PDA

View Full Version : Seminar w/ Feng Zhiquiang this weekend

Fu-Pow
07-15-2001, 09:01 PM
I'm attending an all weekend seminar w/ Feng Zhiquiang this weekend. Sorry, they aren't accepting any more people or I'd give the info for those in the area. The seminar includes Hun Yuan Chi Gung, Taiji Ruler, Push Hands and Fa Jing excercises. I'm totally excited. It was kind of pricey but I think it will be worth it. Anyone on the forum attended one of his seminars before? I'm wondering what to expect. I've never attended a MA seminar before with a high level master. Anyone have any suggestions so that I can get the most out of it...I'm expecting a lot of people to be there.....
Thanks in advance..

Fu-Pow

http://www.fongs-kungfu.de/assets/images/lionhead.gif

"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

MasterPhil
07-16-2001, 04:45 PM
Hi Fu-Pow,

I never attended Feng Zhiquiang's seminars but have heard of him. I participated to many seminars in the past, ranging from a few hours to a weekend-long. Though it was a lot more expensive, the weekend-long seminar was by far the one I enjoyed the most. During the course of the weekend, you get to meet many other cma from all avenues of life in a friendly and relaxed environment. Most are very serious about their training (unlike what you'll find in a large school setting) which is always refreshing.

In my experience, the closer you are to the style/content/teacher, the more you will get out of it. Don't expect to master push-hands if you go to a push-hands seminar but have never done taichi before. On the other hand, if you've trained in push-hands for many years, most of the content in the seminar will be already known. It may seem like a waste of time but a good presenter will always give something of value to all participants ie if you have more experience, he/she will give you help with a particular hurdle in your practice that was giving you problems before. But some seminars are also unfortunately just an excuse to raise money.

I don't have any specific suggestions except for a general note of sort. People should always make sure they are in a decent, all-around shape before attending. It is sad to be in a "high-level" seminar and see some people struggle with their basic stances, can't hold postures for more than a few seconds, or are always out of breath.

I only had general ramblings on the subject of seminars. Sorry I couldn't help you more Fu-Pow. Maybe somebody else will before the weekend. In all cases, you should have a blast. I wish you sun and clouds with a light breeze all weekend. Enjoy and train hard!

ST

Surrounded by chaos, the true taoist laughs...

Mojo
07-16-2001, 07:29 PM
As with any internal art it is important to feel what's going on inside the instructors body as he moves through the form and as he does the fa-jing exercises.
So, it is important that you request to feel his body, yes, I mean putting your hands on his body as he moves. Most Chen style intructors will allow you to do this, so you can learn properly.

Kumkuat
07-21-2001, 07:17 PM
So, how did the seminar go? BTW, who is your teacher, Fu-Pow?

Fu-Pow
07-22-2001, 08:55 PM
The seminar was really cool. It was a two day deal. Both days we started by doing 1.5 hours Hun Yuan Chi Gung, which I guess is based on Hsing Yi meditative stuff, standing post etc. . Then we did a Taiji ruler set, which is supposed to train silk reeling. We broke for lunch and we came back and did solo push hands, 1 arm push hands, 2 hand push hand and 2 person walking push hands.

I've never done so much Taiji over one weekend in my whole life!!!

Grandmaster Feng was a really nice guy. I only got to push with him for a few seconds so I didn't really get the feel of it. I'd heard it was like you had no root. Most of the time I got to push with one of Master Feng's senior student Yaaron Siedman. He was very good and very knowledgeable.

I'd recommend one of Master Feng's seminars to everyone. It was a very intense and very cool experience.

BTW, my teacher is Harrison Moretz. He teaches out of the Taoist Studies Institute in Seattle. You probably haven't heard of him because he is not really trying to become famous. He is one of Master Feng's senior students.

Taiji is not my main art (as of now) but I'm slowly getting into it.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the seminar, my teacher or whatever.

Fu-Pow

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,
CLF:The Dynamic Art of Fighting

patriot
07-23-2001, 03:04 PM
Yaaron Siedman is NOT a senior student of FENG. Neither is your teacher. In the US, the only recognized lineage disciples are Zhang, Yang Yang, and maybe this elderly lady in Seattle.

