PDA

View Full Version : Sifu James McNeil

Dragon Fire
07-12-2001, 08:31 PM
Has anyone ever heard of this guy? Is he a legitimate(sp?) teacher? I have an opportunity to train under one of his students. Thanks in advance.

Stranger
07-13-2001, 02:47 PM
Sorry about telling you to post this here and then getting no responses.

There are old threads here (on the tai chi board)about McNeil.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

TheBigToad
07-16-2001, 10:24 PM
I might get hell for this but James McNeil is pretty decent. He isn't a slacker and had the same Hsing-I teacher Mike Patterson did, he knows his fighting applications.

I am the big toad and this is my pond.

Stranger
09-06-2001, 03:11 PM
Come on. There has to be more input on him.
Thanks Kevin.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

razakdigital
09-06-2001, 03:46 PM
I have a tape of McNeil and I read some interviews. From what I saw he looks like a good fighter. He might not have the most fluid form but you can tell when someone knows their stuff. He alignment and structure is good. One of our clan elders is a Hsing fighter and he is in Cali. He stated (from my understanding) that the guy has power and is the real deal. (as everyone knows we don't impressed easily by anyone)

I'm just a mere mortal when it comes to learning Hsing-I. I think you have to know what you are looking for. If you looking for hsing-i forms, there many good websites to get some nice wushu forms. ( I have a lot of them). But there are (from my research) a few people that can really use Hsing-I to the fullest. I hope to be one of them.

blkbelt65
01-24-2002, 10:12 AM
The guy is useless. Check out his tapes. He's a joke. A buddy of mine asked him why he advertises that his tapes teach kicking, when they teach NONE at all and he sent him a VIRUS. Can you believe that crap!!!??? Yeah, that's something I would look for in a teacher. Pure ignorance!

fiercest tiger
01-27-2002, 01:19 AM
A friend of mine had is splashing hands tape, i didnt think much of him as a fighter though, maybe an artist! bullsh!t artist..lol:p

dfedorko@mindspring.com
02-01-2002, 03:07 PM
My experiences with James McNeil are only with video and magazines. In the early 80's he had an Iron Palm video which I thought, at the time, was very good. His demonstration looked very good to me, a beginner. It gave me the foundation to begin Iron Palm training. Then I purchased both of his Chen videos which, I thought, were great. He lauded his lao shr in these two videos which was great. I purchased his tape on a Shaolin Staff and, again, I thought it was pretty good. But, when I saw an article in "Inside Kung Fu" magazine, a picture of him trying to break a watermelon, I lost some respect for him. The Japanese do it better.

xiaotiema

Water Dragon
02-01-2002, 03:17 PM
I've heard his skills are legitamate. Sounds like another case of a solid practitioner losing credibility due to his courting of the Qi Heads. IMO, it's a shame.

Internal Boxer
02-01-2002, 03:38 PM
Water Dragon I am with you mate, I cannot understand why everyone seems focused on critising teacher after teacher, so blo.ody what if he tried to do whatever with a fr.iggin water melon, I have never trained with Mcneil and cannot pass comment but others do not hold themselves back when just looking through a magazine they draw conclusions on ability, but to me that only mirrors their own lack of understanding.

For instance there seems to be a lot of Erle critics, but having been to his seminars I have seen and felt this guys power and I can 100% say he has it. Over the years I have done all the full contact sparring and so on, but the power Erle has is serious sh.it, and he does not express it these days which does pi.ss me off as it will answer these nobodies who waffle on about pathetic things like tassles making noises come on guys lets get REAL.

I am getting very tired of people just disrespecting others without actualling going to see them personally to see if they have ability. Let me give you some advice - go see them before you cast judgement on them: This is prejudice pure and simple.

CD Lee
02-01-2002, 06:51 PM
I bought his book a while back. I'll tell you this in all honesty. If you are not taking Hsing-I from a teacher, then the book is worse than useless. However, I don't think that was his intention.

The book means something to me, due to actual lessons. It is just a reference as far as I am concerned, but I know what I am looking for. You absolutely could never come close to learning the five elements from his book, due to no proper explanation of the footwork involved. It is just too much to ask any book to teach the five elelments to any person with no teaching.

He does look good in the pictures. I see no reason that he would not have real power from his alignments.

Water Dragon
02-01-2002, 07:18 PM
It's also a two way street. I know I refuse to by any products from anyone who flirts with the Qi Head crowd. If they can make all that money by advertising hype, why should they put their real skills on print or in video?

I wish more teachers would take Cartmell's approach. Low key down to earth, but everytime I read something from him, I'm thinking "Wow, I swear this guy must know my teachers. They say the same things."

