PDA

View Full Version : Shuai Jiao Video

The Xia
09-17-2006, 09:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IjmnMaCk2Y

jigahus
09-17-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the post. I would have liked to see some ground moves though.

wiz cool c
09-18-2006, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the post. I would have liked to see some ground moves though.

There is no ground work in Shuai Jiao. At Least not the sports style that I am doing here in beijing.

Three Harmonies
09-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Hands down one of the best produced DVD's out of China I have seen! I highly suggest it wether or not you do SC!

Oh, and their is no groundwork in any traditional CMA, at least grappling wise. Some Di Tan but that is mostly striking and kicking, and in all honesty pretty obsolete in todays society.

Cheers
Jake :)

shiyonghua
09-18-2006, 02:52 PM
That was pretty sweet! I havent really seen much Shuai Jiao; for those who have trained in it, how effective do you find it?
They showed a lot of judo-type hip throws; how realistic is the training?

bodhitree
09-18-2006, 06:23 PM
From my limited experience with shuai jiao there is less free sparring (at least with the group I trained with, granted I didn't train with them that lone) but the throws are just as practical as Judo throws. Shuai Jiao and Judo are awesome, I wish I could train in one of them:(

wiz cool c
09-18-2006, 09:16 PM
That was pretty sweet! I havent really seen much Shuai Jiao; for those who have trained in it, how effective do you find it?

Hi the Shuai Jiao I am doing in Beijing is great and I think very effective for fighting. I am doing the sport style which is the same style that is on those DVD. I have that set of DVD very good.

S/J very similar to judo but the short sleve jacket makes for different types of grabs. Some of the throws are unique to S/J though. There is no ground work at all. We sparr every class for at least 30 minute. This is how it is done in Beijing. Sparring is all throws no strikes locks or ground work.

Another difference in S/J and Judo is the solo routines. S/J has a solo method of doing every throw. You do them 20 times each. They are a killer work out leavining you drippling sweat. There is equipment training as well but I have only seen the teachers do it as a form of play. Like they will throw around a bean bag and catch. I have allso seem they do stuff with a staff and a weighted thing you throw in the air and catch.

wiz cool c
09-18-2006, 09:22 PM

Hi the Shuai Jiao I am doing in Beijing is great and I think very effective for fighting. I am doing the sport style which is the same style that is on those DVD. I have that set of DVD very good.

S/J very similar to judo but the short sleve jacket makes for different types of grabs. Some of the throws are unique to S/J though. There is no ground work at all. We sparr every class for at least 30 minute. This is how it is done in Beijing. Sparring is all throws no strikes locks or ground work.

Another difference in S/J and Judo is the solo routines. S/J has a solo method of doing every throw. You do them 20 times each. They are a killer work out leavining you drippling sweat. There is equipment training as well but I have only seen the teachers do it as a form of play. Like they will throw around a bean bag and catch. I have allso seem they do stuff with a staff and a weighted thing you throw in the air and catch.

bodhitree
09-19-2006, 04:40 AM
where can you get the dvd's? I wish there were a shuai jiao club in Pittsburgh.

wiz cool c
09-19-2006, 05:51 AM
http://www.turtlepress.com/Chinese_Wrestling_DVD_Set_p/dvd-skf8.htm

My set come with four dvds two in each case. This is the same one but comes with two dvds. This seems to be the same though.

Three Harmonies
09-19-2006, 06:29 AM
How effective is SJ?? If you are not doing some kind of grappling in your practice, then you are not practicing realistically! And if you are training SJ and not sparring/grappling, then what are you doing??
As for pittsburgh.... www.ycgf.org/shuaichiao not sure if he is close, but he is the **** from what I here!
Jake :)

bodhitree
09-19-2006, 06:54 AM
I used to train with YCGF, the thing is if you go to the Shuai Jiao club schedule you will see it is blank. YCGF is awesome, and this is coming from a guy who gave up traditional martial arts.

bodhitree
09-19-2006, 06:58 AM
http://ycgf.org/ShuaiJiao/SJ_Home_Schedule.html

right here. A couple years ago they had a weekend seminar in Shuai Jiao, I wish I had the money to go. I may take up Judo.