Kevin Wallbridge
07-23-2001, 04:12 PM
By "the elderly lady in Seattle," I presume you mean Gao Fu, who is without a doubt an inner-door disciple of Feng.

I wasn't aware that "senior student" and "lineage disciple" where considered the same thing. I understood that a person could be senior (xihing) without being a disciple (tudi). Is this terminology familiar to anyone else?

"The heart of the study of boxing is to have natural instinct resemble the dragon" Wang Xiangzai

wujidude
07-23-2001, 06:05 PM
Kevin is correct. Lineage disciples are not necessarily the same as senior students in martial arts. Chen Zhonghua (Joseph Chen) of Edmonton is a 19th-generation lineage disciple of Feng Zhiqiang. Feng in turn is an 18th-generation disciple of the Chenshi taijiquan, a student of Chen Fake. Yaron Seidman is a 20th-generation disciple of Chen Zhonghua.

What matters ultimately to the student (besides their own diligence in practice) is the quality of the teaching, from whomever the source. In addition to experience and skill with the martial art, the teacher must have the understanding and ability to communicate the understanding of the art. Yaron Seidman's understanding of Feng's art and ability to teach it are very good, as are his translation skills. Chen Zhonghua's understanding, ability to teach and translation skill are even better.

Kumkuat
07-23-2001, 06:55 PM
I have a question about the taiji ruler since I'm not really familiar with it. How is the ruler shaped? Is it Y-shaped? Do you apply chinna to yourself? Thanks.

Fu-Pow
07-23-2001, 09:51 PM
I'm not sure what this formality has to do with anything. If you are senior student and not a disciple does is mean that the teacher is not going to teach you everything? What is the point in that? My teacher Harrison has been a student of Feng's for a very long time. But he is not a disciple? Why? What's the difference? Do you learn a secret hand shake or something? I don't get it....I'm not being a smart ass, I'm just not familiar with this part of chinese culture....when I think of disciple I think of some sort of religious thing....

Fu-Pow

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,

patriot
07-23-2001, 10:27 PM
A disciple has to go through a ceremony to be officially admitted to the 'family'. Anyone can pay the tuition fee and become a student.

A disciple gets the full transmission. Most teachers will not teach openly all the secret techniques. Naturally, all the best students are disciples. On the other hand, not all disciples are necessarily the best students.

I'm sure your teacher is very competent having studied with Feng for a long time.

Fu-Pow
07-24-2001, 01:25 AM
So as a teacher wouldn't you want to pick your best students as disciples? What would be the point of picking crappy students as disciples? Is is just a matter of being the best ass kisser? Again not being a smart ass..just curious.

Fu-Pow

-Lee Koon Hung,

Kevin Wallbridge
07-24-2001, 05:21 AM
Sometimes the disciple is a member of the family, but their level may not reach that of another who is not.

In classical martial arts relationships (still in use by some teachers today), a student would require permission before they could claim publically that they were a student of their teacher. Once a student was acknowledged this way it did not mean that they were considered lineage representatives of their teacher. They were good enough to be considered not-an-embarassment to the teacher, but their name didn't necessarily go immediately onto the official lineage list. The ceremony was the recognition of the student taking their place in the history. At this point all barriers to the private teachings of the style (secret handshake if you will) would be lowered. This is the difference between a senior and a disciple.

However it is important to keep in mind that these relationships are no longer as widespread as before and may be meaningless in many contexts.

Can Feng even be considered a lineage holder since he now teaches "Hunyuan Xinyi Chen." Does anyone know if he was ever taken as a formal tudi by Chen Fake? There is some evidence to suggest that only Chen Zhaokui was given the complete teachings. Not to shoot barbs at such a great teacher and inspiring martial artist, I'm just curious.

"The heart of the study of boxing is to have natural instinct resemble the dragon" Wang Xiangzai

wujidude
07-24-2001, 07:05 PM
Feng was in fact accepted as a formal disciple by Chen Fake. To my knowledge, only two other disciples spent more time in serious training with Chen Fake than Feng: Tien Xiouchen and Hong Junsheng.

