PDA

View Full Version : Sifu Edmund Ng??????

hskwarrior
09-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Is he Chan Family branch or Hung Sing or Buk SIng??????

The reason why I ask, is basically the opening he does is the same as Hung/buksing and not typically a chan family opening.

here is a clip of his ping kuen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgoA5DKe82w

CHAZ
09-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Hey Frank,

Edmund Ng (Ng Ho Tak) is my Sifu, our lineage is as follows

Chan Heung Gong

Chan Koon Pak

Fong Yuk Shu

Chan Hong Hung

Jew Yew Jong

Edmund Ng (ng Ho Tak

Su Lin
09-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Hey Chaz

Did you do a demo for Chinese New Year in Lancaster this year? We went along with our club to the celebrations and sure it was your club doing it?

hskwarrior
09-01-2006, 01:16 PM
you it's been said that Yuen Hai also was one of Fong Yuk Shu's sifu's at one point. From what I understand, it was to koon pak first then to yuen hai, or the other way around.

anyways, i've never seen any chan family sets begin that way, only hung sing and buk sing. that's kinda strange, but hey, we're all Choy Lee Fut right????

yeah definately, more on the lines of buk sing and hung sing more than chan i feel.

hsk

Mano Mano
09-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Our official lineage is Hung Sing Heroic Victory from Chan Koon Pak, there is an influence from Fut San & Buk sing which is evident to someone who has been exposed to the various branches of CLF.
Fong Yuk Shu spent some time with Fut San but I believe he spent more time training under Chan Koon Pak.
My Si Gung Chu Yu Jong I believe first learned some Buk Sing CLF in his early years not sure who with, then trained under & spent most of his time under Chan Hong Hung. We don’t deny any connections with Fut San & Buk Sing otherwise my sifu wouldn’t get his invitations to their get-togethers.

hskwarrior
09-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Mano Mano,

you know it's said that quite possibly koon pak also learned from Jeong Yim, but I have also heard fong Yu Shu was with koon pak longer.

However, the buk sing/ hung sing influence runs strong within your lineage, it's visually obvious.

That ping kuen clip is the first clf clip i've saved to my comp. I really liked it.

hsk

CHAZ
09-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Hey Chaz

Did you do a demo for Chinese New Year in Lancaster this year? We went along with our club to the celebrations and sure it was your club doing it?

Su Lin, I don't know, I have been away from the club for a bit due to work commitments.
Do you also post on Martial Arts Planet, I'm known as PantherFist over there.:)

Mano Mano, Hello there Si Hing, I bow down to your expert knowledge:D

CHAZ
09-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Hey Frank, do you know where I can get a copy of that clip so I can save it to my computer.

hskwarrior
09-01-2006, 01:30 PM
that clips on you tube............

(the one Sifu Ng is performing right?)

hskwarrior
09-01-2006, 01:32 PM
sorry,

i meant that I saved it to my you tube favorites account. Sorry.

hskwarrior
09-01-2006, 01:33 PM
but I think you can embed it onto a website and save it that way.

try making a little clips webpage for free at......zoomshare.com

CHAZ
09-01-2006, 01:36 PM
I'll try that, thank:)

hskwarrior
09-01-2006, 01:42 PM
chaz,

if you right click on the link, you may be able to save that onto your favorites folder on your computer......i hope.........i just did.

peace.

Mano Mano
09-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Mano Mano, Hello there Si Hing, I bow down to your expert knowledge
& so should everybody else apart from Sifu & Alan. :D
because they would definitely hurt me, even if I asked nicely.

hskwarrior
09-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Mano Mano

did you just add that clip to your profile?

if not how come no one noticed it before?

hsk

Mano Mano
09-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Frank yes indeed I did.
I’ve now caught video editing bug from you & its fun.

Su Lin
09-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Chaz
Yes I do, will look out for you! I see you study Lau Gar too!

hskwarrior
09-01-2006, 02:19 PM
mano mano

it is fun right?

especially when you start trying to catch a demo in the right spot and make it fit.

but thanks.

hsk

Mano Mano
09-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Frank
& just when you think you've got it right you forget to save it.

Chaz
for talking to the naughty Lau gar people you will now do sei ping ma for the burning of two joss sticks, I've been watching you on the other boards. :)

Su Lin
09-01-2006, 02:40 PM
We're not "proper" Lau Gar though, so it's ok!:rolleyes:
Seriously though, I enjoyed the lion dance the club did at the Chinese New Year celebrations, it was the first time I had seen one done!

Lam Tong Long
09-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Wow!

