PDA

View Full Version : I'm a published author!

Chief Fox
09-11-2006, 11:09 AM
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=677

Now that I'm a know it all author, I'm really going to be difficult to deal with. :D

Thanks Gene!

lunghushan
09-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Wow, congratulations! That was quick ... Gene only asked you about that a couple of weeks ago, right?

Chief Fox
09-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks. Not exactly sure when. It's probably been about 6 weeks or so. Maybe a little more.

SPJ
09-11-2006, 11:20 AM
super kool.

:)

lunghushan
09-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks. Not exactly sure when. It's probably been about 6 weeks or so. Maybe a little more.

Blink and 2 months go by. LOL

Oso
09-11-2006, 11:25 AM
sweet, congrats.

Ray Pina
09-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Good read.... and inspiring. I might give it a go myself one of these days.

Chief Fox
09-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys. I'm pretty psyched about it.

Since building that first wooden dummy I've built two others. One for a friend and the last one for my sifu.

If anyone plans on building one, feel free to contact me. I'd be happy to help.

PlumDragon
09-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Chief, very cool! Good stuff!

I was able to procure a similar piece of wood for a dummy almost a year ago, except mine still had the bark on it when I got it so I had to remove it myself, by hand...not fun. Its ready to go except I havent decided how Im gonna keep the thing standing yet, so it has sat in the garage unused for the last 10 months... =)

IronFist
09-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Nice work.

I built a dummy years ago, too. You can see pics in the link in my sig (my plans aren't free, but I've been known to give discounts to KFMers) :)

Anyway, seriously, your dummy looks good. And that's a big compliment from me because I totally talk smack about dummies that aren't "right."

Chief Fox
09-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Nice work.

I built a dummy years ago, too. You can see pics in the link in my sig (my plans aren't free, but I've been known to give discounts to KFMers) :)

Anyway, seriously, your dummy looks good. And that's a big compliment from me because I totally talk smack about dummies that aren't "right."
Thanks man, that means a lot. I've seen the pics of your dummy. Also, very nice work. I considered buying your plans but I wanted to give it a try on my own first. I like the idea of the PVC body but wanted to try to make one from wood.

I know what you mean by dummies that "aren't right". While doing research to build my dummy I came across pictures of several dummies that were just plain wrong. Like the arms are too wide or the body is too big. Or the arms and leg were made from pvc. All bad in my book.

Thanks again. :)

Faruq
09-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Kudos, bro! Though I thought almost all styles of gong fu used wooden dummies. I was surprised when you said you were under the impression you could only use it for wing chun, though if you thought it, there're probably hundreds if not thousands of other people who are still under that impression. Even the Chan Tai San stories thread talks about him having blueprints for hundreds of different wooden dummies.

But considering that, you've done a great service to a great many people in writing your article.

David Jamieson
09-11-2006, 04:12 PM
How does it feel? really. :)

Samurai Jack
09-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Good job Chief Fox. Back in my seven star mantis days my Sifu had a wooden dummy that was very similar to yours but the top two arms had some sort of thick springs on it so that you could brush them aside or pull on them when performing technique. Unfortunately I never got to play with it since I only practiced there for a very short time, but the senior students would do exactly as you are doing breaking down forms and then using them for sparring.

I always liked your style quite a bit, but alas, I've never found anyone who teaches it since. Have you seen the Mantis "spring arm" dummies?

Chief Fox
09-12-2006, 07:43 AM
Good job Chief Fox. Back in my seven star mantis days my Sifu had a wooden dummy that was very similar to yours but the top two arms had some sort of thick springs on it so that you could brush them aside or pull on them when performing technique. Unfortunately I never got to play with it since I only practiced there for a very short time, but the senior students would do exactly as you are doing breaking down forms and then using them for sparring.

I always liked your style quite a bit, but alas, I've never found anyone who teaches it since. Have you seen the Mantis "spring arm" dummies?
I have seen pictures of them but never anything good enough so I could get an idea of how to make some but it could be interesting to make a set for my dummy.

The way you describe the way the senior students were using the spring arms sounds pretty cool. I'll have to think about this.

Thanks. :)

Faruq
09-12-2006, 10:58 AM
There's at least one picture of Chan Tai San using one with spring arms on the CTS Stories thread.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34317&page=31

#451 04-07-2005, 03:14 PM
lkfmdc
I'm right, TRUST ME! Join Date: Dec 1969

Sifu Chan had designs for literally hundreds of different kinds of dummies, we set up a few, but space, and other practical considerations prevented all from getting set up....

(see attached pic)

rogue
09-13-2006, 07:19 PM
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=677

Now that I'm a know it all author, I'm really going to be difficult to deal with. :D

Thanks Gene!

Oh, I thought you finally got published in Penthouse Forum.

Yo Faruq, Jimmy Roselli was the man in the day, in some neighborhoods.

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-13-2006, 09:46 PM
i just got wood.

Kapten Klutz
09-14-2006, 05:18 AM
Nice article, thanks. I might try building one next summer.