PDA

View Full Version : Wah Lum Temple

8thGenMantis
09-08-2006, 06:44 AM
Has anyone visited or trained at the Wah Lum Temple in Florida? How was you experience? Is it costly?Worth the price?
Thankyou

Radplaiddude
09-08-2006, 08:19 AM
For as many people there are in the Wah Lum system, doesnt seem to me that alot of them are interested in becoming Sifus and branching out. There doesnt seem to be as many school as you would think there would be.

racerX
09-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Enjoyed it very much,meet alot of good people there.You can't put a price on knowledge.Try it you might like it, you may not.:)

Radplaiddude
09-08-2006, 04:53 PM
None of the WL sifus have made it west of the mississippi.

woliveri
09-08-2006, 05:38 PM
None of the WL sifus have made it west of the mississippi

Actually many have but have changed their colors.

Kenny Edwards for example is teaching Eagle Claw as his primary style but still retains the WL system as far as I know.

Radplaiddude
09-09-2006, 05:03 AM
Why is that? Ive ran into a couple fmr WL guys who have changed the name around. Like Mr Brascomb in Lanham MD.

CLFNole
09-09-2006, 07:44 AM
There is a Wah Lum school in Colorado.

woliveri
09-09-2006, 08:08 AM
Really? Who's teaching in Colorado?

Yao Sing
09-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Eric Brensdorf has a school in Denver. He started under Jeff Naayers.

Most of the guys you know Bill are gone. There was a whole new crop of Sifus after the last test but they're mostly congregated around existing schools. Not many of them branching out to new areas. Don't know why.

woliveri
09-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Ahh, I thought it might have been David Simeone (spelling?)

He used to be in CO living in a Mongolian Yurk.. Then lost track of him.

Maybe somewhere sharing a cave with a mountian lion now....

:D :D :D

Yao Sing
09-09-2006, 09:21 AM
No, he moved up to Alaska for awhile after the divorce I believe then hooked up with the creater of McAfee anti-virus software and teaches Taiji at his estate in Hawaii I think.

He lives on property so no real living expenses and teaches to an unending supply of 'guests'. At least that's what I heard. Tough life huh?

Strange life that guy's had. Living in a yurt in the Colorado mountains must have been a trip.

woliveri
09-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Tough life indeed.

Man... Well, more power to him.

hmmmm... that gives me an idea...

Maybe Bil Gates needs a Taij/Qigong/Baga teacher...

Does Bill have a place in Hawaii? :D :D :D :D :D :D

Radplaiddude
09-09-2006, 11:45 AM
What ever happened to Jeff Naayer. I remeber he had a school in Columbus Oh. Stopped in to ck it out he never said a word to me to see if i was interested.

Chop Socki
09-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Wow - Dave Simeone... now there's a name from the past.

Hope he's doing well, wherever he's wound up.

- CS

Yao Sing
09-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Chop Socki
Do I know you? Or rather do you know me?

I only go back as far as 1990 but you sound like you might be from woliveri's time which is before I got there.

Richard Allen was the head instructor when I started and Master Chan was still teaching some of the group classes.

woliveri
09-10-2006, 03:23 AM
http://www.yogaalaska.com/body.htm

Check out Dave!!

Yeah, David when on the 85 China trip with MC, Suzy, Noah and his wife, Manu, Miki, George Kee, and Paul ???...

I roomed with him at the student dorm (a house down the road) along with John Wang (can't remember his last name's spelling).

John's in Japan right now, teaching WL actually. Manu still works at Disney as far as I kjnow.

Yao Sing
09-10-2006, 06:35 AM
John Rang. It's John Aogishi now and he's currently aligned with the Hung Sing CLF school in San Fran.

Terry Bryant usually keeps in contact with David but I haven't heard from Terry in quite awhile now.

woliveri
09-10-2006, 07:54 AM
John Rang. It's John Aogishi now and he's currently aligned with the Hung Sing CLF school in San Fran.

"aligned" with CLF? Last time I emailed him (6 months ago) he was still in Japan. Do you mean he moved to SF or he is just learning CLF there?

Yao Sing, do I know you?

