PDA

View Full Version : Other movies' music in KF movies & a Q

Jimbo
09-12-2006, 09:02 PM
If you watch lots of old-school KF movies, you will notice often the same music bits are used movie to movie, and this music is usually from popular U.S., British, Italian or Japanese movies of the '60s or '70s.

Some examples of movies' soundtracks or parts of, used in old-school KF films:

The Spy Who Loved Me. (James Bond).

The Man with the Golden Gun.

Carrie.

Midnight Express.

War of the Gargantuas.

Star Wars.

Suspiria.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Phantasm.

Exorcist II: The Heretic.

My Name is Nobody.

Hang 'em High.

How the West was Won.

A question I have is, what is the Italian music theme that is heard in Secret Rivals I & II; Fighting Ace; The Dragon, the Hero; Battle of Shaolin, etc. Sounds like a spaghetti Western theme circa 1960s.

jethro
09-13-2006, 11:01 AM
The music in secret rivals is so good it actually gives the movie some extra life that it doesn't even deserve.

Jimbo
09-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I agree.
Well, I'm not expecting to find out what soundtrack that comes from; I've been trying to find it for years. I know it's some Italian spaghetti Western, and I don't know where else to ask.

jethro
10-02-2006, 03:51 PM
A question I have is, what is the Italian music theme that is heard in Secret Rivals I & II; Fighting Ace; The Dragon, the Hero; Battle of Shaolin, etc. Sounds like a spaghetti Western theme circa 1960s.[/QUOTE]
I heard it in the Ming Patriots the other day and also heard the Zulu soundtrack on there. Good freaking music!

Jimbo
10-02-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm willing to bet the music works better in the old KF movies than it did in the original Western movies...for example, the music in Death-Dual of Kung-Fu uses Hang 'em High's soundtrack better than the movie it was designed for. Ming Patriots (Revenge of the Patriots) is IMO the best Bruce Li (Ho Tsing-Dao) movie.

Other soundtracks found in old KF movies:

Death Rides a Horse (also heard briefly in Kill Bill).

The Return of Ringo (heard in early Shaw movies like Savage Five).

Once Upon a Time in the West.

The Outlaw Josey Wales.

I guess these are useless trivia only for the most hard-core KF and music afficionado.:D

jethro
10-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Found it. Secret Rivals theme song is from a Lee Van Cleef movie called The Big Gundown. Kung fu movies only use the instrumental version, there is a real theme song in this movie, check it out:D

Jimbo
11-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Jethro:
Thanks a lot!
It had been like finding a needle in a haystack for me!

jethro
11-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Saw this movie at a friends house on the western channel. Could not believe when I heard that song at the end of the movie.