PDA

View Full Version : White Lotus

BruceSteveRoy
09-01-2006, 05:36 PM
So I heard that Sifu Douglas Wong in California is teaching a system called White Lotus. Does anyone know anything about it?

TenTigers
09-02-2006, 09:57 PM
yeah, he calls his hybrid system white lotus flower, but don't mistake it for Bak Lein P'ai-two different P'ais. His is made up from what he learned from Ark Wong,Tiny Leffitti, and others.

yenhoi
09-03-2006, 06:40 AM
I have a "white lotus" form that somehow traces through Frank Wong. I think thats all the same family.

:eek:

jigahus
09-06-2006, 11:58 AM
http://www.whitelotuskungfu.com/

edit:

http://members.tripod.com/beyondthereef__1/kungfu.html

brothernumber9
09-07-2006, 04:38 AM
apparently it's good for breaking into hollywood. A whole bunch of those guys get bit parts and stunt jobs in TV and movies. I think almost all of them were in "Big Trouble in Little China" .

Faruq
09-07-2006, 03:11 PM
How come Doug doesn't mention his sifu or lineage on the website?

Dale Dugas
09-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Be careful.

He is offering "private lesions"...

ewww......

jigahus
09-07-2006, 03:16 PM
How come Doug doesn't mention his sifu or lineage on the website?

Your guess is as good as my guess.

Faruq
09-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Be careful.

He is offering "private lesions"...

ewww......

I'm a dude, so why would I worry? LOL. No, but really, he'd probably have to produce a few Pride champions to have people lining up for private lessons, unless gong fu actors actually want to learn from him.

Shaolinlueb
09-07-2006, 08:01 PM
I think almost all of them were in "Big Trouble in Little China" .

dude that's all you needed to say for me to sign up for the school. :cool:

brothernumber9
09-08-2006, 05:15 AM
He doesn't credit his teachers because he broke off from them. Most notably Doo Wai. There used to be some clips floating around of Doo Wai doing video instruction, his assistants in the video were James Lacey and Douglas Wong.

jigahus
09-08-2006, 08:03 AM
I'm a dude, so why would I worry? LOL. No, but really, he'd probably have to produce a few Pride champions to have people lining up for private lessons, unless gong fu actors actually want to learn from him.

LOL private lesions that is funny.

jigahus
09-08-2006, 08:04 AM
dude that's all you needed to say for me to sign up for the school. :cool:

LOL good luck.

Faruq
09-08-2006, 08:33 AM
What about the other teachers? Which one did he learn most from? Which one is truly his style, or does he only know movie choreography?

He doesn't credit his teachers because he broke off from them. Most notably Doo Wai. There used to be some clips floating around of Doo Wai doing video instruction, his assistants in the video were James Lacey and Douglas Wong.

brothernumber9
09-08-2006, 09:01 AM
that I don't know. He started his own style before I even started kung fu. They competed often especially on the west coast, but I only 'know' that from here-say. I don't know if Carrie Wong is his wife or student, but she's the first one that jumps to mind. I didn't even know about his connection to Bak Fu Pai/Do until someone who had questions about Lacey's legitamacy on another forum was provided old video clips from Doo Wai himself, and Douglas Wong was on the same clips. I don't know who else he learned from or where he started, and since it has never really come up before, I assume they (the teacher(s)) don't mind.

jigahus
09-08-2006, 10:26 AM
http://www.martialinfo.com/Who_is_Who/Douglas-Wong.htm

Says he trained under:
Grandmaster Ark Yuey Wong of the Five Animals (Ng Ying Ga) and the Five Families (Ng Ga Kin) styles
Grandmaster Share K. Lew of the Tao Tan Pai system
Grandmaster Doo Wai of the White Tiger system (Bak Fu Pai)
Master Hsu Hong Chi of the God-Dragon Hsing Yi system
Master Haumea "Tiny" Lefiti of the Mok Gar system
Sifu Walter Wong of the Wing Chun system
and acupressure massage, philosophy and acupuncture under Dr. Andrew Ming

Faruq
09-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Maybe I got confused with this CTFK Praying Mantis website. That one shows their master who had like a Spanish name that started with a D (maybe he was Pilipino), but no lineage whatsoever. I've got to find the thread that link is on. But as far as Douglas Wong, "Studied under" doesn't really profess any mastery of any of the styles. I wonder if he actually "mastered" any of those. Is he authorized to teach any of those styles by any of the teachers?

http://www.martialinfo.com/Who_is_Who/Douglas-Wong.htm

Says he trained under:
Grandmaster Ark Yuey Wong of the Five Animals (Ng Ying Ga) and the Five Families (Ng Ga Kin) styles
Grandmaster Share K. Lew of the Tao Tan Pai system
Grandmaster Doo Wai of the White Tiger system (Bak Fu Pai)
Master Hsu Hong Chi of the God-Dragon Hsing Yi system
Master Haumea "Tiny" Lefiti of the Mok Gar system
Sifu Walter Wong of the Wing Chun system
and acupressure massage, philosophy and acupuncture under Dr. Andrew Ming

jigahus
09-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Maybe I got confused with this CTFK Praying Mantis website. That one shows their master who had like a Spanish name that started with a D (maybe he was Pilipino), but no lineage whatsoever. I've got to find the thread that link is on. But as far as Douglas Wong, "Studied under" doesn't really profess any mastery of any of the styles. I wonder if he actually "mastered" any of those. Is he authorized to teach any of those styles by any of the teachers?

I can not say. I am just providing the link to the information. Your assumptions is just as valid as my assumptions.

Faruq
09-08-2006, 02:07 PM
I can not say. I am just providing the link to the information. Your assumptions is just as valid as my assumptions.

Well what about you, Brotha Numba Nine? Do you know?

lunghushan
09-08-2006, 02:10 PM

It doesn't matter if he mastered any styles. How do you think styles got started in the old days? People studied what they wanted, and formed their own style.

That's what this guy did. He's been teaching for years and years, and yes his students and he have gotten a lot of movie work because of Hollywood connections.

Faruq
09-08-2006, 02:17 PM
I mean we're all just posting for the sake of argument, right? I mean none of our posts are going to change anything in the world, right? I'm just proposing, you know. So for the sake of argument, I guess what I'm saying is he might have studied for a month under each sifu, and then started his own style. That's different from a guy who's learned five complete arts, right? Connections are one thing, skill is another, and I'm just wondering if he has both.

lunghushan
09-08-2006, 02:22 PM
I mean we're all just posting for the sake of argument, right? I mean none of our posts are going to change anything in the world, right? I'm just proposing, you know. So for the sake of argument, I guess what I'm saying is he might have studied for a month under each sifu, and then started his own style. That's different from a guy who's learned five complete arts, right? Connections are one thing, skill is another, and I'm just wondering if he has both.

In my research of those teachers he studied under, I found him studying under them each for many years since like the early 1970s or something.

I have no idea of his skill. I don't think anybody cares.