PDA

View Full Version : white lotus wing chun hosts benny meng workshop

stormtrooper
09-09-2006, 08:25 AM
White lotus wing chun hosted" Master Benny Meng " last week in london .It was a real honour for me and the rest of Sifu Steve Setters students to meet and train with one of the true great wing chun master sof our times.Yip man wing chun was covered and also the Hung fa yi system was discussed amongst the sifus present.Its quite exciting to actually talk and hear about this shaolin wing chun system as we guys over here in england have no schools to train at in this system.comparing the two systems was a real eye opener for us all,
well done steve setters and a huge thankyou to Master Meng:) :)

canglong
09-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Hello Stormtrooper,
Nice to hear you enjoyed the Seminar/workshop Meng Sigung is an excellent ambassdor of the Wing Chun system and that really shows in his workshops having been to many of them each and everyone has always had something to add to the last and have been very enjoyable that has been my own experience. It would have been nice to have made the trip with him but it just wasn't possible this time but hopefully if your group and he do some follow up work it might be possible to make some future trip and meet and train with you in person. Until then take care and continued success in your training.

VTM
09-12-2006, 11:18 AM
This was the first in a series of VTM workshops by Curator Benny Meng. It was a great success. Master Meng has the opportunity to do three workshops with three separate Wing Chun families in the UK.

The host Sifu were:

Jason Kokkorakis (Lincoln)
Mark Hobbs (West Sussex)
Steve Setters (London)

We would like to publicly thank these three Sifu for the time and effort involved, their generosity, and the positive attitudes of themselves and their students.

We would also like to extend a special thank you to Suki Wan for helping to organize the workshops and giving Master and Mrs. Meng a tour of London. He was a real gentleman.

The tour included both public workshops and private training covering Hong Kong Wing Chun, Chinese Wing Chun, and Shaolin Wing Chun.

A comprehensive report is in the works.

Suki
09-14-2006, 06:25 AM
It was a pleasure having Master Meng and Mrs Meng as my guests in London. And i hope this will the beginning of many more visits from the VTM and HFY family to the UK.

As always the training in the Shaolin WC Kiu Sau has reveal yet another layer of temple knowlege, allowing me a better overview in the referencing of time and space.

Hi Tony i am sure there will be many opportunities to come over in the future, better start saving up now !

canglong
09-14-2006, 05:13 PM
Hi Suki,
How's the family and the training? Sounds like you guys had a good time of it. I hear it was a rough crowd but all things considered everyone left a little bit better off for having attended.

Suki, were you familiar with any of the families in attendance before the workshop. What are some of the topics of the VTM and how were they received?

Sounds like a good time hopefully as you say my ability to plan ahead now that this might become somewhat of a regular event at least for the near future it might be possible to participate and visit with you and your family next time. I look forward to such an event.

Take care Suki tell the family hello from the family in the Desert.

Suki
09-15-2006, 01:10 AM
Tony,

Family great thanks, and loving family life.....................

I was only present at the East Grinstead and Holborn workshops and both went smoothly and from the feedback i got, everyone had a good time and all were very impressed with Master Meng's depth knowledge and skill.

Late for work will write more later.............say hi to my kung fu bro's in scorching AZ.

VTM
09-26-2006, 06:55 AM
September 2 & 3, 2006
First United Kingdom Workshop by the Ving Tsun Museum
Lincoln
Hosted by Jason Kokkorakis

This was the first in a series of VTM workshops by Curator Benny Meng. It was a great success. Master Meng has the opportunity to do three workshops with three separate Wing Chun families in the UK.

The host Sifu were:

Sifu Jason Kokkorakis (Lincoln)
Sifu Mark Hobbs (West Sussex)
Sifu Steve Setters (London)

We would like to publicly thank these three Sifu for the time and effort involved, their generosity, and the positive attitudes of themselves and their students.

We would also like to extend a special thank you to Suki Wan for helping to organize the workshops and giving Master and Mrs. Meng a tour of London. He was a real gentleman.

