PDA

View Full Version : Time to get serious

Pork Chop
09-18-2006, 07:43 AM
This is a new blog.

Worked out Saturday morning at the boxing gym. Was there a good 2 hours. Did my own workout first and then taught a new girl, it was her first day.

2 rounds of jump rope
3 rounds of shadow (2 w/weights)
5 rounds of heavybag

Tried to jog Saturday night and then Sunday afternoon but it was raining.

Diet this weekend was kinda bad; broke down and had some sodas.
Otherwise, it was chicken and pb&j sandwiches.

SevenStar
09-18-2006, 03:12 PM
I've been waiting for this. Got any short / long term goals you're shooting for?

Pork Chop
09-18-2006, 03:48 PM

Golden Gloves in Feb.
Pro by 2008 (maybe earlier & I'll forego GG).
That's how a cracka eat. :cool:

My biggest reason for starting back up is the discipline and the routine.
I need 'em both to give my life some sort of structure & purpose.
I should be going back for my masters in January; I should probably be getting a second job if i wanna fix my finances (my main reason for considering going pro); I should be taking dance classes to meet chix - but I don't really wanna do any of that stuff.

I think I'm just getting back to normal and this has been a part of my identity for far too long. I've learned how to enjoy single life on my own and this has always been my favorite way to occupy my time.

Seeing a bunch of people that I not only trained with; but instructed on their first day, getting in the ring recently and having fights was a huge kick in the pants that made me realize that I have to jump into the ring at least once more.

Temperature finally broke here - no more 107 degree days in the gym for a while - so that makes it a lot easier to train.

This thread will have a strict "no whining" policy, let's see how long that lasts. LOL

EDIT:
Sunday night - Ab Wheel x 10, Pushups (on grip bars) x 20, Ab Wheel x 10, Pushups x 20
Monday morning - Bodyweight squats (strict form) x 20

Pork Chop
09-18-2006, 09:11 PM
monday evening

3 rounds of shadow- 2 with handweights
6 rounds of heavybag
2 rounds of double end peanut bag

monday food
boneless chicken fillets, mashed potatoes, chocolate milk, a banana, a cookie, a veggie smoothie, and a whey drink.

Pork Chop
09-19-2006, 05:36 AM
Tuesday morning

ab wheel x 10
pushups x 20
bodyweight squat x 20

jogging (3 or 4 miles for over 30 min)

ab wheel x 10
pushups x 20
bodyweight squat x 20

breakfast
2 hash browns, tall glass of chocolate milk, banana

SevenStar
09-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Pro by 2008 (maybe earlier & I'll forego GG).

that's the debate I'm having now. The local boxing matches are considered pro. I dunno if I wanna turn pro yet, but from what I've seen, it's not extremely high level in many cases, so I can probably hang with them. I guess there's one way to find out.

Pork Chop
09-19-2006, 10:24 AM
not to sound any good but i think the amateur level in baltimore was higher than the low level pros here, but i'm definitely not complaining. :)

Chief Fox
09-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey PC, have you checked out Ross Boxing at all? That guy does some pretty amazing conditioning. I've recently purchased his book "Never Gymless". It's pretty cool. It's one of the best fitness books I've read. Check it out. http://www.rossboxing.com/

Good luck with your goals.

Pork Chop
09-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the heads up. :) I've got that site bookmarked here at work, but admittedly haven't read it much yet. I'll sign up for an account so i can check his forum when I get home. Everyone I've talked to has raved about Ross' stuff.

Still takin it a lil bit slow while I get back into shape, but a whole lot less negativity in my life right now.

SevenStar
09-19-2006, 01:52 PM
I like never gymless, but I hate the pulling exercises section. I was expecting more variation than just pullup variations. In the whole section, only 4 exercises aren't pullup variations. The other 16 or so are. The rest is great. The complete boxer's workout is good too.

Chief Fox
09-19-2006, 03:56 PM
I like never gymless, but I hate the pulling exercises section. I was expecting more variation than just pullup variations. In the whole section, only 4 exercises aren't pullup variations. The other 16 or so are. The rest is great. The complete boxer's workout is good too.
Yep, lots of pullup variations. Body rows, towel pullups, rope climbs, chin ups, one arm pullups. Lots of pullups. Tons of pushups, burpees and squats too. It's all great stuff.

I'm currently going through his 50 day program. I'm on Day 15. It's been great so far.

Pork Chop
09-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Fell asleep last night after work.
Jogging in the am really burns me out by the late afternoon.
I also had to talk to some people on the phone- which is why I went home instead of going to the gym after work in the first place.

Tonite I got a big church function at 7.
If I can get out of work by 5 (not too likely) then I'll try to go box.
If I can't, then I'll go jogging and make it up on Thursday.
Should be a lot of people my age at the church function so I've been looking forward to it.
It's being held at a pretty good mexican restaurant too (with hot waitresses) which is a double plus. :D

Somebody's been calling my cell phone between 8 and 10am from an unknown number and not leaving any messages.
This morning I tried to pick it up and they hung up on me twice.
Kinda starting to freak me out, have a feeling it's the ex trying to play more mind games.
Might end up having to get anonymous call blocking on my cell.

EDIT:
food yesterday - 2 hashbrowns & a banana for breakfast, 2 pb&j sandwiches for lunch, chips and salsa for dinner. Had a can of ginger ale and a can of rc cola - yeah i know how bad they are.

Doctor's appointment here in a few. Hoping I can stay on the Zoloft- it helps me function so much better.

Pork Chop
09-21-2006, 09:10 AM
Church function was FUN.
Lots of cool people and some really cute galz.
No numbers, but we should be meeting up again soon.

I'm starting to get addicted to working out like I haven't been in a while.
Snuck in for a quick workout yesterday before going to the dinner:

10 minutes jump rope- lately i've been jumping rope a lot faster than I was. Like I actively jump now instead of suffering through it. It's kind of easier.

10 minutes shadow - first 7 minutes with hand weights. Probably need to clean up my guard. I feel a lot faster than before. My combos are feeling a bit limited, might have to expand the repertoire.

4 straight rounds of heavybag on 4 different bags, worked through rests so it was like 15 or 16 minutes straight.

Short workout but INTENSE.
Felt good afterward.

Thinking about sneaking out of work to go back to the gym before I go out of town but I may just jog instead coz I'm supposed to stay at work late today.

Went to the doctor yesterday and found out that my cholesterol is bad.
Last 2 weeks I only jogged twice and my appetite's been coming back so i think that's got something to do with it- my weight hasn't jumped back up all that much.

At least he hooked me up with more Zoloft, but says he wants me to only be on it for 6 months; hopefully I can work something out coz I don't wanna go back to cigs & alcohol to deal with my sad days.

Yesterday just had 2 pb&j, a banana, whey drink, veggie drink, a small cup of powerade, 3 iced teas (unsweetened), chips & salsa, and a chicken taquito.

BoulderDawg
09-21-2006, 09:54 AM
Went to the doctor yesterday and found out that my cholesterol is bad.

Well let's see: Hash browns, chips, chocolate milk, PB&J......and God knows what else......

I would have never of guessed!:D

SevenStar
09-21-2006, 10:00 AM
I eat those things and my cholesterol is fine... what's your point? Last night, I had a bbq t-bone and half of a bbq shoulder. moderation is key. merely eating such foods doesn't equate to high cholesterol.

BoulderDawg
09-21-2006, 10:07 AM
I eat those things and my cholesterol is fine... what's your point? Last night, I had a bbq t-bone and half of a bbq shoulder. moderation is key. merely eating such foods doesn't equate to high cholesterol.

Some people can eat a pound of fatback and 2 dozen eggs a day and it won't effect their cholesterol. Others have to work at it. Moderation is the key to maintaining weight however with cholesterol, those prone to high levels have to work harder.

My point being is this guy should not be surprised about his cholesterol considering the diet he choses.

Pork Chop
09-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Well let's see: Hash browns, chips, chocolate milk, PB&J......and God knows what else......

I would have never of guessed!:D

chunky low-sugar peanut butter, whole fruit strawberry preserves, low fat chocolate milk and the chips are baked corn chips not fried potato chips.
your point is?

EDIT: I'm only a couple weeks removed from almost a month of just a bowl of oatmeal a day if i even ate. bakdafugup.

BoulderDawg
09-21-2006, 11:27 AM
your point is?

Did you not see the post above?

Doesn't matter anyway. You're going to eat what you want to eat. Maybe others will see this and be concerned about their cholesterol levels.

Pork Chop
09-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Did you not see the post above?

I could say the same to you.

I know your nutrition advice is probably 2 boiled chicken breasts, unflavored tuna, and home grown organic vegetables, totalling less than 1000 calories a day, but I'm not going to eat that way- you're right about that. heck, if a single bowl of oatmeal a day for 3 or 4 weeks wasn't enough to drop my cholesterol I hardly see what your diet's gonna do for me.

The one thing you've been right about was the road work- I added 3 to 4 miles 2 or 3 times a week; not the 5 miles everyday like you suggested, and I've been noticing marked improvement in my mobility & weight management. As long as I do it every other day and not every single day I can avoid the repeated trauma injuries that would knock me out for weeks at a time earlier.

For someone with as limited experience as you've got with a competitive boxer's lifestyle you sure do have some strong opinions.

