PDA

View Full Version : Weight training for Jiang's Pa Kua

Invincible Yang
09-13-2006, 12:32 PM
I was wondering what some opinions were on using ankle, leg, and waist weights while practicing Jiang's Original form Pa Kua Chang? Being that this form is symetrical, it seems perfect for it.

kungfujunky
09-13-2006, 01:05 PM
aside from rings i use just a weight vest

might try the ankle weights though...

Ford Prefect
09-14-2006, 10:46 AM
One thing to watch for when using fixed weights on the end of your appandages is connective tissue damage. Imagine tying a rope to your wrist and tying the other end to a 5 lbs weight that is then thrown away from your body. That would be a pretty good yank that may cause damage if done enough. Essentially the same thing is happening when holding a weight and making very quick extension and retraction movements.

If you feel you must to do this, then use very light weights (<5lbs) and don't go full speed or too close to full extension.

Baqualin
09-21-2006, 12:58 PM
I was wondering what some opinions were on using ankle, leg, and waist weights while practicing Jiang's Original form Pa Kua Chang? Being that this form is symetrical, it seems perfect for it.

I agree with KFJ, the weight vest would be the best...the ankle and arm weights would be ok for the classical form since it's more free flowing without noticeable Fai Jing...for eight animal, snake and dragon you would have to be more careful because they have lots of Fai Jing in the forms.

Invincible Yang
09-24-2006, 11:10 PM
Where's a good place to get a weight vest? I've been using a 20lb weight belt, but I think a vest would be better for developing the lower back.
Also, Baqualin, have you ever tried stepping on 8 bricks while walking the circle?
I've heard it helps develope "rootedness".