Great clip. I was at that demo watching that year. It was one of the ones they used to hold in the Mayfair right?

Anyway, props to Edmund. I've known him for quite a while but that's one of the few times I've seen him in action.

Great stuff!

Hey Ian - where have you dissappeared to man?????

LOL!

Mano Mano
09-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Su Lin
I’ve noticed that the people at your school are wearing shoes in the photos, so you definitely can't be genuine Lau. :)

Su Lin
09-01-2006, 02:48 PM
I would love to train in bare feet sometimes, but the floors are a bit dodgy in the places we train. Never heard about barefoot being a Lau trait!:p

Mano Mano
09-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Great clip. I was at that demo watching that year. It was one of the ones they used to hold in the Mayfair right?

yes the old Mayfair night club

the form I did that night was Gung Ji Fook Fu Sern

Siu Lin j
Just joking it's just that when ever Lau Gar was in the magazines the people in them were for some reason always in bare feet.

chasincharpchui
09-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Our official lineage is Hung Sing Heroic Victory from Chan Koon Pak, there is an influence from Fut San & Buk sing which is evident to someone who has been exposed to the various branches of CLF.
Fong Yuk Shu spent some time with Fut San but I believe he spent more time training under Chan Koon Pak.
My Si Gung Chu Yu Jong I believe first learned some Buk Sing CLF in his early years not sure who with, then trained under & spent most of his time under Chan Hong Hung. We don’t deny any connections with Fut San & Buk Sing otherwise my sifu wouldn’t get his invitations to their get-togethers.

i thought chan family clf was called great sage clf
...did i juss open pandora's box? haha

Lam Tong Long
09-01-2006, 05:47 PM
yes the old Mayfair night club

the form I did that night was Gung Ji Fook Fu Sern.

I'd love to say I could remember but god that was a long time ago!

Those were the days, the mayfair and all that. I used to really look forward to chinese new year then.

Take care,

Jay (from across the road at the SPM club)

CLFNole
09-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Chan Heung was Great Sage.

Chan Koon Pak changed his school name to Hung Sing - Heroic Victory.

Jeong Yim changed his school to Hung Sing - different character to Koon Pak's.

So no pandora's box.

chasincharpchui
09-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Chan Heung was Great Sage.

Chan Koon Pak changed his school name to Hung Sing - Heroic Victory.

Jeong Yim changed his school to Hung Sing - different character to Koon Pak's.

So no pandora's box.

isnt koon pak chan heung's son? do their schools go by different names? 4 lineages?

so is chan family clf great sage or heroic victory?

CLFNole
09-01-2006, 07:58 PM
From what I remember about the history Chan Koon Pak changed the name of the school from Great Sage Hung Sing to Heroic Victory Hung Sing. He did this to supposedly distinguish himself from one of his hing dai that used hung sing and took in students with character he didn't like. His hung sing was different from his fathers.

hskwarrior
09-01-2006, 08:06 PM
actually, now, there are more than 5 branches with different material.

you have great sage Xiong Sing, Fut San Hung Sing, Heroic victory (koon pak) and buk sing, and also kong moon branch of Choy Lee Fut.

However, from what I understand koon pak actually used the same one that jeong yim used but changed the name to shake the stigma of Jeong Yim and his disciples efforts in the revolution.

So when koon paks gung fu looks more like hung sing than Xiong Sing I can understand.

CLFNole
09-01-2006, 08:31 PM
From what I remember he didn't change it because of Jeong Yim but rather another student named Lee Yau or Lee Yan. I am not sure his kung fu looks like fut san's either as Chan Yong Fa's kung fu is quite different from that of Fut San.

I think Kong Moon's CLF comes from Chan Yan or Chan Kau (one was the father the other the son), who was a student of Chan Hueng.

hskwarrior
09-01-2006, 08:36 PM
lee yan is a jeong yim student.

lee yan is the lineage of the Singapore hung sing. I did say that because of what jeong yim and the disciples were doing in the revolution though.

About looking like whoever, if any of koon paks sets start out in the "L" pattern, then it is related to fut san.

and the edmund ng schools is koon paks lineage but have all the characteristics of the hung sing and buk sing lineages.

yeah, but kong moon teaches different choy lee fut than the chan family regardless if they are that close. stuff in kong moon is not taught in the chan family.

but it's all good.

CLFNole
09-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Quite a bit of the Kong Moon stuff is considered Heroic Victory Hung Sing as Chan Koon Pak taught there. Chan Cheong Mo is considered Heroic Victory. It is not uncommon for CLF to morph in different areas and it is to be expected. I think Kong Moon is more of a different area of CLF not necessarily a different branch.

