PDA

View Full Version : Judo

frosh2786
03-22-2001, 01:29 AM
someone told me that judo would be a good complement for my aikido, and that i could beat wrestlers up with it...any thoughts? how physically demanding is it? thanks

Martial Joe
03-22-2001, 01:32 AM
I personlay dont know but that is kinda dumb how you said that you could beat wrestlers up..what if if its a good wrestler or a bad wrestler.It al depends on the person for every style.

frosh2786
03-22-2001, 02:24 AM
well someone told me judo grappling stuff is alot better fr submission figting then wrestling is. nad it would be alot easier to beat a wrestler. plus the guys at school arent that good...and i dont literally mean beat htem up i mean like just grapple a little.

Matt-le-kat
03-22-2001, 02:42 AM
If you're after submissions, i think sambo is quite good

Nothing is to be feared, only understood....

03-22-2001, 04:53 AM
Judo? Wrestling will help you out alot for the takedowns. But you will be able to learn all the wrestling takedowns at a BJJ school. Double legs, single legs. Scoop and dump on them on their head. You can learn the defenses against being dumped on your head.

Generally, judo guys have poor ground fighting skills.

YoungForest
03-22-2001, 05:48 AM
Judo is amazing. I take Judo and it is amazing. It builds a good grip in your hands and arm strength. Not to mention an upper body strength. You will learn to throw and boy do you throw!
You will learn how to break falls, do A LOT of submission (not joint locks) and learning to take your opponenet to the ground. It builds up good reflexes, coordination and timing...excellent timing!

I recommand everyone to take Judo.

jutsow
03-22-2001, 06:00 AM
hey, i have an idea. why dont you take your japanese ma question to a JMA forum and stop wasting my time. o.k. honey.
thanks

frosh2786
03-22-2001, 06:03 AM
...you just called someone honey...

frosh2786
03-22-2001, 06:05 AM
any by the way the TITLE of the post was JUDO....if you dont know thats japanese do some research other wise, you wasted your own time clickin on it...thats really rude and ignorant. please refrain from replying to this thread.

Budokan
03-22-2001, 06:06 AM
Blow it out your a$$, jutsow. This is an open forum and anybody can ask any question they want.

K. Mark Hoover

ope
03-22-2001, 06:12 AM
Frosh judo is a good complement to aikido although the training might be a little differnt aikido is more spiritual but the training is not that far differnt.. i say go for it.. infact mixen them would be a very good way to fight...

jutsow
03-22-2001, 06:22 AM
i quess that why its called KUNG FU online then huh. blow it out your own ass. or you could have your boy friend do it for you.

i would expect this from someone that studies ****okan.

chokeyouout
03-22-2001, 08:00 AM
Temper temper.The kid is confused about wich ma to take.Try and help, not hurt.

chokeyouout
03-22-2001, 08:02 AM
I almost forgot, find a flight of stairs and throw yourself down them.Free speech is a inalienable right.

KnightSabre
03-22-2001, 09:48 AM
Jutsow,don't be an idiot.This may be the kung fu forum but it's well known that all martial artists are welcome here.
Judo has some good takedowns and also builds excellent standing balance.From the way that it is taught or practiced it generally lacks great ground fighting skills.I've grappled a few judoka even a black belt and I generally dominated them quite easily.

bodhitree
08-28-2006, 07:25 AM
I'm going to start Judo soon (maybe this week). I'm excited, I had some limited shuai jiao before, but I feel Judo will contribute well to what I've been doing lately (submission wrestling).

here's a link to the place, may look like a mcdojo but my one friend seems to think its rather good

kimsjudotkd.com

naja
10-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Anyone on here practice Judo in the past or present?

Water Dragon
10-15-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm a San Kyu

sanjuro_ronin
10-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Shodan, with a side order of fries :D

unkokusai
10-15-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm a San Kyu

What are you thanking him for? He just asked a question!

naja
10-15-2008, 06:11 PM
I watched a judo class tonight, and am thinking of joining. Seems allot different than my kung fu classes though, and I'm a little hesitant. Very informal, and in a fitness center where everyone and their brother apparently goes to. Very strange feeling when you're used to practicing in a more private setting.

Do you guys think that cross training in judo has helped you as a martial artist?

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2008, 04:21 AM
I watched a judo class tonight, and am thinking of joining. Seems allot different than my kung fu classes though, and I'm a little hesitant. Very informal, and in a fitness center where everyone and their brother apparently goes to. Very strange feeling when you're used to practicing in a more private setting.

Do you guys think that cross training in judo has helped you as a martial artist?

Judo will teach you quite a bit about what goes on when someone grabs you, truly grabs you, with the intent to take you down.
And it will teach you balance in a way not typical of striking systems.
It will be a fine addition to your arsenal and allow you to understand how to deal with those kinds of attacks and how your fighting ability can be exploited by someone with judo training.
In short, its a win-win situation.

naja
10-16-2008, 05:29 AM
I guess I was a little taken back by the informal attitude of the class. I thought about it some more last night, and I think I'll give it a shot. One other thing that kinda had me worried was that it is a mcdojo. The classes are free, you just have to buy your GI and sign a waiver. I guess I figured if it was worth it, then it would cost at least something.... I'm gonna try it though and see how it goes.

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2008, 05:42 AM
If they are affliated with the Kodokan, the curriculum is standard and they should be going to regular competitions, after all, judo is a competitive sport, the whole point is to compete.
Its hard to be a "McDojo" in a competitive sport, unless you don't compete...
Unless of course they are teaching "combat judo" or something like that, in that case it should be more "rough and tumble" with lots of strikes also.

naja
10-16-2008, 05:52 AM
This is from their website at http://johnsoncityjudo.com/

"We are affiliated with USJI and a USJA Charter B club"

They have a "tournament and results" page, which lists future tourneys...

I talked to the instructor after class was over and he mentioned that sometimes he has to tone it down a little when he gets younger guys in there, because they tend to be a little too rough. I think he was saying that because he doesn't want it to be seen as a rough sport, since it is in such a public place.

mawali
10-16-2008, 06:19 AM
Judo is about as real an encounter that one has when engaging an actual opponent because in all, if not most instances, your 'enemy' will alway try to grab you.

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2008, 06:24 AM
This is from their website at http://johnsoncityjudo.com/

"We are affiliated with USJI and a USJA Charter B club"

They have a "tournament and results" page, which lists future tourneys...

I talked to the instructor after class was over and he mentioned that sometimes he has to tone it down a little when he gets younger guys in there, because they tend to be a little too rough. I think he was saying that because he doesn't want it to be seen as a rough sport, since it is in such a public place.

Looks perfectly fine.
Remember, judo, like any MA, gives you what you put into it.

naja
10-16-2008, 06:37 AM
I think it's mostly culture shock for me. The idea of practicing in front of 200 strangers is a little unsettling for me, I'm a pretty private person.

I'll get used to it though.

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2008, 06:49 AM
I think it's mostly culture shock for me. The idea of practicing in front of 200 strangers is a little unsettling for me, I'm a pretty private person.

I'll get used to it though.

Here's an issue for you, don't forget to empty your bladder and bowels before a class, you don't wanna get choked out and lose control of them.
:D

naja
10-16-2008, 08:34 AM
:o I bet no one would mess with me after that!! until I got a shower that is.....

I'm kinda excited about starting, but also nervous because it'll be so much different in applications and training than what I'm used to. I'm a little guy, 5'6" 160lbs. I'll probably get thrown around like a rag doll!!

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2008, 08:36 AM
:o I bet no one would mess with me after that!! until I got a shower that is.....

I'm kinda excited about starting, but also nervous because it'll be so much different in applications and training than what I'm used to. I'm a little guy, 5'6" 160lbs. I'll probably get thrown around like a rag doll!!

I am 5-6 and 170 myself so, yes, you will be thrown around a bit, just remember your "rooting training" and it will help a bit, though not for long !

naja
10-16-2008, 08:43 AM
eh, maybe I'll use my short stature to uproot them!!!! ::evil laugh::

or I'll just get thrown on my @ss. :D

SimonM
10-16-2008, 09:25 AM
McDojo for a while.

But I do Jiu Jutsu along with my Kung Fu now and will likely be doing Judo if I move to Prince George.

And short guys: I am annoyed by your low center of gravity. So if I can't throw you I'll clinch and then try to just haul you to the ground. :D

sanjuro_ronin
10-16-2008, 09:33 AM
McDojo for a while.

But I do Jiu Jutsu along with my Kung Fu now and will likely be doing Judo if I move to Prince George.

And short guys: I am annoyed by your low center of gravity. So if I can't throw you I'll clinch and then try to just haul you to the ground. :D

The ground? BAH !!
That's like 3" away from a deep horse stance !!

naja
10-16-2008, 09:45 AM

I was wondering if us shorter guys would have an advantage at all.

Well, not that being hauled to the ground is an advantage but you know what I mean. I think. :confused:

SimonM
10-16-2008, 10:10 AM
The toughest opponents for me to wrestle with are invariably short and stocky.

Big and tall guys like me: not too many in my circle but when I have faced them most have balance issues. I don't have bad balance but that's down to years of working on it. A bit harder to manage on the ground unless they get worn down.

Tall lanky guys: EASY to throw... frequently the most dramatic throws are on tall lanky guys. Easier on ground than the big guys.

Short skinny guys: Very light, thus easy to throw and easy to dominate on ground due to weight differential... but gotta be careful got climbed by a short skinny guy like a monkey in a cliche tree once and choked out.

Short, stocky guys: Low center of gravity, heavier, hard to throw, also harder to get in arm and leg related locks on the ground. In my experience slightly easier to pass guard on short, stocky guys. I generally try to get cross body, mount or top body and try for a choke.

This is based on personal experience only and YMMV. My opinions on the matter should not constitute any sort of absolute.

naja
10-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Well, I'll be the shortest guy in the class. Most of them are somewhat stocky as well.

I may have my work cut out for me, but I'm fine with that. I'll end up a better fighter/grappler in the end.

SimonM
10-16-2008, 12:18 PM
That's the idea. :D

GreenCloudCLF
10-17-2008, 01:16 PM
I did a training seminar with Mike Swain. It was one of the best seminars I have been to. He was the nicest guy and watching his skill was unbelievable. I was thinking of going Judo after attending the seminar, but couldn;t find any place close enough.

naja
10-23-2008, 05:43 AM
Went to my first class last night. I am sore! Didn't think it would take that much out of me. It was very fun though, and it really brought to light how much of a ground game I didn't have.

SimonM
10-23-2008, 07:12 AM
Wrestling is hard work, really hard work.

jera
10-23-2008, 11:53 PM
I would suggest Judo to anyone who is serious about martial arts.

Depending on who you practice with the classes can vary in difficulty, but in all three Judo "schools" I have attended it was, as you put it, very informal.

The best training technique for someone learning Judo is to take a partner, and throw him/her five times with each of the group 1 throws(De-ashi-harai, Hiza-guruma, Sasae-tsurikomi-ashi, Uki-goshi, Osoto-gari, O-goshi, Ouchi-gari, Seoi-nage) and then have him/her throw you five times with each of the group 1 throws.

Take turns throwing eachother in the above fashion for five minutes straight. Trust me five minutes will seem like a lifetime even if you've been training for a while.

Nota Bene: Do not train this way until you have the group 1 throws down, and you can fall/land properly. I cannot stress this enough, do not harm yourself by trying to jump the gun and try somthing you're not ready for. First suggest this to your trainer, if he gives the okay have him supervise.

The most important thing about Judo is to have fun. Even if you're competing, it should be an enjoyable experience.

jera
10-24-2008, 12:00 AM
I was wondering if us shorter guys would have an advantage at all.

Well, not that being hauled to the ground is an advantage but you know what I mean. I think. :confused:

It depends on your center of gravity, my coach(College Judo Club) is fairly tall(6'2 and about 175lbs) but he has the best balance out of anyone I have ever faced.

I'm in the short stocky range, 5'8 190lbs, but until I unlearned my Long Fist sparring style, I was thrown left, right, and down the middle.

sanjuro_ronin
10-24-2008, 04:19 AM
It depends on your center of gravity, my coach(College Judo Club) is fairly tall(6'2 and about 175lbs) but he has the best balance out of anyone I have ever faced.

I'm in the short stocky range, 5'8 190lbs, but until I unlearned my Long Fist sparring style, I was thrown left, right, and down the middle.

That is fairly common, most striking systems teach rooting and balance based on strikes not grappling and that is enough to get you thrown over and over again.

sanjuro_ronin
10-24-2008, 04:21 AM
I would suggest Judo to anyone who is serious about martial arts.

