PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Dummy

Panther
07-03-2001, 06:38 AM
I am wondering is there any recommended type of equipment that a person can buy to practice techniques at home with, I know that the wooden dummy does wonders for the Norhern systems but what about the Internal systems?
I am talking about something to practice techniques on?
If there is where could a person buy this at and about how much would it cost?

Kaitain(UK)
07-03-2001, 01:08 PM
It's pretty good for working your energies on and getting used to spiralling forwards as opposed to across

However, unless you can get someone who does Wing Chun to show you how they train on it you might miss some of the nuances it has (I certainly did).

It's an expensive training aid and cannot replace a willing partner - but it's a lot better than nothing.

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

Sam Wiley
07-03-2001, 03:57 PM
Panther,
Although I personally prefer two person training like Push Hands, etc, there is a wooden dummy form in the style of Bagua I practice. I don't have one myself, mostly because the thing is absolutely huge and I have no place to keep it, but Erle Montaigue really likes the form and practices it often. You can't buy one of them anywhere, but you can make one. If you are interested, you could e-mail Erle and ask him for the spec's for the dummy.

"I put forth my power and he was broken.
I withdrew my power and he was ground into fine dust."
-Aleister Crowley, The Vision and the Voice

Stranger
07-03-2001, 04:08 PM
I think you can download clips of Erle Montaigue working with the Bagwa wooden dummy at his website. He also has clips of him working with it on his free demo CD you can get at his site. It is a really big piece of equipment, but it would definitely be cool for a backyard.

"Luminous beings are we."