PDA

View Full Version : You might be a judoka if......

Ryu
10-22-2001, 07:29 PM
You Might Be A Judoka If...

1.you think learning to fall helps you learn to throw people.
2.you see someone taking a bad fall off his bike, and the first word that pops into your head is "ippon!"
3.every time you see a big open space you have to restrain yourself from doing ukemi for no apparent reason.
4.when you see some big guy walking down the street you plan how to throw him on his back and then armlock him.
5.you secretely wish that some untrained, unarmed, and unaccompanied robber would come and attempt to rob you.
6.your girlfriend thinks you're a freak because you have callouses on the back of your fingers from doing judo grips.
7.you instinctively bridge and roll whenever you wake up from a nightmare.
8.you're teaching your kid to ride a bike and start off with ukemi drills!
9.you get into bed with a forward roll.
10.a shirtless attacker becomes your worst nightmare.
11.you choose your dates by how well they look in a Judogi.
12.you spend more time on top of your friends than your girlfriend.
13.you say "you should see this new technique I learned" and all of a sudden you're the only one in the room.
14.you keep having this dream about your mother-in-law reversing your best choke.
15.your dog shakes hands with everyone but you.
16.when you are sawing wood or hammering nails you consider it uchikomi.
17.you can take your child to practice because you're in the same class.

Hmm looks like I check out.

http://judoinfo.com/images/kimuraosawa.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Water Dragon
10-22-2001, 07:31 PM
18. You consistently get your a$$ kicked by Shuai Chiao guys :D

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

Ryu
10-22-2001, 07:38 PM
Hey!

:D

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Kung Lek
-You seriously consider that wearing a pink Gi will make other Judoka fear you because Gene Labelle has one. :D

Gene Labelle is a great example of a martial arts man imho.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Ford Prefect
LOL@ no. 7

I've actually shrimp crawled a few times when waking up.

Watchman
10-22-2001, 07:44 PM
I wedge forward with Man Sau/Wu Sau. :D

Jaguar Wong
10-22-2001, 07:45 PM
LOL, #8 is my favorite.

Jaguar Wong

Nexus
10-22-2001, 07:50 PM
#14 made me laugh.

- Nexus

Mojo
10-22-2001, 09:09 PM
Q. What's the difference betwen a judo gi and a jiu-jitsu gi ?

A. About $50.

'rim shot' :D

Badger
10-22-2001, 09:17 PM
What made you go from BJJ to Judo?
Not that theres anything wrong with either,just curious.

Badger

"When life hands you a blank, load it anyway and act real intimidating."--Unknown l

Ralek
10-22-2001, 09:25 PM
I too am equally curious as to why you stopped BJJ for judo.

Brazilian jiujitsu is superior.

Jaguar Wong
10-22-2001, 09:28 PM
I thought Ryu was Judoka that learned a little bjj as well. JUDO 4 LIFE!

Or is that Chinese bjj?

Jaguar Wong

Ryu
10-22-2001, 11:21 PM
Ralek and Badger,

Well I guess I was very attracted to the "culture-sport" type aspect of judo, and was tired of paying large amounts of money for BJJ. Everyone here knows I enjoy Asian, especially Japanese culture, so judo seemed to call to me more I suppose. Plus, I am done with the NHB, MMA tough guy stuff, and I don't like the focus of fight only. Jigoro Kano seemed to really focus on what I thought was important ( realistic skill, morality, martial spirit, humility) So I saw more of these qualities in judo than I did BJJ.
However that doesn't mean I do not study BJJ anymore. The groundfighting system of BJJ really has kept my newaza strong (enough to beat even a black belt at one point) So I don't say that BJJ isn't as good. I want to combine them together kind of...but I consider myself a judoka and not a BJJ man.

Hope that helps
Ryu