PDA

View Full Version : Lefty Problems

BlueTravesty
09-11-2006, 10:41 PM
No, this isn't a political thread :D

I'm having trouble in sparring when my opponent takes a left-leading stance. In order to "close myself off." I'll do likewise, but I honestly feel paralyzed. It's not just a matter of my left side being weaker, it's a matter of being just about unable to do anything on my left side. I've taken temporary measures such as using a "space-making" technique like a sidekick or backfist to buy time to change my feet, and I have a good "trick punch" that i can do if I lead off with a right leg push kick. But I would like to be able to hold my own on my left side as well. I've tried taking a more "squared-up" stance, but my stomach eats shots like crazy that way. The right-side stance gives me much better defense, but my left side is a liability.

I'm gonna keep trying to spar on that side to help even things out, but is there anything else I can do to make it more "natural" on that side?

Shaolin
09-11-2006, 11:34 PM
If you're a beginer don't worry about it, first get good at one side before training the other. Trying to train both sides at the begining level will only confuse you. If not a beginer and you are a traditionalist, practice all techniques and forms left handed, if not do your bag work and shadow boxing left handed, when you feel comfortable with your progress slowly start working it into your sparring. Let your partner know what you're trying to accomplish and ask him/her to go slow.

SevenStar
09-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Why exactly are you switching sides? There is technically no reason to match his lead - you should be able to use your footwork from your normal stance to maximize your advantages. for starters, keep your foot outside of his.

BlueTravesty
09-13-2006, 07:51 AM
Shaolin- I'll have to try some of that! Very sound idea. I'm thinking of just spending a day or so a week drilling my left side.

SevenStar-
A very good point. The reason I originally (quite a while ago) switched sides is because at the time we weren't allowed to kick to the back. My hands still worked just fine, but I was facing a taller opponent with longer reach and had to close the gap. In the same situation now, I would probably just slide in with a leg check, or step "around" and close in. The reason this issue has come back for me though, was because I had just thrown the guy I was sparring over my hip (we don't normally do this, but this guy keeps on trying to clinch, despite not being very good at it) Then he got up. Relative to his position, I was leading with my left, and so was he. And once again, I felt like I was "paralyzed" because my left is so clumsy. I think I might just take your suggestion though and keep the right lead. I also want to make my left stronger and more "accessible" though (as in being "accessible" for me to use it if need be.)

SevenStar
09-13-2006, 10:18 AM
gotcha. for reach problems in general, use your footwork. you're gonna have to make angles on him and get inside. As for the left side, sounds like you have a plan - work on that side more. drill footwork on that side, then start working your techniques into it.

BlueTravesty
09-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks to both of you for your help! It's one of the things I love about the Training and Health forum. :)

franco1688
09-23-2006, 07:10 AM
I can try to help you out a little bit, from a boxing perspective. In boxing, assuming a left sided stance is called being an orthodox fighter and when you fight from a right sided stance it's called southpaw. Usually, a left handed fighter adopts a southpaw stance and a righty assumes an orthodox stance. The reason that they do this is because the use their leading strikes mainly as feelers (distance) and to set up more powerful punches and combinations. I know from experience it's a lot harder and sometimes confusing for an orthodox to fight against a southpaw and vice versa. There's two ways you can tackle this, you can either perfect your southpaw style (and give a lot of orthodox fighters a hard time) or you can work on your orthodox style (using your lead weapons as feeler and set up blows followed by a more powerful strike). I know in many styles they teach you to fight from a right stance (JKD) and their philosophy is understandable. I, personally, switched to fighting with an orthodox stance and I've been pretty successful doing so. My power strikeing hands are never tied up. Sure, it may take a split second longer to land them but I set them up with the less powerful front punches. I think you should give orthodox a try. Remember, use your front weapons to set up your knock out blow. The bottom line is use whatever works best for you.