Yao Sing
09-10-2006, 07:10 PM
He's still in Japan, he's just flying the Hung Sing CLF flag (literally, it was a gift) instead of the Wah Lum flag. His school is not a Wah Lum school.

And yes, you know me. I'll get around to updating my profile one of these days. I keep forgetting I'm using another name here and start talking like usual.

You only get one guess. I used to post here under another name, I visited John last October and you usually talk to me via AIM. Oh, I still haven't found out any more about Mr. Kwan, the Bagua guy in Shanghai. :)

marknthedark
06-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Wow - Dave Simeone... now there's a name from the past.

Hope he's doing well, wherever he's wound up.

- CS

david is living in a yert in colorado springs.still teaching, he and his ex wife do the summer retreat training in july but david is thinking about moving to Maine

Chop Socki
06-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the update on David Simeone. I haven't seen him in many years, though I did get a letter from him once a long time ago, right after he left Massachusetts.

Yao Sing, I apologize for not responding (noticing!) your message until now. I'm not sure whether we've met or not - darn this Internet anonymity - but I've made many trips to the Temple, including during the time you mentioned, so it's very possible our paths crossed.

Richard Allen... now there's another name from the past that makes me smile. The first time I met him was quite a shock... but that's another tale for another time.

Thanks for the memories, guys. :rolleyes:

- CS

Corwyn
06-16-2008, 05:19 AM
FYI - In case you didn't know Richard Allen passed away 2 years ago Aug.

yu shan
06-17-2008, 06:51 AM
That was nice of you to mention this man`s name CS and bring him back into thought. IMO, men like this should not be forgotten. He was differant but in a very cool way, I really enjoyed his personality. He could come off with some off the wall jokes for sure! But he was a kind man. One of my kf brothers told me how during testing, Richard drove him around and took care of him. (he was in town testing without a car) Richard also taught some of WL`s advanced material to his younger brothers, a really giving person. Richard also served in the Vietnam war with Army Rangers, he had many stories about ugly battles. I probably would not have had him teach my kids class though. ;) just kidding...

Yao Sing
06-17-2008, 06:01 PM
He used to hang with Al Dacascos and practice moves in bar fights, bouncing I think. If he didn't do the move right or make ot work Al would get up and demonstrate the right way.

At least that's what he told me. Got a few good stories about him but can't tell them here. :D

chud
06-17-2008, 07:35 PM
...then hooked up with the creater of McAfee anti-virus software and teaches Taiji at his estate in Hawaii I think.

He lives on property so no real living expenses and teaches to an unending supply of 'guests'. At least that's what I heard. Tough life huh?

Heh heh, sounds like Magnum living on Robin Master's estate.

None of the WL sifus have made it west of the mississippi.

Jeff Hughes in Austin teaches Mantis, he says it's 7*, but many have said his stuff looks like WL. I don't know much about Mantis though, so I'm not sure what the story is there, maybe someone else can elaborate.

Yao Sing
06-17-2008, 08:21 PM
It looks like a lot of Wah Lum with some 7 Star added in and is probably moving more in that direction. His 12 minute Mantis film showed a lot of Wah Lum.

Chosen-frozen
06-18-2008, 05:26 PM
"aligned" with CLF? Last time I emailed him (6 months ago) he was still in Japan. Do you mean he moved to SF or he is just learning CLF there?

Yao Sing, do I know you?

Could you tell me what part of Japan he`s in? I`ve been here for 3 years now, and finding a kunf fu school, let alone an English-speaking instructor, is like gold.
If you don`t mind, I`d love it if you could PM me his contact info.

Dave Young,
Hokkaido, Japan

Yao Sing
06-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Kobe Kung Fu & Tai Chi
English 090-3944-0865
Japanese 090-3944-1061
Homepage: www.kobekungfu.com
E-mail: kobekungfu@kobekungfu.com

In the group picture with the Hung Sing CLF banner I'm standing on the right and the Sifu is kneeling just in front of me on the right side of photo.

Yao Sing
06-18-2008, 07:11 PM

Yao Sing, do I know you?

Sure do, but i was Hua Lin Laoshi when you were posting. I changed names since I'm no longer a Hua Lin teacher.