PDA

View Full Version : practice Jian

Corwyn
09-09-2006, 05:55 PM
I've been searching for a practical everyday jian I could use for class.
Everything I am finding seems to fall into 2 categories
The sheet metal flimsy wushu stuff that sells everywhere for sub $100
or the @$1000 real swords from places like East Wind and other sources
through sword forum. And while I know that at some point I will buy one of these, it isn't a sword I would take to class on a daily basis.

I am looking for something that gives real weight and balance, but isn't sharp and
isn't something I have to obsess about taking care of.

I had looked at some of the Adam Shu and Hanwie stuff - had one on order from MAM for 3 months but has not been filled - anyone have experience with any of these? Any other suggestions?

Corwyn

Mantis Pride
09-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Sigung Norman's site has everything.:) :D I should go visit them today.

Corwyn
09-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Sigung Norman's site has everything.:) :D I should go visit them today.

Is that the link above or some other site?
Please inform. Thanks

C

YMC
09-24-2006, 07:00 AM
Sevenstars Trading, a dealer in antiques is now selling modern pieces. Some of the jian are in the 490-500 dollar range, which is smack in the middle of the price range between the cheap wushu pieces and some of the higher end ones. There is a a little video clip of Scott Rodell (owner and taichi instructor/practioner) in the homepage cutting with one of 500 dollar monosteel Royal Peony jians. Scott has said that these modern swords compare very favorably to antiques. I'm sure you could talk to him about getting a piece that isn't sharp or have the edges rebated.

www.sevenstarstrading.com

Corwyn
09-24-2006, 12:52 PM
yes, I've seen those swords. Actually sI've seen the Peopny and the carp swords at a few other sites for as much as $150 less. I wrote them off thinking that they were not worth it.

c

YMC
09-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Actually sI've seen the Peopny and the carp swords at a few other sites for as much as $150 less.

Cool! Just make sure that those are the same swords from Fred Chen; the fittings, if my memory isn't wrong, are from a common supplier and can be found in swords from different makers. Heck, sometimes the same forge may provide very similar looking swords that are different in terms of weight or balance to different companies.

Corwyn
09-25-2006, 09:04 AM
oughh, this is getting worse than buying a car.

I just want a nice sword that wont fall apart while practicing
and without having to spend a weeks pay.

C

qiphlow
09-25-2006, 11:52 AM
ah, yes--the quest for the perfect jian. i myself have been looking for about 7 or 8 years. i'll have to check the 2 links mentioned in this thread, and i didn't know that seven star was selling modern pieces. you could also check kris cutlery--i think the weapons are made in the phillippines, but they do take orders for custom pieces. you have to call for this service. last i looked, they were charging about $150 for their jian

Etrikkin
05-11-2007, 12:21 AM
http://www.masterforge.co.uk/index.html

this site had some decent "look" swords on it and the site says they're made very nice. Well the mats they "use" are good but you never know until you hold it.

Ican't find a dang weapon anywhere worth buying for the price unless i go to sword shows which are rare in my state.

zhangxihuan
05-11-2007, 08:21 AM
hanwei's are pretty descent. I am fairly sure they have a non-wushu steel version of a jian that is NOT sharp. which would be good for using in class if you don't want to cut your hand off. However, I'm not sure if they are still manufacturing it... but you might want to check it out. I have a Hanwei sword and am very satisfied with it. Its worth the $120-$170 it will cost you.

Michael Dasargo
05-11-2007, 11:56 AM
I've been searching for a practical everyday jian I could use for class.
Corwyn

Hello Corwyn,

If you are considering Solo practice, Scott Rodell should provide you with solid information. He comes from a family rooted in antique business so he would be a reliable source for finding the balance between antiquity and price.

If you are considering jianshu sparring practice, I HIGHLY recommend the CS Jian manufactured by www.WorldJianshu.org .

Most Jians are either made by an engineer, or a martial artist. Alex Wang, student of Jason Tsou, is an engineer. Being both a TCMA and an engineer, they manufactured 6 prototype carbon-polymer jians to arrive at the final design which has the perfect balance of safety and functionality.

For today’s times, it is the MOST FUNCTIONAL jian you can purchase.

A paintball is no 45 caliber, but you'll develop more skill by paintball sim. rounds than by shooting targets and polishing guns all day.

M.Dasargo

NorthernShaolin
05-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Some people like this place. Click on traditional weapons.

http://www.kungfudirect.com/

alextse4
05-17-2007, 09:01 PM
You may check "wansword.com", they forge the swords designed by me.
attached is the Mantis sword with laminated steel.