Depending on who you practice with the classes can vary in difficulty, but in all three Judo "schools" I have attended it was, as you put it, very informal.

The best training technique for someone learning Judo is to take a partner, and throw him/her five times with each of the group 1 throws(De-ashi-harai, Hiza-guruma, Sasae-tsurikomi-ashi, Uki-goshi, Osoto-gari, O-goshi, Ouchi-gari, Seoi-nage) and then have him/her throw you five times with each of the group 1 throws.

Take turns throwing eachother in the above fashion for five minutes straight. Trust me five minutes will seem like a lifetime even if you've been training for a while.

Nota Bene: Do not train this way until you have the group 1 throws down, and you can fall/land properly. I cannot stress this enough, do not harm yourself by trying to jump the gun and try somthing you're not ready for. First suggest this to your trainer, if he gives the okay have him supervise.

The most important thing about Judo is to have fun. Even if you're competing, it should be an enjoyable experience.

Good suggestion, another one that I have always been a fan of is doing one throw and drilling the crap out of it, a whole class or training session based on 2 throw.
You learn how to get it from every conceivable angle and how to defend against it.

mawali
10-24-2008, 06:47 AM
I tell people the best combination is changquan and either judo and jujitsu because ou can see application(s) in the former if you actually do the latter because you actually interact with the opponent and get thrown so you develop strategies to make yourself stronger and have real world experience.

SimonM
10-24-2008, 06:55 AM
Good suggestion, another one that I have always been a fan of is doing one throw and drilling the crap out of it, a whole class or training session based on 2 throw.
You learn how to get it from every conceivable angle and how to defend against it.

At my kwoon, when we are drilling throws and/or ground, our sifu will generally pick about three variations on the same technique... and we'll just drill the hell out of them.

naja
11-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Well, I canceled my Kung Fu class. I think just doing the judo is going to be plenty right now. Getting to actually drill techniques on resisting partners makes a ton of difference....

naja
11-11-2008, 10:22 AM
geez, going from a striking art to a grappling one is harder than one would think. My balance is wrong, my coordination is wrong, pretty much everything is wrong. I'm very hesitant to turn my back to uke when attempting a throw...

You guys that have mentioned you do judo as well, did you go through through this weird transitional period as well?

sanjuro_ronin
11-11-2008, 11:53 AM
geez, going from a striking art to a grappling one is harder than one would think. My balance is wrong, my coordination is wrong, pretty much everything is wrong. I'm very hesitant to turn my back to uke when attempting a throw...

You guys that have mentioned you do judo as well, did you go through through this weird transitional period as well?

When I stared Judo I was doing Boxing at the same time ( and place) and doing Karate too.
Never had that problem.
I know a boxer that took judo with me and he had a bit of trouble with the different footwork, but that's because he moved too much.

SimonM
11-11-2008, 01:02 PM
I did a bit of mcdojo karate and kempo when I was a little kid but my real introduction to martial arts was wrestling and judo. That predated my boxing... my timing and balance issues have tended to be the opposite.

naja
11-12-2008, 09:22 AM
well, I'm having a hard time with it. Who knows, maybe after another month it'll work itself out.

sanjuro_ronin
11-12-2008, 09:30 AM
well, I'm having a hard time with it. Who knows, maybe after another month it'll work itself out.

I can understand the coordination part, but the balance...well, its a tad tricky, but its easy to catch on, what systems did you do before Judo?

SimonM
11-12-2008, 10:31 AM
You know what activity my martial arts training kind of screwed up?

Bowling.

I'm so used to directing my arms towards the center line that I find my bowling balls tend to slice crazily to the sides.

naja
11-12-2008, 01:36 PM
I can understand the coordination part, but the balance...well, its a tad tricky, but its easy to catch on, what systems did you do before Judo?

shaolin-do baby. No wonder I'll all screwed up huh?

I'm debating on skipping judo tonight. The class is free so I'm not out any $$, but I hate to miss class. My knee is telling me I should skip class tonight. I'm thinking I should listen to it and try to schedule an MRI soon.

wiz cool c
11-13-2008, 08:45 PM
I got my green belt just before returning to Beijing one month ago to contuinue my Shuai Jiao training. I love judo it is a great art. It is practical and they have very sceintific methods of training. And it really is not that different from kung fu. It is like a very practical form of kung fu.

As a beginner you will train with black belts who will let you trow them in sparring. Gradualy they will offer more resitence. This method really teaches you usable skill.

sanjuro_ronin
11-14-2008, 04:59 AM
shaolin-do baby. No wonder I'll all screwed up huh?

I'm debating on skipping judo tonight. The class is free so I'm not out any $$, but I hate to miss class. My knee is telling me I should skip class tonight. I'm thinking I should listen to it and try to schedule an MRI soon.

Ah, shaolin-do.
No need to say more.

Lucas
12-23-2008, 05:47 PM
So, I did a search and did not see a thread titled Judo, or one looking dedicated to Judo.

I plan to be taking up judo pretty soon here, and I always look for more information sources and places to share and learn from, so I figured I would make a judo thread that I can post in as my journey progresses.

Also, I know there are several guys here into Judo.

I will be starting Judo here. (http://obukanjudo.com/) A friend of mine trains there and is pretty pleased. Its traditional, which is what I am looking for. (what you guys think?)

I'll update here later with my experiences and how what I am doing is so rad :p

Im looking at having to wait for about a month or so, so I'm going to cheat and find standard solo judo drills and start practicing. Im picturing falling down a lot in my apartment and ****ing off my neighbors. :D

naja
12-23-2008, 09:52 PM
So, I did a search and did not see a thread titled Judo, or one looking dedicated to Judo.

I plan to be taking up judo pretty soon here, and I always look for more information sources and places to share and learn from, so I figured I would make a judo thread that I can post in as my journey progresses.

I will be starting Judo here. (http://obukanjudo.com/) A friend of mine trains there and is pretty pleased. Its traditional, which is what I am looking for. (what you guys think?)

hehe, that's what I did. Two threads
here (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52686) and here (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52234&highlight=judo)

Two of my favorite judo sites are judoforum.com and judoinfo.com

I haven't come across any solo judo drills, other than shrimping and working with bands. I wouldn't want to practice breakfalls without a mat....

tsuei08
12-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Looks like the real deal to me... You have an 89 yr old Sensei teaching on a regular basis and something must be right! I would like to check the place out myself. I still intend to go to Gregory Fong's Kwoon... when the road from Salem to Portland clears up! But Obukan looks like it would be a cool place and I would love to meet Onchi Sensei

sanjuro_ronin
12-24-2008, 05:30 AM

Im looking at having to wait for about a month or so, so I'm going to cheat and find standard solo judo drills and start practicing. Im picturing falling down a lot in my apartment and ****ing off my neighbors. :D

Doing pull-ups by holding on to a gi will get your grip nice and strong.
Tie a belt around a tree or pillar and train some throws.
If you can afford it, invest in a throwing dummy, but they are mucho $$$
If you wanna train breakfalls, outside is the best way- grass and in this case, snow.
The thing is, while you can develop some of the atributes needs from judo alone, you won't develop any of the skills.

SimonM
12-24-2008, 07:31 AM
I've wrestled in snow before... once...

It's in some ways more fun and in other ways much less fun than you would expect.

Getting tapped out by having your head jammed into 2 foot deep powder until you begin to suffocate a little sucks.

And burns.

Lucas
12-24-2008, 10:51 AM
naja: DOH! my search fu is weak i guess. hehe. Ill check out those forums, thanks for the links.

tsuei: isnt all the snow here crazy this year. lol. I'm pretty stoked about getting to start training there, they do kendo too so ill probably get into that eventually. ill totally let you know what i think. but hey, 15 bucks a month for some legit judo sounds like a deal to me!

Sanjuro: Thanks for that pullup exersize. Ill start that one right away, sounds fun. I'll have to go throw myself at some snow before it melts. attributes are what im looking for right now. any edge i can get on what ill be getting into ahead of time is what im after.

lol simon. that gives me a pretty funny mental image.

Lucas
01-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Hey Sanjuro,

Got any other cool conditioning exersizes you can suggest to me, to help up judo specific attributes :D

those pull ups are awesome.

at first i could only do a few, but im starting to get better at them.

Lucas
01-08-2009, 08:45 PM
so in addition to pull ups ive been doing the first set of DL's and rows' with this same thing. I just cradle the bar with the cloth and give myself a bit to grab onto.

i looked into the various kinds of throwing dummies and will most likely get something similar to this (http://www.betyourlifecombativefightingskills.com/images/throwing_dummy_r50u.jpg) once i actually start at the dojo.

sanjuro_ronin
01-09-2009, 06:49 AM
so in addition to pull ups ive been doing the first set of DL's and rows' with this same thing. I just cradle the bar with the cloth and give myself a bit to grab onto.

i looked into the various kinds of throwing dummies and will most likely get something similar to this (http://www.betyourlifecombativefightingskills.com/images/throwing_dummy_r50u.jpg) once i actually start at the dojo.

That is the one I have, tape it up nice and good with duct tape and you can do some GNP and some clinch work./striking too.

Lucas
02-24-2009, 10:26 AM
one more week !!! im so stoked.

Lucas
03-04-2009, 09:23 AM
well i learned something last night. there is no way in hell that the bus system here will get me there on time. its not super far away but for some reason the only bus that goes out there is on a limited schedule, and i have to go all the way down town first to catch it. i should have looked into that first lol

plan b:

lucas buys a car.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

sanjuro_ronin
03-04-2009, 09:24 AM
well i learned something last night. there is no way in hell that the bus system here will get me there on time. its not super far away but for some reason the only bus that goes out there is on a limited schedule, and i have to go all the way down town first to catch it. i should have looked into that first lol

plan b:

lucas buys a car.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

too far to jog? or cycle?

Lucas
03-04-2009, 10:06 AM
hmm i hadnt really thought of the cycle. i could get my bike fixed. (smashed by a car)

its about 10 miles. i know i dont have the conditioning to run 10 miles and then do judo for 2 hours.

i guess thats my fault. :o

i have been wanting to get a motorcycle though...so maybe thats an option for me.

right now i have a friend who has asked me to work with him on his kungfu, he wants to get back into it actively, he also has a friend who has been jumped a couple times in the past few months, who wants to learn to defend himself. im thinking i might start working with them right now, and see what i can do about the transportation.

i suppose i should have planned better than to just try and show up once i had the cash to start training.

Lucas
03-04-2009, 10:45 AM
you know, thinking about it this could be a good thing for me.

kind of a wake up call. im 30 and have never had my license......maybe its time LOL

sanjuro_ronin
03-04-2009, 12:48 PM
you know, thinking about it this could be a good thing for me.

kind of a wake up call. im 30 and have never had my license......maybe its time LOL

Freaking kids....

Lucas
03-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Freaking kids....

lol, right?

thanks for calling me a kid though.

Lucas
07-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Finally found a Judo club i can get to consistently, new place here in portland!!! stoked :D

50 bucks a month for unlimited classes.

last time i did a search for judo in my area the only place was way north and unattainable. this meets my schedule too where as the other place was too early for me.

JamesC
07-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Finally found a Judo club i can get to consistently, new place here in portland!!! stoked :D

50 bucks a month for unlimited classes.

http://portlandjudo.com/

last time i did a search for judo in my area the only place was way north and unattainable. this meets my schedule too where as the other place was too early for me.

Nice!

You're lucky. I had to quit my Kodokan club because of schedule conflictions. I really hope I can get back there some day. One of the most useful and most fun places i've ever trained.

JamesC
07-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Also, pay no attention to the politics. There seems to be a lot between the associations in Judo. USJA, USJF, etc.

The bottom line is that it is all the same.

I will say that I asked to train at a different associations club while out of town once and they were happy to oblige regardless.

YouKnowWho
07-07-2011, 01:19 PM
I plan to be taking up judo pretty soon here,
Assuming you are going to integrate your Judo skill into your striking skill in the future. I don't know Judo, but I do wish that I had learned my throwing skill without jacket dependency on day one. Here is one suggestion since you are flesh in this art. For every Judo throw that you will learn, try to map that throw into no-Gi throw ASAP (not in school but by yourself). This way, later on down the road, you don't have to spend another 5 years try to remove your Gi dependency. All the pushing contact points, you should have no problem in both Gi or no-Gi. It's the pulling contact points that without Gi, a hard pulling may be difficult (unless you have strong grip).

I just hate to see that you spend 3 years to develop a throw and later on find out it only works in the Gi environment. If a throw that doesn't have much dependency on the Gi, it may be worthwhile to spend your training time to develop that particular throw instead.

For example, when you do your "Osoto Guruma", instead of using your right hand to hold and push on your opponent's upper collar, you use your right hand to push your opponent's neck instead. This way you will have less Gi dependency but still achieve the same result.

