PDA

View Full Version : water

racerX
08-29-2006, 08:46 AM
hello everyone,
Living in florida it's been very hot to say the least,I started drinking seltzer water instead of regular water.I love the taste and carbonation burn durring training.Anyhow are there any pro or cons to drinking seltzer water?
thanks.

BruceSteveRoy
08-29-2006, 10:35 AM
carbonated beverages deplete calcium and if you are drinking a lot of it can make your bones more likely to break. but i am not quite sure what constitutes a lot.

David Jamieson
08-29-2006, 11:03 AM
that's true if phosphates are added. you will pee out the calcium and it will not change how calcium is absorbed in the digestive tract and stomach.

softdrinks are a no no, carbonated water I am not certain about, you are probably better off with straight up water though. Anyway, if you check the label, look for phospates. If they are in it, then don't bother with it.

If it's natural carbonation, hen it's just C02 and that is generally released from your body the same as you let it out with each breath. :)

charyuop
08-29-2006, 11:09 AM
When I used to go to gym, my trainer would suggest a little of carbonated water to fight lactic acid.

David Jamieson
08-29-2006, 11:39 AM
baking soda (bicarbonated soda) actually does eliminate Lactic acid. a lot of long distance cyclists and runners will use it to get rid of lactic acid it's true. However, it may make you vomit as well.

a little in water is probably the way to go. :p

CLFNole
08-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Personally I like gatorade when I train and since most pro and college football teams also use it it must be good.

David Jamieson
08-29-2006, 01:24 PM
gatorade is not bad to use after a workout. Accelerade is actually a better product. When gatorade conducted tests with pro athletes to determine which drink was better to get back bodily fluids lost during exercise, tehy were beaten out at something like a 15% better ration against the accelerade product which also includes protien in it's recipe.

I do not work for either of these companies in any capacity, I am just saying. But Gatorade will do in a pinch, afetr a workout, during a workout, plain water is likely better in my opinion just because you are passing it through anyway while you're still sweating.

CLFNole
08-29-2006, 01:28 PM
I kind of tend to use both gatorade and water during a water. I alternate during and drink more gatorade after. I found drinking some gatorade during my workout makes me feel better, but maybe its just me.

PlumDragon
08-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Personally I like gatorade when I train and since most pro and college football teams also use it it must be good.Ad Populum.

Su Lin
08-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Is Gatorade made from real alligators?

racerX
08-29-2006, 03:28 PM
gave some seltzer water to my bro's,one puked a minute later kinda of funny.:D

SPJ
08-29-2006, 06:40 PM
I remember when I was in Germany.

There is always a beer menu in restaurants.

I have to order a beer to go with food.

Coke was in a smaller can.

Water or iced water has to be specially ordered. They looked at me weird if I asked for a glass of water instead of beer.

Leitung Wasser.

:D

Oso
08-30-2006, 08:15 AM
gatorade is very often overused. the average kung fu class workout doesn't generally demand the replinishment of minerals or carbohydrates in order to keep you going. depends on your workout though, you might be sweating your balls off. there is plenty of documentation on tests done with specific types of athletes and how much they need to intake during a workout that you could find the information and compare your workout to...say, an olympic level judo person or a competition cyclist. you'd probably find that you don't need the gatorade.

yu shan
08-30-2006, 08:26 AM
Germany is my kind of place. Anyway, I just drink water. The craze here with wimens on diets are these flavored waters, note they are all coke and pepsi junkies. I guess this flavored water helps them kick the habit.

charyuop
08-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Not many people know that Gatorade the way it is used is basically useless. Gatorade should be drunk a good half hour before the work outs to have effect. Many people drink during or immediately after...the body needs some time to absorb Gatorade.

CLFNole
08-30-2006, 12:03 PM
IF you are training for 3 hours than you can drink it during the workout and after as well. Pro athletes drink it during their games afterall.

Mr Punch
08-31-2006, 07:41 AM
I drink small amounts of water in training, and after. Only about 1 hour after do I drink any large amount. I always drink filtered water at the gym and have a home Brita filter at home. Dunno if if it actually does any good but it makes the horrible water in our apartment taste just lovely.

I usually drink a protein shake immediately after training, and green tea later.

Ume boshi (salted plums) taste great with rice and help to keep lactic acid down along with takuan pickles.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-31-2006, 02:38 PM
i drink about a gallon and a half of water daily.

i dont pay much attention to when ... i just drink it.

Pork Chop
08-31-2006, 02:56 PM
i hear that nestle water's pretty nasty.

i'm having a hard time kicking soda; but i've been trying to drink sprite at lunch instead of any colas. still managed to break down and get a diet coke this afternoon tho. :(

otherwise it's ozarka 24/7

FuXnDajenariht
08-31-2006, 03:30 PM
only problem i have with seltzer water is that **** gives u gas. :(

TenTigers
08-31-2006, 04:38 PM
stay away from diet soda in any shape or form, nutrasweet aka aspertame is poison. turns to formaldehyde at 70 deg f your body is 98.6 do the mathe. Your body absorbs this on a cellular level. Do a search and then tell me if you want a diet coke.

Pork Chop
08-31-2006, 07:24 PM
tomatoes produce about a thousand times more formaldehyde. as much as the anti-aspartame crowd wants to hate, 16 years of research have proven none of it.

i mostly don't like diet colas for 3 reasons- 1. they stain your teeth. 2. they can lead to kidney stones. 3. the calcium breakdown thing.