He doesn't sell flash, and he doesn't put out higher level stuff, but what he puts out, I'll buy. And I'll also recommend it to anyone else wholeheartedly. I have no problems endorsing his material as IME, it's the real deal. Laid out in black and white.

I sometimes wonder how much good stuff I've passed over due to P.T. Barnum style advertising.

fiercest tiger
02-02-2002, 01:28 AM
can i ask what he is doing with a water melon, is he slaping it?

ive seen erle and have been to his seminars, i didnt think much..nuff said!

:(

Internal Boxer
02-02-2002, 02:38 AM
FTiger

If you just stood with the crowd then I can understand but if you have crossed hands with him and ask him to demonstrate his power then you will be suprised

dfedorko@mindspring.com
02-04-2002, 09:50 AM
The break I spoke of was in "Inside Kung Fu" magazine, July 1998. He is on the cover. The article, "Hands Like Stone in 100 Days" runs from pages 38 - 43. The picture I question is on page 40. His hand is in the watermelon. I do not think, using Physics, that the break can be done. Why would you do it in the first place?? I have seen watermelon with shuto and spear-hand broken a long time ago but nothing like the picture. Has any of you performed this break?? What was the outcome?? Again, I just lost a little respect for Sifu McNeil when I saw the picture in the magazine. But the fact remains that he is a good martial artist.

xiaotiema

CD Lee
02-05-2002, 09:05 AM
Could somebody please tell me what the Qi-Head crowd is and what they are attracted to? Just getting the lingo used on this forum clear. Thanks!

And whatever they are, why should someone not pander to them as a demographic group to sell them the product that they want? After all, whatever bull**** they are after, they are willing to pay for it right? And if it contains 90% good techniques, then it is good for them. And if what they concieve of is false, then they will not get it anyway, no matter. However, they are willing to pay money to get it.

I am just throwing thoughts out here, and there is no teacher that I am hitting on here. Just wondering as I am in business and think from different angles sometimes.

fiercest tiger
02-05-2002, 03:34 PM
i dint stand in the crowd i was at his seminar in 1993 or 94 anyway there was only 6 people there so i felt and seen his power.

he is a genuine guy very nice chap and dont have any beef with him, but all im saying is he isnt telling the whole truth about his dim mak knowledge. sorry if this ****es you off!:(

Water Dragon
02-06-2002, 12:51 PM
Qi Head. This is a classification for a variety of common personas often seen in martial arts. What links these groups together is an unwillingness to go through the rigors of traditional martial arts training.

The “Too Deadly” crowd. These individuals are generally looking for that magic system of self defense. Unfortunately, there are no magic secrets, but that argument cannot be won with these folks. They can be distinguished by the following traits. They are constantly looking for that magic skill that will transform them into a monster without hard training. These are the individuals who have mastered the Iron Palm, but have no structure, weak stances, and never took the time to develop body mechanics. They fail to comprehend that internal methods in CMA assume that you have put your time in the basics. The too deadly crowd also seems to be fascinated with various pressure points. Never mind that they have not gone through the training to deliver a proper blow, simply touching the correct spot on an opponents body will effectively bypass the need for hard training. The newest craze with the Qi heads seems to be no touch knockouts. Look at the reasoning. Now, not only do the Qi heads not have to sweat or bleed, they don’t even have to get within striking distance of their opponent. They are able to maintain their fantasy by convincing themselves that they will kill anything they touch. Therefore, they are never forced to prove their skills to either themselves or others.

The “Chi” crowd. These guys are looking for anything mystical. They appear to be searching for some long lost Jedi Like power. These are the people who are fascinated with auras, levitation, out of body experiences, etc. This group wants to believe in magic so badly, they suspend all common sense. The more dramatic the claim, the more this group is interested. After all, why would anyone with a title lie to them? Don’t even bother trying to argue with these guys, you have a better chance of converting Osama Bin Laden to Judaism.

The “health crowd. I feel sorry for these guys. They’re looking for good stuff, but in the wrong place. Martial arts definitely gives health effects; through hard training. They can also get health effects from Qi Gong but would be better served doing the 8 pieces of brocade than Martial post holding. The martial methods will fulfill their needs, but there are more efficient routes for them. These people actually become a problem only when they teach. The only reason for this is they do not have the ability to pass on the martial in their art. They have never learned it.

CD Lee
02-06-2002, 01:00 PM
Water Dragon

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah, I even get confused as to the claims people make on these forums as regards Kung Fu. I keep it pretty simple, and am faily skeptical. I think that has served me well so far.