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/osotoguruma.htm

Brule
07-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Assuming you are going to integrate your Judo skill into your striking skill in the future. I don't know Judo, but I do wish that I had learned my throwing skill without jacket dependency on day one. Here is one suggestion since you are flesh in this art. For every Judo throw that you will learn, try to map that throw into no-Gi throw ASAP (not in school but by yourself). This way, later on down the road, you don't have to spend another 5 years try to remove your Gi dependency. All the pushing contact points, you should have no problem in both Gi or no-Gi. It's the pulling contact points that without Gi, a hard pulling may be difficult (unless you have strong grip).

I just hate to see that you spend 3 years to develop a throw and later on find out it only works in the Gi environment. If a throw that doesn't have much dependency on the Gi, it may be worthwhile to spend your training time to develop that throw instead.

For example, when you do your "Osoto Guruma", instead of using your right hand to hold and push on your opponent's upper collar, you use your right hand to push your opponent's neck instead. This way you will have less Gi dependency but still achieve the same result.

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/osotoguruma.htm

overhook/underhook/neck control

Lucas, prepare to be whole body sore from all the throwing. Make sure you have a bottle of Bawang Ghey (BENGHEY) or a tub of jow.

YouKnowWho
07-07-2011, 02:01 PM
overhook/underhook/neck control...

May be also add bear hug, waist control, ankle hold, knee hold ...

When someone throw you, try not to let "the back of your head" to hit the ground.

To learn a throw is important but to learn "how to create a chance for your throw" is even more important.

Lucas
07-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! That will definately help.

Lucas
07-08-2011, 09:09 AM
is there much striking in judo at all?

JamesC
07-08-2011, 09:24 AM
I think there is some basic atemi waza, but, i've never seen any of it.

I would expect it to be very Shotokan Karate-ish since Jigoro Kano recieved some Karate instruction from Gichin Funakoshi.

Trust me, you'll have your hands full just learning how to step and move in Judo to even think about striking for a good long while, lol. It is WAY harder than it looks. I felt like it was something that would take me a LOT longer to get good at compared to striking.

Of course I came from a striking background...

Lucas
07-08-2011, 09:37 AM
well thats cool though. im interested in going in as a clean slate. less striking will be better under that context i think. i love being a new student, so much fun.

JamesC
07-08-2011, 09:55 AM
I envy you. :mad:

Lucas
07-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Sucker!!!!! ;)

MightyB
07-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Judo's a gateway drug. After a year or two - you'll be able to pick up Sambo variations just by watching them on youtube.

I cross train both Judo and BJJ. Truth be told - I kind'a prefer Judo but BJJers with rank will almost always beat Judo guys two or three times their rank on the ground if the Judo guy's foolish enough to engage them... but BJJ got's no standup skillz. Their takedowns are terrible, and for me - the takedowns are the fun part.

Lucas
07-08-2011, 12:04 PM
i have considered which i wanted to take up, and for the standing to the ground element i wanted to go for judo since it seems superior to bjj. my time has been invested in stand up so thats where i want to stay and i feel judo will cater to that better.

does judo spend much time on going from ground to return to your feet, or does it mostly focus on finishing on the ground once there?

sanjuro_ronin
07-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Judo's a gateway drug. After a year or two - you'll be able to pick up Sambo variations just by watching them on youtube.

I cross train both Judo and BJJ. Truth be told - I kind'a prefer Judo but BJJers with rank will almost always beat Judo guys two or three times their rank on the ground if the Judo guy's foolish enough to engage them... but BJJ got's no standup skillz. Their takedowns are terrible, and for me - the takedowns are the fun part.

Judo is not just Kodokan Judo, that is based more on throws and pins then submissions.
There is Kosen that is 90% submission work, but the truth is they don't compete that much in submission grappling.
Judo has time limits on the ground so the pin is "easier" than the sub for many.
All the BJJ has, judo has.
BUT BJJ is far more specialized on the ground and far more advanced ( typically) in the submission part since they devote far more time to it.
A 1 year BJJ player will demolish most 4 year judo guys on the ground.
When I did BJJ I had a BB in Judo already and the blue belts were far ahead on the ground, but I made that gap up very quickly.
I would throw pretty much everyone there, black belts included, but that was alright by them, LOL !

JamesC
07-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah I made the mistake of going to the ground with 2 guys from a BJJ club during a Judo tournament. :rolleyes:

Never do that again if I can help it.

As a side note, there is something very satisfying about landing an ippon on an opponent.

I'm leaving this thread before I quit my job and return to Judo.:(

sanjuro_ronin
07-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Yeah I made the mistake of going to the ground with 2 guys from a BJJ club during a Judo tournament. :rolleyes:

Never do that again if I can help it.

As a side note, there is something very satisfying about landing an ippon on an opponent.

I'm leaving this thread before I quit my job and return to Judo.:(

I recall my first uchi-mata ippon, it was a beautiful thing !
I also recall when I was rolling with a BJJ purple and he was so used to me going for a throw that I pulled off "jumping" arm bar !
Surprise is an awesome thing.

MightyB
07-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Judo is not just Kodokan Judo, that is based more on throws and pins then submissions.
There is Kosen that is 90% submission work, but the truth is they don't compete that much in submission grappling...

I'm with the mainstream Judo-ers that believe that modern Kosen is- well- a myth. It's true that the old school Kosen players in Japan were accomplished at newaza and were able to thus nullify their size handicap against the big Tokyo guys, but the Kodokan or should I say, Tokyo Judo Clubs took care of that with one of their famous rule changes "for the good of Judo". There is no Kosen style of Judo... it was just a regional preference for NeWaza... a loophole that allowed smaller guys to compete against bigger guys.

Don't forget for once that Judo is political... very very political with strategic rule changes that always seem to benefit the makers of the rules.

JamesC
07-08-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm with the mainstream Judo-ers that believe that modern Kosen is- well- a myth. It's true that the old school Kosen players in Japan were accomplished at newaza and were able to thus nullify their size handicap against the big Tokyo guys, but the Kodokan or should I say, Tokyo Judo Clubs took care of that with one of their famous rule changes "for the good of Judo". There is no Kosen style of Judo... it was just a regional preference for NeWaza... a loophole that allowed smaller guys to compete against bigger guys.

Don't forget for once that Judo is political... very very political with strategic rule changes that always seem to benefit the makers of the rules.

Yeah, the politics at high level competition is just disgusting. I imagine it is this way for most competitive sports, though.

MightyB
07-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Yeah, the politics at high level competition is just disgusting. I imagine it is this way for most competitive sports, though.

I just spent the last 3 months having to learn the Greco Roman no leg grabbing version of Kata Guruma because of a recent rule change for the betterment of Judo.

Some of us have spent literally years developing our personal favorite throws only to have them taken from us because some people with political pull couldn't stand losing. I was soooooo peaved that I nearly dropped Judo all together. :mad: Still mad when I think about it.

Lucas
07-08-2011, 02:42 PM
so what do you guys think about training judo just for self defense?

JamesC
07-08-2011, 02:49 PM
It is fantastic. Your techniques are pressure tested as you learn them. Doesn't get much better for learning throws, imo.

It's really the competition stuff that takes the most hits from all the politics. I remember there were a bunch of rule changes just before my first competition too, but I was so new that it wasn't a big deal to me.

There were a few people from the US Olympic team there. It was amazing how well they could throw.

Lucas
07-08-2011, 02:57 PM
cool, i mainly want to learn judo just for my own personal martial arts. i really like the advice ykw gives about mapping my throws to no gi. i am going to do that.

YouKnowWho
07-08-2011, 04:50 PM
The 三角肌deltoid is the strongest muscle on human body. Try to use it for landing.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%25E4%25B8%2589%25E8%25A7%2592%25E8%2582%258C&ei=QpcXTsGCJaXZiALihZnSBQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CDwQ7gEwBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%25E4%25B8%2589%25E8%25A7%2592%25E8%2 582%258C%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4PPST_enUS398US398%26 prmd%3Divns

MightyB
07-08-2011, 08:21 PM
This will sound crazy, but Judo made me good at kung fu. Judo is rough- especially if you're competitive and have a good group of guys to practice with. It will be frustrating for you at first because you'll be new, and you may feel weak when you compare yourself with guys about your age with the same amount of martial experience (just in Judo) and you go to play randori with them.

It'll be frustrating - but, after you give it some time, you'll get better. You'll notice how the stuff that you learned "blends" with the stuff you'll be learning, much like how SC blends strikes and throws - you'll just have to make the connection yourself. And then you'll start winning some... and then it evens out to where you're 50/50 in your club. Then you start beating people in other clubs... then one day you'll realize that you're strong in Judo. And you'll realize that you've been in literally hundreds of "fights" with skilled martial artists- then you start to see things differently. Your confidence is at a level that TCMA by itself might not have given you because of the lack of consistent hard randori... but you have it now. Then the fight club thing happens- where you're subconciously sizing people up everywhere you go- where you can walk into a club and spot the one or two people who may give you a problem if you had to fight them, and you'll definitely spot the phonies - the bullies that think they're strong just by virtue of being big. It's a whole new world- and you'll see it the way a fighting martial artists sees it.

sanjuro_ronin
07-11-2011, 06:21 AM

Myth maybe ( probably) but the old -pre-war judo did tend to be far more grappling oriented than the olympic judo.
There is a Kosen dojo in Japan though, or at least there was.
There are also a few "combat judo" one which are, basically, MMA with a gi.

sanjuro_ronin
07-11-2011, 06:21 AM
This will sound crazy, but Judo made me good at kung fu. Judo is rough- especially if you're competitive and have a good group of guys to practice with. It will be frustrating for you at first because you'll be new, and you may feel weak when you compare yourself with guys about your age with the same amount of martial experience (just in Judo) and you go to play randori with them.

It'll be frustrating - but, after you give it some time, you'll get better. You'll notice how the stuff that you learned "blends" with the stuff you'll be learning, much like how SC blends strikes and throws - you'll just have to make the connection yourself. And then you'll start winning some... and then it evens out to where you're 50/50 in your club. Then you start beating people in other clubs... then one day you'll realize that you're strong in Judo. And you'll realize that you've been in literally hundreds of "fights" with skilled martial artists- then you start to see things differently. Your confidence is at a level that TCMA by itself might not have given you because of the lack of consistent hard randori... but you have it now. Then the fight club thing happens- where you're subconciously sizing people up everywhere you go- where you can walk into a club and spot the one or two people who may give you a problem if you had to fight them, and you'll definitely spot the phonies - the bullies that think they're strong just by virtue of being big. It's a whole new world- and you'll see it the way a fighting martial artists sees it.

Well put sir, two thumbs up.

Kevin73
07-11-2011, 11:18 AM

I only studied Judo for a short time, but had heard that in class. Competition rules were changed since many Judoka were losing to wrestlers who knew single/double leg takedowns and didn't really "know judo" other than their wrestling background.

I have also heard that the Russians at one time had a very stylized version with a unique grip that gave them an advantage in competition and then the rules were changed so the grip couldn't be used.

Don't know how true either of those are, but that was the info passed onto me.

PS: The Judo club that I did go to spent their time 50/50. They met two times a week and Day 1 was all stand up and throwing and Day 2 of the week was spent on ground fighting. They also met on another day for free sparring. It was a great place, too bad gas was so high to keep going.

sanjuro_ronin
07-11-2011, 11:30 AM
I only studied Judo for a short time, but had heard that in class. Competition rules were changed since many Judoka were losing to wrestlers who knew single/double leg takedowns and didn't really "know judo" other than their wrestling background.

I have also heard that the Russians at one time had a very stylized version with a unique grip that gave them an advantage in competition and then the rules were changed so the grip couldn't be used.

Don't know how true either of those are, but that was the info passed onto me.

PS: The Judo club that I did go to spent their time 50/50. They met two times a week and Day 1 was all stand up and throwing and Day 2 of the week was spent on ground fighting. They also met on another day for free sparring. It was a great place, too bad gas was so high to keep going.

Judo is very political, more than TKD is you can believe that.
Olympic events are ALL VERY political.

Lucas
07-11-2011, 11:35 AM
is it hard to avoid the politics? in your guys' experience is the training any different if you train for self defense rather than sport?

MightyB
07-11-2011, 11:55 AM
is it hard to avoid the politics? in your guys' experience is the training any different if you train for self defense rather than sport?

Yes you can avoid the politics and yes the training will be different- IMO though - it's more fun to train in the competitive classes than in the "traditional" classes (they work out harder). When you join Judo - you're joining an organization. So it's not like you have to stay in any one place. You're usually free to roam from club to club and it's encouraged (you will of course have a "home base" that you'll refer to as your club). Anyway - you'll find what you need and there's never any requirement that you participate in competitions.