Pork Chop
09-21-2006, 11:55 AM
http://www.dietfacts.com/images/nutrition-facts/2/21630.gif
http://www.elook.org/nutrition/soups/38.html
http://www.peanut-institute.org/images/FFTCardio_Fact_Sheet.pdf#search=%22peter%20pan%20c hunky%20peanut%20butter%20nutritional%20informatio n%22
http://www.answers.com/topic/peanut-butter
http://www.drinksmixer.com/desc567.html
http://www.dietfacts.com/images/nutrition-facts/2/25152.gif
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20Tm.html
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c21u9.html
http://www.dietfacts.com/images/nutrition-facts/2/23421.gif
http://www.bolthouse.com/html/cs_nutrition_mcn.html
http://www.bolthouse.com/html/cs_nutrition_ggn.html

According to the above i get between 9 and 20% of the USRDA for cholesterol....
can you say "pwn3d"?
I knew you could. :p

[edit:
missed one - http://www.holsumaz.com/nutritional_facts_for_wheat_bread.php ]

Pork Chop
09-24-2006, 03:01 AM
Been a busy weekend.
Thursday i was too tired to go out of town.
Left first thing Friday morning.
Houston was fun- got my teeth checked out and they're not as bad as my ex tried to have me believe.
Lifted some weights- did some bench pullups, bench press, and close grip bench press.
Left to come home in the afternoon on Saturday- long drive took longer with traffic.

Planning to do something some time on sunday.

rubthebuddha
09-24-2006, 08:16 PM
porkchoppa --

mrs. buddha and i sign the papers this week, so i'll have the weight room set up almost immediately after we move in next weekend. next time you're in town, c'mon over and we'll powerclean until we puke on water dragon, then we'll powerclean some more.

Pork Chop
09-25-2006, 08:32 AM
rtb- Sounds fun!!!! I'm definitely down for that! :D
EDIT: I'm not sure when I'll be down there next. My baby brother's birthday is on Friday but I'm kinda tired of driving for 4 or 5 hours on end. Possibly the weekend after if I'm not doing something else.

Last night I finished filling up the iPod: 6405 songs, at least until I start buyin more on iTunes. Up till now, my primary goal has been loading the cds i already have, restoring any damaged tracks, replacing lost/stolen cds, and getting a few things I've wanted a long time. I've got 6 or 7 gigs to play with still and if i need to make room i've got a lot of stuff i can kinda take or leave. There are still a few things I may need to download, a few damaged tracks I may need to replace, and always new music I want to try out- but I'm pretty good for now.

See the iPod's been a major goal for me because music's important to me. I have a lot of memories attached to my music so compiling my collection has been a way to kinda walk through a lot of memories in my life and get myself back to normal. i'd say it's been very theraputic. I've also had this feeling that once I got the thing loaded something would come along to make me happier than I've been in a long time. I've achieved a substantial level of happiness & peace via the process of healing & loading the iPod, realizing what's important in my life, and at least a lil bit in part due to the Zoloft.

I will share that last night, just as I finished my final revision of my playlist for the night; I got an email from this girl in Arlington I've been trying to meet for a minute. She gave me her phone number. Not going to assume it's destiny but it's sure as heck something I've wanted for a bit. :)

I'm sad to say I was up pretty late finishing that little project last night and didn't go jogging like I wanted to. Didn't get to bed on time either and I had a cheat meal for dinner after eating pretty well recently.

This morning I did some pushups (15) and some ab-wheel (10) after my shower. I think I've lost a goodly bit of strength, so I'm going to have to be more consistant. Last week was a pretty good start, but I could've used more jogging. I gotta stop driving all over Texas every other weekend (11 or 12 hours total this weekend). LOL

hope the above doesn't count as whining. :p

Pork Chop
09-26-2006, 07:55 AM
boxing gym workout

10 min of jump rope
10 min of shadow - first 8 min w/handweights
4 rounds of heavybags
3 rounds of double end peanut bag

afterwards i talked to that girl on the phone.
didn't go the way i wanted to- yahoo crashed last night so i couldn't get her number until an hour after I said i was gonna call so i got off on a real bad start.

planning on boxing and jogging tonite, let's see how it goes down.

Pork Chop
09-27-2006, 07:25 AM
3 rounds of jump rope
3 rounds of shadow (first 2 w/weights)
6 rounds heavybag
ab work- 20 med ball situps, 20 med ball self tosses, 20 leg lifts

I think I'm only going to be able to jog on my off days from the gym.
Trying to do both on the same night is just proving a bit overwhelming.
Boxing schedule will be something like Mon, Tues, Thur, Sat with jogging on the off days and some weights if I have any extra energy.

diet's okay- pretty low calorie if not the highest quality food.

Pork Chop
09-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Ran a few miles last night, took about 30 minutes.

Did a bunch of cheating pushups this morning.

broke down and ate dinner last night. wasn't proud of what i ate and tried to make up for it on the run but the jalepenos were burning my stomach to the point that finishing the run became a major struggle.

Tonite I'm torn between going to a sushi joint to meet up with some Japanese folks or hitting the gym. I have some time to make up for work because of my doctor's appointment yesterday so I can't do both, probably end up being late for sushi regardless. Also, if I don't hit the gym the best I can do this week is 3 times- friday they close so early i have a real hard time making it.

rethinking my paradigm on the femaliens. I'd just like to make some new friends and expand my network. if chemistry happens then it happens, I'm not looking to be chasing after anyone.

us0kch
09-28-2006, 11:32 AM
rethinking my paradigm on the femaliens. I'd just like to make some new friends and expand my network. if chemistry happens then it happens, I'm not looking to be chasing after anyone.

Definitely a good attitude to keep; the last thing ya need is to get all worked up and lose focus, only to find out it you've been chasing your tail in a circle. It can drive ya to pull your hair out!

Glad to hear you're back on track with the routine, keep up the good work! :)

Pork Chop
09-28-2006, 11:37 AM
many thanx man :)

i'm really tempted to go on my oatmeal diet just to get under 200 pounds.
i have nothing else going on in my life and I'd say the weight's preventing me from everything i want to achieve.

the more i think about it the better it sounds; gonna sit on it for a few days and see if i can get the motivation up to go bawlz out.

BoulderDawg
09-28-2006, 12:56 PM
I don't know what this "oatmeal diet" is. However if you told me I had to go on a diet where the majority of my food was oatmeal I would kill myself now and get it over with.:D

Pork Chop
09-28-2006, 01:07 PM
I don't know what this "oatmeal diet" is. However if you told me I had to go on a diet where the majority of my food was oatmeal I would kill myself now and get it over with.:D

hehe i could basically say the same thing.
unfortunately it's about the only thing that works for me.
i've tried doing the salad thing, the 6 small meals of boiled chicken, tuna, & fresh veggies, and even a mayo clinic version of the adkins diet but none of 'em work for me and each is just as hard to do.

Pork Chop
09-29-2006, 08:54 AM
yesterday i was feeling drained after work and went home instead of to the gym.
i cut my hand open on the bags on mon & tues so I didn't see myself doing much bagwork. For my floorwork I was being a punk and didn't want to do it without my iPod. When i went home to get it, I got more and more tired; so I took a nap. I was only out for an hour or so and then I was wide awake. Didn't get back to bed until way later. I need to be getting to sleep much earlier.

I did manage to go jogging last night though for about 30 min.
did cheater pushups in the morning for 50 reps.

i'm doing the cheater pushups because they hit my chest better than full pushups, which tend to just hit my arms and shoulders. Also the ability to do a lot more reps helps me to feel a better overall level of muscle exhaustion - doing more work.

woke up late this morning... i mean real late...
had a headache too... like a super migraine.

Chief Fox
09-29-2006, 09:05 AM
Maybe take a few days off to re-charge. Shoot some hoops or go for a hike or something. Get some rest.

Pork Chop
09-29-2006, 11:30 AM
just found out that i'm gonna be stuck in a meeting late this afternoon so no ducking out to hit the boxing gym anyway.

my buddy needed to get out of the office at lunch so we hit up a mexican joint. gonna have to pb&j it saturday to make up for it. at least it was cheap- like 8 bux for over a day's worth of food.

if I jog tonite and box saturday morning that's 3 boxing workouts, 3 jogging workouts for the week- nothing to sneer at and definitely something to build upon.

my exhaustion's completely due to not going to bed on time.

next week i have 2 priorities - the oatmeal thing and sleeping on time.
If i take care of those 2 things the rest will fall in place.

btw- the oatmeal thing is partly due to money. i'm taking a serious stab at cutting my expenses. even including a bad day at best buy and a lil too much iTunes love; my expenses have really been nothing compared to the money I was throwing away before.

Pork Chop
09-30-2006, 11:51 AM
got distracted last night with phone calls and music stuff until real late- tried to go straight to bed at 1, which was way too late.

woke up this morning and had a killer boxing workout

3 rounds of jump rope
3 rounds of shadow
6 rounds of heavybag
1 round of bob & weave rope (last 30 seconds duckwalk)
1 round of slip bag
2 sets of 15 sledgehammer swings (1 set each side)
20 incline pushups
10 medicine ball walkover pushups
50 crunches
50 bicycles

at the end of that i was pooped.
i dunno if it was the zoloft or the humidity but i had a hard time really exerting myself- got tired kinda quick but still managed to push through it.

lunch today's not going to be good - lot going on today and i had a craving for arby's.

tonite i'm supposed to go learn country western dancing from an old college friend in the area who's supposed to be good. If i got any energy left after that i'm thinking jogging.

Pork Chop
10-02-2006, 10:42 AM
went dancing on saturday
didn't get home till ultra late
had a ton of fun and broke a sweat

Sunday i woke up after noon and was completely drained.
polished off a few sodas and some cinna stix so the diet wasn't good.
no jogging. some weird stuff happened- due in part to not takin my medicine - and didn't get to bed til late again.

didn't do the oatmeal thing today

not sure that i'll go to the gym tonite; but would like to at least jog.

Pork Chop
10-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Don't ask me what happened monday I'm still not sure.
Been feeling kinda weird lately, hard to explain.
Having a hard time focusing and getting things done.
Not sure if it's a lack of motivation or a lack of patience- like I can't get what I want so I'm just shutting down.

Eventhough I woke up late and my head's been all over the place, I am still going to try to turn it around today.
Did the oatmeal thing for lunch- will have more if i get hungry again.

I don't know that I'll be able to get out of work in time to hit the boxing gym.

