might have (within reasonable limitations, of course).

GeneChing
04-05-2018, 09:10 AM
Olympic taekwondo coach Jean Lopez banned for sexual misconduct with a minor (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2018/04/04/olympic-taekwondo-coach-jean-lopez-banned-sexual-misconduct-minor/485501002/)
Nancy Armour and Rachel Axon, USA TODAY Published 11:56 a.m. ET April 4, 2018 | Updated 9:04 p.m. ET April 4, 2018

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/46ec912424c678f26d4776f925b885766acd39f3/c=70-0-3382-2490&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2018/04/04/USATODAY/USATODAY/636584387841824649-XXX-TAE-LOPEZ-MARK-EMB4594-21889137.JPG
Jean Lopez is the coach for his brother, Steven Lopez, who is taekwondo’s biggest star and the most decorated athlete in that sport. USA TODAY Sports
(Photo: Eileen Blass, USA TODAY Sports)

Jean Lopez, the older brother and longtime coach of two-time Olympic taekwondo champion Steven Lopez, has been declared permanently ineligible after the U.S. Center for SafeSport found him guilty of sexual misconduct and sexual misconduct involving a minor.

The decision reached Tuesday brings resolution to an investigation that began with USA Taekwondo three years ago and was turned over to SafeSport when it opened in March 2017. Three women who spoke with USA TODAY Sports have described sexual misconduct by Jean Lopez dating back to 1997, and one of those women filed a complaint with USA Taekwondo in 2006.

“This matter concerns a decades long pattern of sexual misconduct by an older athlete/coach abusing his power to groom, manipulate and, ultimately, sexually abuse younger female athletes,” SafeSport said in its decision obtained by USA TODAY Sports.

“Given the number of incidents reported over a span of several years and by multiple reporting parties, most of whom have no reasonable motive to fabricate an allegation – much less multiple, distinct incidents – of misconduct, the totality of the circumstances clearly shows a recurrent pattern of behavior on the part of Jean."

More: Lopez brothers, Olympic taekwondo royalty, hit with sex abuse allegations

More: USA Taekwondo athlete allowed in Rio Olympics training gym after ban for sexual misconduct

SafeSport published Lopez’s name in its database Wednesday morning, noting the decision is subject to appeal and not yet final.

Jean Lopez could not be reached for comment Wednesday. George Weissfisch, who served as Lopez’s advisor through the process, did not respond to an email from USA TODAY Sports.

USA TODAY Sports reported the allegations against Jean Lopez in June, as well as separate allegations of sexual misconduct against Steven Lopez. In an interview with USA TODAY Sports last spring, Steven Lopez denied the allegations.

Steven Lopez is taekwondo’s biggest star and the most decorated athlete in that sport. He is a five-time Olympian with gold medals in 2000 and 2004 and a bronze in 2008, as well as five world titles.

USA Taekwondo turned over its investigation of Steven Lopez to SafeSport last year, and the status of his case is unclear. Mandy Meloon, who accused the two-time Olympic champion of rape and physical abuse, said SafeSport investigator Kathleen Smith told her last month that SafeSport was still trying to arrange an interview with him.

But Wednesday night, Steven Lopez's name was added to the SafeSport database of disciplinary records as having been placed under an "interim measure-restriction" for sexual misconduct. The decision date is listed as June 19, 2017, and SafeSport describes this category as someone whose eligibility "has been restricted pending final resolution of the matter."

It's not clear what the restriction is referring to; Lopez participated in last year's world championships, which began June 24, as well as this year's U.S. Open and national team trials.

Lopez, 39, qualified for his 24th national team at trials in February, and he told the Houston Chronicle that he intends to keep competing through the Tokyo Olympics in 2020. He did not immediately return a phone call from USA TODAY Sports on Wednesday night seeking comment.

Steven Lopez has been coached throughout his career by Jean, who also coached siblings Mark and Diana Lopez to medals in Beijing in 2008. Jean Lopez, 44, coached the U.S. team in four Olympics.

USA TODAY Sports reported in June that Jean and Steven Lopez were allowed to participate in the 2016 Rio Olympics even though both had been accused of sexual assault and USA Taekwondo had been investigating them for more than a year. USA Taekwondo never held hearings that would have brought a resolution to the cases, but the attorney who conducted the investigation was concerned enough that he alerted the FBI.

“I am relieved and excited that he will no longer be able to coach young athletes or manipulate girls in these kinds of settings,” said Heidi Gilbert, who accused Jean Lopez of sexually assaulting her in 2003 while they were at a tournament in Germany. “I am highly disappointed in the process. It seems like they handled the situation different for the Lopezes vs. other coaches.

“It just took way too long,” she added. “But I am relieved. And very excited that no girl is ever going to have to deal with him again.”

USA Taekwondo had no immediate response, citing its policy of not commenting on active cases. Jean Lopez has until Tuesday to contest the decision through an arbitrator. He has denied all of the allegations, both in interviews with SafeSport and last spring with USA TODAY Sports.

“I’ve never been inappropriate with anyone,” Jean Lopez told USA TODAY Sports.

The decision makes Lopez permanently ineligible for membership to USA Taekwondo, which would prohibit Jean Lopez from coaching Steven or any other athlete on the U.S. team.

Last month, USA Taekwondo announced a collaboration to share information on misconduct issues involving members with Amateur Athletic Union.

Lopez has spoken at seminars or worked at camps in other countries, including Argentina and Chile. SafeSport’s decision would not bar him from coaching in other countries. That would require a ban by World Taekwondo, and its rules require national federations to report misconduct complaints.

“The reach of it’s always going to be limited,” said Jon Little, an attorney who sued USA Taekwondo on several occasions and who now represents five women who said they were sexually assaulted by the Lopez brothers.

“He’s always going to be able to go to Argentina or do something. …They can’t totally stop him from coaching.”

Jean Lopez has been coaching at a gym in Las Vegas, which touts his Olympic credentials.

On its website, Legacy Taekwondo says it is the “only taekwondo training center in Las Vegas who can boast instructors that have won and coached Olympic, World and National gold medalist on behalf of the United States of America.”

The SafeSport decision comes more than a decade after Meloon first told USA Taekwondo in 2006 that Jean Lopez had sexually assaulted her at a tournament in 1997. She was 16 at the time.

While USA Taekwondo dismissed her claim at the time, SafeSport’s investigation found it to have merit.

“It’s not only myself personally, everything in the news, the #metoo,” Meloon said. “It wasn’t the right time. It was just so accepted. It was just the way things were, and now it’s just different.”

SafeSport’s investigation also found Jean Lopez had assaulted Gilbert and a third woman, with whom he had also engaged in a consensual sexual relationship with her starting when she was 17.

“This is probably one of the worst SafeSport cases I’ve ever seen,” Little said.

“Literally it went on for two decades. I guess if you’re asking me is there a difference between now and then, the answer is barely. I’m encouraged that the USOC took action against such a prominent person. However, look what it took. It took multiple newspaper stories over multiple years. It took multiple proceedings at the USOC and in other venues. It took police reports to various agencies. It took a lot for a long time for this to end. And the bottom line is that nothing should take this long.”

The Olympic movement is under heavy criticism for its handling of sexual abuse cases following revelations that longtime USA Gymnastics physician Larry Nassar abused hundreds of women, including Olympic champions Aly Raisman, Simone Biles, McKayla Maroney, Jordyn Wieber and Gabby Douglas. USA Taekwondo, USA Swimming, US Speedskating and USA Judo also have been criticized for how they’ve handled high-profile or wide-spread allegations of abuse.

In January, the bipartisan House Energy and Commerce Committee asked the U.S. Olympic Committee, USA Gymnastics, USA Taekwondo, USA Swimming and Michigan State to provide information on how they have handled complaints. It has since expanded its inquiry to include all national governing bodies and is awaiting responses.

The USOC has long maintained it does not have the authority or resources to investigate abuse complaints. Instead, it created the U.S. Center for SafeSport, which is charged with adjudicating all sexual abuse complaints in the Olympic movement.

When SafeSport opened in March 2017, national governing bodies were told to turn over any pending sexual abuse cases. The complaints against Jean Lopez and his brother were given to the center immediately.

