PDA

View Full Version : Truth about conditioning is it worth it??

fiercest tiger
09-12-2006, 07:27 PM
What do you guys think, is it worth conditioning the body in external or internal kung fu?

I dont think its worth it personally after 20 yrs if beating my body up with external type kung fu. Unless you are a professional fighter and fighting constantly in pride and ufc, NHB, MMA but for longevity wise i think it can harm the person.

any comments?

Garry

TaiChiBob
09-14-2006, 04:55 AM
Greetings..

Hi Gary: I hold to the notion of "all things in moderation".. i have been through most of the conditioning disciplines, some beneficial~some harmful.. conditioning is simply a method of preparing tissue to withstand forces greater than usual.. proper conditioning is mitigated with herbs and moderation.. although i have trained for breaking solid and substantial objects, i have difficulty imagining how applicable that is to fighting.. the ability to break three concrete pavers requires such odd body mechanics that it is unlikely that opportunity would present itself in actual combat.. sure, the confidence is exhillerating, but the mis-management of tissue and bone is equally capable of harm..

Bare knuckle heavy bag work at high energy output levels is sufficient to condition hands and wrists and structure for most purposes.. it has a feed-back much more applicable to the likely conditions of combat.. sand-bag drills, tossing and catching, is useful for grip conditioning, balance, power management, core strength and, structure development.. towel wringing is a remarkably effective core conditioner, it also is great for forearm and grip development.. moderate torso conditioning (receiving mid-range power strikes with bundled bamboo), like Iron Shirt, is more about proper impact management than "conditioning..

We need conditioning at some levels just to teach our bodies about the effects energy management.. to eliminate any hesitation from worry of damage to self from using power techniques.. to familiarize structure and tissue with impact and recovery.. if you haven't prepared your shins to receive high impacts from solid objects, the first time you lock shins with someone that has, you will likely be sitting down in extreme pain.. which, also, is another benefit of conditioning, pain management.. working through it to achieve the desired outcome.. unconditioned is unprepared..

Be well..

Ford Prefect
09-14-2006, 10:41 AM
I think conditioning is important especially for longevity.

"Conditioning" certainly can be harmful, but that depends on the conditioning you are doing. Lifting your 1rm in the powerlifts every day may certainly wear on your joints and muscles. Doing exercises that premote generate muscular strength, flexability, and/or joint health will only add to anything you do. Cycle intensities, avoid overuse injuries, exercise ROM's, etc. All can be done in a safe manner that is still challenging and allows for progress.