As far as only Chen Zhaokui receiving the "complete teachings" of his father, Chen Fake,
In a personal letter to Wan Wende of Shanghai, Chen Zhaokui wrote: "I have one older gongfu brother, his name is Feng Zhiqiang, he's extremely intelligent, and his skill is the best among all our gongfu brothers".

The story goes that Feng's first internal arts teacher, Hu Yaozhen (the "father" of modern qigong who taught Feng xingyiquan), sent Feng to his good friend and fellow co-founder of the Capital Martial Arts Society (Beijing), Chen Fake, to be an inside-the-door disciple. Chen correspondingly sent his son, Chen Zhaokui, to Hu to learn internal neigong (which Chen Fake himself made no formal study or practice of, although he certainly "had it").

There is no doubt that Chen Zhaokui was highly skilled at the martial applications of Chenshi xinjia, especially at qinna. Unfortunately, he died young (in his early fifties), and didn't have all that much time to develop his martial and neigong skills and pass them on to the 19th generation. Several of the 19th generation did become highly skilled while studying with Zhaokui before he died, including Wang Xian and Ma Hong. But the loss of Chen Zhaokui inspired the Chen Village leadership to formally request Feng Zhiqiang to come from Beijing on three extended occasions to teach the 19th and 20th generation students. Much of the neigong and martial applications practiced by those generations today--up to and including Chen Xiaowang--can be directly traced to Feng's teaching.

In the drive to commercially exploit Chen style taijiquan as the original and most martially effective of the major taijiquan styles, Feng and direct members of the Chen family have come to be in competition with each other for the money of Western students. Feng has continued to develop his taijiquan with an equal emphasis on the nurturing of health/strength and the martial, while Chenjiagou partisans tend to emphasize their "authenticity" by virtue of their last name, and to develop their market niche by resurrecting the practice of Lao Jia as essential to the development of true taijiquan skill. The National Neigong Research Society guys (many former students of Zhang Xuexin of San Francisco, one of Feng's senior disciples)peddle their various "made in Chenjiagou" teachers. Chen Xiaowang makes his annual celebrity tour of the US. Good money, and good training, all of it.

Everybody likes to have a hero to worship. Heroes compete with each other for the audience. Chenshi taijiquan is not immune from this phenomenon.

stephenchan
07-29-2001, 08:50 AM
Kevin:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
The ceremony was the recognition of the student taking their place in the history. At this point all barriers to the private teachings of the style (secret handshake if you will) would be lowered. This is the difference between a senior and a disciple.
[/quote]

Things are not so cut and dried.
You should also distinguish between disciples and indoor disciples. Indoor disciples generally are the ones who have access to better training.
But even indoor disciples are not always taught everything, and they are not always really that good. It is pretty common that indoor disciples are taught enough to make them better than the typical student, but the teacher usually retains the best training methods for family members.

However it is important to keep in mind that these relationships are no longer as widespread as before and may be meaningless in many contexts.
[/quote]

Actually, among certain Chen Village types (Chen ZhengLei and Chen QingZhou specifically), becoming a "rumen tudi" (indoor disciple) is a big formal ceremony with lots of witnesses and documentation. In the past, being an indoor disciple was not such a big deal - but with modern Taiji being so dependent on lineage and reputation instead of personal gong-fu skill, many people seek rumen tudi status.

Can Feng even be considered a lineage holder since he now teaches "Hunyuan Xinyi Chen." Does anyone know if he was ever taken as a formal tudi by Chen Fake? There is some evidence to suggest that only Chen Zhaokui was given the complete teachings.
[/quote]

Feng was a Xingyi ringer, and there is some controversy over how much time Feng actually spent studying with Chen (I think I've heard numbers as low as 6 years). In any case, it seems that Feng was the designated "defender" of Chen Taiji's reputation in Beijing when Chen passed away.

Don't forget that Chen ZhaoXu (Chen XiaoWang's dad) was also Chen Fake's son and had access to Chen Fake's instruction.