Gotta take my cell phone to a cingular store after work to get my phone # changed - tired of getting 4 calls a day from "unknown number", who doesn't believe in leaving messages and hangs up after I say "hello?".
Anybody reading this can email me for the new number.

Now that i think about it- the regular calling has been doing a lot to undermine the work I've done to get back on track. I really don't need it and until I get the thing fixed I think it's going to be a distraction.

I'll do what I can tonite.

*Sorry if this is starting to sound 'whiney' it's really not my intention.*

Pork Chop
10-03-2006, 02:02 PM
OK my number's changed so anybody that wants it, email me.
Got a big sense of relief once I changed it.
at this point i figure it's like one of 4 things
- a really dumb telemarketer
- this psycho gal from kentucky that used to call me all the time (probably my only stalker ever)
- a psycho ex/current bf of my friend in houston
- one of a few chicks i've talked with from the 'net.
- my ex-fiancee.

the first 3 are more likely than the 5th but i thought i'd add it for completeness.

have a feeling that this will flush out the person that's been giving me such a rough time. i don't really want to do anything in retribution, just want the peace of mind that this is over and maybe even knowing why.

Pork Chop
10-04-2006, 08:08 AM
looks like my paranoia wasn't insanity.
changed my number yesterday and log onto my computer this morning before work to find an instant message from my ex.

dunno how i feel about this.

didn't work out last night- got out of work real late, starving. Went home and ate. Tried to go to bed as early as I could. Still managed to wake up later than I wanted to this morning.

boxing and jogging tonite should make up for it.

man i hate bein such a headcase. lol

us0kch
10-04-2006, 10:04 AM
looks like my paranoia wasn't insanity.
changed my number yesterday and log onto my computer this morning before work to find an instant message from my ex.

dunno how i feel about this.

didn't work out last night- got out of work real late, starving. Went home and ate. Tried to go to bed as early as I could. Still managed to wake up later than I wanted to this morning.

boxing and jogging tonite should make up for it.

man i hate bein such a headcase. lol

well, since you proved you're paranoia wasn't insanity, what exactly does your ex want? Or is she tryin to turn you into a headcase?? :confused:

Pork Chop
10-04-2006, 10:52 AM
I really don't know what she wants...
i mean she knew i was going to therapy after all the stuff she pulled, that it was the therapist that told me i wasn't going to be ready talk to her for a long time, and yet she still "prank" called me 4 times a day....
so your headcase comment's probably not far off....
she really doesn't make any sense to me
none of it does

funny, after all I've been through over the past 3 months
stuff like this makes you think about how far (or not far) you've come
as much as the pain's gone I wonder how much I've really moved on

i kinda want to disappear for a while
training's good for that

tomorrow's the 1 year anniversary of the engagement.

i'll send her a single IM to the effect of "your stuff's still here if you want it. come by any time to get it. if not, i'll have to do something with it over christmas holiday. just drop me an email beforehand to let me know when you come."

and leave it at that...

Pork Chop
10-04-2006, 11:34 PM
went jogging for an hour and 15 minutes tonite.
ate oatmeal, tuna, and singapore rice noodles today.

on the jog i decided i'm not even going to message her.
after everything she's done, she owes me quite a bit if she even wants to be my friend and frankly I think she's way too selfish to ever take my best interests into consideration.

Pork Chop
10-06-2006, 08:59 AM
went to the gym last night.
i was feeling kinda burnt
workout wasn't anything great

2 rounds jump rope
5 rounds of heavybag

on the heavybag I did punches and kicks.
kicks really do take a lot more out of you.
i was pretty dead after that workout.

in the evening i just got a shower and went to bed way too late.
woke up late this morning but it's techincally my day off just gotta put in a few extra hours.

giong to a big chinese, japanese, and korean autumn/harvest moon festival tonite at a park. looking forward to it.

Pork Chop
10-06-2006, 11:21 PM
got lost on my way to the get together
eventually found it
but it's 1 am and i drove for over 3 hours tonite
not feeling the jogging
plan is to wake up early for boxing tomorrow morning and then san antonio in the afternoon
we'll see how it goes
been a little tired & sluggish lately but not so sore.

Pork Chop
10-09-2006, 07:48 AM
Good workout on saturday - even got some sparring in.
6 rounds of shadow (2 w/weights) - jump rope wasn't working
6 rounds of heavybag
2 rounds of sparring

I gotta stop going out of town.
Went out of town on saturday, came back late sunday.
Had a lot of fun and got some good dvds- kameda brothers boxing & k-1 max 6/2006, but now it's monday and I'm beat down. Was hurting a bit too much Sunday night to go jogging but I couldn't sleep. I'm lucky I got outta bed this morning.

Supposed to go to Houston next weekend. Could have a great time.

The ex is still stalking me. I'm not just being paranoid about this, though I will admit to fighting urges to think that way. I can provide a good amount of evidence to prove it. As much as my imagination tries to run with the idea that she might want to come back, the realist in me points out a much more likely truth- she wants to know I'm doing well for her own conscience and doesn't care how she gets that info. I told her to wait until I got in touch with her, once I was okay, but that's not good enough for her. The little control freak is going to make me okay....or else.

The problem is that this stuff's doing bad thing's to my mental state.

Probably going to have to stop going online for a while.

Workout wise, I have way too many chores that I've been letting slip for too long so I'm going to need to come straight home and if I'm lucky - go jogging real late.

Pork Chop
10-10-2006, 08:42 AM
yesterday was still resting up.
bought some more japanese food and started cooking again.
Suprising how many meals i can make for relatively no cash.
Tuna, rice, nori, mayo, and furikake go a really long way.
got a new rice cooker too.
So i guess i did spend too much money, but it's going to really pay off in the long term.
I was supposed to make it to this 30s-group thing yesterday, didn't feel totally comfortable with it considering i'm only 29.
I was happy just to go home, take a nap, cook, and start laundary.

tonite i have something to go to.

i'm hoping to get some jogging in if it's not raining

tomorrow should be back at boxing.

Pork Chop
10-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Just got in an argument this morning with a girl I've been talking with.

i realized that I'm not all hung up on what other people think of me anymore- or at least the argument made me so.

I also realized that I gotta do what's good for me sometimes and not be so quick to bite the bullet for someone else.

Most importantly i relearned the lesson that I gotta stop living in the past, letting the past hurt me, and letting it screw up my future.

Told the girl that was b!tchin at me to "suck it" and popped an email to the ex saying "your stuff's still here till christmas but you've gotta do a better job of staying the helloutta my life".

In the future I've gotta do a better job of keeping my mouth shut about my past- stop letting it bug me & keep me from hanging out with better women.

Pork Chop
10-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Last night the japanese language group meeting was sooo fun.
Met a lot of cool folks, even one guy who might be able to get me a job back in Japan. Might be Tokyo instead of Okinawa but still more fun for a single guy like me than here.

Got a call from the first girl who was giving me a hard time, apologizing for the way she came off. We're cool now and back to being friendly.

I'm still actually glad she did what she did though, it was a major kick in the pants to handle my business with the ex and stand up for myself. Once that happened, it became one of the best days ever.

Also got a call from girl in Houston. That situation might not be as over as I thought it was. My bootie hurts though so I'm reluctant to drive back down there.

I was on the phone until real late so jogging was out of the question.
Ready to go boxing today though.

Pork Chop
10-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Man I gotta get my act together.
This has been a tough week.
Lots going on with work- work I've had to do on my own time away from the office.
I've also had a ton of chores that have piled up because I've been out of town so much lately.
I really need a few days to just veg.
Couldn't go out of town this week if i wanted to.
I'm still real tired from the trip to san antonio.
slept over 10 hours last night and woke up still not feeling refreshed- and no, it's not from sleeping too much either, i know that headache well.
Had to run errands last night until about 9, gym closes at 8.
Gotta stay at work tonite till 7 or 8.
Have a house full of food, which is good- but may end up going broke from the investment of restocking my kitchen.
Should pay off in the long run, i've gotta have a good month's worth of food.
Figuring out my schedule/routine, now that it's only just me, has been real tough and the major roadblock stopping me from getting in the gym as much as I'd like.
Probably easier if I'd just stayed going out to eat all the time, but at least this way the food I eat should be somewhat healthier.

Pork Chop
10-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Left work early last night and hit the gym

3 rounds jump rope
3 rounds shadow - 2 w/weights
6 rounds heavybag

was breaking in some new gloves- Classics, the new label on good ole' fashioned Zepol Mexican gloves. They're 18oz but don't really feel like it. My hands were cramping up by my last round of bag work.

went out for a steak and greenbeans afterwards.
probably not the best food, admittedly but i was meeting a friend at the restaurant and had a craving for a rare steak.

Pork Chop
10-16-2006, 06:32 AM
Saturday was busy but i couldn't get out of bed until after 12 (the time the gym closes) so aside from dancing in the evening it was kinda slow workout wise.

Sunday was all about resting up to get out of this funk I've been in. The only productive thing I did was clean some dishes.

This morning I was up at the crack of dawn, a refreshing change from barely being able to drag myself outta bed lately.
Got all dressed & ready to go for a jog and walked outside to pouring rain.
No biggie, just went to work early so I can get off early and go to 2 gyms tonite.

as long as I'm in bed by 10 i should be good.

Probly going to have to get rid of cable here pretty soon- becoming way too expensive. My phone bill came in and was over $200- i didn't even go over my minutes. Something strange is going on.

Pork Chop
10-17-2006, 07:10 AM
sweet mama jamma...
1 honest-to-god day off after a week not doin too much is no joke...

I had the kind of workout i used to do...