Threads:
Busted Martial Artists (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?48947-Busted-Martial-Artists)
2020 Tokyo Olympics (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?64475-2020-Tokyo-Olympics)
Tae Kwon Do

GeneChing
04-30-2018, 06:58 AM
I just heard from two reliable sources that the Father of American TKD passed away. Can anyone validate? I searched the news but maybe it's too early. Usually I don't post these unless I have a valid obituary, but today I don't have that luxury, so I hope someone else here can confirm. If this is fake news, I'll recant.

GeneChing
04-30-2018, 10:19 AM
...but I just saw Masters Dennis Brown (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=913) and Diana Lee Inosanto (https://www.facebook.com/diana.l.inosanto) post this on their facebook feeds, and they would know. So I'm copying this off the TKD thread (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do) into its own indie thread (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70773-RIP-Grandmaster-Jhoon-Rhee).

GeneChing
06-05-2018, 07:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYSnvrmZsl0

THREADS:
10th Tiger Claw Elite KungFuMagazine.com Championship (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70463-10th-Tiger-Claw-Elite-KungFuMagazine-com-Championship-May-19-20-2018-San-Jose-CA)
Tae Kwon Do (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)

GeneChing
06-18-2018, 03:00 PM
Thousands take part in largest Taekwondo display in South Korea to promote peace (http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/commercial/2018/6/thousands-take-part-in-largest-taekwondo-display-to-promote-peace-in-south-korea-528671)
By Rachel Swatman Published 07 June 2018

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/Images/Largest-Taekwondo-lesson-header-collage_tcm25-528673.jpg

A breathtaking martial arts display took place recently at the National Assembly Grounds in Seoul, South Korea, in the run up to the first inter-Korean summit.

The event broke the Guinness World Records title for the Largest Taekwondo display, with a staggering 8,212 people taking part.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/Images/Largest-Taekwondo-display-wide-shot_tcm25-528679.jpg

Before taking on the official attempt in front of Guinness World Records adjudicator Raymond Marshall and hundreds of stewards, the group had two practice performances to perfect the routine.

The expertly-choreographed demonstration lasted for 10 minutes, with all the participants wearing traditional Taekwondo attire.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/Images/Largest-Taekwondo-lesson-participants_tcm25-528676.jpg

The event was organised by The National Assembly Taekwondo Federation, Brand & Company Co. Ltd. and Christian Television System Co LTD.

GuinnessWorldRecords (https://twitter.com/GWR/status/1004705829277323264?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guinnessworldrecords.com% 2Fnews%2Fcommercial%2F2018%2F6%2Fthousands-take-part-in-largest-taekwondo-display-to-promote-peace-in-south-korea-528671)

@GWR
8,212 young and old martial arts learners and pros took part in this huge #Taekwondo display in South Korea > http://bit.ly/GWR-TaekwondoDisplay … 🥋

05:45 - 7 Jun 2018
See Guinness World Records's other Tweets
Twitter Ads information and privacy
Taekwondo originated in Korea and the organisations wished to promote the sport and encourage peace between the neighbouring nations.

Both young and old attended the event. Their enjoyment and determination was evident, as only around 150 people out of the thousands participating were disqualified for not taking part in the display correctly within the record guidelines.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/Images/Largest-Taekwondo-lesson-kids_tcm25-528675.jpg
Lee Sang-min, the CEO of Brand & Company, commented: "Although the success of the Guinness World Records title has its own significance, Taekwondo – which was born in the divided country – gathered people in one place to realise that one spirit has contributed in birthing a new global, cultural sport."

"Taekwondo has played an important role in bringing South and North Korea together, with the symbol of peace for the future."

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/Images/Largest-Taekwondo-lesson-young-kids_tcm25-528677.jpg

The attempt was broadcast on Korean news channel YTM and will appear in an upcoming documentary about Taekwondo in Korea.

This new record is more than seven times higher than the previous one, which was achieved by J R International Taekwondo Academy & Indian Martial Arts Academy Team in a spectacular display by 1,152 participants, back in 2016.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/Images/Largest-Taekwondo-display-certificate-presentation_tcm25-528678.jpg
Largest Taekwondo display: Certificate presentation

Check out many more spectacular and impressive martial arts records on

THREADS:
Martial Arts World Records and Stunts (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52601-Martial-Arts-World-Records-and-Stunts)
Taekwondo (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)

GeneChing
08-06-2018, 08:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp1hff70HRs

Jimbo
08-07-2018, 03:24 PM
Grandmaster Park Jong-Soo demo, 1973.

Old(er)-school TKD. I'd read of GM Park decades ago, but had never seen him demo. I'm very impressed with his speed, power and precision. Especially the perfection of his kicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcgUXV_mp6U

GeneChing
08-30-2018, 08:11 AM
More on Jean Lopez here (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do&p=1308176#post1308176).

Taekwondo star Jean Lopez reinstated after ban from sport amid sexual misconduct allegations (https://www.click2houston.com/news/taekwondo-coach-from-sugar-land-accused-of-sexual-misconduct-reinstated-after-ban-from-sport)
By Click2Houston.com Staff
Posted: 10:45 PM, August 18, 2018
Updated: 10:45 PM, August 18, 2018

https://bobcat.grahamdigital.com/image/upload/view?width=1280&height=720&method=crop&url=https://media.click2houston.com/photo/2018/04/04/jean%20lopez%20getty_1522871899702.jpg_11882010_ve r1.0_640_360.jpg
Getty Images

HOUSTON - Noted taekwondo coach Jean Lopez, from Sugar Land, who has been accused of sexual misconduct, has been reinstated after being blocked from the sport earlier this year.

Lopez's attorney confirmed to KPRC 2 that the sanctions have been lifted by Safesport and he is eligible to coach again. Lopez was banned amid sexual misconduct charges that were filed this year.

The charges stem from an investigation that began three years ago.

Threads:
Busted Martial Artists (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?48947-Busted-Martial-Artists)
2020 Tokyo Olympics (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?64475-2020-Tokyo-Olympics)
Tae Kwon Do (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)

GeneChing
08-30-2018, 08:17 AM
Now it's about Safe Sport.

Safe Sport added to lawsuit alleging USOC cover up of sexual abuse of taekwondo athletes by Lopez brothers (https://www.ocregister.com/2018/08/24/safe-sport-added-to-lawsuit-alleging-usoc-cover-up-of-sexual-abuse-of-taekwondo-athletes-by-lopez-brothers/)
Organizations accused of sex trafficking and forced labor by former Team USA athletes

https://www.ocregister.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/LDN-L-SAFESPORT-LOPEZ-0825-1.jpg?w=1018
Steven Lopez, an Olympic gold medalist in Tae Kwon Do is introduced as honorary captain before an NFL football game Sunday, Sept. 18, 2016, in Houston. (AP Photo/George Bridges)

By SCOTT M. REID | sreid@scng.com | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: August 24, 2018 at 4:40 pm | UPDATED: August 24, 2018 at 4:55 pm

The U.S. Center for Safe Sport has been added to a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Denver Friday that alleges gross negligence and trafficking by Safe Sport and the U.S. Olympic Committee for failing to protect female taekwondo athletes from sexual abuse by Olympic gold medalist Steven Lopez and his brother Jean, a longtime U.S. national team coach.

Kay Poe, a 2000 Olympian, on Friday joined other former and current Team USA athletes in a lawsuit that charges that the USOC, Safe Sport and USA Taekwondo, the sport’s national governing body, engaged in forced labor, sex trafficking and racketeering under federal RICO statutes by secretly obstructing investigations in allegations of sexual abuse by the Lopez brothers.

Specifically the lawsuit alleges that investigations into sexual abuse allegations against the Lopez brothers were suspended to allow the brothers to coach and compete in the 2016 Olympic Games and 2017 U.S. Championships.

The suit also alleges that Safe Sport’s claims of being independent are false and that the center is compromised by conflicts of interest. The center, which opened in March 2017, was created by and is financed by the USOC.