Not to shoot barbs at such a great teacher and inspiring martial artist, I'm just curious.
[/quote]

The Chen Village folks and Feng feud over Chen Taiji. In a way, it is good at Feng has declared his own branch of Taiji - at least it makes clear that he has modified Chen Taiji with Xingyi and Tongbei influence.

Fu-Pow
So as a teacher wouldn't you want to pick your best students as disciples? What would be the point of picking crappy students as disciples? Is is just a matter of being the best ass kisser? Again not being a smart ass..just curious.
[/quote]

Being a disciple doesn't mean you are the "best student", more often it means that you have a level of personal dedication to the teacher, and have a serious interest in the style. This _doesn't_ translate into being the best at it. And, cynically, some students are made into disciples for business or political reasons.

Some teachers are into expanding their lineage, and they offer discipleship to students who will help them achieve their goals. There are a bunch of guys in the Bay Area who teach Feng's style - they would fly into Beijing to study with Feng for a few weeks to a few months, and then come back to the US. Occasionally they may fly back to Beijing for more training. These folks were actually fairly accomplished in other styles, but not Taiji, but I think that Feng made them disciples.

As a consequence, you should not read too much into being an "indoor disciple".

Wujidude:
Chenjiagou partisans tend to emphasize their "authenticity" by virtue of their last name, and to develop their market niche by resurrecting the practice of Lao Jia as essential to the development of true taijiquan skill.
[/quote]

In contrast, Feng has created the Hun Yuan Qi Gong set, lots of Silk Reeling Exercises, the 24 Hun Yuan Form, the 48 Essence Form, the 24 Cannon form to complement his somewhat baroque Xin Jia forms. I think this is at least partially the Xingyi influence, since Xingyi seems to have more basic gongs and short movement drills than Chen Taiji.

In any case, I don't find the emphasis on lao jia Yi Lu contrived, since that is the form that the Yang and Wu styles are clearly based on. And from what I've seen, folks who train only in Xin Jia tend to have problems maintaining jin integrity - the lao jia yi lu is very nice in that it simplifies the task of learning to keep your jin correct. Feng compensates for it with an emphasis on basic gongs and ramping people up from gongs to simple forms, to baroque forms.

The National Neigong Research Society guys (many former students of Zhang Xuexin of San Francisco, one of Feng's senior disciples)peddle their various "made in Chenjiagou" teachers. Chen Xiaowang makes his annual celebrity tour of the US. Good money, and good training, all of it.
[/quote]

Actually, the NNRS mostly fronts for Chen QingZhou, who is not really from Chen Village (though he studied with Chen ZhaoPei). Chen QingZhou's sons however have more ties to formal Chen Village training.

Most of the Chen Village folks are aggressively expanding and they compete against each other for the almighty US Dollar.

The basic question though is this: having shelled out your $$$ for that seminar, have you come away with something you can use and build upon? Or were you just spending some money on hype, and a chance to be in the presence of celebrity?

Stephen

--
Stephen Chan

Fu-Pow
07-29-2001, 07:12 PM
I think it was worth it just to see how Master Feng moves. To try to absorb the essence of his movements. The essence is very important, it is why you cannot learn kung fu from a book. His movements are much more fluid than my teacher's and it easier to understand his movements. That was my main goal as I knew that a 2 day seminar is not enough to absorb that much. And, of course....I wanted to meet Master Feng.

Fu-Pow

-Lee Koon Hung,

wujidude
07-29-2001, 07:20 PM
Stephen:

Nice to hear your reasoning voice fronting for the National Neigong Research Society again (as one of its co-founders and vice-chairpersons).

Stephen wrote:

>Feng was a Xingyi ringer, and there is some controversy over how much time Feng actually spent studying with Chen (I think I've heard numbers as low as 6 years). In any case, it seems that Feng was the designated "defender" of Chen Taiji's reputation in Beijing when Chen passed away.<

"Xingyi ringer"? His xingyi teacher, Hu Yaozhen, recognized the deep gong fu and excellence of Chen Fake's taijiquan and provided the introduction and encouragement for Feng to study with Chen Fake. Hu took Chen Fake's son, Chen Zhaokui, under his wing to teach him neigong principles . . . which Chen Fake did not teach, because he did not ever formally study them, although his taijiquan reflected neigong principles more deeply and profoundly than perhaps any other martial artist publicly teaching in Beijing at the time. Hu recognized Chen's excellence, and the opportunity for a genuine fusion, or rather refusion, of neigong and high-level internal martial art to take place with the exchange of students. Chen Fake also recognized the complementary nature of the teachings and sent his own son to study with Hu Yaozhen.<