3 rounds jump rope
3 rounds shadow - 2 with handweights
5 rounds heavybag - was DYIN by the last round
1 round double-end peanut bag
2 rounds mitts - straight through no rest
floor work - 25 medball situps, 25 medball self-toss situps, 25 medball twists (each side)
Sledgehammer w/ the versaball - got 25 before I started fadin
2 rounds of slip bag, last 30 seconds doing bobbing & weaving and duck walks.
more floor work - 50 crunches, 50 side crunches ea side, 50 frog kicks, 50 leg lifts, 50 bicycles

The weather was cool, but muggy as heck- reminded me of Baltimore and probably why I had so much energy.

Couldn't get to bed till late but didn't wake up that late- still got into work by 8:15 (30 min off yesterday).

Tonite I gotta hit up another language group, so unless I jet outta work early I probably won't hit the gym. Jogging tonite wouldn't be a bad idea but I gotta be up real early tomorrow, so we'll see. Tomorrow night I should have a date, so that might be a tough nite to hit the gym too. Gonna do what I can.

Pork Chop
10-18-2006, 06:07 AM
Got home at midnight last night and went straight to bed.
Think i may need to move to dallas or something; spending an awful lot of time in Plano.

Pork Chop
10-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Friday
had a real good day
3 rounds jump rope
3 rounds shadow - 2 w/weights
6 rounds heavybag
3 rounds double end bag
3 rounds slip bag

Jogged for over an hour.

Saturday I happened to stop by this boxing event some friends were fighting at.
Totally renewed my passion for the game.
For about the first time ever i got a straight answer from a coach on what i'd need to do to get ready to compete- 4 times in the gym a week, 4 runs a week, and 6 weeks straight. I think it's my first straight answer because its' the first time i'm doing all my work at one gym under one coach.

Sunday I rested up because I know what the next 6 weeks are giong to be like.
I'm only going to do the language thing once a week and I've pretty much decided to opt out of the dating world for a while.

If I've gotta keep it up till Feb, then I don't mind- take a short break at X-mas and then jump back on it after new year.

Pork Chop
10-24-2006, 05:59 AM
Day 1 of the six week program

3 rounds jump rope
3 rounds shadow - 2 with weights
7 rounds heavybag

they were closing the gym early so i kinda had to keep it short and intense.

went jogging for a spot over 30min

Chief Fox
10-24-2006, 07:49 AM
What's the 6 week program all about?

Is it the, gym 4 days a week and 4 runs a week for 6 weeks or is it a little more detailed.

Is the goal to get fight ready or do you have a fight coming up in 6 weeks?

What ever it is, keep it up.

Pork Chop
10-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Don't have a fight yet, but i figure if i get ready all i need to do is find the event. Worst case scenario, i have to wait until february- but if i take a week or 2 off for Xmas and do it all over again in January, it's not a big deal.

The coach knows I go off and do my own crazy things at the gym- often working harder than the youngin's so he wasn't strict on "what" exactly i do- just that I'm there, putting in work 4 times a week & jogging 4 times a week for 6 weeks.

I'll have to get in some sparring and mitt time of course, luckily I've got some big guys to work with- good ones too.

The owner/coach has had me teach noobies coming in and has said i know what I'm doing at least, so I don't think he has a problem with my skill. He's not the only trainer though and might not be the best guy there to go to, i don't know. I'm still going to do what I can.

Last night the main heavyweight there was telling me about going on some crazy tuna diet to strip off weight. From personal experience cutting out carbs like that would probably shrink my gas tank even more than my waistline. Also, I don't think it's necessarily an improvement to jump in there with faster cruisers or light heavies - who can hit just as hard and are now hitting more often because of the speed and my diminished abilities.

Just gonna do my thing and not do anything crazy food-wise- though I may have to lie and say I am. lol

Chief Fox
10-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Sounds like the coach believes in your ability. That's pretty cool.

I'm with you on the crazy food diet. Things that work for some people don't necessarily work for others.

A couple summers ago I was training for a trail run. I trained all summer. I started on a new diet a month or two before the race and it totally zapped my energy levels. I got down to a nice light weight but it really affected my performance.

Stick with what works for you and only make minor incremental diet changes.

Good luck man.

Pork Chop
10-25-2006, 06:34 AM
thanx :)

Last night I went a little crazy coz a lot of weird stuff's been going on in my life.
I really agree with the statement that bad things tend to come in 3s.
My grandpa's back in the hospital again so i may have to take off this week or next.

4 rounds of jump rope doing calisthenics between rounds
5 rounds of shadow -2 with weights
5 rounds of heavybag
4 rounds of double end peanut bag
4 rounds of slip bag, last 30 seconds under dipping rope
25 medicine ball self pass situps, 25 med ball overhead situps, 25 med ball twists
25 versaball sledgehammers, 25 lead hand wall bounces, 25 rear wall bounces
50 crunches, 50 side crunces ea side, 50 leg lifts, 50 frog kicks

EDIT: It was raining last night so i couldn't go for a jog. i went to bed early and still kinda woke up late, got like 9 hours of sleep & still felt dead. the plan was to wake up early and jog then but since i couldn't, hopefully the weather will be more cooperative tonite.

BoulderDawg
10-25-2006, 09:09 AM
Sounds like the coach believes in your ability. That's pretty cool.

I'm with you on the crazy food diet. Things that work for some people don't necessarily work for others.

A couple summers ago I was training for a trail run. I trained all summer. I started on a new diet a month or two before the race and it totally zapped my energy levels. I got down to a nice light weight but it really affected my performance.

Stick with what works for you and only make minor incremental diet changes.

Good luck man.

Any diet that you are on to lose weight will sap your strenght to a certain degree. The fact of the matter is your body is not getting enough nurishment and goes off looking for fuel elsewhere. This is how we lose weight and why we gain back so quickly went we go off our diet. The body is dumb and says to itself "Ha! There's more food than I have been getting. Let's store some as fat!"

On a good diet you should not notice this energy loss to any degree. However on something where you need max energy(Such as a long run) you can really tell it. If you need to lose weight for an event (Such as a marathon or fight) it's best to do it early and get to a point of mantainance at least 3 months prior to the event.

I've heard countless stories of boxers losing hugh amounts of weight and then getting into the ring and folding up like a kite. Of course the results would have been the same had they not lost the weight at all.

Pork Chop
10-25-2006, 11:30 AM
I've heard countless stories of boxers losing hugh amounts of weight and then getting into the ring and folding up like a kite. Of course the results would have been the same had they not lost the weight at all.

I was with you up until this part...
I'm curious how you can come to the conclusion that someone who's performance is diminished by severe weight loss would perform the same if they'd never lost the weight in the first place....

Especially when you see guys like James Toney who's punch output skyrocketed as a slightly pudgy cruiser, but sometimes suffered earlier in his career when he was cutting weight to make middle or super middle.

Or seeing guys like Diego Corrales- who performed much better when their weight class was closer to their body's natural weight, but struggled as they aged and their increased natural weight made that weight class a hardship to strip down to.

Even seeing guys like Kaoklai Kaennorsing- who knocked out Mighty Mo Siliglia at heavyweight in K1, but suffered knockouts himself when he cut weight to compete in K1-max.

I personally don't think Fedor Emelianenko would be the unbeatable machine he is if he was killing himself to make 205.

SevenStar
10-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Any diet that you are on to lose weight will sap your strenght to a certain degree.

this is true. However, power may or may not be lost.

The fact of the matter is your body is not getting enough nurishment and goes off looking for fuel elsewhere.

kinda... the loss of strength is most likely due to earlier onset of muscular fatigue, as the body is taking in less calories and doing the same work, trying to maintain the same muscle mass. It's not particularly important that the body is looking for fuel elsewhere.

This is how we lose weight and why we gain back so quickly went we go off our diet. The body is dumb and says to itself "Ha! There's more food than I have been getting. Let's store some as fat!"

when you lose weight - particularly if you have a BIG calorie deficit - the body says "holy sh!t, I'm starving," and goes into a hibernation mode. fat cells split, muscle is dropped, as it takes more calories to sustain, and the metabolism slows down. This alone can cause weight gain, which is why you have people who go on a diet and end up gaining weight. Once your food intake picks back up, human nature may dictate that you are eating more than you used to, in addition, your fat cells have split and your metabolism is still temporarily slower. This would lead to extra weight gain.

On a good diet you should not notice this energy loss to any degree. However on something where you need max energy(Such as a long run) you can really tell it. If you need to lose weight for an event (Such as a marathon or fight) it's best to do it early and get to a point of mantainance at least 3 months prior to the event.

Why would you think the results would've been the same?

BoulderDawg
10-25-2006, 12:39 PM
I think that if you're at a good weight for your body and then attempt to lose more weight then yes you are hurting yourself. When the body runs out of fat to burn it starts looking for muscle tissue....Not a good situation. However, if you are overweight and losing to a natural weight then yes if you compete overweight then you are just as worse off against top competition. Of course if you are fighting lesser talent then you can make up for the additional weight.

I love to watch this fighter they call Butterbean!:D Butterbean goes around 330 and is as strong as an ox. When he fights he seems to always knock out whoever they put up against him. However one time he fought Larry Holmes....who was 54 at the time!:D Holmes beat him in a decision.

That says something about the quality of opponent the man was fighting against if he could not even defeat a 54 year old man.....no matter how good he was 20 years ago!

The sad thing is that Butterbean could maybe have actually been a good fighter. We'll never know.

Pork Chop
10-26-2006, 08:59 AM
There's been a lot of speculation that many of Butterbean's fights were in fact fixed. He still fights in Japan though.

The thing is, Holmes (by the time he was a champion) and other heavyweights like Mercer or even Ron Lyle from back in the 70s, were not really svelte guys. They're way closer to my bodytype than someone like butterbean.

Last night I tried to go for the short & sweet death...

3 rounds of jump rope
3 rounds of shadow 2 rounds with handweights, all rounds with weight vest
3 rounds of heavybag w/weight vest
2 rounds of double end bag w/weight vest
2 rounds of slip bag w/ weight vest

at the end of that i was pretty much dead.
had a huge food craving and before i knew it i was scarfing down chicken wings (no ranch dressing).