“This case will conclusively demonstrate that Safe Sport is a sham,” said Robert Allard, an attorney for Poe. “We have seen case after case highlighted by the recent decision to reinstate alleged serial predator JeanLopez where SafeSport bends over backward to protect pedophile coaches and, as a consequence, the financial interests of the USOC and its (national governing bodies).”

Friday’s amended complaint comes a week after Safe Sport removed Jean Lopez from its list of permanently ineligible individuals and given “interim restriction” status. It is unclear why Safe Sport made the change or what the conditions of the restriction are.

Jean Lopez was originally banned by Safe Sport in April for sexual misconduct and sexual misconduct involving a minor. Steven Lopez, a gold medalist at the 2000 and 2004 Olympic Games, was placed on “interim suspension” on May 7 by Safe Sport for “allegations of misconduct.”

The Lopez brothers have denied any wrongdoing.

The suit, initially filed this past spring, alleges that the USOC, Safe Sport and USA Taekwondo “obstructed, attempted to obstruct, interfered, and or prevented the enforcement” of their policies by ignoring verbal and written complaints of sexual abuse, dismissing complaints of and refusing to act on reports of sexual abuse and delaying the investigation of reports of sexual abuse. The suit also alleges the organizations advised athletes to withdraw complaints of sexual abuse that they knew were truthful, offered to put athletes back on team rosters only if they withdrew truthful complaints of sexual abuse, and threatened athletes with consequences for failure to withdraw complaints.

Poe in 1996 at the age of 14 became the youngest ever member of the U.S. national taekwondo team. She alleges Jean Lopez began sexually exploiting her and engaging in sexual intercourse with her in the year leading up to the 2000 Olympics. The suit said Lopez forced Poe into sex at the 1999 World Championships in Alberta. Lopez’s abuse of Poe was known to many in the USOC and USA Taekwondo community, the suit alleges.

Mandy Meloon alleges Jean Lopez molested her while to she pretended to sleep on a trip to a 1997 World Cup event in Cairo, Egypt. Meloon was 15 at the time. Meloon began a sexual relationship with Steven Lopez in 2000, according to court documents. She alleges in the filing that Steven Lopez physically abused her in 2002 and raped her in 2004.

Heidi Gilbert alleges Jean Lopez drugged, molested and performed oral sex on her while they traveled to a 2003 World Cup event in Germany. Later, Gilbert alleges, Jean Lopez told her he wanted to leave his wife and have “Olympic babies” with her.

Gabriella Joslin alleges Steven Lopez sexually assaulted her during the 2006 German Open.

Threads:

GeneChing
09-26-2018, 08:40 AM
Hold the phone...TKD has doctorates? :rolleyes:

Sonu Sood honoured with Doctorate Degree of Taekwondo (https://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/bollywood/sonu-sood-honoured-with-doctorate-degree-of-taekwondo-5373277/)
45-year-old actor Sonu Sood, who is known for leading a healthy lifestyle over the years, was felicitated with honour for his outstanding contribution and support towards taekwondo.
By: PTI | Mumbai | Updated: September 25, 2018 3:07:20 pm

https://images.indianexpress.com/2018/09/sonu-sood-759.jpeg
Sonu Sood was felicitated with honour for his outstanding contribution and support towards taekwondo sport.

Actor Sonu Sood has been honoured with the Doctorate Degree of Taekwondo. The 45-year-old actor actor, who is known for leading a healthy lifestyle over the years, was felicitated with honour for his outstanding contribution and support towards taekwondo.

He was honoured in the presence of Prabhat Sharma, secretary general of Taekwondo Federation of India at the opening ceremony of 107 International Kyorugi Referee Seminar/121st International Kyorugi Referee Refresher Course and 40th International Poomsae Referee Seminar.

“It feels good to see everybody so fit out here, all thanks to the event organisers who have managed to get the taekwondo experts all over the country on the same platform and created the Taekwondo Federation,” Sonu said in a statement.

“It’s great to know that people across all age groups are interested in taekwondo sport and they want to create awareness regarding the same and inspire others. Felicitating these experts would certainly inspire them and others to take up the sport as also a fitness initiative. I really hope such good fitness initiatives inspire the people and help us make a healthy India,” he added.

On the work front, Sonu will be next seen in Rohit Shetty’s Simmba, alongside Ranveer Singh and Sara Ali Khan.

THREADS
Bollywood Kung Fu!! (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?48576-Bollywood-Kung-Fu!!)

GeneChing
12-07-2018, 04:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHaxVwBJxbk

GeneChing
02-06-2019, 12:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfrO6SapB-g

THREADS
TKD (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)
The World's Best on CBS (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71179-The-World-s-Best-on-CBS)

GeneChing
02-06-2019, 12:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIzeaQvTbSc

THREADS
The World's Best on CBS (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71179-The-World-s-Best-on-CBS)

James needs these (https://www.martialartsmart.com/20-35081218.html).

GeneChing
04-18-2019, 08:38 AM
US, South Korea military members bond through martial arts (https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1814603/us-south-korea-military-members-bond-through-martial-arts/)
By Senior Airman Stefan Alvarez, 8th Fighter Wing Public Affairs / Published April 15, 2019

KUNSAN AIR BASE, South Korea (AFNS) --

The traditional martial art of Korea is Taekwondo, and members of the United States Forces-Korea got a chance to experience it firsthand with the South Korean Army.

The Korean Ministry of National Defense, or MND, organizes and hosts tours for U.S. military personnel on the peninsula to expose them to Korean culture. The Taekwondo tour gave both American and Korean service members a chance to understand the art, train together and deepen their bond through hand-to-hand combat techniques.

"It was a really great experience," said Staff Sgt. Robert Johnson, 8th Security Forces Squadron member. "I've done Taekwondo before and to experience it with Koreans was a special experience for me. To see the art form in its native country being performed and taught by its native people is something not many people can say that they have done."

The MND has been organizing tours almost every month since 1972, giving many opportunities for personnel stationed all over Korea to learn more about the vast history and unique culture of their South Korean counterparts. Taekwondo is the national martial art of Korea, and Koreans take pride in their proficiency and expertise in the sport.

"We hope that everything we teach to the U.S. military members is impactful," said John Hur, Grand Master, Taekwondo instructor at Camp Humphreys. "Our goal is to motivate them to learn more and practice not only for the fun of it, but so that they can learn to better themselves through Taekwondo."

Members who participated in the tour learned the basics of Taekwondo, along with some of the self-defense techniques that the South Korean military use in their combatives programs. Additionally, at the Taekwondowon campus, they toured the only museum in the world dedicated to Taekwondo, and watched several performances highlighting traditional Korean music and martial arts.

Soldiers, Marines and Airmen who went on the MND tour developed a stronger bond and friendship through blood, sweat and dedication from training with the South Korean Army.

Use martial arts to make friends.

GeneChing
05-06-2019, 11:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDrNOiHtAzI

Jimbo
05-06-2019, 04:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDrNOiHtAzI

I'm don't think it was a fake fight, like the guy is saying it is. If it were fake, I'm pretty certain they'd have made it look more "dramatic". The punches the one guy is throwing at the TKD guy's head looked real enough. It looks to me like the TKD guys were getting their butts whipped and decided to play hurt. I've seen some people pull this same stunt in Guoshu competitions: falling down to the mat, and faking as if they got hit illegally in the throat or the balls when they felt they couldn't win the fight, and hoping to get the other fighter DQ'd. And in the international competitions, there were one or two specific countries whose fighters were more prone to pulling this stunt than others.

In the case of this vid, it looks like the TKD guys got whipped and perhaps were attempting to set up a lawsuit(?).

GeneChing
05-21-2019, 08:45 AM
Moroccan taekwondo referee should be banned for life, says China coach (https://www.shine.cn/sport/1905204991/?fbclid=IwAR1NgM6a3T64JIZZ41It09rL_D_yOJ3FX2geoDUr z7RXZqhDmquPrTTXYLg)
Xinhua
12:14 UTC+8, 2019-05-20

https://obj.shine.cn/files/2019/05/20/830c359e-22e8-4a83-b8f4-312f64ad06b9_0.jpg
China's Zheng Shuyin (right) reacts after being controversially beaten by Great Britain's Bianca Walkden during the women's over-73kg final at the World Taekwondo Championships 2019 in Manchester, Britain on May 17.