>Don't forget that Chen ZhaoXu (Chen XiaoWang's dad) was also Chen Fake's son and had access to Chen Fake's instruction.<

And, I might add, Chen Xiaowang had the diligence and ability to follow up on the tremendous opportunity being born into the family gave him.

>Wujidude:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chenjiagou partisans tend to emphasize their "authenticity" by virtue of their last name, and to develop their market niche by resurrecting the practice of Lao Jia as essential to the development of true taijiquan skill.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In contrast, Feng has created the Hun Yuan Qi Gong set, lots of Silk Reeling Exercises, the 24 Hun Yuan Form, the 48 Essence Form, the 24 Cannon form to complement his somewhat baroque Xin Jia forms. I think this is at least partially the Xingyi influence, since Xingyi seems to have more basic gongs and short movement drills than Chen Taiji.

In any case, I don't find the emphasis on lao jia Yi Lu contrived, since that is the form that the Yang and Wu styles are clearly based on. And from what I've seen, folks who train only in Xin Jia tend to have problems maintaining jin integrity - the lao jia yi lu is very nice in that it simplifies the task of learning to keep your jin correct. Feng compensates for it with an emphasis on basic gongs and ramping people up from gongs to simple forms, to baroque forms.<

Feng's methodology doesn't compensate for anything; it is a superior method to simply learning the Lao Jia yi lu form as a way to develop, express and apply the basic jins. I agree that diving headlong into xinjia is a mistake for 99% of beginners. At the same time, oversimplifying the development of basic jins is a mistake as well (that's why Yang stylists' jins often never seem to develop, even after years of careful practice).

Feng is quite clear that his xingyi training influences the methodology he uses to teach taijiquan. Xingyi uses the wuxing forms to teach basic jins. Feng uses his 30-plus chansijin forms to do the same thing. I wouldn't want have learned xingyi's 12 animal forms or linking forms without solid training in the wuxing first. Similarly, I wouldn't want to learn xinjia without solid training in taiji's basic jins first, as exemplified in Feng's chansijin drills.

Chen Xiaowang uses his (simpler) chansijin exercises as a grounding for training in his forms. Chen followed Feng's lead in creating first a 38-movement form, then a 19-movement form for beginners. Feng had earlier put together a 48-movement form (essentially just eliminating repetitions) as an intermediate form to be learned before learning the more elaborate Yi Lu of the xinjia forms. Feng later created the 24-posture form for beginners (which is simply the first 21 movements of the intermediate 48 form, with a few from the end of the 48 form). Feng's forms do not require learning something only to throw it away later as more advanced forms are learned. His forms are a logical sequence.

Interestingly, though, I think Feng would agree with your point about the danger of losing integrity of jin if a beginner dives headlong into xinjia forms. He has recently revised his 24 beginner form to distill out some of the xinjia curlicues and whirls, and to emphasize the flow between postures. This is based directly on feedback his own students, and their students, have provided.

Still, characterizing Feng's other taijiquan forms as "baroque" is meaningless criticism; they are xinjia. Chen Zhenlei and Chen Xiaowang both acknowledge the value of xinjia forms in developing the basic jins, and also in adding effectiveness to applications. Chen Fake created and believed and demonstrated the value of xinjia; it's what he taught Chen Zhaokui.

>Actually, the NNRS mostly fronts for Chen QingZhou, who is not really from Chen Village (though he studied with Chen ZhaoPei). Chen QingZhou's sons however have more ties to formal Chen Village training.

. . .