Went jogging after that for a bit over 30 minutes. I was sore, achey, and still a little full from eating (tho I didn't stuff myself) so it ended up being one of my longest, slowest jogs to date- boy did it hurt.

Pork Chop
10-30-2006, 08:39 AM
Friday

quick, intense workout
3 rounds double end bag
6 rounds heavybag

tried to kill it as best i could coz they were closing the gym.

saturday morning
went jogging, still pretty sore and achey.

this weekend i ate a bit much but i was really active both days, going to a japanese festival at a park.
Sunday night i went to a concert.

Really fun weekend, next weekend I gotta go be with my grandpa.

Jogging more than 3 times a week is giong to be tough.

Pork Chop
10-31-2006, 07:18 AM
Monday night was a bit of a quick boxing day.
I dunno if it's the weather or what but my legs have been buggin me- my right foot and my left knee the biggest culprits.

3 rounds jump rope
3 rounds shadow - 1st round 5lbers w/ 25lbers last 30 seconds, 2nd round 3lbers w/ 5lbers last 30 seconds, 3rd round no weights 25lbers last 30
5 rounds heavybag
3 rounds double end peanut bag.

Afterwards I was supposed to go jogging but got unbelievably tired around 9, so I went to sleep.

I woke up before 6 and took a 30 minute jog Tuesday morning.
Again, my legs are achey which makes things difficult.
Probably need to do more upper body focus tonite if possible.

Pork Chop
11-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Tuesday evening hit up the gym again.
My legs are still bugging me- my right foot almost feels broken.

jump rope - lazy 3 rounds, was having a hard time with my foot.
flag boxing - 3 rounds... coach made up this game of no contact sparring where you try to snag a couple of strips of paper duct taped to the other guy's head gear. it was fun, really worked on my defense.
double end bag - 3 rounds went much better after the sparring drill
heavybag - 6 rounds
knee lift chair - 20 knees to chest, 20 straight legged, 20 side to side
pullups - 3 negatives
dips - 10
medicine ball situps - 20
medicine ball twists - 20

Pork Chop
11-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Wednesday

Was feeling pretty sore, achey, and run down so I decided to work more towards getting up a good sweat & sustaining it than killing myself.
I don't know if it's the running or what lately, but my legs have been feeling real banged up.

8 rounds of shadow boxing
5 rounds of heavybag - hurt my wrist on the last round and almost gave up there
5 rounds of double end bag

around 9pm I went for a jog. felt more like a hobble, but once i got into it, it wasn't so bad. Went home and went to bed around 10.

Thursday

This morning I woke up at 6:30 so I went for a jog again around 6:45. Again, my legs are feeling real stiff & my whole body's sore, but it's still kinda relaxing once i get into it.

Tonite I want to hit the gym before driving to houston.

Diet

had a bad day on tuesday with the office pizza party (3 slices & some brownies) so I decided to re-balance. On wednesday all I ate was a small bowl of oatmeal and a protein shake. The goal is to do the same thing today, but maybe a bit more so I can still workout, get ready, and make the 4 hour drive to Houston.

SevenStar
11-02-2006, 10:03 AM
you're making good progress, man.

Pork Chop
11-02-2006, 12:17 PM
I have a bet for $10 going with a couple guys that my ex is actually at my parents' place right now; so I wanna look my best en route to twenty bux. LOL

Think i figured out my leg pain: i ran out of glucosamine a week or 2 ago.
time to get some more joint juice.

Pork Chop
11-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Thursday night i had too much to do before leaving for Houston so i skipped the gym and STILL got out of town way late.

I lost my 2 $10 bets but I still think she's coming back- i don't mind being called crazy and stupid, i'm used to it. :) I just hope it's before the Manny Pacquiao fight on November 18th, so maybe we can go.

Saw my grandpa this weekend, might be the last time ever.
He's a lot like the Terry Shiavo case, but in a lot of pain.
I was off my meds for about 4 days come Sunday night.
I didn't want to be all drugged up when I saw my grandpa.
I fell off my wagon for a bit sunday night- one cig for each of the 3 major crisis my family's had this year.

Sunday night there was a huge thunder & lightning storm that ran the whole night. Barely slept as a result. Took off from work early monday and tried to catch up on my sleep again. Really went out of my way to fill up my iPod. Spent too much money as usual. haha

Feeling a lot more rested today so I'll make it back to the gym tonite.
If weather permits, I'll jog too.

Pork Chop
11-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Went to the gym after work.

jump rope: 3 rounds - kinda had a rough time with the rope
shadow: 3 rounds - 2 w/handweights
heavybag: 6 rounds
double end bag: 3 rounds

Weather was alright but didn't feel up to the jog- got busy with other stuff till almost 10 and was a bit tired from the workout and everything going on.

Tried to get to sleep at 10~10:30 but it wasn't happening, don't think I dozed off till 12 or 1.

This morning I got into work by 8, can leave around 5.

I want to go to this japanese language meetup in dallas tonite at around 7, i doubt i can be on time but i may end up trying to go around 8.

Pork Chop
11-09-2006, 06:20 AM
first night back sparrin for real last night

3 rounds of jump rope
2 rounds of shadow
4 rounds of sparring

it was a pretty good spar, i think i did alright for my first time back, the guy i was sparring has a lot more experience than me and is real good at countering whenever i try to sit down on a shot. he gave me a bloody nose towards the end, but when that happened, I could tell he was smelling blood, so i took it right back at him.

Pork Chop
11-10-2006, 07:43 AM
Was feeling real achey and sore Thursday so I took the evening off.
I got to sleep by around 9pm and woke up at 5 something this morning.
I went for a 1 hour jog this morning.
It was really stiff going at the beginning but by the second half i was starting to fly.
Feel pretty good so far this morning.
Planning on making it back to the gym tonite.

Pork Chop
11-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Friday evening went back to the gym

jump rope 3 rounds
shadowboxing - all 3 rounds w/handweights, last 2 rounds w/weight vest
heavybag - 3 rounds w/ weight vest
double end bag - 3 rounds w/weight vest
floor work - medball situps on the swissball, medball twists on swissball, swissball hand to leg passes, 20 pushups w/weightvest, 2 sets of 20 versaball sledgehammer slams

after that i was pretty much dead.
that weight vest takes like everything out of me.
I was dyin half way through the first round on the heavybag.

today i got an active day planned
more on that later

Pork Chop
11-13-2006, 07:32 AM
Saturday morning back at the gym
it was kinda cold and the gym has no heat
tried jumping rope a bit but my knees weren't letting it happen

shadowboxed for 6 rounds w/gloves
heavybag for 6 rounds

then they closed up the gym and i had to go.

Saturday evening I went grocery shopping at sam's & an asian store.
I didn't get to jog that night, but i broke a sweat pretty well unloading the car with around $300 worth of groceries, most of it heavy drinks. They sell my bolthouse farms drinks at Sam's now so i'm real happy about that.

Sunday I didn't really get out of bed. I went to bed early saturday night, woke up late sunday morning and slept most of the afternoon.
Got to bed sunday night around 11 too.
I think I really needed the sleep; probably ate too much though.

Pork Chop
11-14-2006, 06:49 AM
Monday

hit the gym.
apparently i've been having a break in my structure and losing power through my shoulder- slinging punches instead of driving through them. I decided to step up my pushup regimen and really work on my form.
I found that I was involving my hips too early in the movement, in addition to having a lazy shoulder.

jump rope 3 rounds
shadow boxing 3 rounds - 2 w/weights 1 w/gloves
20 pushups, 10 squats, 5 burpees

heavybag 7 rounds - really trying to get my hips into the movement correctly & maintaining a strong structure through my shoulder. Strangely enough I kept thinking back to clips I've seen of marciano, i think he was really the best at getting hips and leverage into his shots. My punch output went down a little bit when I was focusing on the hip stuff, but tried to mix in enough rapid fire combos to keep the average high. I really started feeling the shots in my forearms, elbows, & shoulders and the bags that weren't folding were flying all over the place. I was careful to keep my punches snappy but the body snatcher ball doesn't fold, it tends to swing.

double end bag 3 rounds - i think this is where i picked up my bad habit of being disconnected, it's hard to time a fully connected power shot as it takes longer. Tried my best to carry over what i'd worked on and to work on better combos too. Ended up being a lot more exhausting than usual and not really as fluid; tho i did mix it up a bit.

went running for a half hour in the evening

Tuesday morning I did some of the floor work I'd missed:
20 ab wheel
20 pushups - slow, deliberate pushups in the full range
20 med ball overhead squats
20 med ball twists

I think tonite's going to be more of a floor work and footwork night. I feel like I've got arthritis in my arms.

Pork Chop
11-14-2006, 06:51 AM
1,500 posts biatches!!!

now where's my stalker???

Pork Chop
11-15-2006, 12:29 PM
i got sick yesterday
had to cut my workout short
i was starting to cramp up real bad and was sweating way more than usual

3 rounds of high speed jump rope
3 rounds of shadow 1 round w/weights
3 rounds of double end bag

today i'm still feeling like garbage, eventho i think whatever it is is mostly gone.

gonna leave work early and try to sleep it off.

Pork Chop
11-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Took wednesday off- only worked a half day of work too.
took thursday off work and slept most of the day.

thursday evening i made it back to the gym

3 rounds jump rope
3 rounds shadow - all 3 w/weight vest & handweights- back started hurting
6 rounds of heavybag- 2 w/weight vest. my output was getting so low with the vest due to the fatigue it was kinda counter productive, plus i could feel lunch coming up
3 rounds of double end bag

went running thursday night for 30 min

Slept a good 10 hours last night.
I don't know how sick I still am.
I feel pretty good, but this morning i felt really weak.
Got a lot on my mind.

