PDA

View Full Version : A Choy Lee Fut tribute

hskwarrior
08-27-2006, 11:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjA42yO9gBE

Check this out, folks tell me what you think.

this is the first time i put a movie clip like this together, and the clf brothers like it.

give it a few minutes though, i just uploaded it onto youtube.....

sorry about the music, i will re do it, but the song cut short.

Eddie
08-28-2006, 12:03 AM
the video was removed by the user. is there an alternitive link?

CHAZ
08-28-2006, 05:39 AM
Hey Frank,
What happened to the video, I watched it earlier on, it was very good. I liked the old clips of Master Jew Leong.

hskwarrior
08-28-2006, 07:10 AM
For some reason I didn't like it because the music cut out half way so i took it down and tried to re-do it. but for someone reason it won't let me.

Give me some time, i will get it going soon.

but chaz, thanks for that comment.

hskwarrior
08-28-2006, 12:11 PM
here it is.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-3-9nzFOss

shuaichiao
08-28-2006, 01:18 PM
I would have liked the version where the song cut out early better:D Some cool vids though.

hskwarrior
08-28-2006, 01:31 PM
i liked the other version as well, and will try and post up another one.

I was totally bummed out over this cause the first one was way better.

but i am working on it.

peace.

chasincharpchui
08-28-2006, 04:47 PM
nice work frank

i love seeing the general's techniques
whoeva says hung kune is the best has obviously neva witnessed the generals lethal shaolin pantherfists.

the last bit with all the young guys was hella wrong tho
lol onli 1 of them was buk sing he's wearin k-swiss classics, doing a version of jeet fu kune, which we call huk pau fook fu kune(black panther subdues the tiger) way better than the original lol.
the others were hung sing choy lay fut for europe or something

otherwise good job

yutyeesam
08-28-2006, 05:42 PM
HSK this really rocks! Would you ever consider making a video documentary of CLF?
If anyone could do it, it'd be you.

DoPi
08-28-2006, 06:03 PM
pac is the best and the vids were awesome 2 great tribute to the best style. I like the old school vids and the begining the little kids got some skill. Very well done

Eric Ling
08-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Congratulations.

Exactly what we need in CKF; more unifying and less dividing efforts.

And in my humble opinion, YOU, the person, are the best Kung Fu.

Again my compliments to you and your CLF family.

Regards.

hskwarrior
08-29-2006, 06:48 AM
Well, I wanted to tighten up the clips, so i re-did the video and added a few different things, but tell me if you guys think i should get rid of the first one and keep this one, or should i just keep up both?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTSzokEtJS0

shuaichiao
08-29-2006, 07:28 AM
I still want the one where the music cuts out!!!

Wait a minute, I can just turn the sound down. In that case good job on the vids.

Does Choy Lee Fut really have an Umbrella form? I've never seen it before.

hskwarrior
08-29-2006, 07:32 AM
yeah CLF has a few umbrella forms.

The one umbrella form is performed by the Singapore Hung Sing Kwoon.

But thanks for the support. I got rid of the one where the music cuts off, sorry.

Was it the song you liked? My student was part of a group called "Mukrunners" and that's where the track came from. I liked the song too.

did you like the other clip more cause of the song?

but thanks again.

shuaichiao
08-29-2006, 08:10 AM
did you like the other clip more cause of the song?

Mostly just joking around. I hate rap/hip hop so I said I liked the one where the music cut out because there was no song. The vids are cool though.

Eddie
08-29-2006, 08:35 AM
very cool video, but I agree, the hip hop can get a bit much. That video could look nice with some drum music, like the ones in crouching tiger and hero.

Thanks for the video :cool:

hskwarrior
08-29-2006, 08:57 AM
sorry folks,

but I love my hip hop, and I can't really feel anything else.

And eddie, "Everyone" is using what you are suggesting. I am the type that loves to stay away from "trend".

but eddie & YutYeeSam.......

I am working on the initial stages of something called "Sifu's Kitchen" which will be a few webisodes of interviews, gung fu demonstrations, and an impromptu demonstration of skills un rehearsed at the end to show the outside world of gung fu how gung fu works.