Lucas
07-11-2011, 12:08 PM
sweet news. im excited. im moving this week so im not going to be starting for a couple weeks, once everything is settled and situated. from the photo gallery on line the group looks like a fun bunch of people so that is aplus.

Lucas
09-03-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm in love with judo. That is all.

dirtyrat
09-03-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm in love with judo. That is all.

she'll break your heart, man....

Dragonzbane76
09-03-2011, 09:36 PM
me to.......:(

SimonM
09-04-2011, 04:48 AM
Judo is pretty **** awesome.

If not for sushi I'd hazard it as being the best cultural product to come out of Japan.

Lucas
09-04-2011, 05:50 AM
Seriously, I really wish I had started judo years ago.

MightyB
09-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Seriously, I really wish I had started judo years ago.

Ain't life a beyotch?! I feel the same way.

Lucas
09-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Ya heh, I still value my CMA training, but I just wish I had gotten involved in a throwing art a long time ago. The dojo I joined has a great group of guys. Very open minded, humble, fun and friendly. High caliber of guys there, several black belts. Some pretty tough guys. Sessions are broken into two parts. First half is conditioning, second is partner drilling and sparring. Loving it. I get to train four days a week for only 50 bucks a month.

MightyB
09-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Ya heh, I still value my CMA training, but I just wish I had gotten involved in a throwing art a long time ago...

Yeah - it's just different, but you get where I'm coming from with how it'll make you better in being able to use CMA?

wenshu
09-06-2011, 01:25 PM
When is your first comp?

Lucas
09-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Yeah - it's just different, but you get where I'm coming from with how it'll make you better in being able to use CMA?

Oh definately! I can tell its going to be an ongoing 'eye opener' for some time to come.

Lucas
09-06-2011, 03:30 PM
When is your first comp?

lol :D

not sure, not quite on my horizon yet, there is a local comp coming up pretty soon but i wont be ready for that, maybe the next one!! I am looking forward to it though.

MightyB
09-07-2011, 07:32 AM
lol :D

not sure, not quite on my horizon yet, there is a local comp coming up pretty soon but i wont be ready for that, maybe the next one!! I am looking forward to it though.

The best time to compete is when you're a white/green belt. After brown, everyone gets serious.

Lucas
09-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Just thought I would share an inspiring article here about my Judo instructor. If anyone ever moves to Portland, or is in Portland and interested in Judo, come check out the place!! Being a Judo noob is lots of fun, and I feel extremely fortunate to have started my experience here at Portland Judo. Sensei is a true class act.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/09/judo_instructor_uses_retiremen.html

http://www.portlandjudo.com (portlandjudo.com)

MightyB
09-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Just thought I would share an inspiring article here about my Judo instructor. If anyone ever moves to Portland, or is in Portland and interested in Judo, come check out the place!! Being a Judo noob is lots of fun, and I feel extremely fortunate to have started my experience here at Portland Judo. Sensei is a true class act.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/09/judo_instructor_uses_retiremen.html

http://www.portlandjudo.com (portlandjudo.com)

Retired at 40 :eek:
That's awesome! He's truly living the life. Cool article and good story. Thanks for sharing.

MightyB
05-31-2012, 08:49 AM
How's the Judo going Lucas?

Lucas
05-31-2012, 11:18 AM
judo is da bomb mang!!

i have a real issue remembering names though... :(

i need to buy a book to study or something.

sanjuro_ronin
05-31-2012, 11:19 AM
judo is da bomb mang!!

i have a real issue remembering names though... :(

i need to buy a book to study or something.

The japanese names or english ones?

Lucas
05-31-2012, 11:56 AM
the japanese

sanjuro_ronin
05-31-2012, 12:12 PM
the japanese

It is overly complicated for no real reason.
There are limited throws:
Hip
Shoulder
leg
hand
That's really it.
:p

wenshu
05-31-2012, 12:14 PM
the japanese

http://judoinfo.com/animate.htm

Lucas
05-31-2012, 12:18 PM
http://judoinfo.com/animate.htm

dude that rocks!!!!!! thx man

sanjuro_ronin
05-31-2012, 12:18 PM
dude that rocks!!!!!! thx man

You never seen that site before ?

Lucas
05-31-2012, 12:19 PM
You never seen that site before ?

no lol. im actually pretty noobish in terms of the internet. i only know kfmo and netflix lol

Lucas
05-31-2012, 12:20 PM
i like this: http://judoinfo.com/animate1.htm since it shows both names side by side.

YouKnowWho
05-31-2012, 01:27 PM
It is overly complicated for no real reason.
There are limited throws:
Hip
Shoulder
leg
hand
That's really it.
:p

Chinese wrestling divides throws into "4 sides 2 doors":

- 1st side (your right leg attack the outside of your opponent's left leg).
- 2nd side (your right leg attack the inside of your opponent's left leg).
- 3rd side (your right leg attack the inside of your opponent's right leg).
- 4th side (your right leg attack the outside of your opponent's right leg).
- front door (your back touch your opponent's chest).
- back door (your chest touch your opponent's back).

Does Judo have similiar category method other than just hip, shoulder, leg, hand?

Hebrew Hammer
05-31-2012, 01:52 PM

Does Judo have similiar category method other than just hip, shoulder, leg, hand?

I'm a big fan of the back door! :D

Lucas, how long have you been training in Judo now? Judo was my first martial art when I was fifteen, I still enjoy watching it. I've been struggling to find some regular martial training that would fit with my work/school/budget restrictions...thought I was going to to do Tai Chi but I need some more physical...think I'll be doing Gracie BJJ starting next month.

sanjuro_ronin
06-01-2012, 05:50 AM

Yeah but I have to be honest and maybe this is from the wrestling influence that I have too, but Asian MA tend to over complicate the "sim0pliest" of things with "unnecessary" words.
And Japanese systems can be worse than chinese ones.
There are active throws and reactive throws, throws that pull and throws that push, one throw can have 2,3 even 4 different names ( variations of) because of how it is done and when.

GeneChing
06-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Judo head should resign now (http://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2013/06/29/editorials/judo-head-should-resign-now/#.Uc4BKsosasI)
Jun 29, 2013

Mr. Haruki Uemura, chairman of the All Japan Judo Federation, announced Monday that he will resign around October to take the responsibility for a series of scandals that have hit the judo organization. His refusal to step down immediately is untenable. He should take seriously the call for him to step down sooner, which members of the AJJF’s regional council made the following day.

In January it surfaced that the coach of the All-Japan women’s judo team used violence on female judo players during practice. The coach, Mr. Ryuji Sonoda, resigned Feb. 1.

In a separate incident, a third-party investigation committee at the end of April handed Mr. Uemura a report on the AJJF’s misappropriation of funds from the Japan Sports Council (JSC). The report said the responsibility lay with Mr. Uemura as head of the judo organization.

The Public Interest Corporation Commission of the Cabinet Office, upon receiving a report from the AJJF on its scandals, pointed out that the judo organization lacked sincerity in its handling of the scandals.

Nonetheless, Mr. Uemura decided to stay on his course even as people concerned stressed that a complete change in the AJJF’s executive body is necessary.

Mr. Uemura said that it would be irresponsible of him to throw the AJJF into a state of confusion by stepping down without completing the reforms. He also said that he would like to hand his job to the next generation after making full preparations for them.

Although Mr. Uemura stresses the importance of reforming the AJJF, the scandals did not take place because there was something wrong with its organizational structure. The root cause is the AFFJ’s culture, which embraced the use of violent coaching methods. The AFFJ’s executive body also demonstrated a lack of a law-abiding spirit in the misappropriation scandal. The AFFJ had 27 unqualified judo coaches receive ¥36.2 million in support funds from the JSC and then donate most of the money to the AFFJ.

There are no fundamental defects in the AJJF’s rules, including those governing decision making. Rather, the attitude of the executive body is the problem. It is suspected that the executive body often made decisions without first having the board of directors hold the necessary discussions.

Mr. Uemura should help the executive body possess a law-embracing spirit by resigning immediately. This will enable a new executive body to quickly address the AFFJ’s problems. The appointment of the first three female directors on its board, including two-time Olympic gold medalist Ms. Ryoko Tani, offers a good chance to do so.

Mr. Uemura must pay serious attention to the fact that AFFJ sponsors have stopped donating funds. As long as he stays, judo will continue to suffer from a tainted image, and many children may refrain from joining judo clubs, thus weakening the future prospects of Japanese judo. Any judoka here that know more details about this?

GeneChing
01-12-2016, 11:41 AM
From Rio’s Slums, a Judo Champion Is Mining Olympic Gold (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/08/sports/olympics/rafaela-silva-brazil-judo-rio-games.html?_r=0)
By JOHN BRANCHJAN. 7, 2016

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2016/01/08/sports/08olympicsx1/08olympicsx1-master1050.jpg
Rafaela Silva tossing a fellow judoka. No sport has produced more Brazilian Olympic medalists than judo, and Silva, 23, is expected to join them. Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times

RIO DE JANEIRO — On a narrow, steep street about five miles from where the Olympic judo competition will take place in August, near a pile of unused bricks alongside Rua Agostinho Gama, 31 concrete steps hugged the outside of a building, rose and turned out of sight.

The stairs had no railing, and rebar stuck out several feet in a few places. Like so much of this dichotomous city, away from the beaches and into the hills and into the favelas, things seemed both under construction and crumbling.

A rooster in a cage sat at the landing at the top, and through the door where Rafaela Silva grew up and her family still lives, she shared a chair with her older sister, Raquel.

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2016/01/08/sports/08olympicsx2/08olympicsx2-1452145887071-articleLarge.jpg
Rafaela Silva with her older sister, Raquel, outside their childhood home in Cidade de Deus, Rio de Janeiro’s most famously violent favela. Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times
Silva, 23, is expected to add another.

“The only medal I don’t have is an Olympic medal,” she said. “To have a chance to win one in front of my family and friends is priceless.”

The floor of the home was cluttered with laundry — mostly judogis, the heavy canvas judo uniforms — and the walls were covered in judo awards. Raquel Silva, 26, is an international judo champion on Brazil’s national team, too, but she fell short of qualifying for the Olympics.

Down on the street, Rafaela and Raquel’s mother, Zenilda, stood in her small storefront, where she sells propane and an assortment of sundries, like soap and rice. Her daughters built strength by carrying propane tanks on their backs.

She came upstairs carrying food for the guests — a pair of poundcakes, loaves of bread and bottles of soda — and apologized for not having homemade treats. Luiz Carlos, her husband and the sisters’ father, was away at his job as a mover, but he would have baked a cake had the family known that company was coming, she said.

When the girls were in grade school, the family escaped neighboring Cidade de Deus (City of God), Rio’s most famously violent favela, to find a safer place. There is less fear of persistent danger here, just a mile away, mostly because the street dead-ends at the top of the hill. Thieves, gunslingers and drug dealers have only one escape route, so they go elsewhere.

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2016/01/08/sports/08OLYMPICSweb6/08OLYMPICSweb6-articleLarge.jpg
Rafaela and Raquel Silva in the home where they grew up and their family still lives. Their coach thought both of them could reach the national team as teenagers. Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times

The girls still found trouble, some of their own making.

“Here, if you don’t hit someone, you will be hit by someone,” Raquel said. “It’s survival.”

Raquel was once expelled for fighting in school. Rafaela frequently fought the neighborhood boys in the street. Three years apart, they sometimes attended different schools.

“We would meet to walk home together, and I would come around the corner, and Rafaela was already in a fight,” Raquel said.

Their parents helped steer the girls through the temptations. A nearby judo gym was one way. It provided structure and diversion.

“Judo has rules,” Raquel Silva said, as Rafaela nodded in agreement. “The street doesn’t.”

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2016/01/08/sports/08olympicsx3/08olympicsx3-articleLarge.jpg
Geraldo Bernardes is a former coach of Brazil’s national team. More than a decade ago, his pupils included the Silva sisters. He immediately saw potential in them. Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times

The inside of Rafaela Silva’s right biceps, hidden under her judogi during competitions, is tattooed with the Olympic rings and a note, in Portuguese: “God knows how much I’ve suffered and what I’ve done to get here.”

Coach Saw Potential

A bit earlier and a few miles away, Silva’s longtime coach, Geraldo Bernardes, described her journey from the slums to the Olympics. Bernardes, with silvery hair and blue eyes, is a former coach of Brazil’s national team. One former pupil is Flávio Canto, a two-time Olympian who won a bronze medal at the 2004 Athens Games and is now a celebrity in Brazil.