The tour included both public workshops and private training covering Hong Kong Wing Chun, Chinese Wing Chun, and Shaolin Wing Chun.

*written from interview with Sifu Benny Meng*

We flew in Friday to Gatwick airport. From there we had to take a train to meet up with Sifu Jason Kokkorakis, the host for the weekend’s workshop. The train ride was an hour-and-a-half and after he picked us up we still had an hour drive to get to Lincoln. It was a good way to see the British countryside.

We lodged at a nice country-club, almost like a summer home right by the lake. It was a very nice atmosphere. We spent the rest of the day and evening settling in, relaxing, and getting to know Sifu Jason.

On Saturday, there were two groups at the workshop. About 12 students of the host, Sifu Jason and 5 students from the Chu Sau Lei (Robert Chu) method, let by Sifu Alan Orr (Sifu Chu's UK student)

Overview

The main topic of the workshop was the Ip Man lineage of Wing Chun, based on research conducted by the Ving Tsun Museum. Sub-topics included:

- Wing Chun history based on the Southern Shaolin
- VTM’s Approach in studying and learning Wing Chun based on Concepts (Sik, Ying, Yi)
- Centerline, Facing, and Straight Line concepts based on Section One of Siu Nim Tau form
- Drills and Exercises:
1) Paak Sau
2) Laap Sau
3) Daan Chi Sau
4) Chi Sau
4a) Pun Sau
4b) Luk Sau

The original plan was to cover Paak Sau, Laap Sau, and Daan Chi Sau on Saturday, leaving the Chi Sau exercises for all day Sunday. Because of a special request from Sifu Alan Orr and his students, we switched the Chi Sau to Saturday because they were only staying for the first day.

Start of workshop

The Saturday workshop started at 10:00 AM.

When we got there, all the participant were already there. I went around the room and introduced myself.

From the beginning to the lunch break around 1:00 pm, I covered:
• History
• Philosophy
• Theory based on Ip Man Siu Nim Tau - For those of you that are familiar with the VTM’s Ip Man program, we focus on the concepts of Centerline, Facing, Straight Line in section one of Siu Nim Tau.

Before lunch we did some physical, hands-on training primarily dealing with Centerline, Facing (which primarily deals with Gate Theory), and Straight Line. During this session, I could tell that both groups had never been exposed to such an in-depth perspective.

After lunch, we resumed the workshop on the topic of Chi Sau. Because Sifu Alan’s group was interested in HFY, I told everyone that there are many Chi Sau methods and gave them a context. I used that opportunity to talk about HFY Kiu Sau, Chi Kiu, and Chi Sau. My purpose was to show people that there was more than just Chi Sau in the Wing Chun family, contrary to what most people think.

Once the physical training started, I covered Pun Sau, Luk Sau, and Single Hand Strikes (Daan Da), which is based on the VTM’s Ip Man Training Curriculum. I took workshop participants through a step-by-step progression so there were more technical details.

I thanked Sifu Alan for his participation in the workshop on Saturday. He and his students were more interested in learning about the Hung Fa Yi system but unfortunately for them this trip was focused on the Ip Man system. We all trained together and at the end, everyone left with a smile.

We ended the first day’s workshop and Sifu Jason’s group had dinner planned. We went to a nice marina by the river; we had a nice dinner at a classy Thai restaurant. And the prices were outrageous!

Sunday, September 5, 2006

We started the second day at 10:00 am, picking up where we left off on Sunday. We went back to cover the main concepts of the Ip Man lineage Siu Nim Tau and relate those concepts to the exercises of Paak Sau, Laap Sau, Daan Chi Sau, Pun Sau, and Luk Sau. Sifu Jason’s group was very happy with the overall workshop.

On Sunday, I went back and covered extensive details on history and philosophy. And on the little bit I covered of HFY on Saturday, which was the Kiu Sau/Chi Kiu/Chi Sau/Saan Da and Three/Six/Four Gate Fighting concepts.

