PDA

View Full Version : Music and Kung-Fu

TenTigers
09-02-2006, 10:08 PM
I am noticing that music and Kung-Fu are very similar in many respects, but this one just hit me. Martial Artists will find a system that is pretty much dead or unknown, and revive it with a new twist and make a name for themselves-reinventing the whell so to speak. Examples might be "Traditional Wing Chun", or "Old Yang Form", a new "Village Hung Kuen", a different Bak Mei, or Wing Chun or something else from some other village, and suddenly it's all new. Usually it's something that has simply been repackaged. There is a guy who did a new and improved JKD, only using his Greek roots, yet he wore the tracksuit, no shirt and Bruce Lee gloves. You know the deal.
So...Stevie Ray Vaughn, although an amazing player, repackaged Albert Lee and Jimi Hendrix to a whole new audience. Kenny Wayne Sheperd did the same thing, and others followed suit. Before that, it was Frank Marino and Robin Trower.
Now...enter Eric Sardinas..basically a dark haired version of Johnny Winter for an audience who never heard of him. Pretty much the same playing style, albeit a bit more modernized, with a splash of Hendrix for flash, and the same singing style. He's good, no doubt, but it's nothing new.
All that being said, his album cooks. I am sure there is a whole new young audience just for him.

So , in a few years, I'll be introducing Brazillian Shuai-Jiao!

(yeah, who am I foolin? Someone's probably already done it!)

Erasmus Mingatt
07-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Sifu Kellerman,

I agree! I'm a guitar player and the thing which made me think about the connection was in the movie "Hero" w/ Jet Li. As he is about to fight Donnie Yen..he says(in the English sub titles).."Music and Kung fu share many similarities..both deal with complex chords"...(I may have gotten a word or 2 wrong..but it was words to that effect).

That evening after I saw the movie I was talking to a fellow in a Jazz club and it turns out that HE is a guitarist too. He says "Those mixolidian modes will set us free"(we were talking music theory). There seems to be a good ammount of interplay between deeper concepts of music and that of MA.

Just my 2 c..

TenTigers
07-10-2007, 07:52 PM
agreed, also the concept of wu-wei/mo-wai, spontaneous action without thought. which only comes after mastering and internalizing the basics, it just flows out of you
-or for musicians-jamming.: or playin in the pocket cool:
you want to learn to spar? Learn the basics, and develop some attack and defensive skills in your repetoire-build up your chops.
ok, how does the term "grease" apply to fighting or Martial Arts?

Eddie
07-11-2007, 04:56 AM
When you first learn playing guitar (or piano or anything for that matter), you learn basics, theory, and then start by learning how to play other peoples music. Once you are proficient in this, you can come up with your own tunes and use it in a practical manner.

The more passion you put into your art, the better you will do.
So, same principles in music and martial arts.

xcakid
07-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Shaolin Kempo is equivalent to sampling in music terms. :D

MMA is techno.

SPJ
07-11-2007, 07:19 AM
a piece of music relaxes/exercises/expresses one's feeling/emotions/thoughts/minds--

a workout of Kung Fu "relaxes"/exercises/expresses one's body--

:D

Eddie
07-11-2007, 07:35 AM
MMA is techno.

I love techno! :cool:

SevenStar
07-11-2007, 07:44 AM
Shaolin Kempo is equivalent to sampling in music terms. :D

MMA is techno.

no, mma would be a fusion of rap and rock/metal/etc. mma is something like Anthrax. mma is rage against the machine. mma is the chilli peppers.

xcakid
07-11-2007, 07:56 AM
no, mma would be a fusion of rap and rock/metal/etc. mma is something like Anthrax. mma is rage against the machine. mma is the chilli peppers.

There are techno mixes for Rage and Chili Peppers. Does that count.

Eddie
07-11-2007, 09:17 AM
so MMA is actually electro industrial. Combichrist :D

Metal and techno mixed :p

TenTigers
07-11-2007, 01:30 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FtChwouFECc
best represents my Kung-Fu, traditional old skool (like Alice Cooper) mixed with a raw modern edge

AJM
07-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Interesting premise. I'm inclined to agree. I play slide guitar in standard tuning ala Duane Alman which is uncommon.

golden arhat
07-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Sifu Kellerman,

I agree! I'm a guitar player and the thing which made me think about the connection was in the movie "Hero" w/ Jet Li. As he is about to fight Donnie Yen..he says(in the English sub titles).."Music and Kung fu share many similarities..both deal with complex chords"...(I may have gotten a word or 2 wrong..but it was words to that effect).

i dont know what version of subtitles u got (tho i agree withy what u said completely)

on the uk version jet says

wushu and martial arts are similar in that in both practitioners strive to attain a supreme state of being

TenTigers
07-12-2007, 09:35 AM
on my album, Jimi Hendrix sez,
"s'cuze me, while I kiss this guy!":eek::D

golden arhat
07-12-2007, 11:31 AM
on my album, Jimi Hendrix sez,
"s'cuze me, while I kiss this guy!":eek::D

LMFAO

LOLZZZZZZ

monji112000
07-12-2007, 02:43 PM
I am noticing that music and Kung-Fu are very similar in many respects, but this one just hit me. Martial Artists will find a system that is pretty much dead or unknown, and revive it with a new twist and make a name for themselves-reinventing the whell so to speak. Examples might be "Traditional Wing Chun", or "Old Yang Form", a new "Village Hung Kuen", a different Bak Mei, or Wing Chun or something else from some other village, and suddenly it's all new. Usually it's something that has simply been repackaged. There is a guy who did a new and improved JKD, only using his Greek roots, yet he wore the tracksuit, no shirt and Bruce Lee gloves. You know the deal.
So...Stevie Ray Vaughn, although an amazing player, repackaged Albert Lee and Jimi Hendrix to a whole new audience. Kenny Wayne Sheperd did the same thing, and others followed suit. Before that, it was Frank Marino and Robin Trower.
Now...enter Eric Sardinas..basically a dark haired version of Johnny Winter for an audience who never heard of him. Pretty much the same playing style, albeit a bit more modernized, with a splash of Hendrix for flash, and the same singing style. He's good, no doubt, but it's nothing new.
All that being said, his album cooks. I am sure there is a whole new young audience just for him.

So , in a few years, I'll be introducing Brazillian Shuai-Jiao!

(yeah, who am I foolin? Someone's probably already done it!)

nothing is truly original, or NEW. Everything builds in some way on many other ideas. Thats why we have something in the legal system called public domain. Every musician just took what someone else did and made it slightly different... well Most did the ones that made it more different we call a genius.

I think the next phase is CMMA . JMO