Moroccan referee Tarik Benradi, who disqualified China's Olympic champion Zheng Shuyin in the world taekwondo championships final on Friday, should be banned for life, Zheng's coach said on Sunday.

Zheng, who took a dominant lead of 20-10 in the closing stages of the women's over-73kg category final on Friday against the UK's Bianca Walkden, was disqualified by Benradi, who alleged that the Chinese athlete had committed 10 fouls during the bout. Zheng's disqualification meant that Walkden secured her third successive world taekwondo title.

"We hope World Taekwondo will give us justice," said Guan Jianmin, head coach of the Chinese national team.

Guan, who is also President of the Chinese Taekwondo Federation, said China has made an appeal to World Taekwondo, the sport's world governing body.

"We made two requests in the appeal. Firstly, the decision should be overturned. Secondly, the referee should be banned for life."

"We don't actually care much about winning or losing the match. We are just angry with his behavior. It is not simply a mistake because everyone makes mistakes. His decision is destructive to the fair and just competitive environment for taekwondo. This is the biggest problem."

https://obj.shine.cn/files/2019/05/20/5fa2bf85-7e95-49a2-b042-a4570c2e8606_0.jpg
Xinhua
Zheng Shuyin cries as she stands on the podium.

Booing drowned out any cheers from British fans at the Manchester Arena as Walkden was announced as the winner, and Zheng refused to acknowledge the Briton's victory before collapsing on the podium and leaving the competition area in tears.

A source close to World Taekwondo told Xinhua that Benradi has not been seen since the controversial match and has already left Manchester.

"It is very difficult for him to officiate at world competitions," the source said.

Benradi was named male referee of the year by World Taekwondo in 2015 and one of the five best referees at the 2017 World Championships. Xinhua tried to contact him for comment but received no reply.

Guan said he is also waiting for "an apology" from Benradi, which he says is more important than a gold medal.

"The competition is over but we still hope our voice can be heard across the world. The competition should be held in a fair, just, open and reasonable way," the coach said.

China's two-time Olympic champion Wu Jingyu, who won the women's 49kg silver medal on Saturday, also blamed Benradi for ruining what should have been a "perfect" world championships.

"Every other match was held perfectly," said Wu, competing in her first major event since having her first child in 2017. "I have met such unfavorable decisions in my career, but this time the referee has gone too far."

Source: Xinhua Editor: Xu Qing

I'd say I'd have to see the fight, but I have a hard time following Olympic TKD. I don't really understand how the rules go.

GeneChing
06-17-2019, 08:36 AM
I just posted two dozen pix in a new album on the Tiger Claw facebook page 2019 Tiger Claw Elite Taekwondo Championship (https://www.facebook.com/pg/TigerClaw/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10158895288927715). These photos are from our graphic artist, Kevin Ho.

THREADS
2019 Tiger Claw Elite Championships (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71001-2019-Tiger-Claw-Elite-Championships-amp-KUNG-FU-TAI-CHI-DAY-May-18-19-San-Jose-CA)

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/64393114_10158895290227715_8737584533865496576_n.j pg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQkGbW9f5nzYRCNQeNvreO7mRgkhZdQhBXK9X0e1Bka 0UqweJHVmg8NBzl4t892WEF4&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=328339f32c840ebadf9e76332cca8a65&oe=5D84A23F

GeneChing
07-15-2019, 03:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Y5wSsUVhg

GeneChing
09-30-2019, 09:11 AM
Is this really a thing?

Stop World Taekwondo from using new dobok in Tokyo 2020 (https://www.petitions.net/stop_world_taekwondo_from_using_the_new_dobok_in_t okyo_2020?s=63764724&fbclid=IwAR0e4bE0bxpHDAgMjFbpt-t3X8w3HV4nfLfjII02327PS3D0JCsRfimCGp)

Petition
Signatures 1 314

We, the participants of taekwondo, around the world, OBJECT to the use of this dobok and respectfully petition World Taekwondo to preserve the integrity and tradition of our martial art and NOT USE this dobok in the Olympic Games.

https://www.petitions.net/uploads/images/dobok_cropped.png

Get your old skool Doboks here (https://www.martialartsmart.com/tae-kwon-do-uniforms.html).

THREADS

GeneChing
09-30-2019, 09:40 AM
This refers to the promotional vid I posted above (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do&p=1314604#post1314604).

Strip Tae Tease (https://www.tkdkwan.com/2019/07/strip-tae-tease.html)
12:22:00 AM Tkd kwan

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jS10HX3-kHg/XRsFFjfBfbI/AAAAAAAAUuQ/nYfaf-Nas8gOC8vAniLcW0ksrNViqwsCACLcBGAs/s320/Screenshot_20190702_110529.jpg
Picture from YouTube video

It seems that WT would allow anything, this show was a shame for Taekwondo community, especially because this demonstration looks like it was composed in a nightclub. Besides including those dirty dances and no Taekwondo techniques, these girls cloths are exposing the body shape in a dirty way (tight and thin)
Taekwondo as we knew it brought principles and philosophies that have roots from old Korean culture is nowadays getting rid of them 😔
We are not here to attack anyone in person, but we think that people who supposed to protect Taekwondo tradition are the ones destroying it.

Dirty way? I wonder if this commenter has ever even been to a strip club. Or ever a burlesque. :rolleyes:

Jimbo
10-01-2019, 08:03 AM
This refers to the promotional vid I posted above (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do&p=1314604#post1314604).

Dirty way? I wonder if this commenter has ever even been to a strip club. Or ever a burlesque. :rolleyes:

Wow. If the writer of that article thinks that type of dancing is dirty, he/she needs to get out more.

It’s clear that TKD in S. Korea is attempting to merge with K-pop (or to be K-popish) to stay relevant to the younger generation, who are generally more obsessed with synchronized dance routines than MA. Has the quality of TKD (or at least WTF TKD) fallen? It has. A lot. But that dance routine was in no way, shape or form ‘dirty’.

Oh, yeah, and those girls DID include some TKD in their dance routine...at least as much TKD technique as you’d see in a typical Olympic TKD match, if not more (at least they did a few ‘punches’).

GeneChing
10-10-2019, 09:08 AM
Some dudes just never learn. :o

Kung fu ‘master’ gets comeuppance from taekwondo fighter after sucker eye-poking Chinese kick-boxer (https://www.scmp.com/sport/martial-arts/kung-fu/article/3032333/kung-fu-master-gets-comeuppance-taekwondo-fighter-after)
Xingyi practitioner Wu Liang is smashed with kicks in one-sided bout
He notoriously raked Zhang Wensheng’s eyes when going to shake hands after being obliterated by the Glory kick-boxer
Nick Atkin
Published: 3:04pm, 10 Oct, 2019

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/1200x800/public/d8/images/methode/2019/10/10/e358c888-eb23-11e9-9e8e-4022fb9638c4_image_hires_181848.jpg?itok=8x6UjHLC&v=1570702733
A taekwondo practitioner kicks kung fu master Wu Liang. Photo: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns

Remember the kung fu “master” who sucker eye-poked a Chinese kick-boxer a little while ago? Well, he’s back, and he received a delicious dose of comeuppance.
Xingyi practitioner Wu Liang was soundly beaten by Glory fighter Zhang Wensheng after challenging him at his gym earlier this year, getting planted on his backside a few times before the referee mercifully stepped in.
When they went to shake hands, Wu raked Zhang’s eyes and was luckily protected from receiving further punishment with others stepping in to stop the MMA fighter punching him.
He probably should have stopped there, but it turns out Wu had another fight, this time against a taekwondo fighter at an event in June (which also featured a fake “pressure point master” getting a clearly staged win against a supposed Sanda fighter).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWpstjSMxaU

In a one-sided affair, Wu shows he has no idea how to check kicks, eating a few to his legs before the taekwondo fighter goes up high.
It doesn’t last long, with Wu crumpling down to the canvas in the corner. The referee checks to see if he is fit to continue, but quickly waives it off.
Hilariously, Wu had even tried a few eye-pokes on his opponent.
“TKD [taekwondo] guy was lucky that chi-blasts are banned in that fight,” one commenter replied on the video, which was posted by YouTube channel Fight Commentary Breakdowns.
“Kung fu guy did special death touch. TKD guy will die in 40 years after paying lots of taxes,” said another.