Most of the Chen Village folks are aggressively expanding and they compete against each other for the almighty US Dollar.<

Economics creates politics, and Chen taijiquan is full of politics. ;- )

>The basic question though is this: having shelled out your $$$ for that seminar, have you come away with something you can use and build upon?<

Absolutely. Even with over 100 people in attendance, it was one of the very best martial arts seminars I've attended. Feng had a number of very skilled senior students accompanying him, and there were 4 excellent translators (also skilled in Chen taijiquan)circulating who could help with the explanations. His senior students, even those who did not speak English, were very friendly, approachable and helpful in their hands-on instruction. Feng himself wandered among the students, translator hovering, to offer clear correction and opportunity for push-hands contact. During breaks he was quite affable, and offered critique of individual form. Additionally, Feng had a number of sessions for his teachers outside of the regular seminar, which offered more in-depth training.

I got much more out of this seminar than, for example, a Chen Qingzhou seminar. Part of it was simply a superior teaching methodology, part of it was the skill level of the translators and senior students accompanying the main guy. I happen to like Chen Qinghzou, by the way. He's quite skilled.

>Or were you just spending some money on hype, and a chance to be in the presence of celebrity?<

That's not my nature, Stephen. I didn't even ask to have my picture taken with Feng. ;- )

Speaking of "a chance to be in the presence of celebrity" (your words): even though as you say NNRS "mostly fronts for Chen Qingzhou" (your words), you have NNRS co-founder Tony Wong rather shamelessly trying to link himself with Feng Zhiqiang.

Wong originally studied Chen style in the Bay Area with Zhang Xuexin, Feng's senior student in the U.S. Later, Wong broke with Zhang (along with a number of other students). Part of that was the marketing opportunity presenting itself with "original Chenjiagou taijiquan"--the Lao Jia crowd. Part of it was personality differences. Recently, Wong traveled to China and had pictures of himself taken with one of Feng's groups practicing in a Beijing park. Wong could not approach Feng through his old teacher Zhang, so instead of attending Feng's seminar in San Francisco sponsored by Zhang, he tried in other cities. Politics . . .

I don't need to say anything more. Hope your training is going well.

stephenchan
07-31-2001, 04:35 AM
wujidude:

Nice to hear your reasoning voice fronting for the National Neigong Research Society again (as one of its co-founders and vice-chairpersons).
[/quote]

Actually, I resigned from the NNRS about 2 years ago and asked to be removed from their web site. Unfortunately, they haven't done so. It is kind of annoying.

The bottom line is that I don't intend on representing the NNRS in any way, shape or form - though I may drop in on some NNRS events.
So you shouldn't presume that I am "fronting" for them. If you had spent time with CQZ the last time he was around, you may have noticed all the usual suspects around, except me.

You should take what I say as my personal opinion, instead of assuming that there is one of those stupid Chen Taiji ****ing contests going on.

"Xingyi ringer"? His xingyi teacher, Hu Yaozhen, recognized the deep gong fu and excellence of Chen Fake's taijiquan and provided the introduction and encouragement for Feng to study with Chen Fake.
[/quote]

You seem to think this is an insult. Not at all - what it means is that Feng was a pretty bad-ass Xingyi guy even before he picked up Chen Taiji, and the Xingyi influence is very clear (especially in forms like the 24 cannon).
Chen Xiang is really good too, but with the 16 years of Baji experience, he is kind of a Baji ringer. But I went to one of his seminars and thought it was excellent.

All the guys that Chen QingZhou picked up from Zhang were "ringers" because they had years of training with Zhang and others before signing up with Chen QingZhou.
Ringers are part of how the game is played in the gong-fu world, no point in denying it.

Hu took Chen Fake's son, Chen Zhaokui, under his wing to teach him neigong principles . . . which Chen Fake did not teach, because he did not ever formally study them, although his taijiquan reflected neigong principles more deeply and profoundly than perhaps any other martial artist publicly teaching in Beijing at the time. Hu recognized Chen's excellence, and the opportunity for a genuine fusion, or rather refusion, of neigong and high-level internal martial art to take place with the exchange of students. Chen Fake also recognized the complementary nature of the teachings and sent his own son to study with Hu Yaozhen.<
[/quote]

So, uhhh, would it be fair to say that you are fronting for Feng at this point? There is not question that Hu was good, and the Xingyi stuff is good - just that Feng was good before he picked up on Chen Taiji.