After the workshop, Sifu Jason took us to Lincoln’s landmark: Lincoln Cathedral. This is a 1,000 year old cathedral and is incredible! You can find out more by going here: http://www.lincolncathedral.com/. It features a lot of amazing architecture and was used as one of the sets for The Da Vinci Code movie.

Sunday night we went back to Sifu Jason’s beautiful lake-front home and discussed the prospects of a future workshop. After more training, he cooked a nice spaghetti dinner. He’s excited about continued cooperation into the future.

Workshop Feedback from Sifu Jason’s students:

Thank you for an enlightening weekend, I highly valued the historical background and your approach to teaching the concepts. I would welcome the opportunity to train with you again in the future.
- Ron

Thank you very much for a highly enjoyable and informative seminar. I feel I gained much insight into the system and the seminar helped correct several errors in my form. I particularly enjoyed the historical and philosophical aspects. It is good to meet a member of the VT so dedicated to showing an open mind towards families and styles. Best wishes and hope to see you again.
- Simon B.

A nice approach, open and thoughtful. I enjoyed both days. The history was informative and I wish you luck for the future. Who knows we may meet again. Thanks.
- Sam Denny

Thank you, Sifu Benny Meng, for a very informative workshop. It dealt with a more educational side to history, self-defense, and fighting. In particular I enjoyed the variations of drills you showed and also how they applied through application. Overall a log of info has been exposed to me. Regards.
- Theo

Sifu Meng’s seminar was even more interesting for me due to his discussion on the relation to Buddhism, especially Zen Buddhism, and energy levels, dimensions, etc. an excellent day. Thank you.
- Jon M.

I really enjoyed the workshop and found that Sifu Benny was rather effective as a teacher. This helped me refresh my knowledge and redirect several misconceptions, also providing much insight into the history and context.
- Malcolm F.

Very enjoyable and informative weekend. Great new perspective on concepts. I found Benny Meng to be very knowledgeable.
- Scott Murray

Sifu Meng’s seminar was excellent. I learned a lot and he is a nice guy. He also taught me the secret of invisibility. =)
- Ben L.

The workshop was enjoyable and informative. Sifu Meng was very open and skillful and did not try to promote himself or commercialize the two days.
- Pedro

The workshop was without doubt the most informative I’ve been too. Very enjoyable. I learnt a lot. Excellent. Thank you very much.
- Duane H.

Monday, September 4, 2006

On Monday morning, we had a relaxing start to our day. I went for a run around the lake, about two miles and Sifu Jason brought over some pastries for breakfast. We met up with him later at 1:00 pm at his place for more training and discussion. I covered some of the terminology in the Ip Man lineage and went into how the definitions of the terms connect to the techniques.

About 1:30, Suki Wan and Sifu Mark Hobbs arrived to take up to London. Suki is a student of Sifu Richard Loewenhagen in Phoenix. Sifu Mark is a well-traveled and experienced instructor and also runs a martial art supply store. He’s been to Phoenix once with Suki to train in HFY. We made our introductions and then had some light conversation, mostly around the Sifu and Schools in the UK and the politics of the martial arts community there.

About 3:30 pm we left Sifu Jason’s place to head to Croyton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croydon), which is just outside London. Once we arrived, we went to a small Chinese Center. By this time, it was about 8:00 pm. While we were there we visited a Chinese Market and picked up some snacks and drinks. We then went next door for dinner, which was very good. Around 10:30 pm we were dropped off at our hotel, “Jury’s Inn.” The hotel was very close to where Suki lives and was close to a train station that’s open 24 hours a day. It was very convenient for us to go to the City.

VTM
09-26-2006, 06:57 AM
Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Tuesday was the only full day we had free. Suki and Sifu Mark took the opportunity to take us sightseeing around London.

The day started around 9:00 am with a Full English Breakfast (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_English_breakfast) at the hotel.

