PDA

View Full Version : mantis injuries

racerX
09-13-2006, 05:59 PM
On the other thread people started talking about injury,what's your mantis injury?
We all have them from sparring,fighting,weapons, forms 2 man sets,so let's hear them.
Me nothing to bad right knee little mantis form, wahlum.Took about 6 months to get it back.

Chop Socki
09-13-2006, 09:25 PM
I guess I'm one of the lucky Wah Lum students who's never suffered a significant injury, though lord knows I've been at it long enough. Only 2 things that have ever caused me to miss more than 1 or 2 classes have been the result of my own stupidity:

demonstrating "proper" sweeping technique while looking at the class I was teaching over my shoulder as I made a point, I creamed the base of one of those free-standing heavy bags and mashed a bunch of toes. I still cringe when the guy in Kung Pow says 'after all, nobody wants to lose any toes!".

during a fighting competition in Ft. Lauderdale, I turned my back and walked away when the referee stepped between me and my opponent and called 'break'. Very stupid on my part. He saw it as the perfect opportunity to round-house kick me in the ribs from behind, breaking 2. He was disqualified. I was done for the day.

That's it for my tales of woe, and like I said, I'm forced to accept responsibility for both. Everything else I've stabbed myself with, bludgeoned myself with, fallen off of, and the occassional mandatory fighting-related groin kicks I've been on the wrong side of, I've recovered from in time for the next class. I'm sure the very next post will top mine easily.

- CS

TaichiMantis
09-14-2006, 07:17 AM
Got a goose egg on my forehead from the butt end of my staff while learning yum sau gwun.:rolleyes:

yu shan
09-14-2006, 08:06 AM
A rash of shoulder problems as of late. Our system consists of many two person material, forms, drills, theory etc. With all the pounding I guess something has to give.

I stabbed myself over the weekend teaching spear to Oso`s group, my wife kissed it and made it better. ;)

Yao Sing
09-14-2006, 08:33 AM
Some of the older WL guys will remember a certain crazy guy that accidentally stabbbed himself in the leg while doing Double Daggers.

The funniest is an insult instead of injury. One of the guys was practicing Fatal Flute and MC walked by, stopped and watched him, then grabbed the Flute from him and threw it out the door and walked off.

Ha, better you don't quit your day job! :)

In sparring class we've also had a broken ankle from a leg sweep and a KO amongst the list of the usual infuries.

Yao Sing
09-14-2006, 08:34 AM
A rash of shoulder problems as of late. Our system consists of many two person material, forms, drills, theory etc. With all the pounding I guess something has to give.

Time for some Tai Chi maybe? :p

yu shan
09-14-2006, 08:59 AM
18 Elders has stabbed me a few times doing double dagger vs empty hand. We use to do this form at New Years, one time in particular in St. Pete, I bled like a pig.

Yao some Yin is a good thing.

Mantis Pride
09-14-2006, 09:31 AM
My right knee doing xaio hu yan.:mad:

monkeyfoot
09-15-2006, 09:05 AM
badly strained lower back muscles doing a tornado kick...

3 weeks and it still hurts

craig

18elders
09-15-2006, 10:26 AM
As i remember it, you put your arm it the way of the dagger, then squealed like a pig, then bled like one!!!
Only joking, there was no squealing from Yu shan, i think i noticed the blood before he did.

Shaolin Dude
09-15-2006, 09:47 PM
right now, my calf's are sore

Yao Sing
09-16-2006, 06:36 AM
Man, I really feel for ya there dude. :D

-N-
09-16-2006, 08:07 AM
The funniest is an insult instead of injury. One of the guys was practicing Fatal Flute and MC walked by, stopped and watched him, then grabbed the Flute from him and threw it out the door and walked off.
Man, that is so totally old school. I can picture that. Classic :)

yu shan
09-18-2006, 06:51 AM
18, after performing the set, lined up and looked out at the crowd. They all had this horrific look on there faces about that time is when I noticed the warm sensation running down my arm. I can picture P. Chan hurling the flute. Remember the day we were practicing a two man stick set and I missed a block and got hit in the face. Chan laughed all the way to his office. And then there was the fire wheel incidence, geez.

Yao Sing
09-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Remember the day we were practicing a two man stick set and I missed a block and got hit in the face. Chan laughed all the way to his office. And then there was the fire wheel incidence, geez.

Reminds me of the time I was doing two man stick and my partner did the wrong move. I blocked high while he whacked my shin with his ironwood stick.

As a matter of fact that happened with stick vs broadsword. I was doing stick and my partnered srewed up and hacked my leg with the broadsword. That's the problem with 2-man sets. It's rote learning and you automatically follow one move with the next. If one person screws up you're too busy following the pattern to protect yourself.

Chop Socki
09-18-2006, 05:13 PM
One day when the sifus were Orlando for training, Master Chan walked into the room and watched one of them practicing 5th form. It's a pretty challenging form and he'd been at it for a bit and had worked up a good sweat. After watching for a few minutes, Master Chan offered this advice:

'hey, maybe you go teach Tai Kwon Do instead, I think you do very good there'.

As I recall, the sifu thanked him for the suggestion.

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of demonstrating your material for Master Chan, sitting thru the whole thing is his version of a standing ovation. In most cases, he'll find something he doesn't care for long before you get to the end and just get up and walk out of the room. The meaning is quite clear :(

- CS

Yao Sing
09-18-2006, 07:05 PM
Yep, MC's praise goes starts at 'not so bad' and goes downhill from there.

I broke my nose once back in my Kenpo days while testing for Green Belt. I was surrounded by the rest of the class and Sensei was queing each one to attack me. I thought I was doing good until he sent Hal, the very large Brown Belt. Guess I zigged when I should have zagged and got a close up view of his fist.

I stopped for a second and Sensei hollered 'street situation' so I had to keep fighting until he saw that I was bleeding on his floor. Then he hollered at me for bleeding and sent me to get cleaned up. I passed the test.

El Tejon
09-19-2006, 05:18 AM
Working on a pulled left Achilles tendon.:(

Have wacked myself with weapons (especially the 3 § staff), had bloody noses and get poked in the eyes a lot during sticky hands (I'm a little taller than most and I think the angle is too tempting).

Shaolin Dude
09-19-2006, 10:08 PM
crap, injured myself again.

we were doing a jumping roundhouse kick on pads and while in mid air, I felt my right knee twist a little.