PDA

View Full Version : Differences between the different Bagua lineages

northstar
07-28-2001, 01:45 PM
How big is the difference between the different Bagua lineages? Is it possible to study more than one of them at more or less the same time without ending up with confusion instead of skill?

WingLamStudent
07-31-2001, 01:21 AM
I think that it is possible but I would not really want to confuse myself like that. Bagua is a system of principles not a system of techniques. It is the principles that are the same between the different systems and not necessarily the palms. That is why the palm changes are slightly different between the different systems.

Mark

The Willow Sword
07-31-2001, 07:00 AM
it is not really known how or where it was started. it is believed that it came from a Taoist monk,,and taught it to dong hai-chaun,,who then popularized the system in the late 1700's and early 1800's. but the system itself is far older than we might realize....dong hai-chuan had many students and one of his students Yin fu modified the system and called it YIn Style bagua. but even before that dong hai-chuans students were spreading the art everywhere,,,some believe that it went to shaolin temple in southern province and was taught there. others dispute this for it is where our lineage comesfrom. the lineages all stem from dong Hai-chuan and go out to famous names like sun lu tang and lu shui tian.
pa kua is pakua the principles are the same no matter what the lineage is. at Shaolindo we have a great system of pakua there and the other school who has focused on it mainly is master park bok nam.
i like ours and i do like what i have read about master parks bagua as well.....hope the lineage terms help.
Many respects,,Willow sword

Whatever you think i am or want me to be,,, i am.
oh and,,,Jesus loves you, everyone else thinks you are an a$.

Eight Diagram Boxer
07-31-2001, 03:32 PM
I've only studied Yin Pai bagua from the Yin Fu lineage, and I really don't know if it would be confusing. There's a great lineage chart though in Yang Jwing-Ying's Emei Baguazhang book for anyone looking for that info.

Knowing others is wisdom, Knowing the self is enlightenment- Lao Tzu

Crimson Phoenix
08-01-2001, 01:12 AM
Bagua lineage? ooohhh boy, forget it, it's very well known that Dong Hai Chuan changed his teaching from student to student according to their background and skills...as someone stated, when Dong was teaching bagua was not a complete system, since Dong would "only" teach some technical sequences, principles, and tactics...and they could vary from one student to the other, which made many people say that there are as many branches as Dong had students!
However they all do share the same roots, which makes them bagua...don't try to learn too many branches, it could indeed mess your mind up!
Stick to one or two, and train hard...better go far in one branch that nowhere in many of them :-)

Rockwood
08-01-2001, 06:18 PM
Hi Willow Sword-
You mention that your teacher knows a southern style of Baguazhang. Who did he learn that from? This is quite unusual as Baguazhang is normally a northern style, centered in Beijing, but some guys did take it to the south in the 20s and 30s, Fu Zhensong and some others.
Have you ever read the research in Pa Kua Chang Journal, published in the early 1990s? They were quite thorough, but I don't recall much about southern Baguazhang.
-Jess

GeneChing
07-12-2018, 09:06 AM
READ Fu Taijiquan: A Fusion of Internal ArtsBy Liang Keming with Gigi Oh and Gene Ching in our SUMMER 2018 issue (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=1420).

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/upload/2684_KFM2018-Summer-Cover.jpg