Are you and YutYeeSam willing to be on one of the webisodes?

hsk

Eddie
08-29-2006, 09:12 AM
wow, a movie offer? :cool: ;) You should get CLFNole on there. Trust me on this one, I think he should start getting more known.

the music is cool, I'm just not used to hip hop.

hskwarrior
08-29-2006, 09:15 AM
I would bring in CLFNole on this but he doesn't like me.:rolleyes:

See, you didn't answer me Eddie. You own a school and have your own students. I am trying to focus on people who are running schools for now.

I'd understand if you don't want to participate.:(

hsk

Eddie
08-29-2006, 09:21 AM
I'd be honoured. Let me know what you want.

I'll have a look to see what video footage we have, but I have a new video camera which Im learning to use now ;)

hskwarrior
08-29-2006, 09:38 AM
Eddie,

this is how it would go down........

after the introduction to the show, i would announce that tonights special guest would Sifu Eduann of the South African Choy Lee Fut school. Sifu Eduann has been......blah blah blah.....and blah blah blah...........

Then maybe we could highlight a set, some applications to the set, then I would end with........"Sifu Eduann, this is the scenario......you are surrounded by 3 attackers intending to rob you.......how would you handle this situation?"

From that point on, it would all be freestyle to demonstrate that choy lee fut is a part of your soul, and not just in the school. the three attackers would then proceed to attack with no pre-arranged moves, and you would show the world why choy lee fut as you know it is the greatest.

see what i mean?

hsk

iron_silk
08-29-2006, 10:16 AM
wow...

Frank that sounds very cool....good luck you guys!

Eddie
08-29-2006, 11:07 AM
ok cool, email me the details. As I am part of an Association, I'd need to clear and check everything with Master Li first tho. :cool: But as I said, and I'm obviously biast here, but no CLF video would be complete without CLFNole and Sow Chow Joe ;) .
Man!
I just want to brag with those two :D . Just a very proud kung fu brother, thats all.

hskwarrior
08-29-2006, 11:48 AM
eddie,

I do Plan on Highlighting Mr Handsome Joe Keit and his skills, and if CLF Nole wants to participate he's welcome. See, I am doing this with all CLF teachers. I will be going from school to school and highlighting each school and their skills.

I plan on doing this with such masters as Dave lacey, Li Siu Hung, CHui Kwong Yuen, even doc fai wong.

But this is still in the works.

hsk

CLFNole
08-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Frank:

Don't know where you get I don't like you. I might not agree with what you say from time to time but I like you and admire your passion.

I got nothing but love for my CLF bros.

hskwarrior
08-29-2006, 05:57 PM
Here is the full Cheung Kuen, and I will be taking down the half done versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYhJX0p3jKA

**give it a few minutes to upload correctly*****
Give me you're opinons, but remember, this is just in my living room, not a performance.

peace

CLFNole
08-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Its interesting, different of course from what I am used to but CLF nonetheless. It looks like the form focuses on hand techniques. There didn't seem to be as much emphasis on different stances although it could just be because you were doing it in a confined area.

Does this form have any connection with che kuen? Also is this different or close to Lau Bun's version?

hskwarrior
08-29-2006, 06:19 PM
yeah it's more because i was in a confined area, I even had to move my couch a good distance and still had no room to move. But the idea is to give a glimpse into professor Lau Bun's gung fu.

The Fut San Che Kuen and Prof. Lau's CHeung Kuen are very much similar. before Che Kuen, the most basic form we taught was this Cheung Kuen. It's real long for a beginner form. and a little more intericate than Che Kuen, but the hands are pretty good in the set.

hsk

CLFNole
08-29-2006, 06:30 PM
I would be interested to see the similarities between our che kuen sets.