Pork Chop
11-20-2006, 10:47 AM
supposed to have been doing more floor work and just never seem to get around to it

friday
3 rounds jump rope
3 rounds shadow 2 w/weights, 1 w/gloves
6 rounds heavybag
3 rounds double end bag

they were closing up the gym early friday so i left after that

didn't run over the weekend
something about the cold weather lately making running more of a chore

friday i think i realized that my ex wasn't going to swoop in and take me to the boxing matches in vegas. but come saturday morning i still didn't want to give up on her and on my favorite boxer- which is something i'd said i'd do if she didn't show up. believe me, i know how insane i sound. this is my one little picadillo and by january i'm not going to let it continue. anyway, i was supposed to go to the gym saturday morning if she didn't come, so i'd start rooting for morales instead of pacquiao. I didn't show up & didn't write either of them off, but couldn't order the fight coz pacquiao being filipino and her being filipino, his fights were too much "our" thing- the one part of my hobby she seemed to get into.

Long story (relatively) short, i was still rooting for pacquiao and he destroyed morales in 3 rounds. still managed to have a bit of a pity party this weekend, falling back into old habits (everything but the drinking), but it's only a single weekend and i was at least able to get some housework done.

This week's going to be a bad one coz of the holidays but i'll do what i can.

I'm starting to enjoy being off the zoloft rather than on it...
being off it lets me feel normal and really understand what i'm feeling.
being on it tends to make life easier- but more "grey"- i have a generally good mood but i don't really get excited about stuff or upset about stuff and have a hard time getting anything done around the house.

glucosamine's been helping my joint & tendon pain, coupled with the break from jogging.

Won't get out of work until late tonite but hoping to still at least get some gym time in.

Pork Chop
11-21-2006, 02:14 PM
bad day yesterday

ate spicy buffalo tenders for lunch
i was still feeling them in the evening at boxing
couldn't even do a decent round on the heavybag
the guy i usually hang out with down there at the gym asked me if i wanted to jump in the ring
i told him i'd like to do defensive drills or go light

once i got in there i realized he had other plans
he's a big, hard-hitting heavyweight
last time he wore 20oz gloves, that's what he normally wears with people not on his level.
he seemed shocked that i'd been wearing 18z.

maybe that was unfair to him, i don't know- i am a snappy puncher, not a clubber, so i lose a lot of power with larger gloves, plus i never go for the kill and really never punch as hard as i can.
It's not like the 18s were teeny tiny gloves either, they're huge and put me at a disadvantage even if he was wearing 20s, which help your defense and don't take as much off the power of a clubber as they would a snappy puncher.

he put on cheapo everlast 16oz this time.
that should've been my first clue.
he didn't want to do defense drills he kept sayin he wanted to "mix it up".
i responded with "okay, let's go light".

my stomach was really bugging me so i couldn't put much effort into anything.
i couldn't use my normal footwork to stay away.
i couldn't go after him with a good combo if i wanted to.

in his range, he pretty much dominated- he had lighter gloves, hits harder, counters real well, and is stronger than me so he was rockin me pretty good.

in close, when i tried to go for a clinch he dropped elbows on my skull 2 or 3 times, i have the lumps to prove it.

he kept going after my stomach, knowing it was bothering me.
eventually i couldn't even muster up what little footwork i was managing.
by the 3rd round or so (we started halfway through the first), he was starting to really land big combos on my head.
my head was aching from his elbows, his shots were really starting to hurt, and i was a sitting duck with my stomach.
i took a knee and puked on the canvas.
i bowed out of the sparring and called it an evening.
couldn't get to sleep last night with the lumps on my head.

today i'm really angry about it.
i don't think i'm going to work with him again.
i don't like going to war with people i see everyday at the gym, and have said as much, but he really seems like he's got something to prove.

I need to find a new buddy at the gym- someone to be my workout partner so I can do defensive drills and maybe get some padwork.
I'm used to doing a lot more partner work than i have been.
I really need to reevaluate my strength & conditioning- I think after thanksgiving I'm going to spend at least a month lifting heavy, doing interval training, and getting a little power.

i hate bad sparring performances
they really bother me
in this case, it's not just a winning/losing thing but someone who's really trying to cause me bodily harm instead of working with me.

i don't know how to handle this situation.
i would think the other guy would be more understanding considering he's got more experience than me & obviously has no respect for anything i can do.
thought we were buds.
don't see what he's trying to prove.

it may be a pusssy thing to do but i think i'm going to talk with the owner/coach in private. the owner/coach is the type that doesn't like people going hard in sparring either. the other guy trains with another coach that's not there all the time.

i came in late to work today and i'm not feeling all that well as a result of the lumps on my head either.
i really don't need this.

gonna stew on it till after thanksgiving.

Pork Chop
11-27-2006, 10:42 AM
took thanksgiving week off, but managed to do a killer chest & tri workout friday night.

i drove back up saturday morning and vegged

early sunday morning, at 3am, my grandpa finally passed away.
he hadn't really woken up in 4 weeks, so it's not like we didn't see it coming.
gonna miss the guy, he was a great person, i'm sure he's in a better place.
my training's up in the air because i have to leave tuesday for the funeral.
i'll get back thursday.

SevenStar
11-27-2006, 07:17 PM
my condolences, man.

SevenStar
11-27-2006, 07:25 PM
bad day yesterday

ate spicy buffalo tenders for lunch
i was still feeling them in the evening at boxing
couldn't even do a decent round on the heavybag
the guy i usually hang out with down there at the gym asked me if i wanted to jump in the ring
i told him i'd like to do defensive drills or go light

once i got in there i realized he had other plans
he's a big, hard-hitting heavyweight
last time he wore 20oz gloves, that's what he normally wears with people not on his level.
he seemed shocked that i'd been wearing 18z.

maybe that was unfair to him, i don't know- i am a snappy puncher, not a clubber, so i lose a lot of power with larger gloves, plus i never go for the kill and really never punch as hard as i can.
It's not like the 18s were teeny tiny gloves either, they're huge and put me at a disadvantage even if he was wearing 20s, which help your defense and don't take as much off the power of a clubber as they would a snappy puncher.

he put on cheapo everlast 16oz this time.
that should've been my first clue.
he didn't want to do defense drills he kept sayin he wanted to "mix it up".
i responded with "okay, let's go light".

my stomach was really bugging me so i couldn't put much effort into anything.
i couldn't use my normal footwork to stay away.
i couldn't go after him with a good combo if i wanted to.

in his range, he pretty much dominated- he had lighter gloves, hits harder, counters real well, and is stronger than me so he was rockin me pretty good.

in close, when i tried to go for a clinch he dropped elbows on my skull 2 or 3 times, i have the lumps to prove it.

he kept going after my stomach, knowing it was bothering me.
eventually i couldn't even muster up what little footwork i was managing.
by the 3rd round or so (we started halfway through the first), he was starting to really land big combos on my head.
my head was aching from his elbows, his shots were really starting to hurt, and i was a sitting duck with my stomach.
i took a knee and puked on the canvas.
i bowed out of the sparring and called it an evening.
couldn't get to sleep last night with the lumps on my head.

today i'm really angry about it.
i don't think i'm going to work with him again.
i don't like going to war with people i see everyday at the gym, and have said as much, but he really seems like he's got something to prove.

I need to find a new buddy at the gym- someone to be my workout partner so I can do defensive drills and maybe get some padwork.
I'm used to doing a lot more partner work than i have been.
I really need to reevaluate my strength & conditioning- I think after thanksgiving I'm going to spend at least a month lifting heavy, doing interval training, and getting a little power.

i hate bad sparring performances
they really bother me
in this case, it's not just a winning/losing thing but someone who's really trying to cause me bodily harm instead of working with me.

i don't know how to handle this situation.
i would think the other guy would be more understanding considering he's got more experience than me & obviously has no respect for anything i can do.
thought we were buds.
don't see what he's trying to prove.

it may be a pusssy thing to do but i think i'm going to talk with the owner/coach in private. the owner/coach is the type that doesn't like people going hard in sparring either. the other guy trains with another coach that's not there all the time.

i came in late to work today and i'm not feeling all that well as a result of the lumps on my head either.
i really don't need this.

gonna stew on it till after thanksgiving.

hurt him. even if it's just that one punch that knocks him on his arse, hurt him. he's being overly aggressive because he thinks he can. stop him.

BoulderDawg
11-28-2006, 01:01 PM
hurt him. even if it's just that one punch that knocks him on his arse, hurt him. he's being overly aggressive because he thinks he can. stop him.

Short of just sucker punching the guy and probably getting booted from the club how do you hurt someone who's better than you are?

I say use it as a learning experience. In my school I spar with this guy, who's just started Kung Fu by the way, however he's built like a sherman tank and has 3 years boxing experience. The guy is aggressive however I would much rather spar this guy than someone else who will not do anything.

SevenStar
11-28-2006, 04:37 PM
being better doesn't mean you can't hit him at all. Like I said, that one shot may be all he needs. the guy may respect his wishes more when he knows that he will get socked back just as hard. In this case, it's not about the learning experience. it's about respect. chop asked that they spar lightly. dude agreed, yet didn't comply.

Pork Chop
11-30-2006, 04:42 PM
thanks for the condolences.

i'm gonna have to drop down gloves next time i spar him
i just can't hurt a guy with that much weight on me with big gloves- plus it gets harder to put good combos together with oversized gloves.
i also need to change my strategy- tighter guard instead of playing tag, maybe even run him over.

in the meantime i gotta start all over with conditioning.
had to take some time to get my head together; unfortunately fell back on old habits.
still feel like i'm going crazy. lol

Pork Chop
12-05-2006, 03:50 PM
I've been frigging busy trying to clean up my apartment
i have managed to clean up my diet a bit at least- eating more than i'd like, but it's not as unhealthy as it was.
i'm looking at my falling off the wagon the last few weeks as almost like an illness or an injury.
I've been getting a ton of antioxidents, vitamins, and vegetable smoothies all to help me heal up the damage.