At 10:00 am we started our tour, meeting Suki and Sifu Mark at the train station. Suki purchased an all-day public transportation pass for the four of us and we took the train to Victoria, where we got on a bus that took us to our first destination in London.

We walked through Green Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Park) to arrive at Buckingham Palace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckingham_Palace). This is where Queen has all her events and does her public showings.

We saw a crowd of tourists, including ourselves, just watching how still the guards were standing. After a few moments, we saw the “changing of the guards” which contained military-like, ritualistic movements and marching.

Them we moved on to visit Whitehall (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitehall), the government offices. Along the way we saw horses and men in uniform marching down the street. This section of road gets closed off during royal weddings and such.

When we arrived at the Whitehall area, we couldn’t get too close to the actual government buildings because they were being guarded.

Around 1:30 pm we arrived at London Chinatown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown_%28London%29). We walked around Chinatown and of course I stopped at a bookstore.

We also stopped at a small Martial Art supply store. One gentleman approached me and asked if he was a martial artist. He introduced himself, mentioning that he was teaching some type of martial program at Whitehall, wanting to make some connections.

We had lunch – some typical Chinese noodle soup meal. It was quite good.

Then we continued on to our next destination, Big Ben (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ben). Big Ben is actually the name for the bell that is inside the Clock Tower, the famous clock tower in London. Along the way, we saw the London Eye (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Eye), a huge Farris-wheel where tourist could get the total view of London.

From the Clock Tower, we took our first ever ride in the famous London Black Cabs and went to the Tower of London (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Tower), the castle where Henry VIII chopped off the heads of 8 wives because none of them were able to give him a son. The architecture, details and size of the London Tower is indescribable with words – you have to see it to believe it. At the London Tower we waited for about 15 minutes to meet up with Sifu Steve Setters, another Wing Chun teacher/student in the UK. He greeted us with some small gifts.

Then we went to Covent Market (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covent_Garden_Market) for some eye shopping. This open market features jewelry, scarves, clocks, picture frames, crafts, artwork, outdoor cafes, small shops, and local talents (singing, shows, and such).

From there we walked to Tower Bridge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_bridge) (not to be confused with London Bridge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Bridge)) and enjoyed the view.

Afterwards we went on to where the millionaires park their yachts. Dead, smack in the middle of it was the famous Starbucks, where we relaxed a little with coffee and tea and, of course, conversation about Wing Chun.

Sifu Steve had to leave to teach class and the rest of us headed to Harrods Department Store (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrods). While there, we saw a big sculpture of Princess Diana and her secret boyfriend, Dodi Al-Fayed. The size of this department store is massive and it truly “high-class” in design. It has all of the designer brands you can think of, a food court with exotics… check out their website (http://www.harrods.com) to see more.

We then headed back to Croydon, and stopped by Suki’s place to meet his wife Jenny and daughter Chloe (23 months old and very cute).

For dinner we went to a Spanish restaurant, which was the first Spanish meal for Simo and me.

By the time we got back to our hotel, it was almost 11 pm. We were quite tired after all that walking for miles and miles.

Wednesday, September 6, 2006

10:30 AM – we left our hotel to get a quick carryout breakfast at the train station

11:00 AM – Suki came to our hotel to pick us up and we headed off to Sifu Mark’s school (stopped at a Chinese bakery shop on way).

12:00 PM – Arrived at Sifu Mark’s school, sort of out in the country, at Ashurst Woods, West Sussex.

12:40 PM – Before the workshop, I gave some private instruction to Suki and Sifu Mark at their request. We trained primarily on Hung Fa Yi for the two of them: Jung Sin Jong Sau, Yi Sin Jong Sau, and Baai Jong Baat Bo Jin.

2:30 PM – Went to lunch at “Java and Jazz” pizza parlor. The interesting thing was that the pizzas were not cut into slices, we had to use a knife and fork to eat them.

3:45 PM – Returned to Sifu Mark’s School. I went over some qigong exercises and then worked on Saam Sing Jong Kiu Sau.