In 2003, Canto started Instituto Reação (Reaction Institute), a judo school for all ages and abilities, in Rocinha, Rio’s largest favela. He joined forces with Bernardes, who had his own gyms, including one in Cidade de Deus. They have expanded Instituto Reação into a program with five gyms and 1,250 athletes, including 130 in its “Olympic” program, which Bernardes oversees. (Among the benefactors are the American Ronda Rousey, a 2008 Olympic bronze medalist better known for her dominance of mixed martial arts, who recently donated money to the institute.)

More than a decade ago, Bernardes’s pupils included the young, feisty Silva sisters. He immediately saw potential in them.

“Rafaela was always really aggressive, but in a way that I could direct her in a way that was good for the sport,” he said at Estacio University, where he recently moved his gym to a large open-air pavilion with a metal roof and a padded floor. “She had a lot of energy and a lot of aggressiveness. I saw that her energy could be directed to the sport.”

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2016/01/08/sports/08OLYMPICSweb4/08OLYMPICSweb4-master1050.jpg
Silva’s gym is a large open-air pavilion with a metal roof and a padded floor. Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times

He thought both of them could reach the national team as teenagers. They did. But Raquel became pregnant when she was 15, knocking her out of training for a couple of prime years. (Her daughter, now 10, was on the family’s couch during a recent visit.) Rafaela caught up to her sister and ultimately passed her.

“She could have been better than Rafaela,” Bernardes said. “But she also had knee surgery and was really delayed. Rafaela overcame her.”

Vital Characteristics

Bernardes said that Rafaela Silva, who competes at the 57-kilogram weight class (about 126 pounds), had judo’s vital characteristics: coordination, balance, a long wingspan and a capacity to learn quickly. She was also left-handed, an advantage in judo the way it can be in other combat sports.

But she also had hunger, he said, even in a literal sense. She felt sick during her first training session with him, he recalled, because she had not eaten breakfast.

“Judo requires from the athlete a lot of sacrifice,” Bernardes said. “But in a poor community, they are used to sacrifice. They see a lot of violence; they may not have food. I could see when she was very young that she was aggressive. And because of where she is from, she wanted something better.”

Bernardes told the girls that he would not give them belt exams if they got into trouble at school or on the streets — enough of an incentive to keep them out of most trouble. He helped pay for the girls’ training, including travel to tournaments that the family could not afford.

“I did it at first because I liked it,” Raquel Silva said. “But Geraldo showed us another world. It was a job. It was a profession. That planted a seed.”

Rafaela did not take it as seriously. She still does not like to train. But she earned her black belt at 16 and became a junior world champion.

“Everything changed in 2008 at the world junior championship in Thailand,” she said. “That’s when I realized that this is what I want to do. All my life before then, all my fights were easy. They would last 10 seconds. And I could spend the rest of my time playing. But after the world championships, I realized things could be different.”

At 19, she won silver at the world championships. At 21, she won gold. But the tournament that haunts her was in between, at the 2012 London Olympics.

Then, as now, she was considered a serious medal contender. But Silva was disqualified during a preliminary match for an illegal hold, a technicality related to a recent rule change.
continued next post

GeneChing
01-12-2016, 11:42 AM
http://static01.nyt.com/images/2016/01/08/sports/08OLYMPICSweb5/08OLYMPICSweb5-articleLarge.jpg
The inside of Rafaela Silva’s right biceps is tattooed with the Olympic rings and a note, in Portuguese: “God knows how much I’ve suffered and what I’ve done to get here.” Credit Leslye Davis/The New York Times

“The opponent was a girl from Hungary who I had beaten easily before,” Silva said. “I don’t know if I thought that I should just do this quickly, but the judge gave me one point, then changed it and disqualified me.”

The loss still burns.

“I trained four years for the Olympics, and now in a minute they were gone,” she said.

The immediate aftermath was worse. Some Brazilians on social media mocked her and called her racial epithets, one saying that “the place of a monkey is in a cage.” Silva could not resist responding, and did so with vitriolic name-calling of her own. The Twitter war attracted so much attention that the Brazil Olympic Committee stepped in to admonish the attacks, and judo officials persuaded Silva to stop replying to bigoted critics.

Nearly four years later, she does not regret her actions.

“Not at all,” she said.

Heartbreak in London

The episode nearly made her quit. She had overcome many obstacles to become one of the world’s best, but the closest she came to quitting was after the London Games, Bernardes said.

“She never showed that she would give up on the sport until 2012, when she was disqualified at the Olympics,” he said. “There were a lot of racist comments on social media. Nasty ones. And she answered some of them, fighting in social media, and got really angry. Then she got scared of going out on the streets and being harassed. I was afraid she would give up on the sport.”

Silva took a few months off. Her family worried for her.

“Rafaela got depressed,” Raquel Silva said. “She watched television all day and cried alone in front of the TV. Our mother cooked her favorite things to cheer her up, but that didn’t work.”

Bernardes wanted Rafaela Silva to come to the institute, to resume training and rebuild the fire. When she finally came, she happened upon a presentation by a sports psychologist. Intrigued and inspired, Silva resumed her physical training and added mental training, too. The next spring, her focus back and her frustration funneled, she became world champion.

And now the Olympics have come again, this time to her, just a few miles from home. Bernardes will coach her at the institute. Her sister, a weight class below, will spar with her. Her parents are hoping to get tickets to her matches. A nation will watch, expecting a result to celebrate.

And a neighborhood will cheer her on, to see if a young woman from the crumbling, chaotic streets in the hills can construct one of the unlikeliest Olympic stories for the home team.

Helena Rebello contributed reporting.

I'm looking forward to watching the Judo competition at the Rio Olympics (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68588-2016-Olympics). That and the Beach Volleyball, which I usually disdain, but think will be extraordinary in Rio. ;)

GeneChing
03-14-2017, 03:29 PM
All Japan Judo Federation drops requirement that women’s black belts have white stripe (http://en.rocketnews24.com/2017/03/14/all-japan-judo-federation-drops-requirement-that-womens-black-belts-have-white-stripe/)
Casey Baseel 18 hours ago

https://sociorocketnewsen.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/jb-3.png

Policy shift aligns Japan with international standard.

Just as a judo match involves two competitors, there are two governing bodies for the sport. The International Judo Federation, based in Switzerland, is the controlling body for competitions in the global judo community, while Japan’s All Japan Judo Federation holds dominion over all things judo in the martial art’s native nation.

The two organizations each lay out their own sets of rules on how contests are to be carried out and decided, with even uniform regulations for judoka (judo practitioners) differing between the two. In 1999, for example, the International Judo Federation put an end to the practice of female judoka having to wear black belts with a white stripe running lengthwise along the fabric, as opposed to the pure-black belts used by male competitors, on the grounds that the discrepancy was discriminatory.

However, the All Japan Judo Federation decided to stick with the established norm and continued with the use of the white-striped black belt, which can be seen in the above photo.

On March 13, though, the All Japan Judo Federation’s board of directors announced that it would be abolishing the use of the white-striped belts, and that once the change goes into effect, male and female judoka alike will be using the entirely black belts.

No official reason has been given for the organization’s change in stance. A likely explanation, though, is the continued success of the Japanese women’s Olympic judo team, whose medal count since the 1992 Games (when women’s judo became a medal event) currently sits at 32, two better than the 30 medals claimed by Japanese male judoka in that time frame. Women’s athletics and athletes have also been receiving increasingly prominent media coverage in Japan since the turn of the millennium, and in light of such developments, it seems the All Japan Judo Federation took a moment to reexamine why it had two sets of uniform regulations, and decided that the discrepancy was a relic of a bygone era.

Source: Yahoo! News Japan/Asahi Shimbun Digital via Hachima Kiko

I didn't even know this was a thing and Judo (http://www.martialartsmart.com/judo-jujitsu-styles.html) was my first martial art. Plus MAM sells solid black belts (http://www.martialartsmart.com/belt-with-solid-color.html), belts with white stripes (http://www.martialartsmart.com/belt-with-white-stripe.html), and belts with colored stripes (http://www.martialartsmart.com/belt-with-color-stripe.html). :o

boxerbilly
03-14-2017, 04:38 PM
Great. Based on the photo. Now it will be hard to tell who is a man and who is a women. Liberals defeated the Kodokan. Holy-----.

Jimbo
03-14-2017, 04:57 PM
They look like Sumotori (Sumo wrestlers) to me. Especially the one on the lower right. I suppose the extra weight makes for a lower center of gravity and thus more difficulty in throwing them.

boxerbilly
03-14-2017, 05:26 PM
It is bulls---. The Kodokan is a private dojo. They can decide what is allowed and what is not. But I guess they gave in. Just sh-t. Its not a huge deal but what is next ?

PRIVATE means you ain't allowed or you don't get to bring your bull**** inside. Want to be a member ? Here the rules, regulations and policy book. Don't like it . There is the door. Or better yet. You pay all the expenses and we will bend some things for you. That works too. Yeah, you don't want to pay anything. Just demand.

GeneChing
11-02-2017, 03:12 PM
So tacky. If you're going to host an international games, you can't do this sort of thing.

UAE Apologizes to Israeli Judo Team, But Is it Too Little, Too Late? (https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/97026/uae-apologizes-israeli-judo-team-little-late/#/)
By JNS October 30, 2017 , 9:30 am
“I constantly spread out My hands To a disloyal people, Who walk the way that is not good, Following their own designs.” Isaiah 65:2 (The Israel Bible™)

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/judo-israel.jpg
From left to right, Israeli judo official Moshe Ponte, International Judo Federation President Marius Vizer and UAE judo officials meet on Oct. 28 in Abu Dhabi. (International Judo Federation via Twitter)
By: Adam Abrams/JNS.org

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) officially apologized to Israel on Saturday following a handshake snub during last week’s Abu Dhabi Grand Slam judo tournament. The Arab country did not, however, apologize for the tournament’s ban on Israeli symbols.

In what the International Judo Federation (IJF) referred to as a “historic meeting” on the tournament’s final day, Mohammad Bin Thaloub Al-Darei, president of the UAE’s Judo Federation, along with senior UAE sports official Aref Al-Awani, formally apologized to Israeli Judo Association leader Moshe Ponte “because of the UAE athletes not shaking hands” with Israel’s competitors and congratulated the Israeli team on its success.

According to the IJF, Ponte “thanked his UAE counterpart for the hospitality that was shown” to Israel’s team in Abu Dhabi.

The Arab apology followed an incident in which UAE athlete Rashad Almashjari refused to shake the hand of Israeli athlete Tohar Butbul’s after losing to him in the tournament’s first round. Butbul went on to win a bronze medal in the men’s lightweight category.

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Sasson.jpg
Ori Sasson being snubbed by Egyptian Judoka after Olympic match (YouTube)

The snub mirrored an incident that occurred during the Rio Olympics in 2016, when Egyptian judoka Islam El Shehaby was booed by spectators for refusing to shake the hand of Israeli judoka Ori Sasson, after losing to Sasson in the first round of the men’s over-100 kilograms competition.

Ahead of the Abu Dhabi tournament, organizers banned Israel’s team from donning national symbols and playing the Jewish state’s national anthem, “Hatikvah.” The 12 Israeli athletes competing in Abu Dhabi were also forbidden from including the letters “ISR” on their uniforms to identify their nationality.

“This is not the first time that Israeli teams playing in Gulf have been uniquely forced to give up their national symbols and anthems,” Prof. Joshua Teitelbaum, a senior research fellow at Bar-Ilan University’s Begin-Sadat Center for Strategic Studies, told JNS.org. “This apology by the UAE is too little and too late. It was an apology for not shaking hands, but not for snubbing Israel by not allowing Israeli flags and ‘Hatikvah.’”

Defying the Arab slights, the Israeli athletes took home a total of five medals.

Israeli team member Tal Flicker won a gold medal in the under-66 kilograms category last Thursday. During the medal ceremony, Flicker sang Hatikvah to himself as the IJF flag and anthem played in the background.

“Israel is my country, and I’m proud to be Israeli,” Flicker told reporters. “The anthem that they played of the world federation was just background noise. I was singing Hatikvah from my heart.”

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/tal-flicker.jpg
Israeli judoka Tal Flicker in Abu Dhabi. (Twitter)

“I’m glad we’re here, with or without the flag. As far as we’re concerned, what’s important is having [Israeli] athletes compete on such levels and proving to everyone that there’s no stopping Israel,” said the coach of Israel’s team, Oren Smadja.

Teitelbaum said, “I’m sure Abu Dhabi pays a lot of money to the International Judo Federation, which apparently did not have a strong enough backbone to insist on sportsmanship in sports. It is up to the various international sports federations that there be no discrimination by the host nation. If a nation discriminates, it should be barred from hosting future competitions.”