Feng's methodology doesn't compensate for anything; it is a superior method to simply learning the Lao Jia yi lu form as a way to develop, express and apply the basic jins.
[/quote]

I guess saying that it "compensated" made you feel that you had to defend it. In fact, I don't think Feng's approach is bad at all, it is in many ways, much closer to what a modern training method would be like.
But the bottom line is that Feng's forms are "baroque" by the standards of the lao jia forms. They actually seem (to me) somewhat more complicated than the Chen Village xin jia forms.
This is not a bad thing, because when you are dealing with crafty opponents, it is important to be able to be capable of a lot of different variations and sudden transitions.
_BUT_ since the forms are so complex, Feng compensated by creating all the SRE and all the other simpler forms to ramp up.
I personally think it is very reasonable, and much more appropriate to the modern world than the more concise Chen Village approach.

I agree that diving headlong into xinjia is a mistake for 99% of beginners. At the same time, oversimplifying the development of basic jins is a mistake as well (that's why Yang stylists' jins often never seem to develop, even after years of careful practice).
[/quote]

I don't think the problem with Yang style is over-simplification. But that would get us into one of those Chen Taiji vs. Yang Taiji ****ing battles.

Still, characterizing Feng's other taijiquan forms as "baroque" is meaningless criticism; they are xinjia. Chen Zhenlei and Chen Xiaowang both acknowledge the value of xinjia forms in developing the basic jins, and also in adding effectiveness to applications. Chen Fake created and believed and demonstrated the value of xinjia; it's what he taught Chen Zhaokui.
[/quote]

Maybe you think baroque implies that it is somehow not useful. But as I said above, it is baroque, and it serves a purpose. Lots of Bagua is baroque too, but it serves a purpose.

Absolutely. Even with over 100 people in attendance, it was one of the very best martial arts seminars I've attended. Feng had a number of very skilled senior students accompanying him, and there were 4 excellent translators (also skilled in Chen taijiquan)circulating who could help with the explanations. His senior students, even those who did not speak English, were very friendly, approachable and helpful in their hands-on instruction. Feng himself wandered among the students, translator hovering, to offer clear correction and opportunity for push-hands contact. During breaks he was quite affable, and offered critique of individual form. Additionally, Feng had a number of sessions for his teachers outside of the regular seminar, which offered more in-depth training.
[/quote]

Can you post a message with a somewhat detailed review of the seminar and what you got out of it? I haven't seen anything too detailed about how people liked the seminar.
Just so you know, I've heard that Feng's school in Beijing is very open in how they teach, and all the guys there are pretty good. I don't have any investment in The NNRS that needs to be protected by slamming Feng or his school.

Speaking of "a chance to be in the presence of celebrity" (your words): even though as you say NNRS "mostly fronts for Chen Qingzhou" (your words), you have NNRS co-founder Tony Wong rather shamelessly trying to link himself with Feng Zhiqiang.

Wong originally studied Chen style in the Bay Area with Zhang Xuexin, Feng's senior student in the U.S. Later, Wong broke with Zhang (along with a number of other students). Part of that was the marketing opportunity presenting itself with "original Chenjiagou taijiquan"--the Lao Jia crowd. Part of it was personality differences. Recently, Wong traveled to China and had pictures of himself taken with one of Feng's groups practicing in a Beijing park. Wong could not approach Feng through his old teacher Zhang, so instead of attending Feng's seminar in San Francisco sponsored by Zhang, he tried in other cities. Politics . . .
[/quote]

And what is my reaction to this is supposed to be?

In case you didn't know, Tony pretty much tries to hang around anyone who he thinks he can learn from. He visitted Feng's school in Beijing, and already had a connection with Feng prior to this visit. I think that Zhang and some of his students weren't aware of this.
When he was in China, he also spent time at Yao ChengGuang's school for Yi Quan, and I think he probably visitted the village.
So the way you are presenting it, as if Tony was doing something really uncharacteristic, just to be close to be Feng, is misleading. If you have some gong-fu (famous or not) Tony will try to schmooz you. You have to give the guy credit, he is very enterprising.

Stephen

--
Stephen Chan