PDA

View Full Version : Attn: BJJers

CaptinPickAxe
09-08-2006, 12:57 PM
www.warriorscove.com

I found a school out here in Minnesota called Warrior's Cove. It teaches BJJ, Muay Thai, JJJ rolled up into a system they call "Shinbudo." The school is a Rickson Gracie certified school, but what has me confused is that the head BJJ instructor is a Rickson Gracie Representitive.

I checked his creds on BJJ.org and couldn't find him under anything Blue belt and up. Will he be able to get me my Black (if I have the resilance and time)? What exactly is a Gracie Representative? David W. Arnebeck is the instructor.

I'm not questioning this man's talent's I'm just confused about his title and what it means.

Thanks guys

SevenStar
09-08-2006, 03:22 PM
if he's not a black belt, he can't give you one. I was on bjj.org the other day - the list is missing A LOT of stuff, since they merged with onthemat.com and are still correcting everything. check back periodically to see if they've updated it anymore.

Mr Punch
09-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Mail them. It's probably quicker.

MasterKiller
09-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Not to go against 7*, but just because he doesn't have a Black now, doesn't mean he won't have it by the time you are Brown and ready for Black.

There are Purple belts running their own programs all over the place, which could easily be 5 - 6 years worth of solid training.

SevenStar
09-08-2006, 05:46 PM
no doubt. There are blues that do it as well. I wasn't looking at it in that respect. from that point, of view, sure, it's possible. we've got two browns and a black belt at our school now. the black belt was already one though - he's a member of the brazilian top team.

Three Harmonies
09-08-2006, 06:00 PM
A blue belt in BJJ is the equivalent to a black in anything else. So by the time you actually EARN your black in BJJ, it is the equivalent of like a 4-5th dan in any other system. Not easy to do though. No McBJJ Dojos around. They purposefully keep the numbers low because nothing is "given" it is earned.
Cheers
Jake :cool:

lunghushan
09-08-2006, 06:12 PM
I want to do BJJ but rolling on the ground with a lot of sweaty guys spreads herpes gladitorum and there is some killer staph infections going around now.

Plus sweaty guys smell bad.

It's too bad. They have had wrestling meets now where like 60% of the people there have gotten herpes on some part of their body from wrestling.

CaptinPickAxe
09-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Lung, STFU n00b.... Or I'll stomp the training wheels off your bike and F@ck your girlfriend/wife so I can tell you how horrible it was

I understand that only a black belt can give me a black belt, but he doesn't claim a rank only "Rickson Gracie Representitive." This is kind of concerning. I mean I don't want to spend the next 2 or 3 years rolling with someone who is can only give me a hypothetical rank because he holds no rank himself. I understand that rank isn't everything but it sure is a helluva lot.

That being said, I am still going to this school after I get over my cold. At the very least I'll pay for mat time so I can use the facilities to throw. Throwing in the snow really isn't all it's cracked up to be...

MasterKiller
09-08-2006, 08:33 PM
I want to do BJJ but rolling on the ground with a lot of sweaty guys spreads herpes gladitorum and there is some killer staph infections going around now.

Plus sweaty guys smell bad.

It's too bad. They have had wrestling meets now where like 60% of the people there have gotten herpes on some part of their body from wrestling.

So what? You take some antibiotics and get over it. Noob.

lunghushan
09-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Herpes is for life, morons. Antibiotics don't do jack against retroviruses.

lunghushan
09-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Lung, STFU n00b.... Or I'll stomp the training wheels off your bike and F@ck your girlfriend/wife so I can tell you how horrible it was

I'll give you the courtesy that I give most retards and pretend you didn't say that. :rolleyes:

CaptinPickAxe
09-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Hey, MK... is that dirty n00b still talking? I think I can smell his s#!t eating breath...

lunghushan
09-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey, MK... is that dirty n00b still talking? I think I can smell his s#!t eating breath...

Dirty noob ... you might want to educate yourself since it's obvious you know nothing about multi-resistant staph or herpes gladiatorum.

Multi resistant staph is a very serious thing. It can take weeks or months to clear, extremely strong antibiotics in the hospital, and it's a necrotic bacteria which means it eats away your skin. It can also be fatal.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/fightingforlife
http://www3.whdh.com/features/articles/specialreport/DBM1269/
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/04/0425_060425_staph_2.html

Note the recurrent in the last article below. Recurrent means it keeps breaking out, and they have to treat it like genital herpes with valacyclovir.

"herpes can reactivate over the lifespan in times of physical and emotional stress. Herpes can also result in serious systemic illness and vision loss years later, particularly if immunity is compromised."

http://www.stjosephhospital.com/webmd/display_article.phpi?id=1728_54028
http://www.logoi.com/health/herpes/herpes_gladiatorum.html
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/325/13/906
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10442623&dopt=Abstract

CaptinPickAxe
09-08-2006, 11:50 PM
You're such a n00b that you can't see I don't give a crap about your "retro-virus."

Staph is for h0m0s and p@ssies...

Also, maybe if you got out of the gay bar circuit you wouldn't be so, dare I say...butt hurt about Herpes and the likes...

CaptinPickAxe
09-08-2006, 11:55 PM
Back on topic...

What exactly is a Rickson Gracie Rep.?

lunghushan
09-08-2006, 11:55 PM
You're such a n00b that you can't see I don't give a crap about your "retro-virus."

Staph is for h0m0s and p@ssies...

Also, maybe if you got out of the gay bar circuit you wouldn't be so, dare I say...butt hurt about Herpes and the likes...

Oh, so you really are a moron and not pretending to play one on T.V. :rolleyes:

Sorry ... wasting my time I guess.

CaptinPickAxe
09-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Yes, you are wasting your time. Your also dumb as a baby that came out sideways if you think I'd listen to a n00b like you.

lunghushan
09-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Yes, you are wasting your time. Your also dumb as a baby that came out sideways if you think I'd listen to a n00b like you.

Yo mamma didn't raise you right she musta gotten drunk every day while she was pregnant while your pimp daddy beat her stomach.

Oh, wait. I forgot, I'm not supposed to insult people on the Internet anymore. Nevermind!

CaptinPickAxe
09-09-2006, 12:04 AM
Even your insults are n00bish at best...

Quit eating kitty litter, Arne.

lunghushan
09-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Even your insults are n00bish at best...

Quit eating kitty litter, Arne.

Who would have thought that being a moron took practice?

CaptinPickAxe
09-09-2006, 12:12 AM
This is why autistic kids shouldn't be allowed on the internet. I think your wearing your saftey helmet too tight, n00b.

BM2
09-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Man I am going to buy the disinfectent and clean the mats myself. I had bought something but the instructor was afraid it would leave a film and be slippery. Last week some guy said that he had a rash and was out untill it cleared up.

SevenStar
09-11-2006, 08:10 AM
Man I am going to buy the disinfectent and clean the mats myself. I had bought something but the instructor was afraid it would leave a film and be slippery. Last week some guy said that he had a rash and was out untill it cleared up.

a rash... ringworm, maybe? we clean the matts after every class. a voulunteer - usually a newbie - will sweep and mop the matts.

lunghushan
09-11-2006, 09:29 AM
I had brought this up a few years ago on another forum, and the co-founder gave me a huge ribbing about it.

I did a search (Bullshido) and turns out that he got mat herpes during a BJJ tourney.

It seems like the reason nobody wants to deal with it is it could be a career killer. If somebody gets it, then they're supposed to tell people and not compete anymore, but that's not likely to happen.