THREADS
MMA Challenges to Kung Fu (http://http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71327-MMA-Challenges-to-Kung-Fu)
Fake XingYi (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?32056-Fake-XingYi)

GeneChing
12-09-2019, 09:41 AM
Filipino gold medalist bows to Taekwondo master (https://news.abs-cbn.com/sports/multimedia/photo/12/07/19/filipino-gold-medalist-bows-to-taekwondo-master?fbclid=IwAR21QomuBWPSaGTybReCS6nyix_tHKgyCr W-tv1tr5FNpnJnMSJihEIKbR4)
George Calvelo, ABS-CBN News
Posted at Dec 07 2019 03:30 PM | Updated as of Dec 07 2019 04:27 PM

https://sa.kapamilya.com/absnews/abscbnnews/media/2019/sports/12/07/20191207_seagames-taekwondo-gc-br0i9417.jpg
Rodolfo Reyes Jr. of the Philippines bows to Grandmaster Sung-Chon Hong, considered the father of Philippine Taekwondo, during the SEA Games Taekwondo competition at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium on Saturday. Reyes won gold in the 2019 SEA Games Taekwondo Men's Individual Poomsae.
This photo went viral.

THREADS
SEA Games (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?49262-The-SEA-Games)

GeneChing
01-20-2020, 09:29 AM
Really?

Pro TaeKwonDo Competition in South Korea Now Uses TEKKEN Style Life Bars to Keep Score (http://www.fightersgeneration.com/news1/taekwondo-tekken.htm?fbclid=IwAR2a2yUnVJQFqzps5wWExqngLrSeyI n4tbweEcZ18EdaqcR_6GZqixjmyro)

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/newspanels7/tkd-fighting-game.png

Point-based martial arts competitions can be difficult to follow for spectators. The Korea TaeKwonDo Association recently debuted an impressive new piece of technology which implements "fighting game style" Life Bars (most closely resembling TEKKEN's) into a live martial arts tournament! Wearable sensors on each competitor's chest and head gear deduct points from their "life bar" on the big screen - all in real time. Each fighter starts out with 100 points of health, which depletes immediately onscreen after the corresponding "point" is scored. This makes it easier than ever for casual spectators in the audience to follow the pace of the fight and see who's in the lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5BOeCqx3Is continued next post

GeneChing
01-20-2020, 09:30 AM
In addition to the life bars, the round time remaining, competitor profiles & stats (similar to an eSport event), and even penalty notifications are displayed onscreen for all to see. The big-screen visuals are made even more satisfying with accompanying fighting game-style sound effects. It definitely makes point-style TKD bouts more entertaining to watch... here's hoping this becomes the new standard for the sport!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgvc-M8TUFQ

THREADS
Tekken (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?9127-Tekken)

GeneChing
02-21-2020, 08:44 AM
Skip to 45s on the vid to see the actual fight. I'm not convinced this TKD player really knew TKD (https://www.martialartsmart.com/tae-kwon-do.html). He just walks into that and doesn't even know fist bump etiquette. Some peeps are just making these sorts of vids now because they're good clickbait and I feel a bit tainted reposting them here.

Chinese taekwondo black belt challenges Muay Thai fighter; gets KO’d in seven seconds (https://www.scmp.com/sport/martial-arts/kung-fu/article/3051803/chinese-taekwondo-black-belt-challenges-muay-thai)
Huang Xiaolong didn’t last long in footage of fight that has gone viral on social media
‘At least that belt kept his trousers up,’ one commenter jokes after style-vs-style mismatch
Nick Atkin
Published: 5:34pm, 21 Feb, 2020

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/1200x800/public/d8/images/methode/2020/02/21/98650150-5489-11ea-8948-c9a8d8f9b667_image_hires_173446.png?itok=urIB7o2J&v=1582277694
Chinese World Taekwondo Federation black belt Huang Xiaolong lies concussed on the floor. Photo: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns

It was never going to take too long for footage of another embarrassing style-vs-style challenge match to emerge from China.
This time it was a Chinese World Taekwondo Federation black belt Huang Xiaolong, who is also trained in Muay Thai and karate, taking on a Chinese Muay Thai fighter in a match in Chengdu from back in 2009, but which has only recently gone viral on social media.
Huang looks dazed after getting clipped straight away by a left hook from the Muay Thai fighter but manages to circle to his left, keeping the distance.
He checks one of his opponent’s low kicks but leaves himself open up top with his hands by his waist, and that’s the beginning of the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqDGHxn3Nio&feature=emb_logo

Attempting a jump kick, Huang launches himself off both feet at the same time as the Muay Thai fighter lands a high kick flush on the side of his head.
Huang is propelled up into the air and on to his back – luckily his head doesn’t hit the gym’s wooden floor, but he will certainly have had some bad whiplash.
Huang is unable to get to his feet, even with help from his coach, and slumps down on to his back again, while the Muay Thai fighter bows his head in a show of traditional respect.
“Gotta love how the coach immediately starts jerking his head and neck around, trying to stand him back up whilst he's KTFO,” wrote one commenter on YouTube, where the video was posted by the Fight Commentary Breakdowns channel.
Chengdu is also the Chinese city were MMA fighter Xu Xiaodong famously knocked out tai chi “master” Lei Lei in around 10 seconds in 2017.
“He didn’t know taekwondo at all. He was only wearing the uniform,” said one commenter. “At least that belt kept his trousers up,” another wrote.

Nick Atkin
Nick is a production editor on the South China Morning Post’s sport desk, where he covers mixed martial arts (MMA). He was previously a sports writer and editor for ESPN.

THREADS
Muay Thai (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?26700-Muay-Thai)

Jimbo
02-21-2020, 11:39 AM
Skip to 45s on the vid to see the actual fight. I'm not convinced this TKD player really knew TKD (https://www.martialartsmart.com/tae-kwon-do.html). He just walks into that and doesn't even know fist bump etiquette. Some peeps are just making these sorts of vids now because they're good clickbait and I feel a bit tainted reposting them here.

THREADS
Muay Thai (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?26700-Muay-Thai)

I'm not convinced he knows TKD either, much less a black belt in it. Just look at the general way he carries himself. Unless the World TKD Federation has really lowered its standards to ****.

GeneChing
03-02-2020, 03:59 PM
We've worked with Master Jin on this for years. It's a local TKD tournament that attracts about 500+ competitors every year. Here is the website (https://www.santacruzopen.com/).

Below is his emailblast:

Dear Grandmasters, Masters, Instructors, Referees, and Students,

I am sorry to announce that I have decided to cancel the Santa Cruz Open Tae Kwon Do Championship this year, March 7, 2020. While there is no imminent threat of coronavirus to our participants, we are committed to the good health and well-being of all.
If you have paid already you will receive a refund of the tournament fee.
Thank you for your continued support of the Tae Kwon Do community.
My very best wishes to you for continued health and success.

Tournament Director

Grandmaster Sang Jin

THREADS
covid-19 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71666-Coronavirus-(COVID-19)-Wuhan-Pneumonia)
Taekwondo (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)

GeneChing
10-22-2020, 08:35 AM
Butler County martial arts academy training for unique national competition (https://www.journal-news.com/news/butler-county-martial-arts-academy-training-for-unique-national-competition/6CAZ7C5VMBGUHA4E4B446VOWVU/)
A martial arts business whose athletes routinely earn national titles moved into Middletown about a year ago. The approximately 5,000-square-foot training facility at 1725 Yankee Road was a structure that had been vacant for more than a year before Rob and Melissa Gerhardt renovated it into the second home of Budokai Academy of Martial Arts. https://www.journal-news.com/resizer/H3exJ33z9Wq0UI9ip_SDgLOWSzs=/1066x600/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/coxohio/6U3ZGVHEVJV6NMTTMOA5VIICNU.jpg
NEWS
| Oct 20, 2020
By Ed Richter, Staff Writer

As the coronavirus pandemic continues to force people to adapt to new norms, a local martial arts academy reopened after a three-month shutdown and has 70 students training to compete in a virtual national competition next weekend.