Yeah that is definately a long beginner set. We have li ma (ng lun ma) which is very long but was never really taught in the US by sifu becuase he thought people would lose interest and get bored.

hskwarrior
08-29-2006, 08:05 PM
CLfnole,

This one is our Che Kuen, do you see any similarities between ours and the one you were talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ4d7p5JTY0

hskwarrior
08-29-2006, 08:08 PM
In the set (cheung Kuen) there is one horse stance i don't see in other branches..... It's sorta like the din gee ma and the a kneeling horse.

it's like this.....din gee ma then kneel down with knee pointing straight down at the floor.

anyone know what I mean.

CLFNole
08-29-2006, 08:44 PM
If that was your che kuen then no there aren't any similarities and two completely different sets. My guess is ours in more from the Chan Family as out li ma/ng lun ma is almost exactly the same as there's. I think our che kuen is the same as ng lun choy.

hskwarrior
08-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I was told that the majority of what Lee Koon Hung learned was chan family CLF, but i guess he also taught some Fut San HSK type sets as well, that's evident in your "L" pattern Hoi Jongs.

I've never really seen chan family che kuen, so i couldn't compare it.

hsk

CLFNole
08-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Honestly going over it we think nearly all of our stuff is more or less Chan Family stuff or at least Chan Koon Pak's Hung Sing, which is the same.

Of the stuff I have seen from Fut San and Buk Sing I can't think of many sets we have that are from this line. Maybe fu-pow kuen possibly but not sure. In any event the way we do our sets is how you can tell.

hskwarrior
08-29-2006, 09:08 PM
you know after creating that Sam Sing Yat Ga video Clip, I began to notice one major difference with the Chan Family branch, and the Hung SIng branch.

what i mean is the chan family seems to hit you with a barrage of techinques while the Hung Sing branch works at those One Hitter Quitters.

But, each has its own merrits.

CLFNole
08-29-2006, 09:13 PM
That might be true but it could also just be how the sets were put together. Our sets definately have the barrage aspect but when you break the movements down they are smaller techniques in what is seen in a form as a "barrage". However I was always taught that one of CLFs trademarks was a blitz of attacks coming from various angles, etc...

hskwarrior
08-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Yeah, the barrage thing is correct when it comes to fighting, i just never looked at it that way when it came to sets. that's why i feel the sets with less barrage of techniques are the older ones, while the newer generations kept adding just a bit more.

But it does make a set look nice.

CLFNole
08-29-2006, 09:30 PM
I am not sure about older or new, I think its just different ideas from the different branches.

iron_silk
08-30-2006, 09:04 AM
I know you didn't ask me Frank but actually after watching your student's Che Kuen (aka Ng Lun Choy) I do see a very vague but basic structure that is similar to our Che Kuen in terms of the general techinques and pattern.

Though my version goes much more repetitive and more distinctively separate techniques, and much longer.

I do believe my lineage is fairly more towards the Chan Family. That's why when I look at Lee Koon Hung's Che Kuen I thought it was more towards Hung Sing...I could be wrong.

Thought I would just share my thoughts. By the way I saw your vid...very nice...keep them coming I think everyone gets a kick out of them. Especially those old footages...those are absolutely priceless. Thank you for sharing...I can't wait to see more.

CLFNole
08-30-2006, 12:00 PM
iron_silk:

If what you refer to as LKH's che keun being the form shown in the fan book then that is not the real form. IT is a shortened version with some different things that were added. The form was taught at the university in Hong Kong.

The actual set is longer and different from the book.

iron_silk
08-30-2006, 03:51 PM
iron_silk:

If what you refer to as LKH's che keun being the form shown in the fan book then that is not the real form. IT is a shortened version with some different things that were added. The form was taught at the university in Hong Kong.

The actual set is longer and different from the book.

Oh thanks for the info...it would be nice to see a full version of it

chasincharpchui
08-30-2006, 06:32 PM
frank the buk sing section with the young guys is wrong

the clip u got it from was from a buk sing celebration but the white guys in it were from a hung sing school, only 1 guy was doing buk sing, the guy wearing kswiss classics, dark skin, shaved head

please fix it....it pains me to see those guys included in buk sing section

CLFNole
08-30-2006, 07:53 PM
The other guys are students of Edmund Ng of England. If I recall correctly they are from the Fong Yuk Shu or Ho Ngau lineage and would thus be Chan Family.

hskwarrior
08-31-2006, 06:57 AM
ChasinCharp....

