PDA

View Full Version : Attn:Knifefighter or anyone else who is an expert on strength & conditioning

Badger
10-22-2001, 08:49 PM
How many times a week is recommended for bodyweight exercises?
Do they need to be done every other day or whatever like weights or can you do them everyday?

Thanks!!
Badger

"When life hands you a blank, load it anyway and act real intimidating."--Unknown l

Knifefighter
10-22-2001, 09:01 PM
Badger:
A general principle of conditioning is that you don't do the same thing two days in a row. There are several ways to accomplish this. One is to train totally different exercises on different days. Another is to alternate hard and easy days. Still another is to include a rest day in between workout days. A good, "periodized" program will usually include all of these as well as several others.

So, the answer to your question is that you can do body weight exercises every day, or every two or three days, as long as you follow the basic principle.

MIKSANSOO
10-22-2001, 09:04 PM
hey knife,

quick question. what do you prefer for strength training free weight or those strength machines? free weights i like but dont have a spotter most of the time. how can i equal the two?

"you can take my life, but not my confidence"
Jimmy H. Woo

Badger
10-22-2001, 09:05 PM
Just what I needed.
Thank you for the reply!

Badger

"When life hands you a blank, load it anyway and act real intimidating."--Unknown l

Badger
10-22-2001, 09:10 PM
What are your best exercises for fight training which can include free weight,bodyweight or whatever?

Badger

È

MIKSANSOO
10-22-2001, 09:13 PM
ditto on badgers question. good one!

"you can take my life, but not my confidence"
Jimmy H. Woo

Mr. Nemo
10-22-2001, 09:28 PM
Knifefighter: When you say you can do bodyweight exercises every day, do you mean you can do pushups one day and squats the next, but not pushups or squats two days in a row? If so, what is the reasoning behind this? If you're not sore, why wait the extra day?

"quick question. what do you prefer for strength training free weight or those strength machines?"

I'm not knifefighter, but everything I've ever heard and expereinced says stay away from the machines. They don't really build useful strength. You don't need a spotter for all freeweight exercises, you can devise a workout that doesn't require a spotter.

Watchman
10-22-2001, 09:38 PM
here's something I pulled off of the Kickboxing forum at mma.com - and have starting using - that has to do with "developing chin" to help condition against knockouts.

The exercise was posted by a pro Thai Boxer:

Take a good sized dumbell (40 lbs. +) and tie a fairly thick cord around the ends of the handle. Put a piece of rag or a towel around the cord, put the other end in your mouth, and then bite down on the cord and do neck raises while gripping it with your jaw.

Dragon Warrior
10-22-2001, 09:38 PM
my training bro does pushups everyday, and know he does about 150. Once you start to get used to it, i think you can do it everyday, Same with dips, pullups, etc.

For years, religion did nothing but divide. (killa priest)

Religion is like a prison for the seekers of wisdom. (killa priest)

Badger
10-22-2001, 09:44 PM
I believe I read in one of my old Jeet Kune Do books that Bruce Lee did something similar.

Badger

Dragon Warrior
10-22-2001, 09:48 PM
at the gym i go to, they have a "helmet" type of device that weight hangs off of. you can do various neck excersises with it. Would that have the same effect as what you were talking about, or does it have to be in your mouth.

LEGEND
10-22-2001, 09:52 PM
Funny thing is most MMA art guys do a mix of lifting weights and body weight exercises...various push ups, chin ups, abs and squats...it depends on your goal. For fast strength gain u should use free weights...MIKESANSOO...I suggest using dumbbells.

A

Badger
10-22-2001, 09:53 PM
In the JKD book I was talking about it said Bruce used it to develop his jaw & neck.I am not so sure how effective that was.Anyone know?

I also remember in the same book B.Lee using a headlock type machine.Anyone know anything about that or how to make o ne?

Badger

"When life hands you a blank, load it anyway and act real intimidating."--Unknown

Dragon Warrior
10-22-2001, 09:55 PM
all you really need is a bench machine with various plates. you can work every muscle group with a straight bar and some plates. Of course if you really want to get into strengthing the body, do a variation of all excersises is the way to go.

Watchman
10-22-2001, 10:04 PM
I'm not a pro Thai boxer, and only started doing the exercise last night, so I wouldn't be able to comment on the subtelties of the benefits.

However, from what I gathered from the guys who posted the exercise and commented on it on the original thread, the intent is to increase the functional strength of both the neck AND the jaw, thereby helping to prevent knockouts from blunt force impact (ie. kicks and punches).

Using a helmet would seem to help the neck, but wouldn't do much for the jaw.

Knifefighter
10-22-2001, 10:27 PM
Mike:
Machines are a bit better when you are first learning to lift. They let you learn most of the principles of lifting while keeping your risk of injury relatively low. Most research shows that free weights are usually better for more advanced lifters, especially for transfer to other activities such as martial arts.

Nemo is right. As long as you are lifting correctly and take a couple of precautions, you don't really need a spotter for most free weight exercises.

Best exercises for fight training? As a general rule, the exercises with the most transfer of training are probably explosive, multi-joint or full body exercises. Some examples of these would be snatches, cleans, jerks, push-presses, pull downs, pull ups, bench press, power curls, squat jumps, and explosive push ups. It is also a good idea to make sure you include strengthening exercises for the abdominal and lower back regions, as well as some injury prevention exercises for areas such as the rotator cuff and hamstrings that tend to be weaker and prone to injury.

Nemo:
Yes, doing pushups one day and squats the next would be one way to do it. That would be the first example I gave above. You could also do them everyday, as long as you follow the "hard/easy" rule. For example a hard day might include five or six sets to failure on each exercise while an easy day might consist of only one or two sets without going to failure. You could also do "hard pushup/ easy squat" day followed by "easy pushup/hard squat" day. There are a myriad of ways to incorporate this one principle. The reason for this is actually quite complicated, but the simple answer is that you receive more training effect if you are not working the same muscles in the same way every day. You also significantly increase your risk of tendonitis if you are doing the same thing day after day.

brucelee2
10-23-2001, 01:50 AM
knifefighter,

could you please mention some injury prevention exercises for the rotator cuff? thankx

Go forward, my son, and
be like unto a torch
upon the darkness. Thou
are stripped now, of all
that was before. Look
not to thy fellow men
for guidance or
countenance- they canst
advise you no longer.
Thou shalt be as dust
now, and dust shall be
upon the tongues of thy