PDA

View Full Version : Hung Kuen or Hak Fu Mun???

jmd161
09-02-2006, 10:30 AM
While i've been a student of Hak Fu Mun for about six yrs now, it was only recently that i've become interested in history and such. I'd say really about the last 3 yrs or so. I've been trying to research as much as i can, but it's really very difficult with the lil' remaining knowledge that's available. While my sifu posses a vast amount of knowledge, he's not very fortcoming with it. Sifu is more interested with our development, than talking about history.

He does share info with us, but it's very deliberate and when he wants to release info. What i have found out in my research and with bits and pieces that sifu has released, is this. That while Hung Kuen and Hak Fu Mun share a common bond, they really are not as close or alike as many would think. While both share a Tit Sin Kuen or Iron Wire form, they're nothing alike. The only form known to have crossed over between the two, is Hak Fu Mun's Ye Fu Kuen or Night Tiger fist which has been seen in some Hung Kuen lineages. It is not known how this form made it's way into these Hung kuen lineages, but it's assumed through the friendship of Wong Kei Yin and Soo Chi Er (Soo Hak Fu) that were known friends within the Kwangtung Sup Fu (Ten Tigers of Canton)

Back to my question at hand though...

It is known that Sam Dak (Tak) was Soo Chi Er's Tiger style master and Soo Chi Er was a master of the Tiger style. Now to my knowledge Hung Hei Goon is the one accredited with creating the base of what we call Hung kuen. Both learned their kung fu from Gee Sim. Some say Sam Dak was a layman that became a monk others say he was already a monk. It is also known that Wong Fei Hung during his lifetime mastered Hak Fu Mun through his fathers friendship with Soo Chi Er. Did any of his Hak Fu knowledge creep into Hung Kuen?

The question still remains which came first Hung Kuen or Hak Fu Mun, and did one influence the other?

I ask this because i know there are many here with much more knowledge of Hung Kuen than myself. It's not a debate about which is better, i'm just interested in info about the history of the two and their interaction.

jeff:)

David Jamieson
09-06-2006, 02:23 PM
I don't have a history degree in any of it, but I can say this.
The black tiger I learned is definitely a form of Hung Kuen. And as well, sil lum to another degree.

the black tiger i have been shown from our mutual friend is not like hung kuen at all but has more of a choy li fut flavour to it. However, I realize that what is in the hak Fu Muhn is not anywhere close to what I have experienced of it at this point seeing as i've only been involved with you cats for ...i guess it's getting on to 5 years now.

anyway, it is kind of a stadard legend taht huang fei hung was learned in black tiger as well as hung ga. perhaps what we see these days of hung ga has some flavour from huang fei hungs black tiger? maybe the oter way around? hard to say, there is no one alive today that would know 100% for sure and as you know, documentation is hard to come by when it is available! lol

dude, you study a lot of this stuff! you should be style historian and do stuff like frank does! (ill help with the movies a little if you want :) )

jmd161
09-06-2006, 07:33 PM
anyway, it is kind of a stadard legend taht huang fei hung was learned in black tiger as well as hung ga. perhaps what we see these days of hung ga has some flavour from huang fei hungs black tiger? maybe the oter way around? hard to say, there is no one alive today that would know 100% for sure and as you know, documentation is hard to come by when it is available! lol

Yeah, that's what makes me wonder which influenced which. I know we have our Hung-ish looking stuff, but the flavor is all Blk Tiger. Yeah info is scarce and becoming more so everyday.

dude, you study a lot of this stuff! you should be style historian and do stuff like frank does! (ill help with the movies a little if you want :) )

Ha Ha Ha yeah bro i'm trying, it's hard though. I still need you to help with a new website design and such. That's what I needed to talk to you about.

The Xia
09-14-2006, 10:44 PM
I always believed Hak Fu Mun to be from Shangdong. Thus explaining the alternative name for the style "Shangdong Black Tiger". If Hak Fu Mun shares roots with Hung Kuen what does that mean regarding the Shangdong connection?

jmd161
09-14-2006, 10:51 PM
I always believed Hak Fu Mun to be from Shangdong. Thus explaining the alternative name for the style "Shangdong Black Tiger". If Hak Fu Mun shares roots with Hung Kuen what does that mean regarding the Shangdong connection?

Shantung Black Tiger and Hak Fu Mun are two totally differnt styles. Shantung is a northern china black tiger style. Hak Fu Mun was created in Canton, and is more heavly southern flavored. Although, it has northern components as well.

The Xia
09-15-2006, 01:19 PM
That clears it up. I bunched the two styles together because Shangtung Black Tiger and Hak Fu Mun both have Black Tiger in the names (Hak Fu=Black Tiger).

David Jamieson
09-15-2006, 02:06 PM
even modern shaolin has black tiger with the relatively recent inclusion of hei hu quan (black tiger fist) into their curriculum.

to me, this style doesn't look anything like Hak Fu Muhn, nor the Hung Black tiger I learned and not even Gansu Black Tiger (even rarer) or fu jow pai or any of it.

I think the Shaolin just created this recently to fill a void. as in, someone requested it, they didn't have it, so they recreated it. By the by, this is not uncommon behaviour in martial arts.

what's important is that everything can be extrapolated and applied. If it is too unusual it may take time to understand or it may be bull****. which also happens and you can prove it to yourself by trying to use stuff and having it fail no matter the modification or adjustments to it.

this is too bad and there is a lot of it in commercial martial arts where you ae actually learning utterly worthless crap that simply cannot be applied effectively.

I know that may offend some, but who cares, it's true.

jmd161
09-15-2006, 04:57 PM
even modern shaolin has black tiger with the relatively recent inclusion of hei hu quan (black tiger fist) into their curriculum.

to me, this style doesn't look anything like Hak Fu Muhn, nor the Hung Black tiger I learned and not even Gansu Black Tiger (even rarer) or fu jow pai or any of it.

I think the Shaolin just created this recently to fill a void. as in, someone requested it, they didn't have it, so they recreated it.

That's exactly what i've heard, that it was recreated by a Wu Shu instructor.