Still have 1 more load of laundary and vaccuuming to do tonite, don't even get out of work tonite till 7pm.

Planning on going home, starting the laundary, vaccuuming, and hitting the gym for a light workout if I have any time/energy left.

See, basically i decided one thing- i prefer living in a clean place. if i let the house go too much i kinda feel depressed, like i'm not showering & taking care of myself. It doesn't have to be spotless, just clean enough not to feel like I'm some sort of deadbeat. Doesn't have a whole lot to do with the situation with my ex, but on the off chance she comes back, it'd be kinda nice.

This week has helped me remember the reasons I wanted my own house in the first place- being able to set up my own gym and do things on my own schedule.

real cold out right now, otherwise jogging would be fun.

Pork Chop
12-06-2006, 12:48 PM
It's been a long time coming for a new routine.
I lost a lot of strength training "old school" but did a passable job maintaining weight before the holidays hit.

Here's what I'm thinking:

WEIGHTS
Monday
Cleans: 6 sets 3 reps
Lunges: cycle through 3 sets 8 reps, 4 sets 6 reps, and 6 sets 4 reps
Military Press: cycle through 3 sets of 8, 4 sets of 6, and 6 sets of 4
Dips: cycle through 3 sets of 8, 4 sets of 6, and 6 sets of 4
Bent Rows: cycle through 3 sets of 8, 4 sets of 6, and 6 sets of 4

Friday
Deadlifts: cycle through 6 sets of 4 reps, 4 sets of 6 reps, and 3 sets of 8 reps
Squat: cycle through 6 sets of 4, 4 sets of 6, and 3 sets of 8
Bench: cycle through 6 sets of 4, 4 sets of 6, and 3 sets of 8
Pullups: cycle through 6 sets of 4, 4 sets of 6, and 3 sets of 8

If you have a fight coming up, go to 3x3 at 85-95% (as heavy as you can) 5 weeks out, stay there for 4 weeks, and the last week, still 3x3, but drop to 70%, and go for explosive.

CARDIO
Mon & Fri
20 minute session light to medium-high intensity on elliptical as warm up
10 minute sprint sessions on elliptical, or 20-10 tabatas on versaclimber

Off-Days (1 to 2 times a week)
30 to 45 minutes, light to medium-high intensity jogging or eliptical

BOXING
4 days a week
At least 3 rounds for jump rope, shadowboxing, heavybag, and peanut bag each session
Each workout include at least 2 things from:
weighted punchout drills, footwork drills (bobbing/weaving & dancing), medicine ball drills, floor work (squat thrusts, abs, & pushups), defense drills, sledgehammer, versa ball

Pork Chop
12-06-2006, 09:52 PM
first day back
kind of a skills day but also didn't try to kill it so that i can have something left in the tank at the end of the work out to build on next time...

i decided to really try to learn the dempsey drop step today

3 rounds shadow boxing with gloves
3 rounds double end bag
1 round heavybag
2 rounds mitts - really working on that drop step
4 rounds heavybag - still workin it

i think i got it. the trainer said that on the mitts it had a crapload of power coz my whole body was behind it. he holds mitts for a lot of the bigger guys so i think it was at least decent. it felt pretty good, but i'm going to need to work it more so it becomes more natural, quicker, and less of a tell.

no jump rope, but i'll catch up on it later in the week

afterwards i went to the gym for my first weight workout in a long time

18 minutes on the elliptical- after a few minutes of warm up i started alternating 1 minute sprint, 1 minute rest, taking the last few minutes for a cool down. Really pushed hard on this one. I think my endurance is shot for the most part.

lunge - 3 sets of 8 each leg with just the bar. I always get sore on this exercise, like the bad kind of sore, so i was trying to keep that in check & take it slow. I noticed that I usually put most of the weight on my hamstrings, so when they started cramping up, i figured out how to switch it to my quads.

clean - 1 set of 3 w/just the bar, 1 set of 3 w/65lbs, 3 sets of 3 w/95lbs

military press - 3 sets of 8 w/40lb dumbells. it wasn't that hard, it just really hurt my joints. overhead presses are really uncomfortable.

lat pulldown- 1 set of 8 w/80, 1 set of 8 w/100, 1 set of 8 w/120. Someone was hogging up the pullup assist machine so i did lat pulldown instead. I used a wide grip and really went for perfect form. I know I was supposed to do bent rows today but I'd rather not do deadlifts and pullups on the same day. I do bent rows with dumbells so it's not so bad on my grip.

dips - 1 set of 8 w/100lb assist, 1 set of 8 w/80lb assist, 1 set of 8 w/60lb assist. The last set was difficult but still do-able; felt like i was barely even being assisted.

Decent first day. I didn't do everything that I'd eventually like to build up to doing, but put in some good work and know where I want to improve to.

Pork Chop
12-07-2006, 10:56 AM
I finally got my closure...
i hope my ex fiancee and her new husband are happy.
http://www.xanga.com/ehud

i may not be working out today
but i'm not going to let it go on past another day or so

Pork Chop
12-08-2006, 08:17 AM
I ended up working out yesterday anyway
i was a bit angry and my lungs were in bad shape so my workout wasn't the greatest

3 rounds shadowboxing w/gloves & weight vest
4 rounds heavybag, 2 w/weight vest
4 rounds double end bag
1 round shadowboxing

was just real tired at the end.

no payback from the emails i sent after learning the truth, as far as the ex situation goes, so i think i'm in the clear.

Pork Chop
12-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Haven't forgotten about working out, but i've been busy as all heck.
I've had to stay at work past 7 all this week- gym closes at 8 and been having problems with my sleep.

In fact my whole routine's garbage, but i have been at least having fun.
my friend took me to a dope thai restaurant on wednesday- best one in the area.
on tuesday i went to a private, members-only japanese bar.
on sunday i played the wii.

sometimes i still wake up a lil angry and ticked off, but i don't really care about what happens to those 2; they could die a horrible death or live happily until 100, i just don't want to care about it anymore. i've decided it's not worth paying anymore mind to them, so it's frustrating to wake up and think about that.

i've got a few girls i'm talking to, not sure where any of 'em are gonna go.
one i want i could probably have but the distance is a recipe for disaster.
another one i want may be turning around now that there's some resolution.
my best bet is probably just seeing who drops by the japanese bar.

before anyone gets on me for trying to hook up already, for starters, it's fun to have someone to think about, and i don't think a casual relationship would be such a bad thing now, 5 months after the fact. Yeah, i may have trust issues for a while but i'd rather just have some fun & being a hermit's not fun.

for next week i'm really just going to try to get my schedule and bad habits fixed; so i can work from there.

right now, it's almost like when i was on the zoloft- i just can't get worked up about anything, including cutting my sleep short to wake up for work, going to bed early, or living my life around the gym.

SevenStar
12-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Man, being a hermit is awesome. train, read and play video games. being a semi hermit is cool too. date women, then go home and train, read and play video games.

Pork Chop
12-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Yeah, i just kinda like to have a girl (or something else) to focus on.
Coz if i don't have a girl to focus on, my mind's gonna keep drifting back to this stupid year.

i'm kinda neurotic, my mind's almost impossible to turn off, usually i focus on a passion and just run after it, but lately i don't have a passion.

I have a general idea of what i'm gonna do from here on out- ie my masters & next summer's vacation; but I don't have anything that i wanna throw myself into.

Boxing's fun, but it's not a life's passion for me anymore - maybe because i don't feel like i'm learning anything down at that gym. I feel like I could get just as much training in if i just had all that equipment at my apartment.

Like I said, i really don't care what goes on with them, all i really want is something to be passionate about and for karma to swing my way a bit, after such a tough year... not to sound selfish or arrogant, but i kinda feel i've earned it...

if i had to go through all that to start enjoying my life for real again, like i hadn't in years, i can accept that. going to that japanese bar made me realize that it was the kind of spot that i've really missed these past 10 years.

work, boxing, video games, working out... nothing really does it for me...
i should probably go back to jogging...
i've spent crazy money (talking 5 figures easy) on distractions this year because i haven't had anything to throw myself into and be passionate about.

just kinda drifting...

mantiskilla
12-15-2006, 11:05 AM
"Man, being a hermit is awesome. train, read and play video games. being a semi hermit is cool too. date women, then go home and train, read and play video games."

LOL either sounds perfect to me. not really sure how people have families...think that would send me running for a cave somewhere...or some heinous crime so i could get solitary in prison.
________
Portable Vaporizor (http://www.vaporshop.com)

Pork Chop
12-15-2006, 01:12 PM
normally, that would be enough for me. but something's missing in my training (aside from consistency of course). it's just not consuming me like i'm used to.

meltdawn
12-15-2006, 01:34 PM
well, you could always find a neighborhood where people's cars are getting broken into, and hide in the bed of your truck with a baseball bat until you catch someone. or at least someone i know told me this is a good adrenaline rush.

playing vigilante always kicks it up a notch.