5:30 PM – I had two interviews, one for a local newspaper and the other for a popular martial art magazine. At this time we also did a photo shoot for Sifu Mark’s website and online martial arts supply shop.

7:00 PM – The workshop started at Sifu Mark’s school and finished around 10:00 PM. There were 31 participants, with a lot of good energy. This workshop was again primarily on Ip Man lineage Wing Chun. I started with a brief overview of history and philosophy and then went straight into Chi Sau. The group was a mix of beginners to seasoned martial artists – there was even a silver medalist in Chi Sau in attendance. The whole group was easy to work with, open minded and willingness to test themselves, the training and each other in a cooperative manner – the learning environment was very positive. Sifu Mark is a seasoned martial artist and has traveled extensively to find the best teachers; his positive attitude is reflected in his students.

After the workshop we took some more pictures and we left around 11:15 PM.

12:00 AM – We stopped at KFC to pick up a Late Dinner. In the UK, instead of ordering “to go” they order “take away.” We decided to try it because Suki and I have had KFC in Hong Kong, which is very good because the chicken is fresh instead of frozen. In this case, however, it was the worst meal of the trip.

Thursday, September 7, 2006

This was our last full day in the UK.

We started with breakfast at 11:30 - Dim Sum! It was ok but very expensive compared to the US or Hong Kong. Over breakfast, we discussed future plans and workshops, business opportunities, and becoming HFY members and instructors. Sifu Mark was very interested in this.

After breakfast, Simo went shopping while I went to Suki’s for more training with him and Sifu Mark. I covered Advanced Siu Nim Tau, SNT Applications, and Saam Sing Jong Kiu Sau.

Afterwards we took one more trip to London, about an hour’s drive.

My last workshop was at 6:40 PM at LA Fitness with Sifu Steve. We had about 20 people attend and I covered the Ip Man lineage of Wing Chun. Topics included: history (especially the term Yim Wing Chun), Philosophy, Sik/Ying/Yi methods of VTM, Paak Sau, Daan Chi Sau, Pun Sau, and Luk Sau. I was also interviewed again, this time for a combat magazine, and we took photos. Suki and Sifu Mark were also at this workshop. Towards the end of the workshop I took the opportunity to discuss HFY with the Sifu and the senior students that were present. Most often, when I go out and meet the Wing Chun community, people are normally only interested in perspectives from their own unique families and they are usually pretty close minded or feel threatened by new information that is contrary to their view. This is the overall attitude in most cases – but this case was an exceptions. All the instructors were excited and quite eager to learn a new perspective on Wing Chun.

It was my first time meeting Sifu Steve. Like the previous hosts I met on this trip, he was a gentleman and an excellent host. His students really reflected Sifu Steve’s teaching and attitude well.

After the workshop, Sifu Steve had reservations at a very nice Chinese Restaurant, Phoenix Palace for 10:00 PM. We had a great dinner and further discussion on future cooperation. Towards the end, there was another table next to us of Chinese nationals – five girls and two older gentleman. They started to sing – it turned out the girls were professional singers. So we had dinner and a free show! We got back to the hotel around 1:00 AM.

Friday, September 8, 2006

Simo and I got up at 6:00 AM and headed to the airport by 6:45 AM. We flew out of London Gatwick Airport – probably the most hectic airport I’ve ever been to… it was packed, the lines were long and we had to go through four security checkpoints. But we made it home safely. And cursed the terrorists for the inconvenience they’ve caused.

Overall, after three workshops I believe the trip was very successful based on comments from the hosts and participants. All three would like to host me again.

We made quite a number of new friends, had the opportunity to see London and the surrounding countryside with my lovely wife, and opened up further cooperation for the VTM and HFY in the UK. And the weather was beautiful – sunny the whole trip. My hosts asked me to bring the Sun with me when I come back next year.

I would like to say thanks again to Suki and Sifu Mark for giving Simo and I a tour of London and setting up the workshops. They really went out of their way to make my wife and I feel very welcome.