PDA

View Full Version : Making sounds in Kung Fu

The Xia
09-04-2006, 10:55 PM
We all see Japanese stylists doing Kiais. However, I don't see this sort of thing much in Chinese martial arts. Anyone have any information on lineages and/or styles that use noises?

And another question, where did Bruce Lee's catcalls come from?

Ben Gash
09-05-2006, 01:34 AM
Choy Li Fut makes extensive use of 5 sounds during it's forms and application.
In one of Bruce Lee's early screentests he performs a white crane set and he makes the noises then, so I asume they come from there. Hung Gar also uses 5 sounds, and their crane sound is similar to the noises Bruce makes in the screentest.

David Jamieson
09-05-2006, 06:49 AM
There are sounds in Kungfu used to create vibration or expel with force as you strike etc etc.

not really kiai's per se, but there is sounds used, some loud, some not so loud.

Su Lin
09-05-2006, 06:50 AM
And some that people in my club seem to make for no reason and are REALLY annoying!:mad:

One Finger Zen
09-05-2006, 07:31 AM
As Ben mentioned, Hong Jia/Hung Gar does use the 5 sounds, especially in Tie Si Quan/Tit Sin Kuen or Iron Wire Fist, where they are put to use (as mentioned before I think) to 'vibrate' certain internal organs depending on which particular sound is used. Each sound is linked to a different organ.

For example, I seem to remember reading in Lam Sai Wing's manual that when exhaling, you should make a 'siiiiiiiiii' sound which if I remember correctly is connected to the heart. Also different sounds are used for different movements.

Peace and Love

OFZ :)

PangQuan
09-05-2006, 11:59 AM
my sifu added in kiai's to each form in certain places.

IronFist
09-05-2006, 12:02 PM
I always heard that there are sounds you make in the Iron Thread form. Can someone tell me what they are? That form is from Hung Gar, right? And isn't it an internal/external combo form?

I've also heard criticism that every school makes them a little bit differently.

GEC
09-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Choy Li Fut makes extensive use of 5 sounds during it's forms and application.
In one of Bruce Lee's early screentests he performs a white crane set and he makes the noises then, so I asume they come from there. Hung Gar also uses 5 sounds, and their crane sound is similar to the noises Bruce makes in the screentest.

Apparently the masters didnt pass down their secrets of sound in kung fu much.

So now there are according to many sources only three left.

Called Hi, Hua and something else which i cant remember :D ;)

It might come to me soon :rolleyes:

The Willow Sword
09-05-2006, 12:20 PM
The Two Sounds That are emitted in Xingyi are "Ha" and "Hen". Ha on the Attack and Hen on the defense. Basically. TWS

GEC
09-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Hmm.

I could be thinking of a different martial art then :rolleyes:

TenTigers
09-05-2006, 12:37 PM
In Hung-Ga, different sounds are used to release power for specific types of strikes. High, short sounds, such as "hite", or "Hei" are for short, quick, lighter types of strikes,lighter not meaning force, but action.These are higher up in the chest cavity-middle dan-tien,etc. Lower,deeper sounds, such as "Hah" (like the O in Ostrich, not the Ha in Happy) are for rooting and come from the dan tien, and are used for heavier strikes.
Wah is used for the Tiger Claw, mostly when used in pairs, as it is a release of emotional energy, so it is associated with the ferocity of a pouncing Tiger. The single Tiger exits the Cave utilizes the "fu" sound. We don't exactly say, "Fu", more like the "fffffhh" sound, as again, it is a short explosive burst.
The crane in our Ng Ying Kuen uses the "Op" sound., which sounds more like "hup"
Snake releses its wind in a miserly fashion as it delivers a series of rapid fire strikes. short quick "tst" through the teeth, without inhaling-as it would cause hyperventilation.
The volume and pitch is up to the individual, and I have seen this taken to extremes. I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm just saying, that's not how I was taught.
You don't have to be audible either, so long as you have the correct release of tension. It is more of a teachig guide rather than a hard and fast rule.
If you do your forms without these breaths, you will tire. Hung-Ga forms are extremely taxing. However, if you know how to breathe, you can perform the entire set with full power, and not be sucking wind (too much) afterwards.
The breathing allows you to relax specific muscle groups and release power. Our Hung-Ga is actually NOT played with all the tension you see people do in demos.

SevenStar
09-05-2006, 01:54 PM
ten tigers beat me to it. Good post. We used those same sounds in longfist, but my old sifu also spent years training hung gar, so it may have come from there.

bung bo
09-05-2006, 07:45 PM
I would say TenTigers' answer is right on the money from what little I know about the subject. I sometimes grunt or "heh" fast when I practice, but not for any reason other than to momentarily tense my body during impact. It sometimes slips out unconsciously anyway. Taoism has a series of sounds usually used for healing or spiritual development. You can read up on your Mantak Chia for that though. (lol, i'm like him. make a reference to something and then promote Mantak Chia in the same sentence).

Personally, I do make many noises in my favorite kung fu:D

One Finger Zen
09-06-2006, 12:31 AM
TenTigers, Hung Gar IS taxing, especially performing Hu He Shuang Xing Quan/Tiger and Crane Double Appearance Form all the way through putting in all your effort (definitely in front of Shifu :p )

I always make use of the sounds when going through it and my brother usually doesn't do them but when he practices with me, he hears me so he remembers to do them :D

Also, we sometimes use our own sounds (grunts, etc etc) for some of the punches. My Shifu emphasises on them because his speciality is the Tie Si Quan/Iron Wire Set. And yes, it does combine the internal and external aspects of Hung Gar but from what I know (not much at this moment in time) this set is more focused on the internal aspect, with the breath being connected to the internal organs as I previously mentioned. Corrections totally welcome because I was really just saying what my Shifu 'expounded' (:p ) to me and what I've read in Lam Sai Wing's manual.

And as for TenTigers remark on his Hung Gar ( not being played with all of the tension you see some people do in demos) ours is exactly the same, with my Shifu taking the p1ss out of the old Hung Gar gongfu movies where Hung Gar is portrayed as using so much tension its amazing they don't have a stroke. The tension we use is much more internal tension, not really very outwardly visible, but nevertheless there is tension there.

Peace and Love

OFZ :)

The Xia
11-03-2006, 09:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDTniv8PuW0