I apologize for including "Non" Buk Sing folks, I really thought by their movement they were closer to the Buk Sing lineage than Chan Family. The emphasis is really buk sing i mean.

However, I will make another one soon, this was just my first attempts at putting together clips, and I'm having fun at it.

So, does anyone have more clips on Buk Sing CLF from their own schools that I may include in the next project? If so, can you send me a clip at :

sifufrank@gmail.com

I would love to include them and honor the Buk Sing lineage properly.

chasincharpchui
08-31-2006, 04:21 PM
well the clip u got it from was tarm sarms memorial dinner in guangzhou, and the person(stupid) that uploaded the clip in the first place called it buk sing, cept only 1 person was buk sing, hope u include that person in the new clip tho, he's crazy, doin the jeet fu kune at the end, well our version anyway lol.

hmmm, im not home right now so i wont be able to upload, maybe k-no mite have some clips or something. there were a fair few buk sing guys at the singapore celebration that u got on video. theres was 1 particular white guy from 'the generals' buk sing school that did a really good form, strong, sharp, and with intent. i think it was a combination of either sup ji ping kune, or ping kune kow da.

hskwarrior
08-31-2006, 04:44 PM
In this Sam Sing Yat Ga Vol. 2, I put on some Fut San Hung Sing sifu's, one is my sihing, and the buk sing stuff is from other stuff i have.

I hope ya'll like this one as well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMaVncqefps

k-no
08-31-2006, 04:57 PM
I gotta see what I have here in my VCR.

Yeah, I said my VCR. I am pretty low tech when it comes to cameras! I promise to buy a Mini DV soon! (SonyStyle is having a sale!)

I'll be seeing Sifu tomorrow and will hit him up for more video. I do have one from like 4 or 5 years ago when he went to Melbourne, but I think he wants me to save that for when we decide to upload video to the website.

chasincharpchui, regards to your sifu. Looking forward to you guys being able to come down and hang out!

k

hskwarrior
08-31-2006, 05:00 PM
Kid (k-no)

what's up dude?

what did you think of the clips?

what you been up to?

hsk

taaigihk
08-31-2006, 05:04 PM
Nice clip!

BTW could you tell me who is this man wearing green, that shows up around 0:40 for few seconds, and what form is he doing?

hskwarrior
08-31-2006, 05:07 PM
The man wearing green is Chan Kin Man........

the form he is doing I'm not sure......

Peace.....

k-no
08-31-2006, 05:08 PM
Frank, my man, I should ask you the same thing. Wzup with your phone, homeboy or do I have the right #?

I've just been working really hard and getting back into training when I can. My leg is feeling better and better bro. No super low stances for a while, but I'm just back into light bag training and I think in a few months I'm ready to kickf___k someone's skull LOL.

I'm going to catch up on a lot of work this weekend while everyone is travelling. We should make some time to kick it though. You know my # bro, get at me tomorrow or Saturday if you can. Let's talk about "your kitchen" haha...

one!

k

taaigihk
08-31-2006, 05:19 PM
The man wearing green is Chan Kin Man........

the form he is doing I'm not sure......

Peace.....

Thanks for the info.

Key
09-03-2006, 10:31 AM
frank, is there any way I could download this?

hskwarrior
09-03-2006, 11:03 AM
key,

you should have a favorites section on your computer right?

On mine i just right click the link and save it to my favorites on my personal comp.

Hope you liked it.:)

frank

hskwarrior
09-03-2006, 11:12 AM
i can also see if i can save it to disk and send you out one.

Green Cloud
09-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Nice clip Frank

hskwarrior
09-05-2006, 06:45 AM
hey gus,

thanks bro.

here is another little clip that i posted not too long ago.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM26rpjgbX8

hope ya'll like it, my favorite it the star wars music.;)

hskwarrior
09-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Here is another tribute clip......

this time i posted one on the Hung Sing Kwoon.....

hope you likehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH9YoDhh7RU