Melissa Gerhardt of Budokai Academy of Martial Arts in Middletown said her standalone academy has the largest number of competitors in the national competition while another academy with nine locations in the Cleveland area has the next-highest total of students competing.

She said her students in the competition range in age from 7 to late 50s and some have won national titles in the past.

“The team has been training hard and it is a huge accolade to compete and win in this competition,” she said.

She said instructors have to wear masks at all times but that is optional for students competing. Gerhardt said the competition team fights in events locally, regionally and nationally. Because of COVID-19, all of those events were cancelled this year. However, the Amateur Athletic Union for Taekwondo is holding a virtual nationals competition event next Friday and Saturday.

While there is no sparring in a virtual competition, students will compete in several breaking, forms, and weapons events for a national title.

Gerhardt said the breaking event includes competitors breaking 15 boards in the fastest time. The competitors perform skill in the weapons event that includes nunchucks and bow staves, and the form event is a demonstration of the competitors' execution of moves.

She said judges will watch two competitors at a time and determine the winners. The competition is “one and done” in which the winners advance to the next bracket, Gerhardt said.

“Our athletes are very excited to be a part of this and is definitely something positive during this pandemic,” she said.

The top four black belts who win gold at the national competition will have the opportunity to compete for a spot on the national team and participate in AAU competitions, Gerhardt said.

The local academy is affiliated with Kayla Harrison, a two-time Olympic gold medalist in judo who is now a PFL MMA champion and trains there when she is in her hometown of Middletown. It has 200 students, and there are many families training, she said.

“It’s fun and it’s more of a family sport ... everyone is on the mat here,” she said. “People can socialize and some have a goal of becoming a black belt.”

Last year, Gerhardt and her husband Rob opened the Middletown location at 1725 Yankee Road after outgrowing their previous location in Fairfield Twp. She retired as a sergeant with the Butler County Sheriff’s Office but recently returned as a part-time deputy/school resource officer.

The school offers Tae Kwon Do, Olympic Sparring, Hapkido, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo and Cardio Kickboxing, making it what Gerhardt said is “the only martial arts school in the Tri-State that offers all these arts under one roof.”

threads
Tae-Kwon-Do (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)
Online competitions (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71905-Online-competitions)
covid (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71666-Coronavirus-(COVID-19)-Wuhan-Pneumonia&p=1319421#post1319421)

GeneChing
10-23-2020, 02:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnCphviim-Q

https://secureservercdn.net/72.167.241.46/k5w.d28.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/SV-Open-Poster-Updated_1.jpg

2020 Silicon Valley Virtual Open (http://siliconvalleytkdopen.com/)
Tiger Claw (https://www.tigerclaw.com/home.php)Sponsored event

Threads
Tae-Kwon-Do (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)
Online competitions (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71905-Online-competitions)
covid (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71666-Coronavirus-(COVID-19)-Wuhan-Pneumonia)

GeneChing
04-08-2021, 09:16 AM
Eight months pregnant athlete clinches Taekwondo gold medal (https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/07/africa/nigeria-eight-months-pregnant-athlete-taekwondo-intl/index.html)
By Nimi Princewill, CNN

Updated 6:21 AM ET, Thu April 8, 2021
https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/210407114451-aminat-idrees-restricted-exlarge-169.jpg.
Nigerian taekwondo athlete, Aminat Idrees.
(CNN)A visibly pregnant Nigerian athlete has clinched a gold medal at the ongoing National Sports Festival, securing gold in the multi-sport event, which happens every two years in the country.

Aminat Idrees, 26, who is eight months pregnant, won in the Mixed Poomsae category in Taekwondo, organizers said Monday, describing her achievements as "inspiring."
Idrees, who could be seen in a footage shared on Twitter demonstrating different combat techniques, also picked up other medals in a non-combat simulated category of Taekwondo known as Poomsae.
Idrees told CNN Wednesday that she feels elated by her accomplishment at the event which took place in Edo State.

Posted here: Tae-Kwon-Do (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)

Slightly OT here but it's our most relevant 'pregnant' thread: back-exercises-for-a-pregnant-mrs-buddha (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?38192-back-exercises-for-a-pregnant-mrs-buddha)

GeneChing
06-18-2021, 09:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_V6PTcCQCc

threads
America-s-Got-Talent (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?63735-America-s-Got-Talent)

GeneChing
07-13-2021, 09:45 AM
fencing (https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule/sport/fencing)
archery (https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule/sport/archery)
boxing (https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule/sport/boxing)
wrestling (https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule/sport/wrestling)
judo (https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule/sport/judo)
taekwondo (https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule/sport/taekwondo)
karate (https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule/sport/karate)

threads
Fencing (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?9851-Fencing)
Archery (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?66419-Archery)
Boxing (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?54079-Boxing)
Wrestling (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?58216-Wrestling)
Judo (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42938-Judo)
Karate (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?10141-Karate)
Tokyo Olympics (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?64475-Tokyo-Olympics)

GeneChing
07-16-2021, 07:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch1YOuMghQY

GeneChing
07-26-2021, 08:41 AM
18-year-old becomes first US woman to win gold in taekwondo (https://thehill.com/policy/international/asia-pacific/564760-18-year-old-becomes-first-us-woman-to-win-gold-in-taekwondo)
BY OLAFIMIHAN OSHIN - 07/25/21 06:48 PM EDT 277

https://thehill.com/sites/default/files/styles/thumb_small_article/public/article_images/tokyoolympics.jpeg?itok=tXs3psEc
Anastasija Zolotic on Sunday became the first U.S. woman to win a gold medal in taekwondo, Yahoo Sports reported on Sunday.

Zolotic, 18, defeated Tatiana Minina of the Russian Olympic Committee 25-17 in the women’s 57-kg final at the Tokyo Olympics, in a competitive three-round bout. Entering the final round with a one-point lead, Zolotic gained seven more points to beat the fifth-ranked taekwondo fighter in the world.

Zolotic defeated Morocco’s Nada Laaraj, Turkey’s Hatice Kubra Ilgun and Chinese Taipei’s Lo Chia-ling en route to her gold medal match, according to Yahoo Sports.

Zolotic is the fourth Team USA athlete to win gold in Japan, joining swimmer Chase Kalisz, shooter Will Shaner and fencer Lee Kiefer.

Zolotic was the fourth American to reach the taekwondo final match, with former team USA athlete Steven Lopez holding two gold medals from the event, Yahoo Sports noted.

threads
Tokyo Olympics (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?64475-Tokyo-Olympics)

GeneChing
07-28-2021, 09:25 AM
OLYMPIC GAMES IN TOKYO27 JUL, 08:57 Updated at: 27 Jul, 10:37
Putin says Russia’s taekwondo Olympic victory shows martial arts on the rise in Russia (https://tass.com/sport/1318337)
The Russian President thanked coaches and mentors of the athlete, specialists of the national team and everyone who supported Vladislav Larin on his path to the gold medal

MOSCOW, July 27. /TASS/. Russian President Vladimir Putin has congratulated Vladislav Larin for his Tokyo Olympic victory in the taekwondo men’s +80 kg event, the Kremlin published the telegram on its website on Tuesday.

"Your success is a clear example that martial arts are on the rise in Russia, while the Russian taekwondo school trains worthy fighters who can face up to the most serious challenges," the telegram reads.

Putin thanked coaches and mentors of the athlete, specialists of the national team and everyone who supported Larin on his path to the gold medal.