There are a variety of differences in lines from Chan Koon Pak as can be easily seen from Chan Yong Fa to Lee Koon Hung to Edmund Ng.

Not having seen enough of Chan Yong Fa's CLF I am not sure about the different hoi jongs; however a long time ago I was emailing Howard Choy and he mentioned they had a variety of different openings so I am not sure if the L-shape is exclusive to Jeong Yim but rather what his branch is known for.

hskwarrior
09-01-2006, 08:49 PM
clfnole,

I've seen and researched a lot of Chan Family sets, and never have I seen one (from them) that starts in that L pattern. they always start right where they are and go straight out.

ALL Hung Sings around the world (that have deep connections to fut san) will agree that chan family CLF doesn't use that L pattern. If they did then i may be jeong yim's stuff.

From what I've been recently told was that Chan Yiu Chi often went to fut san and worked with Jeong Yim's people. I think they shared gung fu as well. Yiu Chi I heard learned some of the Fut San stuff.

anyways, if you were to put up a comparison from all the branches it would be easy to tell who is chan family choy lee fut, and who is hung sing/buksing. I'm not talking about hybrid CLF, i'm talking about CLF that is exclusive to one branch or the other.

CLFNole
09-01-2006, 08:55 PM
The thing is I am not sure there is any "pure" CLF from any branch. Back then they all seemed to share with each other and it was just CLF not all the political bull sheet we have now. I think they would go to someone well known for certain techniques and they in turn would go to someone else was good at something else.

I remember reading about training with wooden dummies and Tam Sam being there along with Chan Koon Pak, Ho Ngau and others.

Sounds like good times if you ask me.

hskwarrior
09-02-2006, 12:36 AM
no you're right.

I am sure they all learned something from one another back then.

Pure, nah, but who cares about pure anymore. CLF is CLF.

I can admit that each and every school i've come across has had some type of influence on my own training.

That's why i am doing what i can to promote the whole CLF lineage now.

Ben Gash
09-02-2006, 02:03 AM
Studying lines from Chan Koon Pak, Chan On Pak, Chan Kau and Jeong Yim, I would say that in terms of forms and technique the first three have much more in common than the Jeong Yim line, and in terms of flavour the Chan Koon Pak stuff is the one furthest away from Jeong Yim's Futsan Hung Sing.
However, I must agree that Edmund Ng's stuff has a huge Bak Sing flavour, which is pretty cool.
BTW, some of the Chan On Pak/Chan Kau forms have an L shaped opening.

Ben Gash
09-02-2006, 02:05 AM
Just watched the vid, and that looks like a Bak Sing opening.

Mano Mano
09-02-2006, 02:07 AM
Frak here's another one of our sets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56b8eGgxos8

chasincharpchui
09-02-2006, 02:35 AM
actually the branches didnt all get along that well in the past

tarm sam calling his style buk sing choy lay fut got other clf practioners hella mad, not that he cared, he juss charp anyone that spoke didnt show him respect and acknowledgement
the great debate on why its wrong to call our branch buk sing choy lay fut, the correct way now is choy lay fut buk sing/choy lay fut buk sing gwoon started after his death and the only ppl that were allowed put words infront of CLF were the hung sing ppl(jeung hung sing).

im talkin bout branch rivalry as a whole, not individuals
individuals of hung sung and buk sing did get along, but wen it came to politics, they took their sides.

nowadays its only internet talk, back then it was the real deal fights in guangzhou

Mano Mano
09-02-2006, 05:15 AM
Chasincharpchui
I agree that the various branches didn’t all get along that well in the past, but some individuals did get on irrespective of branch or lineage.

Frank
Like CLFnole I haven’t seen enough of chan yong fa's CLF or even fut san CLF
But I have seen forms from another heroic victory branch mui fa, sup ji & dit jin kuen which were practically identical to our firms.

The sup ji form for example the only difference in the form was that we do a sequence with a right back fist bien choi, left downward tiger claw, right deng sao choi, right biu jong.
The other branch does the following sequence of right back fist bien choi. right deng sao choi, right back fist bien choi, left cup choi, right yung chap choi.
Apart from that sequence the forms are practically identical.

sifu philip ng’s lineage is even closer to ours than the other heroic victory school & I would love to see their forms just for further comparison.

Eddie
09-02-2006, 05:38 AM
Heres how you can save any you tube or google videos.

Go to this site:
http://www.videodl.org/

Then copy and paste the video link url into the block that say " get it" and click the button. It will search for a while, and once its doen, It will show a new button " Download link". Right click, and save as ... :cool: