PDA

View Full Version : My brother is going to study Wing Chun

Oso
09-12-2006, 01:33 PM
just kidding. ;)

i think it's a decent school from what I've seen.

www.moyyatrichmond.com

I met the teacher briefly several years back when I stopped by one day...rather unlikely he would remember talking with me.

My brother wouldn't be training at the above location, they apparently have a satellite location near VCU, downtown. He's gonna go do 3 classes for $20 next week. He said the monthly was just $60. I told him those prices were good and he should check it out.

I'm happy he's thinking about doing some training, he wrestled in HS and learned a little bit from me time to time. I actually think WC might be a good fit for him.

Anyone have any experience with the Moy Yat group?

Any Moy Yat peeps here?

Burning Palm
09-12-2006, 03:30 PM
The Moy Yat system is solid, no nonsense, ving tsun.

Oso
09-12-2006, 06:26 PM
lol...that's the impression I get...any more to offer than that? :)

Tom Kagan
09-13-2006, 12:24 PM
...any more to offer than that? :)

Like what?

... something like "OMFG THEY ARE AWESOME"

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38965
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34371
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21374

... or perhaps "LOL THEY SUX BIGTIME"

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31725
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9317
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=478

I don't know for what you are looking. But if you or your brother wish to learn Ving Tsun, they'll probably try to teach you what they know of it.

sunfist
09-14-2006, 12:40 AM
either that or kill you and sell your organs, its always hard to tell with these things

Oso
09-14-2006, 07:59 PM
uhhh...dude, relax...have a beer, I'll buy.

just hoping to make a connection and find out how they train. it is my little brother...gotta keep an eye on him you know.

like I said, I met the sifu of that school briefly 6,7 or possibly 8 years ago...thought he was a decent enough chap and he didn't sling a bunch of bs at me.

...but, nevermind...

LOL, at sunfist. is that what WC guys do to you? The Mantis tradition, at least here in NC is a nice BBQ with plenty of beer.

sunfist
09-15-2006, 02:07 AM
Its big business, we use them for dim mak practice. I understand the BBQ idea though, you could lure them in and get them passed out with alcohol... wouldnt even have to kill them, could just leave them in a tub of ice. Thanks for the tip dude.

5Animals1Path
09-15-2006, 02:25 AM
The Moy Yat guys I know from the Philly area are laid back personality wise, and from what I know they train diligently. They're like most of the good places, they just wanna learn the best way to go about things. There might be some slight discrepancies in what everyone thinks is best, but they're genuine in wanting to really know.

We were down in Baltimore for a convention, and one of their guys and two from my school met up with a Goju guy, had a nice little spar. He (Moy Yat guy) kept his calm and went for technique, not just slugging the guy (Goju). All in all, good guys.

Oso
09-15-2006, 04:02 AM
Its big business, we use them for dim mak practice. I understand the BBQ idea though, you could lure them in and get them passed out with alcohol... wouldnt even have to kill them, could just leave them in a tub of ice. Thanks for the tip dude.

de nada

;) :D

The Moy Yat guys I know from the Philly area are laid back personality wise, and from what I know they train diligently. They're like most of the good places, they just wanna learn the best way to go about things. There might be some slight discrepancies in what everyone thinks is best, but they're genuine in wanting to really know.

We were down in Baltimore for a convention, and one of their guys and two from my school met up with a Goju guy, had a nice little spar. He (Moy Yat guy) kept his calm and went for technique, not just slugging the guy (Goju). All in all, good guys.

cool, thanks.

Tom Kagan
09-15-2006, 02:28 PM
uhhh...dude, relax...have a beer, I'll buy.

just hoping to make a connection and find out how they train. it is my little brother...gotta keep an eye on him you know.

like I said, I met the sifu of that school briefly 6,7 or possibly 8 years ago...thought he was a decent enough chap and he didn't sling a bunch of bs at me.

I know I can be obtuse at times, But, since you missed the sarcasm of my reply and the amusement I had at your vague question...

uhhh ... no dude, you relax...have a beer, you're buying.

Since you're made me guess at both a question and an answer and if you seem to have not found what you were looking for in the six links (count'em!) I gave you, could you clarify a just a little bit of what you are looking for? Maybe you'll find your answer in a seventh link: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=541082

Is there something else more you want which can actually be provided to you by anonymous postings over the internet? The place you mention is what it is. Good, bad, or indifferent, what you see is what you get.

If your brother wants to learn Ving Tsun, he will. If he or you want to know if he can learn there, then maybe you could at least meet me halfway and go to a class or two. They won't bite. (Biting is only in the super-secret 8th form handed down via ancient scrolls to a chosen few. :) )

Anyway, the local organ trade in Richmond has pretty much collapsed a long time ago - there is not much money in it anymore. With China and India becoming global players in the organ trade, your brother's liver is probably not at risk. I blame the Republicans and also Al Qaeda.

5Animals1Path
09-15-2006, 09:40 PM
cool, thanks.

No problem.

ChangHFY
09-19-2006, 07:49 AM
Hey Oso,

Hows it going? I studied Moy Yat Ving Tsun for 9 years its very technical, they introduce a lot of concepts, but there training is awesome as well. I would definately recommend it to anyone thats interested in Ving Tsun. Anyways good luck to your brother. also a side note ive found quite a few similarities between Ving Tsun and Qi Xing Tang Lang as well. So I think even you could find something useful in Ving Tsun.

take care,
zai jian

Oso
09-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks. I think he is supposed to go today for the first class. He's not specifically interested in WC/VT and I told him that, in general, the style doesn't matter and the training methodology and teacher's attitude are more important.

ChangHFY
09-20-2006, 07:09 AM
Hey Oso,

Are there any other Martial Arts systems around the area? If he's really not interested in Ving Tsun then the Moy Yat system probably isnt for him. It requires quite a bit of research and memorization as well as application. You should have him check around first before he starts a system that really doesnt interest him.
But Wing Chun (Ving Tsun) is definately an effective combat system.

take care,
zai jian

Tom Kagan
09-20-2006, 08:02 AM
If he's really not interested in Ving Tsun then the Moy Yat system probably isnt for him. It requires quite a bit of research and memorization as well as application.

Quite a bit of research and memorization? Not really, at least when compared to other methodology, IMO.

It is sometimes difficult for practitioners to separate between the actual method and the personality of a particular person teaching. With varying degrees, a particular teacher will introduce their own ideas regarding the subject material.

However from what I've observed, any given teacher's quirks and signatures usually manifest themselves not so much in the actual content of what is attempting to be taught, but in how their own method of learning skews their perspective on how others should go about learning it. That isn't really a good fit fit if a prospective student learns in a different fashion. Unfortunately, this isn't something you can usually tell until a student actually attends a few classes and is astute enough to discern where a differences are due to the teacher's perspective over the actual subject material.

If you want to "fingerprint" a Moy Yat style of teaching (whatever that means, LOL), I would say that a defining factor is one which requires of its students an elevated level of self initiative.

Oso
09-20-2006, 06:21 PM
It's not that he isn't interested in VT. It's just an opportunity due to proximity to his new work place.

AFAIK, there is only one other chinese style school in Richmond, Ba Gua I think. But, it's way out on one of the parkways on the other end of town from him. There used to be someplace on Cary St. back in the late 70's but it's not there anymore.

ChangHFY
10-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Hey Oso,

Hows everything? If hes interested I would definately recommend the Moy Yat expression of Ving Tsun. Keep us updated on how progress is going. I wish you and your brother the best.

take care,
zai jian

Oso
10-02-2006, 07:08 PM
I called him yesterday to check up on him...sadly, my brother is just one of untold millions who think taking a martial art would be cool... he hasn't gone by yet. :(

I was hoping he was going to be in there a month or two before I go up there the first weekend in November. If he hasn't gone in before then, I'm going to drag him in myself...

anyone know if the Richmond group has open floor sparring?

Charles T Rose
10-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Just this morning I was thinking about going down to check out this school because it is near my house and then I see this thread. Also my wife has been talking of wanting to move to Asheville...hmmm.

Oso
10-05-2006, 07:37 PM
If you get serious about the move to Asheville, give me a PM or email. I'll fill you in on what the Chamber of Commerce won't say. I like it here but there's a few things to know before moving here. #1 is real estate is booming like a champ and property values just got reevaluated by the county 49% higher...

but, still, a pretty great place to live.