The UAE “plays a double game” by publicly insulting Israeli athletes, yet maintaining “extensive business and defense relations with Israel, according to foreign sources, but all under the table,” he said.

The Arab nation’s behavior “is kind of a ‘cover’ for its well-developed relations with the Jewish state,” added Teitelbaum.

Leading up to the tournament, Israel’s Minister of Culture and Sport Miri Regev wrote a letter in mid-October to the president of the International Olympic Committee, Thomas Bach, protesting the Arab demand for the Israeli team to appear without national symbols.

“It is the obligation of any country which has the privilege of hosting an international competition to allow the competing athletes to represent the country honorably while ensuring their security,” she wrote.

During the Grand Slam competition hosted in Abu Dhabi in 2015, Israeli judo competitors accepted similar conditions to participate, wearing uniforms in the colors of the International Judo Federation rather than the Israeli flag or anything suggesting their nationality.

GeneChing
08-08-2019, 08:44 AM
WORLD NEWS AUGUST 7, 2019 / 5:33 PM / UPDATED 11 HOURS AGO
Judo helps Japan get to grips with China's expansion in Pacific (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pacific-samoa-judo/judo-helps-japan-get-to-grips-with-chinas-expansion-in-pacific-idUSKCN1UY01N)
Jonathan Barrett
4 MIN READ

APIA, Samoa (Reuters) - In a large church hall near the Samoan parliament, 175-kg (386-lb) judo practitioner Derek Sua is being thrown to the mat by his Japanese coach, a black-belt who is just a third his size.

Sua welcomes the training, usually difficult for athletes in Pacific Ocean islands to secure, but now offered free by Japan’s development assistance agency, to help him qualify for the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.

“It’s not easy, because here in the Pacific for us, especially Pacific islanders, we have limited competition,” Sua said. “Because we need to find funding to travel overseas and compete.”

Sua added that he would train in Japan in August with several other Samoans, following an invitation he described as fostering goodwill between the two nations.

But the offer is also part of a wider diplomatic effort in the Pacific by the United States and its allies, including Japan, to counter the growing influence of China, which has ramped up its sports programs in the region.

Sometimes called “soft” or “cultural” diplomacy, such programs can extend beyond sports to language exchanges and the arts, with the aim of advancing foreign policy goals.

https://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20190808&t=2&i=1416619185&w=1200&r=LYNXNPEF77011
FILE PHOTO: Samoan judoka Derek Sua attends a practice session with his Japanese coach Kohei Kamibayashi at a training facility inside a church hall in Apia, Samoa, July 13, 2019. REUTERS/Jonathan Barrett

Although tiny, the Pacific islands control vast swaths of resource-rich ocean and strategic infrastructure, such as airstrips and ports, provoking interest from China and a counter response from the United States.

Last week, Samoan sports minister Loau Keneti Sio said China had extended an invitation to train a “large contingent” of young athletes in sports, from athletics to badminton and volleyball, later this year.

China had already hosted Samoan athletes ahead of the Olympic-styled Pacific Games, held in Samoa in July, while training chefs and performers for the opening and closing ceremonies, he added.

China has soft power initiatives elsewhere in the Pacific, which include exposing regional table tennis players to the country’s world-class coaches and training regimes.

The judo diplomacy complements similar initiatives from regional allies Australia and New Zealand, which actively use rugby union and league to forge strong ties with Pacific islands, where the football codes are dominant.

Originating in Japan, judo makes use of grip fighting and throws that have proved to be effective techniques for mixed martial art competitions.

On the mats in Samoa, Sua’s coach, Kohei Kamibayashi, said judo was a sport whose most powerful practitioners did not always win the battle.

The Japanese coach said his star Samoan pupil, who competed at the last Olympics in Brazil, must prepare to face bigger opponents in his 100-kg (221-lb) -plus category, where there are no weight limits.

Kamibayashi said he was helping Sua perfect his use of a technique called “seoi-nage”, effective for throwing bigger opponents.

While Samoans were naturally built for a sport like judo, it was a very demanding martial art that was still struggling to win converts on the island, Sua added.

“It can be another dominant sport here in Samoa if a lot of people get interested,” he said.

Reporting by Jonathan Barrett in APIA, Samoa; Editing by Clarence Fernandez

THREADS
2020 Tokyo Olympics (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?64475-2020-Tokyo-Olympics)
Judo (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42938-Judo)
Soft Power (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?39376-Soft-power)

GeneChing
10-24-2019, 08:46 AM
...but such is part of the intrinsic drama of international games...:mad:

NINE MONTHS BEFORE TOKYO OLYMPICS
Iran barred indefinitely from world judo over refusal to face Israelis (https://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-indefinitely-barred-from-world-judo-over-refusal-to-face-israelis/?fbclid=IwAR12d9lDqg2uzCFuZEk92zHE6SYjQ0CLaFvoJtju x77MxYKnpjaWkLDqOTA)
Official suspension handed down by International Judo Federation comes after Iranian judoka said he was ordered to throw match to avoid facing Israeli competitor
By AFP and TOI STAFF
22 October 2019, 7:14 pm 3

https://static.timesofisrael.com/www/uploads/2019/09/000_1JT7OE-e1567329445527-640x400.jpg
Iran's judoka Saeid Mollaei reacts after losing to Belgium's Matthias Casse in the semifinal fight in the men's under-81 kilogram category during the 2019 Judo World Championships in Tokyo on August 28, 2019. (Charly Triballeau/AFP)

The International Judo Federation (IJF) said Tuesday it had banned Iran from competition indefinitely over the country’s refusal to face Israeli competitors.
The federation issued a provisional ban last month while investigating a report that Iran had ordered a judoka to lose deliberately at the world championships to avoid facing Israeli competitor Sagi Muki in the subsequent round.

“Following the events, which occurred during the last World Judo Championships Tokyo 2019, the final suspension of the Iran Judo Federation from all competitions… has been pronounced,” the IJF said in a statement.

The IJF said the suspension will remain in place until the Iran Judo Federation “gives strong guarantees and proves that they will respect the IJF Statutes and accept that their athletes fight against Israeli athletes.”

Iranian fighter Saeid Mollaei, defending his title at the Tokyo World Championships in August, had said he was ordered to throw his semifinal rather than risk facing an Israeli in the final of the under 81kg class.

The Iranian, 27, lost the semifinal and then went on to lose his third-place fight.

https://static.timesofisrael.com/www/uploads/2019/09/AP19257259319779-e1568637248811-640x400.jpg
In this photo taken Sept. 12, 2019, Iranian judoka Saeid Mollaei poses for a portrait photo at an undisclosed southern city of Germany. (AP Photo/Michael Probst)

Mollaei said he had been instructed to withdraw from the competition by the presidents of the Iran Judo Federation and the Iran Olympic committee.

Rejecting the charges, the Iranian federation denied that pressure had been applied to force Mollaei to withdraw from the championships.

However the IJF disciplinary commission examining the case found that Iran’s actions “constitute a serious breach and gross violation of the Statutes of the IJF, its legitimate interests, its principles and objectives.”

Judo is one of Iran’s sporting strong points and the ban comes as a blow just nine months ahead of the Tokyo Olympics.

Tehran is expected to appeal against the IJF decision at the Swiss-based Court for Arbitration of Sport. They have 21 days to do so.

Meanwhile, Culture Minister Miri Regev lauded the IJF’s ban, but said in a statement that she regretted “the heavy price Iranian athletes will have to pay because of their regime’s decisions.”

The IJF said Mollaei had been pressured to lose by Iranian deputy sports minister Davar Zani. Mollaei was also reportedly pressured to bow out by Iranian Olympic Committee president Reza Salehi Amiri, who told him minutes before his semifinal match that Iranian security services were at his parents’ house in Tehran.

https://static.timesofisrael.com/www/uploads/2019/09/000_1JT7OE-1-640x400.jpg
Belgium’s Matthias Casse (in blue) celebrates winning the semifinal fight against Iran’s Saeid Mollaei in the men’s under-81 kilogram category during the 2019 Judo World Championships in Tokyo on August 28, 2019. (Charly Triballeau/AFP)

The IJF said an official from the Iranian embassy in Tokyo pretending to be a coach gained access to a restricted area to coerce the 27-year-old Tehran native to lose the match as he warmed up on the sidelines.

Mollaei fled to Berlin after the championships, where he was hoping to secure a place at the 2020 Olympic games.

Iran does not recognize Israel as a country, and Iranian sports teams have for several decades had a policy of not competing against Israelis. Iranian passports remind holders in bold red they are “not entitled to travel to occupied Palestine.”

One of the most famous cases was that of Arash Miresmaeili, a two-time judo world champion who showed up overweight for his bout against an Israeli at the Olympics in Athens in 2004 and was disqualified.

He was praised by Iran’s then-president Mohammad Khatami and the ultraconservative media and eventually made his way to become the current chief of Iran’s judo federation’s chief.

Miresmaeili told Iranian media at the time he would refuse to fight an Israeli as a gesture of support for Palestine.

According to him, the current ban on the federation is “outside the usual procedure” as the disciplinary committee reviewing the case should have temporarily suspended Iran until reviews were complete and Iran had time to present its defense.

https://static.timesofisrael.com/www/uploads/2019/09/AP_19240467881047-640x400.jpg
Sagi Muki of Israel, top, competes against Matthias Casse of Belgium during a men’s under-81 kilogram final of the World Judo Championships in Tokyo, Wednesday, Aug. 28, 2019. (AP Photo/Koji Sasahara)

THREADS
2020 Tokyo Olympics (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?64475-2020-Tokyo-Olympics)

GeneChing
02-18-2020, 08:37 AM
I earned my BS at SJSU but never trained with their Judo team (I was on the SJSU fencing team). However, I did work for Uchida Sensei as a driver for Laboratory Services, which was a medical sample testing lab. I met with him a few times under that capacity, but not much. The longest meeting was my entrance interview. He liked that Judo had been my first martial art and invited me to train with the team, but respected that I was already dedicated to fencing. He struck me as very cordial, a true gentleman, and a decent boss.

Uchida Legacy Gala (http://uchidalegacygala.com/)

Celebrating Yosh's 100th Birthday

Benefiting San Jose State University Judo

The Uchida Family
Ed Cerna – Elan Multifamily Investments
Robert G. Hisaoka
present

http://uchidalegacygala.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/uchidalogoc-300x168.jpg

March 21, 2020

Fairmont San Jose
170 South Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113

Reception 6pm
Dinner 7pm

Mike Inouye
NBC BayArea
Master of CeremoniesRobert Handa

NBC BayArea
“Coach” Conversations with Yosh

San Jose Taiko
Steve Nakano Trio

Semi-formal

For tickets and sponsorship information, click the button below:

Tickets & Sponsorship
Deadline to purchase tickets is March 6, 2020.

SPONSORS
JUDON – Presenting Sponsors
The Uchida Family 
Eduardo Cerna – Elan Multifamily Investments
Robert G. Hisaoka 
SANDON – Sponsors
Art Evans
Kai Orthodontics / Miraido Village Apartments 

SANDON – Sponsors
Joyce Iwasaki
Eugene Kushnir / Hipeq
John and Donna Mori
Michiyasu Sengoku / Sangikyo Corp
San Jose Sports Authority

MEDIA Sponsors
NBC BayArea

GeneChing
03-10-2020, 07:36 AM
Grandson of the Founder of Judo passed away (https://www.ijf.org/news/show/grandson-of-the-founder-of-judo-passed-away?fbclid=IwAR0lFyKb0Xd7WkftSxQvemXNQw-rWOpsPQiptplAaAVKcGjV1QF2uNrwCNM)
By Nicolas Messner on 09. Mar 2020

It is with deep sorrow we inform you that Honorary President of the Kodokan Judo Institute and All Japan Judo Federation (AJJF), KANO Yukimitsu, passed away on 8th March 2020 at a hospital in Tokyo due to pneumonia. He was 87. Kano Yukimitsu was much more than his titles; he was the grandson of Kano Jigoro, the founder of judo.

https://res.cloudinary.com/duu3v9gfg/image/fetch/t_w_640_auto/https://78884ca60822a34fb0e6-082b8fd5551e97bc65e327988b444396.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.c om/up/2020/03/kano-1583749246-1583749246.jpg

Who does not know that name, Kano, especially in the judo world? Without Master Jigoro Kano, the sport simply would not exist. In 1882 he created judo, when he was only 22 years old. 135 years later, judo became a major Olympic sport and Paralympic sport and an educational tool for the youth of the world. While constantly evolving, it has remained committed to the values that Kano has defined.

During the summer of 2017, the International Judo Federation had the privilege of meeting Kano Yukimitsu. In that exclusive interview he recalled memories of his grandfather and explained his own vision of judo, as Mr. Kano Yukimitsu has also played an important role in judo in Japan as well as in the rest of the world.

Mr. Kano explained that when he said in front of his grandfather that he wanted to find a role model and become like that person later, the founder of judo replied: “You should not try to be like somebody else. You are who you are.“ This is a perfect illustration of how judo can help to build better citizens, to grow a better society. Kano Jigoro was not only teaching the theory, he made sure all could understand the fundamentals and he wanted his students to put his teachings into practice in society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_uYqjIevAw&feature=emb_logo

The whole judo family and the IJF express their deepest condolences to Mr. Kano's family, relatives and friends, to the Kodokan Institute and to the All Japan Judo Federation. Only Mr. Kano's close relatives and Kodokan employees will attend his funeral services with KANO Akashi, his eldest daughter, serving as the chief mourner. Later, a joint funeral will be held by the Kodokan and AJJF. Words of condolence should be addressed to intl@kodokan.org (Kodokan Judo Institute).

Kano Yukimitsu profil

April 1980 – March 2009: Fourth President of Kodokan, Second President of AJJF

September 1980 – October 1995: President of Judo Union of Asia

April 2009 -: Honorary President of Kodokan and AJJF
Condolences to all judoka. Judo (https://www.martialartsmart.com/judo-jujitsu.html) was my first martial art and I still hold its lessons in high regard.

GeneChing
10-29-2020, 10:09 AM
CRIME
International judo competitor uses martial arts to disarm suspect in Kansas City (https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article246750171.html)
BY ANNA SPOERRE
OCTOBER 27, 2020 01:04 PM, UPDATED OCTOBER 27, 2020 02:01 PM

Do you know what to do if you accidentally dial 911? Do you know what information is crucial in an emergency? Here's what you need to know to get the police, fire or ambulance service you need fast. BY MARK HOFFER

A Kansas City man used his professional martial arts training to disarm a man attempting to rob him Monday night, police said.

Josh Henges, of Kansas City, was walking home Monday evening when he felt someone grab his shoulder and press a gun against his back, according to a news release from the Kansas City Police Department.

Henges used to be a member of the USA Judo team. He told police he was heading back from a convenience store around 8:15 p.m. in the 4100 block of Warwick Boulevard when a 20-year-old man came up behind him.

As Henges turned around, the young man held the gun up to Henges’ forehead and told him to hand over his possessions, according to the news release.

The judo competitor and Brazilian jiu-jitsu instructor then grabbed the suspect’s shoulder and disarmed him.

“Henges said he was able to use his training to take the suspect to the ground and restrain him,” the release read.

He called 911 while holding the attempted robber down.

“He was in grabbing range of me,” Henges told police, according to the release. “You don’t have to hurt him. You just hold him in place, and there’s no permanent injury.”

Officers arriving at the scene found the young man pinned beneath Henges. The suspect was taken into custody.

Police later said the weapon was a BB gun. They are expecting charges to be filed soon, according to the Tuesday afternoon release.

“Henges said he has compassion for the suspect and hope he gets the help he needs,” the release read.

threads
Successful-Street-Applications (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?49825-Successful-Street-Applications)

GeneChing
04-25-2021, 10:56 PM
Boy 'brain dead' after being relentlessly thrown by judo coach in central Taiwan (https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4187032)
Boy thrown 27 times, family of injured boy could sue judo coach for negligent homicide
By Keoni Everington, Taiwan News, Staff Writer
2021/04/26 11:09
https://tnimage.s3.hicloud.net.tw/photos/2021/04/26/1619410536-60863e6805d2f.jpeg
Ho throwing Huang (left), Ho holding certificate (right). (Huang Family photo, Facebook photo)
TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — A young boy is fighting for his life and could remain in a vegetative state even if he survives, after he was was thrown nearly 30 times in a judo class last week.

The seven-year-old student from Nanyang Elementary School in Taichung City's Fengyuan District, surnamed Huang (黃), attended his second week of judo classes in the basement of a gymnasium operated by Ruisui Elementary School at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday (April 21). During class, the 67-year old coach, surnamed Ho (何,) ordered a 10-year-old student to perform a shoulder throw on Huang multiple times.

After several throws, Huang began to complain of pain in his feet and head, and pleaded with the coach not to be thrown any further, even vomiting at one point. Unmoved, Ho ordered the child to be thrown 20 times.

https://image.taiwannews.com.tw/photos/2021/04/26/1619407405-6086322d17cf7.jpg
Huang being thrown by older student. (Huang family photo)

In a video of the incident Huang can be seen crying and begging on his knees for the punishment to end. However, Ho then personally throws the child another seven times.

At around 9 p.m., Huang reportedly passed out, turned pale, and became unresponsive. Ho then called for an ambulance that rushed him to Feng Yuan Hospital for emergency treatment, reported Liberty Times.

Doctors found that Huang's injuries resembled those from a car crash and including a severe intracranial hemorrhage, which prompted them to perform an emergency craniotomy. After the operation, doctors declared that Huang was in a "brain dead state," and if he survives, he will likely remain in a vegetative state.

https://image.taiwannews.com.tw/photos/2021/04/26/1619410783-60863f5f3a0f8.jpg
Huang being thrown again as Ho steps into frame (left). (Huang family photo)

When visiting the hospital after the child underwent surgery, Ho initially claimed the child had fallen on his own. It was only after learning about the serious nature of his injuries did Ho admit that he and a student had thrown him many times.

When police took Ho in for questioning on April 23, he claimed the boy had cried when being thrown in previous classes and presumed he was complaining without good reason. Ho was then investigated for negligent bodily harm (過失傷害), before being released without bail.

Cho Chun-chung (卓俊忠), head prosecutor of the Taichung District Prosecutor's Office, said that Huang's parents pressed charges against Ho for negligent bodily harm and that they are not ruling out pressing charges for negligent homicide (過失重傷害) if their son dies, reported UDN. Huang's father said it would take a miracle for him to regain consciousness and he demanded an apology and explanation from Ho.

https://image.taiwannews.com.tw/photos/2021/04/26/1619411040-6086406088343.jpg
Ho ordering Huang to stand up as he cries in pain. (Huang family photo)

https://image.taiwannews.com.tw/photos/2021/04/26/1619410920-60863fe89fa85.jpg
Huang lying on mat after another throw as Ho walks towards him. (Huang family photo)

Makes me sick.

Threads
Martial-Arts-Deaths (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?52484-Martial-Arts-Deaths)

GeneChing
07-13-2021, 09:45 AM
fencing (https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule/sport/fencing)
archery (https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule/sport/archery)
boxing (https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule/sport/boxing)
wrestling (https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule/sport/wrestling)
judo (https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule/sport/judo)
taekwondo (https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule/sport/taekwondo)
karate (https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule/sport/karate)

threads
Fencing (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?9851-Fencing)
Archery (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?66419-Archery)
Boxing (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?54079-Boxing)
Wrestling (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?58216-Wrestling)
Taekwondo (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)
Karate (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?10141-Karate)
Tokyo Olympics (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?64475-Tokyo-Olympics)

GeneChing
07-30-2021, 08:52 AM
I've mentioned this before but I used to work for Uchida sensei at Laboratory Services. Never trained under him though.

TOKYO SUMMER OLYMPICS
At 101, judo coaching great Yosh Uchida still isn’t done helping Olympians (https://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/story/2021-07-25/judo-coaching-great-yosh-uchida-tokyo-olympics)
https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/dims4/default/2b94a04/2147483647/strip/true/crop/1371x938+0+286/resize/840x575!/format/webp/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fec%2F4c%2Fe7f28e6c48 619b91e800ddc3a430%2Fyosh-uchida2.jpg
Prolific judo coach Yosh Uchida still heads San Jose State’s storied program 70 years after assuming the post.(San Jose State Athletics Archives)
BY JORGE CASTILLO STAFF WRITER
JULY 25, 2021 5 AM PT
TOKYO — Yosh Uchida made a promise to Colton Brown in 2016, right after Brown competed in judo for the United States at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics: Qualify for the 2020 Games in Tokyo and I’ll be there.
Attending the Tokyo Olympics would have closed a circle for Uchida. The son of Japanese immigrants and raised in Orange County, he was the U.S. judo team’s coach at the Games in 1964, when the sport made its Olympic debut in its birthplace. The city, the country, the martial art supplied him more than a lifetime’s worth of memories.

Uchida was 96 years old in 2016. He would be a centenarian by the next opening ceremony. People his age usually don’t make plans four years in advance. But Uchida reached his 100th birthday in April 2020 and bought his ticket to the Nippon Budokan to fulfill his pledge.

The COVID-19 pandemic postponed the Games a year. Still, Uchida, at 101, was ready to make the long journey to watch Brown — until spectators were banned from most Olympic venues.

The gut punch precluded what would have been a fitting conclusion to Uchida’s international judo life.

Over decades, through tireless advocacy, he became the godfather of judo in the United States, and he still heads San Jose State’s storied program 70 years after assuming the post.

He pushed for the implementation of weight classes in the sport, a necessary step for inclusion in the Olympics, and helped bring about its breakthrough on the international scene. He’s received both the Order of the Sacred Treasure and the Order of the Rising Sun from the Japanese government for his work.

But five years after his Rio de Janeiro promise, Uchida will be stuck thousands of miles away at home in Northern California while Brown, the 17th of his San Jose State pupils to reach the sport’s top competition, takes the mat Wednesday in the men’s 90-kilogram weight class. Uchida hopes to watch the match on television.

“I’m going to be glued to it,” Uchida said, “unless it’s late.”

::

Uchida wore a blue San Jose State Spartans jacket over a black sweater in his living room for a recent video call. With the help of his assistant, he keenly relayed his thoughts and experiences. After spending a year inside his home, he was a seasoned Zoomer — more than 120 people joined him on a Zoom call to celebrate his 100th birthday, and he held classes on judo history during the pandemic. Finally, COVID-19 vaccinations have slowly expanded his bubble.

He had 15 people visit him for a backyard barbecue for his 101st birthday. His daughter traveled from Hawaii recently for the first time since the pandemic began, and he enjoyed his first meal at a restaurant in more than a year while she was in town. Japanese, of course.

https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/dims4/default/feacf85/2147483647/strip/true/crop/614x768+0+0/resize/840x1051!/format/webp/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2F98%2Fdf%2F29f53bc940 bd93eb5c97d348d7b6%2Foly2.png
Yosh Uchida founded the National Collegiate Judo Assn. in 1962 and coached the first U.S. Olympic judo team at the 1964 Tokyo Games.(San Jose State Athletics Archives)

“This man will not die of COVID,” said Jan Cougill, his assistant since 2008 and a family friend for 56 years. “He will die from boredom if we don’t get socialization.”

Uchida was born in Calexico in 1920, two years after the deadliest pandemic in modern history ravaged the country, and raised in Garden Grove. His father grew strawberries and tomatoes. His mother pushed him into judo when he was 10 years old.

“I was a Nisei, born in the United States,” Uchida said, “and she wanted me to know something about Japanese culture.”

He attended San Jose State before he was drafted for World War II and sent to segregated military camps in the Midwest while his family was split among Japanese incarceration camps. He served for four years and married his late wife, Mae, at the Poston prison camp in Arizona in 1943.

“My parents were in concentration camps because they were suspected of being spies,” Uchida said. “If you know my parents, they had very little education. They knew nothing about spying.”

He returned to San Jose State in 1946, finished his degree in biological science the next year and stayed at the school to coach the judo team.

Japanese educator Kano Jigoro created judo, a system of unarmed combat, in 1882. Its origins can be traced to jujitsu. The participants — judoka — are taught to use an opponent’s force against them. The goal is to cleanly throw, pin or master the opponent. Strikes of any kind are not allowed. It is intended to train the mind and body.

Uchida was a small judoka, topping out at 5 feet 2, 135 pounds, but his presence off the mat stretched internationally. While establishing himself as a prominent businessman in the Japanese American community — he opened 41 medical laboratories in the Bay Area — he championed the sport he credits for cementing his identity.

continued next post

GeneChing
07-30-2021, 08:53 AM
I walked into San Jose State and I thought that I knew everything. He taught me that I really don’t know much.

COLTON BROWN, YOSH UCHIDA’S PUPIL AND U.S. OLYMPIAN

He started the San Jose Buddhist Judo Club and another in Palo Alto. He was the director of the first national Amateur Athletic Union championships in 1953. He founded the National Collegiate Judo Assn. in 1962. A year later, he helped initiate the first nationwide high school interscholastic judo championships. A year after that, he coached the four-man U.S. team in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.

“He had a wonderful ability to organize things, and I don’t think that judo would’ve become a national collegiate sport, a national high school sport, a national open sport, if it didn’t have somebody with Yosh’s organizational skills,” said Ben Nighthorse Campbell, a San Jose State graduate and one of the four American judoka at the 1964 Games. “It wouldn’t have grown that fast in the 1950s and ’60s.”

Campbell, who would become a U.S. senator from Colorado, was forced to withdraw from the open weight class in 1964 after tearing the ACL in his knee in his second match. James Bregman emerged from the middleweight division with a bronze medal, the first of 16 Olympic medals won by Americans in judo.

https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/dims4/default/830d0e1/2147483647/strip/true/crop/1500x1198+0+0/resize/840x671!/format/webp/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2F3f%2Fd7%2F94d1ca8846 bb8a52b3837f925687%2Fyosh-uchida.jpg
Yosh Uchida, center, coached the four-man U.S. judo entry in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics: from left, George Harris, James Bregman, Paul Maruyama and Ben Nighthorse Campbell.(San Jose State Athletics Archives)

Knowing that Mr. Uchida is not here but he’s still going to be watching, in a sense, that means that he’s with me.

COLTON BROWN

Mike Swain took bronze at the 1988 Seoul Games after becoming the first American man to win the judo world championships in 1987. A New Jersey native, he enrolled at San Jose State upon qualifying for the 1980 Moscow Olympics, which the United States boycotted after the Soviets invaded Afghanistan. By that time, Uchida’s program was an unparalleled powerhouse. Swain didn’t think twice.

“He was very demanding,” said Swain, who became a coach with the program after qualifying to compete in four Olympics. “Wherever we were going, you had to travel with a suit and tie, and you always got there really early. He was all about discipline. He was the coach of the San Jose State judo team, but he was more of a mentor.”

Brown, also a New Jersey native, met Uchida in 2009 when he arrived at San Jose State as a teenager. Uchida was approaching 90, but the two connected.

“I walked into San Jose State and I thought that I knew everything,” Brown said. “He taught me that I really don’t know much.”

Brown visited Uchida’s office nearly every day. They regularly ate meals together. Their talks focused not on the sport but on life. On education, on preparing Brown for the day when judo would be in the rearview mirror.

On the mat, Brown helped extend San Jose State’s national judo dominance. The school has won 48 of the 59 men’s National Collegiate Judo Assn. team championships and 24 women’s team championships since women’s competition began in 1975 — the most titles for a school in any American collegiate sport ever.

Brown was a three-time national champion. He rose to team captain — chosen by Uchida — and graduated in 2015. He reported to Brazil the next summer representing the United States, with Uchida in the crowd. He won his first match but lost his second and was eliminated.

Six American judoka competed that year. Travis Stevens won the country’s one medal — a silver in the half-middleweight division. This time, Brown, 29, is one of four Americans and the only man. He’s scheduled to fight at the Nippon Budokan on Wednesday against Liechtenstein’s Raphael Schwendinger. Brown, ranked 28th in the world, is the favorite over the 117th-ranked Schwendinger.

Competitors are guaranteed a medal with four wins by the end of the day. Five victories and Brown would become the second American to earn an Olympic judo gold medal.

“Knowing that Mr. Uchida is not here but he’s still going to be watching, in a sense, that means that he’s with me,” Brown said. “Him being on this earth for this long and being coherent enough to still take interest in me and know that and support me, it means the world to me.”

Brown hasn’t seen Uchida since before the pandemic. He was supposed to attend Uchida’s 100th birthday celebration in April 2020 before it was canceled, and he plans on visiting sometime after the Olympics.

Uchida might be coaching again by then. He wants to return to San Jose State’s dojo — named after him in 1997 — if it reopens this fall.

https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/dims4/default/d01df8b/2147483647/strip/true/crop/1280x853+0+0/resize/840x560!/format/webp/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fb7%2F64%2F79533f1147 8fb20ade0fb94fe8ac%2Fuchida1.png
Yosh Uchida plans to coach again in the fall if San Jose State’s dojo reopens.(San Jose State Athletics Archives)
Uchida’s checklist isn’t complete. He’s worked with San Jose State President Mary Papazian in recent years to create an exchange program between the school — one of six official U.S. judo Olympic training centers — and Japanese universities. The timeline is unknown, but he’d like to see his efforts come to fruition before he turns 110. Brown isn’t betting against him.

“I didn’t know if he was still going to be here after 2016, and here he is,” Brown said. “He’s still kicking. He’s lived a spectacular life and he’s still going. He’s still going strong.”

Jorge Castillo

Jorge Castillo covers the Dodgers for the Los Angeles Times.

threads
Tokyo-Olympics (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?64475-Tokyo-Olympics)

GeneChing
08-02-2021, 09:39 AM
Read my latest feature for YMAA: Olympic Karate: A New Martial Art Enters the Ring (https://ymaa.com/articles/2021/08/olympic-karate-a-new-martial-art-enters-the-ring)

https://ymaa.com/sites/default/files/images/article/articles-20210802-olympic-karate.jpg

threads
Karate (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?10141-Karate)
Tokyo Olympics (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?64475-Tokyo-Olympics)
Tae-Kwon-Do (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)
Olympic-Wushu (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?61109-Olympic-Wushu)

GeneChing
08-08-2021, 09:02 AM
Olympics-Judo-Riner shines even as Japan judokas win record gold (https://www.metro.us/olympics-judo-riner-shines-even-as/)

By Tetsushi Kajimoto
Posted on August 7, 2021

https://www.metro.us/wp-content/uploads/Reuters_Direct_Media/USOnlineReportSportsNews/tagreuters.com2021binary_LYNXMPEH7601F-BASEIMAGE.jpg

TOKYO (Reuters) – Japanese judokas achieved a record gold medal rush for the host country at the Tokyo Games, but it was France’s Teddy Riner who stole the show at the home of judo in the end.

Of the 14 weight categories for the men and women, Japan won nine golds, a silver and a bronze in the individual contests in Tokyo – a record haul since judo became an Olympic event for men in 1964 and for women in 1992.

However, the feeling of exaltation among Japanese judokas quickly faded after they suffered a shock loss https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/judo-japan-france-compete-gold-first-judo-team-event-2021-07-31 against Riner-led France 1-4 in the mixed team event on the final day of the judo contest.

“This is the reality in the world. The world of judo is evolving fast,” Kosei Inoue, the head coach of the Japanese judo national team, told reporters.

“I’m really frustrated as we ended up in the second place and couldn’t live up to expectations, although I’m the happiest man on earth to have worked with such wonderful athletes.”

Japanese judokas have a big job to do if they want to outperform their Tokyo Games results at the Paris 2024, he added.

Confronting Japan will likely be French judokas led by Riner, who plans to return to the mat for his fourth Games in his home country.

The 32-year-old French heavyweight legend had to settle for the bronze medal https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/judo-frances-riner-suffers-shock-defeat-hunt-3rd-straight-judo-gold-2021-07-30 after failing to win a third consecutive Olympic gold in the men’s +100kg individual contest against Tamerlan Bashaev of the Russian Olympic Committee.

A win at Tokyo’s Budokan, the arena built to host judo’s debut at the 1964 Games, would have matched the record held by Japanese great judoka Tadahiro Nomura.

Still, the French win in the team event helped bring Riner a tally of three golds and two bronze medals from his Olympics appearances. Riner said he was happy to win both bronze for the individual and gold for the team event.

“It’s my third Olympic gold medal, my fifth medal at an Olympics. I think this is very, very… important to win here in the country of judo during the Olympic Games in Tokyo at the Budokan. It’s just amazing,” Riner told reporters.

“This is a dream, we win the final (against the) Japanese team. Wow.”

(Reporting by Tetsushi Kajimoto; Editing by Lincoln Feast)

Threads
Tokyo-Olympics (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?64475-Tokyo-Olympics)
Judo (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42938-Judo)
Paris-Olympics (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68366-2024-Paris-Olympics)

GeneChing
03-02-2022, 09:09 AM
February 27, 2022
1:57 AM PST
Last Updated 3 days ago
Putin suspended as honorary president of International Judo Federation (https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/putin-suspended-honorary-president-international-judo-federation-2022-02-27/)
Reuters

1 minute read
https://www.reuters.com/resizer/ZhOSbIy8Sr1YPxubpAxwPckfPV8=/1200x0/filters:quality(80)/cloudfront-us-east-2.images.arcpublishing.com/reuters/JRM2EVU3CFL2JGYOFU7ONK5FOI.jpg
Russian President Vladimir Putin speaks about authorising a special military operation in Ukraine's Donbass region during a special televised address on Russian state TV, in Moscow, Russia, February 24, 2022, in this still image taken from video. Russian Pool/via REUTERS TV

Feb 27 (Reuters) - Russian president Vladimir Putin has been suspended as honorary president of the International Judo Federation (IJF), the sport's governing body announced on Sunday, because of his invasion of Ukraine.

Russia's invasion by land, air and sea on Thursday followed a declaration of war by Putin.

A judo blackbelt, the 69-year-old is a keen practitioner of the discipline and has co-authored a book titled "Judo: History, Theory, Practice".

"In light of the ongoing war conflict in Ukraine, the International Judo Federation announces the suspension of Mr Vladimir Putin's status as Honorary President and Ambassador of the International Judo Federation," the IJF said in a statement.

The IJF on Friday said it had cancelled a May 20-22 event in Russia.

"The International Judo Federation announces with regret the cancellation of the 2022 Grand Slam in Kazan, Russia," IJF President Marius Vizer said.

Register now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com

Reporting by Aadi Nair in Bengaluru; Editing by Tom Hogue

threads
Ukraine (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?72272-Ukraine)
Martial-Arts-Politicians (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?65916-Martial-Arts-Politicians)

GeneChing
06-23-2023, 08:14 AM
90-Year-old Earns Judo Belt Level Reached By Only 6 People in the Nation (https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/90-year-old-earns-judo-belt-level-reached-by-only-6-people-in-the-nation/)
By Andy Corbley - Jun 20, 2023

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Michael-Leigh-the-judoka-696x414.jpg
(left) Michael Leigh the judoka stands with his ninth dan, (right) Leigh performing a foot sweep on his opponent; note the extreme flex in his right foot—needed to apply maximum force to sweep his opponent’s planted foot.

A 90-year-old master who’s still limber enough to get on the mat every once in a while has just been awarded his ninth degree, or dan, in Judo.

Only 6 individuals in the UK hold a ninth dan, and Michael Leigh is the oldest judoka in the country to reach what is the second-highest rank in the sport.

Michael Leigh set up the Kin Ryu Judo Club in Crawley, West Sussex, in 1976 after taking up the martial art in 1955 in London and acting as a backup on the UK ’64 Olympic team.

He first discovered the sport while working in the Royal Air Force, after he stumbled on a judo book in a charity shop written by the co-founder of the London Judo Society. He thought it “looked interesting”.

He went on to become the chairman of British Judo for two terms, a national coach, and an international referee.

“When I heard the news I couldn’t quite take it in,” Leigh wrote for his club’s news section. “Knowing that there are only five other people in the UK who have been awarded 9th dan, I find myself amongst peers I greatly admire and respect. I appreciate this recognition of my lifetime of commitment to the amazing sport of Judo and I will hold the grade with great pride and honour.”

Leigh’s school became the largest in the UK at one point, with 520 members in three locations: Crawley, Horley, and Horsham.

“I’ve had a very interesting life, I’ve been to about 160 countries,” he told the BBC, adding that it had been a “wonderful journey”.

“I’m tempted to go on the mat but until my current disabilities go away I don’t think I’ll be able to,” he said. “I miss it very much, but everything has a beginning, middle, and end.”

After obtaining the black belt, judokas move onto the ten dan levels. The last four are generally honorary, with judges at the International Judo Federation taking into consideration their lifelong accomplishments.

Judo is a grappling martial art that involves using leverage and grips to throw opponents to the ground and can be physically punishing. Perhaps the most famous Judo practitioner in popular culture was the former UFC Women’s Bantamweight Champion Rhonda Rousey.

In one respect, Rousey and Leigh have more than just their martial skill in common—both have helped make the sport more inclusive.

As a silver citizen, Leigh has organized championships in the UK for older judokas and a special needs Judo program.

Although “more of an oracle” now, Martin Rivers who co-manages the Crawley Judo club said Leigh still gets on the mat from time to time, and certainly doesn’t look a day over 75.

Give-it-up-to-the-elderly!!!!! (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?57037-Give-it-up-to-the-elderly!!!!!)