On Tuesday, Larin defeated North Macedonia’s Dejan Georgievski in the final of the +80 kg tournament at the Tokyo Olympics. Russia’s taekwondo athletes have already won four medals at the Olympics, two golds, one silver and one bronze. Larin’s victory came after Maksim Khramtcov became the first Olympic taekwondo champion in Russia on Monday in the men’s 80 kg category. Moreover, Tatiana Minina fought her way to the silver medal (women’s 57 kg), while Mikhail Artamonov won bronze (men’s 58 kg).

threads

GeneChing
08-02-2021, 09:39 AM
Read my latest feature for YMAA: Olympic Karate: A New Martial Art Enters the Ring (https://ymaa.com/articles/2021/08/olympic-karate-a-new-martial-art-enters-the-ring)

https://ymaa.com/sites/default/files/images/article/articles-20210802-olympic-karate.jpg

threads
Karate (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?10141-Karate)
Judo (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42938-Judo)
Olympic-Wushu (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?61109-Olympic-Wushu)

GeneChing
10-02-2021, 10:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYZOQooAaxk

GeneChing
11-22-2021, 11:18 AM
Trump is awarded an honorary black belt by South Korean president of taekwondo - and pledges to wear the full martial arts suit in U.S. Congress if he makes it back to the White House (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10226435/Trump-awarded-honorary-black-belt-South-Korean-president-martial-arts-organization.html)
Donald Trump has been awarded an honorary ninth Dan Black belt
The president of World Taekwondo Headquarters, Lee Dong-seop, visited Trump at his Mar-a-lago mansion in South Florida
Trump put on a taekwondo outfit known as a dobok and posed for photos
Significant photographs from moments of his presidency could be seen on wall
On Friday, Trump congratulated Kyle Rittenhouse on his acquittal
A Wisconsin jury found the teenager not guilty on five counts
'If that's not self defense, nothing is,' said the former president
By JAMES GORDON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 21:07 EST, 21 November 2021 | UPDATED: 11:30 EST, 22 November 2021

Kukkiwon, also known as World Taekwondo Headquarters, and home of the World Taekwondo Academy, has awarded former U.S. President Donald Trump a 9th Dan Black belt - the highest level attainable by professional martial artists.

The president of Kukkiwon, Lee Dong-seop, went to visit Trump at his home in Mar-a-lago in Palm Beach, Florida this weekend to give him a taekwondo and the coveted black belt.

'I heard that the Donald Trump is highly interested in taekwondo,' Lee said.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/11/22/01/50795619-10226435-image-m-35_1637543930873.jpg
Former President Donald Trump received an honorary black belt and certificate at Mar-A-Lago on Friday from Kukkiwon president Lee Dong-seop

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/11/22/01/50795621-10226435-image-a-36_1637543958862.jpg
Former President Donald Trump was pictured signing his autograph on a taekwondo outfit

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/11/22/01/50795625-10226435-image-a-37_1637543968273.jpg
Kukkiwon president Lee Dong-sup awarded the an Honorary 9th Dan Certificate to Trump

It's believed the visit was set up by a South Korean resident in the U.S.

Kyle Rittenhouse says he supports BLM movement and that his case had 'nothing to with race' as he slams 'prosecutorial misconduct' during his Kenosha trial: Pictured in suit and tie in Florida on eve of interview with Tucker Carlson , and other top stories from November 22, 2021.

'It is my pleasure and honor to receive this honorary certificate. Taekwondo is a great martial art for protecting oneself in these times,' Trump said.

The former president vowed that he would look to wear the taekwondo clothing in Congress should he make a return to the White House in the future.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/11/22/01/50795615-10226435-image-a-38_1637543988819.jpg
Other members of the Kukkiwon organization that represents taekwondo were all present

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/11/22/01/50795583-10226435-image-a-39_1637543994986.jpg
'It is my honor to receive the Honorary Dan Certificate and I think taekwondo is magnificent martial art for self-defense,' Trump is said to have responded in a statement

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/11/22/14/50798043-10226435-Trump_s_awarding_at_a_ninth_Dan_means_he_shares_th e_same_rank_as-a-7_1637591506943.jpg
Trump's awarding at a ninth Dan means he shares the same rank as Russian president Vladimir Putin who was presented with a black belt and made a grandmaster of taekwondo in 2013

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/11/22/02/50798039-10226435-image-a-65_1637546930994.jpg
Russia's President Vladimir Putin during a training session with the Russian national judo team at the Yug-Sport Training Center in 2019

Putin takes part in training session with Russian judo champions

Half a dozen photos could also be seen on the wall of Trump's Florida mansion including one of him shaking hands with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at Panmunjom as the pair met at the border in the Demilitarized Zone in June 2019.

Earlier that month, another picture showed him meeting the Queen in early June of the same year.

Also from that visit, a framed photo sees Trump and former First Lady Melania Trump pictured walking to greet the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall in London. The First Lady can be seen in a bright flowing orange dress.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/11/22/01/50796347-10226435-image-a-47_1637544570431.jpg
President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un shake hands as they meet at the border in the Demilitarized Zone in Panmunjom, South Korea

Donald Trump and Kim Jong-Un shake hands in Hanoi

Another photo sees Trump, saluting a U.S. Coast Guard Change-of-Command Ceremony at the Coast Guard headquarters in Washington, D.C. in 2018.

In another serious photo, Trump and Melania can be seen at the front door to the White House as they prepared to welcome the Colombian President and his wife in February 2019.

Central to the selection of iconic pictures is one of Trump waving as he boarded the presidential aircraft Air Force One which happened countless times during the course of his presidency.

An imitation sculpture of the iconic Mount Rushmore was could be spotted with the addition of Trump's head blended into the topography.

Trump's awarding at a ninth Dan means he shares the same rank as Russian president Vladimir Putin who was presented with a black belt and made a grandmaster of taekwondo during an official visit to South Korea in 2013.

Despite not actually practicing taekwondo himself, Putin also managed to achieve the coveted rank.

On Friday night, Trump congratulated Kyle Rittenhouse after the teenager was found not guilty of murder in the fatal shooting of two men in racial justice protests.

The verdict divided America. As the left denounced the outcome as a miscarriage of justice, the right said Rittenhouse never should have been put on trial.

'Congratulations to Kyle Rittenhouse for being found INNOCENT of all charges,' said Trump in an emailed statement.

'It's called being found NOT GUILTY—And by the way, if that's not self defense, nothing is!'

A fundraising appeal followed.

'This trial was nothing more than a WITCH HUNT from the Radical Left,' said an email to supporters, directing them to donate to the online WinRed platform.

'They want to PUNISH law-abiding citizens, including a CHILD, like Kyle Rittenhouse, for doing nothing more than following the LAW.'

Jurors found Rittenhouse, 18, not guilty on all charges: two counts of homicide, one count of attempted homicide for wounding a third man, and two counts of recklessly endangering safety in protests marred by arson, rioting and looting on August 25, 2020 in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

threads
Martial Arts Politicians (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?65916-Martial-Arts-Politicians)

YinOrYan
11-23-2021, 12:36 PM
Martial Arts Politicians

LOL Harvesting for kungfumagazine.com ads! Next thing you know they'll be carving a new face into Mount Rushmore:

GeneChing
01-11-2022, 10:44 AM
Published: 07 January 2022
Taekwondo improves primary school children’s self-regulation, finds study (https://www.surrey.ac.uk/news/taekwondo-improves-primary-school-childrens-self-regulation-finds-study)
Researchers found that primary school pupils who were taught Taekwondo improved their self-regulation and showed reduced signs of aggression towards others.
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/sites/default/files/styles/1200xauto/public/2022-01/Taekwondo.jpg?itok=dHZLroOw

The report, published in the journal Developmental Psychology, details how researchers from the University of Surrey studied 240 primary school students aged 7 – 11 years across a period of 11 weeks.

Self-regulation describes an individuals’ ability to manage and alter their emotions, behaviour and cognition. Good self-regulation is associated with positive mental health benefits and higher academic achievement in children.

The trial studied children across four year groups (school Years 3 to 6), with two classes per year group (eight classes in total). Half of the children within each class were randomly allocated to the Taekwondo experimental trial group and the other half to the control group. The experimental group received two 45-minute Taekwondo classes per week, and the control group received two 45-minute PE classes per week during the same trial period.

Baseline data was collected from children the week before the classes started and after they finished, 11 weeks after initial data collection. Data included questionnaires to assess what children thought about the lessons and how much importance they placed on behaviours related to good self-control; questionnaires completed by teachers assessing children’s self-regulation at school; and, computer tasks assessing a range of mental processes called executive functions that enable self-regulation.

After the classes had ended, children in the Taekwondo experimental group were rated by teachers as having better attentional capacity than those who had regular PE classes as well as having better executive attention assessed by a Flanker Task, where the participant has to correctly identify the direction of an on-screen stimuli while ignoring competing stimuli surrounding it.

The results indicate that short standard Taekwondo courses were well-received by pupils and led to higher levels of value placed on self-control. The study also found that the classes improved the children’s self-regulation and reduced symptoms of conduct disorders.

Dr Terry Ng-Knight, Lecturer in Psychology at University of Surrey’s School of Psychology, said:

“A large body of research suggests that there are substantial personal and public benefits to improving children’s self-control, however, research is less clear on how to achieve this in practical terms. Our findings suggest that including traditional martial arts in schools could both teach children the value of self-control and increase their use of self-regulation. Traditional martial arts are popular extra-curricular activities for many children, however their use in schools appears to be quite limited at present.”
How reaffirming.

GeneChing
03-01-2022, 06:58 PM
Putin is no longer a Taekwondo 9th Dan, Nor a honorary president for the international Judo Federation (https://www.tkdkwan.com/2022/02/putin-is-no-longer-taekwondo-9th-dan.html)
11:06:00 AM Tkd kwan 0 Comments

Few months ago we have posted about personalities whom were awarded by Taekwondo black belts, and some of them even got very high ranks such the Russian president who was awarded the 9th Dan Taekwondo black belt by the World taekwondo president.

The Russian president was awarded the black belt by the head of the World Taekwondo Federation, Choue Chung-won, and made a grandmaster of Taekwondo during a visit to South Korea in November 2013.

After nine years, The act that Putin did caused a lot to his image, and he is no longer a 9th Dan belt.

In response to his invasion of Ukraine, Vladimir Putin has been stripped of his honorary black belt in Taekwondo.

This is not the only thing that happened to the Russian leader, Another martial art federation took an action.

'' Vladimir Putin has temporarily been suspended as the International Judo Federation’s honorary president on Sunday. The federation sited “the ongoing war conflict in Ukraine” as the reason for the suspension, per the Associated Press. ''

Sunday marks the fourth day since Russia has invaded Ukraine. Putin has a keen judoka and attended a competition at the 2012 London Olympics.

''World Taekwondo strongly condemns the brutal attacks on innocent lives in Ukraine, which go against the World Taekwondo vision of “Peace is More Precious than Triumph” and the World Taekwondo values of respect and tolerance.

In this regard, World Taekwondo has decided to withdraw the honorary 9th Dan black belt conferred to Mr. Vladimir Putin in November 2013.

In solidarity with the International Olympic Committee, no Russian or Belarusian national flags or anthems will be displayed or played at World Taekwondo events. World Taekwondo and the European Taekwondo Union will not organize or recognize Taekwondo events in Russia and Belarus.

World Taekwondo’s thoughts are with the people of Ukraine and we hope for a peaceful and immediate end to this war.''

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/a/AVvXsEhCtrI-lyqxzvrIitLFGXBnCT9NcFIzV0ck2LF-zJDhl-TjVkbO8x7iUy-17YTS6XICTcyA2vAgctE7lrnBUD82N-7DJxvl00RH0s31c6Zuyq894zcZks5vEk1Iwh4WmgqJhcJqoC09 _Ts4dkABfdgS3zgjaeJiti18I0eOol9katN-0CYntUKQ2L9T=s320

threads
Tae-Kwon-Do (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)
Martial-Arts-Politicians (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?65916-Martial-Arts-Politicians)
Ukraine (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72272-Ukraine)

GeneChing
04-18-2023, 07:36 AM
The Taekwondo 68 Nun (https://www.tkdkwan.com/2023/04/the-taekwondo-68-nun.html)
1:46:00 PM

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh4LaS3RWBSEplULlMC_IlPLkfB6TBrif1VMsRohrmO4Y lvWYo_LDCmXmXWxlrA2AE2xPu8EbeEQ-_FMgS5gkHy-Ba2389wSb6JXVYOXXuf4vB-ErS64XpTgJF8JKsQEuvXF02y877x1LKzAcqFXvvm7B9QcSi0qy 34xPu12j3TQDFdP08ECr1tjuOR/s320/linda.jpg
Calm, serene and noble, this is how we can imagine nuns and sisters in general. This is applicable on our article guest today, except that the sister Linda Sim who is 68 years old is a martial artist and specifically practicing Taekwondo and holding the black belt the 5th Dan in the Korean martial art. The nun Linda started competing in Kyorugi in 1978 and got a bonze medal, and she said that she was beaten very hard at the time, while there was not much protection gears as we can see today.

More than that the sister Linda competed at the World Taekwondo Poomsae championships held in Russia 2011 and won the gold medal in her division.

The Nun Linda practiced Taekwondo for 52 years since 1971, and never gave up even if she had challenges and no support, and now we can see an amazing champion in Taekwondo.

We do believe that Taekwondo is for everyone, it does not matter where you come from or what you do, Taekwondo is uniting us.

Here are few videos of the nun Linda during the world championships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeDEMTmzF6U

Tae-Kwon-Do (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)
Give-it-up-to-the-elderly!!!!! (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?57037-Give-it-up-to-the-elderly!!!!!)

GeneChing
07-05-2023, 06:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcfxjtdtKQg

GeneChing
10-02-2023, 09:50 AM
Asian Games 2023: Chinese fans fume over South Korean ‘provocation’ in taekwondo final (https://www.scmp.com/sport/china/article/3236266/asian-games-2023-chinese-fans-fume-over-south-korean-athletes-aggression-and-provocation-taekwondo)

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/1200x800/public/d8/images/canvas/2023/09/29/3e9e1800-cb12-4bb2-adff-3a39f7e3eb7e_feceddd1.jpg?itok=ldnUN6ca&v=1695973414
Video goes viral on social media showing South Korean athletes in mixed taekwondo team final seemingly provoking Chinese opponents
South Korean tennis star Kwon Soon-woo apologises after smashing racket and for refusing to shake hands with Thai opponent in Hangzhou
Kathryn Giordano

Published: 3:43pm, 29 Sep, 2023

Chinese fans reacted angrily on social media to a third unsavoury Asian Games incident featuring South Korean athletes, after an aggressive end to the taekwondo mixed team final.

Tensions soared in the gold medal match on September 25, with a post on Weibo, China’s Twitter-like platform, saying Chinese athletes were “provoked three times” by their opponents.

The accompanying video went viral on Thursday. It showed a South Korean athlete seemingly egging on his Chinese opponent and indicating he approach him.

In another clip, a South Korean athlete appeared to lightly shove a Chinese athlete as he approached him.

The referee, in an attempt to de-escalate the situation, tried to stop the two competitors, and even slightly held back the South Korean.

Once again, Chinese sports fans took out their frustration by posting on Weibo, with one fan writing: “How on earth did they manage to be so offensive?”

“Koreans are here to compete or to be embarrassed and conspicuous,” another wrote. “They throw rackets, refuse to shake hands, bite people, slap opponents.”

The final happened on the same day that South Korea’s Kwon Soon-woo destroyed his tennis racket and refused to shake hands after losing to Samrej Kasidit of Thailand. Kwon has =apologised for his reaction in a post on Instagram.

“I did something reckless that I should not have done as a national team player,” Kwon wrote. “I sincerely apologise to all the people who supported the national team’s game and to the crowd at the stadium … I sincerely regret and reflect on the actions that were seen after the match.”

The day before, South Korean judoka Lee Hye-kyeong was disqualified in the women’s 48kg semi-finals for slapping her opponent, Abiba Abuzhakynova of Kazakhstan, across the face.

In each instance, Chinese sports fans complained about the South Korean athletes’ behaviour on social media.

China ultimately won the mixed team taekwondo gold medal, triumphing 84-77 in the final, with South Korea taking silver.

Asian-Games (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?58907-Asian-Games)