PDA

View Full Version : Rolled my ankle

Chief Fox
08-28-2006, 07:50 AM
Yesterday during my kung fu class at my sifu's house I rolled my ankle. :(

My sifu was demonstrating a combination technique finishing with the sweep. My foot was rooted with a large amout of weight on it and the ankle rolled.

My sifu felt terrible. I said, this happens. We're practicing a physical activity that is designed to injure your opponent. We can be as careful as we want to be but there is always the risk of injury.

It is a bummer though. I was going to go to my first BJJ class this week too. Oh well, maybe it will be more like 3 weeks.

Another bummer about the injury was the material my training partners worked on after I got hurt. I'm sitting there with ice on my ankle while they were having a blast doing some cool ground techniques.

Looks like Ill be doing pushups, pullups, abdominals and some upper body isometrics for a little while.

MasterKiller
08-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Tape it up and go to BJJ. Odd are, you won't be doing any ankle locks the first few weeks.

Chief Fox
08-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Tape it up and go to BJJ. Odd are, you won't be doing any ankle locks the first few weeks.

I would but I can't put my full weight on it yet.

It will be my first introductory class and I don't want to show up all gimppy.

cjurakpt
08-28-2006, 08:46 PM
1) rest it: you need to allow the entire inflammatory response to work its way through from acute to chronic to gone - start up too early and it can get stuck in this never ending cycle of sub-acute with chronic flair-ups

2) rehab it: even if it's one appointment with a good manually based PT, osteopath, chrio, acupun/tui na person - good manual and some simple f/u rehab activities will go a long way to restablishing the normal neuromuscular function in that area

bottom line, don't jerk around with ankle sprains, especially if they are bad enough that you can't bear weight initially; ankles are the first line of defense the postural system employs to maintain verticality in gravity - the proprioceptors in the ankle joints are the first to sense a shift in center of mass, and, because they are velocity sensitive, the first to trigger an adaptative response by the muscles arounsd the ankle to keep you in your base of support; if the proprioceptors are screwed up from an injury, they can't accurately assess the situation, and either become hyporeactive, meaning they are too slow and tell the muscles to fire to late: this either strains the muscles further because now they have a worse lever arm to correct you with (easier to correct for smaller perturbations), or they mis out entirely and you have to resort to changing the angle of the hip joints, which is a much larger, slower more energy consumtive move which is more likely to result in over correction; or they are hyperreactive, ausing the muscles to be in a constant "on" mode, which creates more tension, and more inflammation and further dysfunction

not to sound pedantic, but I can't stress this enough - you may be fine now, but it can come back and bite you in the butt later in life (cause these things can eventually become chronic and just live as part of the postural system), especially when your eyesight gets worse and you can't use your vision to compensate as well as before, and now you have poor vision and bad ankle proprioception - not a good combo

so be good to your ankles...

5Animals1Path
08-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Take cjurapkt's advice. I can't tell you how many times I've been a bonehead and let a joint injury go cause I wanted to do something. I can now thank myself for a good bit of knee pain on a cold day for that.