Pork Chop
12-15-2006, 08:43 PM
the last time i tried that, they held me at gun point and made me dance for them in my boxers, singing "i wish I was a ****** cracker" to the tune of the oscar meyer weiner song....

mantiskilla
12-16-2006, 06:51 PM
"normally, that would be enough for me. but something's missing in my training (aside from consistency of course). it's just not consuming me like i'm used to."

take a break for a couple of weeks and just run and lift weights...or do something else productive: paint, write, drink lots of beer, eat some mushrooms and wander in the desert for a little, go midget tossing, set fire to something, start a fight in a nursing home, etc. i usually feel burt out or unmotivated right before i have a 'breakthrough'.
________
Yamaha psr-248 (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_PSR-248)

Pork Chop
12-18-2006, 09:23 AM
went jogging last night
my usual 30 minute route (1 lap)
figure i'll just try to do something everyday even if it's small
if i can't jog i'll focus on pushups or something
start slow and build back up

made a serious step towards cleaning up my bad habits
was sick this weekend and ended up cleaning the house instead of going out
did some cooking too
got a bit of fillipino food left to finish
kinda cathartic
the more i finish the less i seem to daydream arguing with them in my head

lately i've been trying to help people out, wherever i can see an opportunity.
if it's a friend or someone new or whatever, i try to do what i can (within reason) to try and spread some love.
i realized this weekend that I tend to attract women on the rebound & have a history of it with the last couple relationships.
most of the time I don't even know about it until I'm already knee-deep in a bad situation; but the last 2 times i guess it was clear enough early on and chose to ignore it.
i nurse 'em back to health and then they realize their feelings weren't real in the first place. by lying i guess they feel they can spare me some hurt; of course it does the exact opposite.

i also tend to meet girls that want to rush into stuff headlong.
take my last ex for example- criticized me for a "long engagement"- we'd been living together a year and a half, but had only been engaged a few months when she started cheatin. She met the guy face to face after a few months of internet romance, a month later they're married.
I find the idea of not meeting the in-laws until 3 months after the wedding absolutely apalling.
i don't want a big, huge wedding, but getting married with no family or friends is like you're embarassed of what you're doing.

anyway sorry to pontificate, but i think i'm realizing some mistakes i've made in the past and trying to learn from them. think i'm going to be more selfish in my choices from here on out and take red flags for what they are.

Pork Chop
12-18-2006, 11:33 PM
tonite went back to the boxing gym
had brazilian churrascaria for lunch, it was christmas party through work, so i was sweating longanisa during my workout

3 rounds jump rope
3 rounds shadow - 2 w/weights, 1 bare
4 rounds heavybag
1 round mitts- extra long, puked at the end
2 rounds of double end bag

went jogging tonite for a half hour

my kettlebells finally showed up.
i'll get goin on those tomorrow
gonna keep this workout thing a daily thing & take it a bit easy if i need to; ie walking instead of jogging if my legs are suffering, not leaving everything in the gym, etc.

Pork Chop
12-19-2006, 02:17 PM
forgot to mention it earlier but the same trainer who said i'll never be a power puncher accused me of trying to break his arm with a cross yesterday....
looks like the dempsey drop step is working.

tonite i gotta be somewhere at 7
not supposed to get out of work until after 6:15
all i really wanna do right now is hit the gym & play with the kettlebells
argh i dunno what i wanna do
kinda getting sick of work

Pork Chop
12-20-2006, 09:24 AM
drove off to go do that thing last night around 7 but it was rainy, foggy, and dark out... accidents were inevitable... ended up filling up gas and just going home.

the longer i was dealing with that weather the more run down i got.
got home, ate a little and passed out at 8pm
woke up this morning at 9am

I really wanted to work out up until i left work
so it was suprising to see how quick i crashed

guess it was a combination of the weather, not sleeping much this week, still being sick, and not eating enough.

i'll do better today

Pork Chop
12-21-2006, 07:47 AM
yesterday was better

got to the gym late, so tried to just keep it as intense as i could

1 round jump rope, fast as i could
4 rounds heavybag
1 round double end bag

short, but i was pretty winded by the end

went jogging for 30 min

my kettlebells are in so i went on the back porch:

1pood each hand, 2-handed kbell swings x 10, x8, x7 - exhausting. form fell apart as i kept going.

1pood, 1 arm clean & press (double on the press) x 5 each arm

1pood, 1 arm sidepress x 10 each side

didn't want to work it too hard, but i think i got in a good workout
i'll build up as i stay consistant.

Pork Chop
12-22-2006, 07:38 AM
Last night was a bit better

boxing gym
jump rope 3 rounds
shadowboxing 3 rounds (2 w/weights)
heavybag 5 rounds - hurt my left hand pretty early on. Think it might be a wrapping issue.
peanut bag 3 rounds
sledgehammers w/versa ball- x20, x20, x10 - tired by the last one

went home and went jogging a few hours later for under 30 min- think i've gotten a bit faster at the jog eventhough it was slow starting due to the cold.

tried to do some pushups and ab work but everytime i got out of my chair i got hit by soreness in my legs and back from the jog. Will try to catch up on it today at the boxing gym instead of hitting stuff - due to my hand.

i think the key to keeping this stuff going is dialing it back to allow for fatigue instead of trying to constantly progress.

SevenStar
12-24-2006, 07:29 PM
good idea. nobody can continually progress.

Pork Chop
01-03-2007, 08:01 AM
Was keeping up the jogging pretty well and even kettlebell stuff until the week of christmas.

worked out like the friday or saturday before and then got a serious case of bronchitis.

fell off the wagon with the smoking thing too, so it's probably walking pneumonia by now.

had a blast at new years hoping it's a sign my karma will change.

Discovered 2 more women lieing to me recently: chick in houston has a bf that stood her up 2 days in a row, so the only time she bothered to call was to complain about him; girl up here in ftworth that i was digging a bit turned out to be like real married and not just separated.

decided i'm going to visit italy and germany next winter, was supposed to be summer but i can get most bang for my buck in winter. i may end up moving there in a year or two- was born in italy and can get citizenship pretty easily.

i know at the very least i need a major change of pace.
i feel like i'm losing it and have for a long time.
i don't want to be here anymore.
sooooo sick of being alone.
if something doesn't happen soon i'm afraid of something drastic.
thought my karma was on the upswing, now not so sure.

Pork Chop
01-09-2007, 08:39 AM
had a really bad case of bronchitis since christmas time.

friday night i went dancing at a hip hop club for a good 3 hours of nonstop dancing.

sunday afternoon i started with an okinawan folk dancing troup and that ran from about 1pm until 5:30pm. First hour or 2 was real rough, but after that it got easier.

Monday night was my first night back at the boxing gym. I'd been feeling better, but I may have come back a bit soon. After the workout I couldn't stop coughing for a good 2 or 3 hours.
Wasn't a very long workout, but it was intense, and being my first time back- it really kicked my bootie.

3 rounds of jump rope - 15 pushups after 1st round, 8 burpees after 2nd round
3 rounds of shadow - 2 w/weights, 20 squats after first round
3 rounds of heavybag

workout was only between 30 and 45 minutes, but i was hurting after- mostly due to my lungs. went home and chilled afterwards. Gonna be a while before I can build up to a reasonable amount.

Taking today (Tuesday) off. I don't want to work out every day when i'm already a lil sick, coz that what makes your immune system tank & your illness gets worse.

Pork Chop
01-11-2007, 10:11 AM
boxing
still haven't worked my cardio back in or my kettlebells; but it's cold & i'm still healing up from the bronchitis, so i'm playing it safe.

4 rounds of jump rope - 15pushups after first round, 5 burpees after 3rd round, 20 squats after 4th round

4 rounds of shadow - 2 with weights, 1 pure speed, 1 footwork/bobbing weaving under rope

4 rounds of heavybag - 1st power shots on big bag, 2nd bodysnatcher ball for infighting, 3rd combos & power on medium bag, 4th jabbing & combos on light bag

1 round of double end peanut bag

15 leg lifts on dip chair, 15 knees to chest
15 med ball overhead situps, 15 med ball twists

Switched back to the Ultimate Classic bag gloves. having way fewer hand & wrist injuries. Think it'll help my longevity, so any drawbacks are worth the price- plus i'm able to hit much harder.

Drank a lot of 2% milk after my workout, like half a gallon. Had some chilli con queso for dinner, but not all that much. Diet really hasn't been all that bad lately. I'm eating my way through the food i've got so i can hopefully reduce my spending enough to pay off my crazy december. The goal is to make it to March; which isn't as ludicrous as it sounds. Once I run out of food, then it's back to oatmeal so i can drop weight. My weight's keeping me from a lot of stuff I want in life, so I'm bout to the point of "whatever it takes to get there".

Boxing's not really the focus in my life right now. I'm just trying to have fun and stay active as possible- w/boxing, okinawan dance troupe, meetup groups, language classes, and jogging when i'm ready. if nothing else, the dance troupe on sundays is 5 hours of good cardio. I may start training Shorin Ryu with one of the guys from the troop. I'm just worried about having fun and being a happier guy. If money & weight are obstacles, it's time to work on those.

phoenixrising
01-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Porkchop,

I feel you, man. I have been depressed and alone too (more than most). Although I don't know you I am concerned about you based on what you've written- we are all brothers.

One book that helped me alot to turn things around is called Ask and It is Given (by Esther Hicks). You may be able to get it from your library, check out the reviews on Amazon.com

Some other books I like are Stillness Speaks and the Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.

I also wonder if your depression may not be contributed to by your diet (I've read about the links). Can you find any organic liver in your area? Organic marrow bones (for soup)? Raw organic milk? You can try westonaprice.org These things need not be very expensive and I'd recommend having them at least once a week. As far as a diet of pure oatmeal, this is a very nutritionally incomplete diet and could, I think, contribute to depression, or at least not help it.

Have you checked around for some cheap therapy (its out there)-

act, don't react. determine or be determined.

any questions, ask or pm.

Pork Chop
01-12-2007, 10:38 AM
pheonixrising
thanks man :) I appreciate it.
I'll look into what you suggested.

I've got a good book "i don't want to talk about it" that talks about men's mental health issues & battling depression.

there's a few organic markets around.
i haven't really done the oatmeal thing since august.
i think if i were to go on it, it would be oatmeal, milk, dried fruits, and trail mix.
i just say "oatmeal" to simplify it.

i think my depression basically boils down to: being off of ritalin, recent issues with someone I trusted really putting me through heck, poor self image (primarily the weight), and (most importantly) living with the decision i made after graduating high school to follow my parents' dreams for me & not do what I wanted to do- i've been regretting that one daily for the past 12 years.

i feel like i'm doing better now though.
the language classes & dance troop help me feel like maybe I'm back on track to be where I want to be.
going out with my coworkers is helping me to see that maybe fort worth isn't the dead town i once thought it was.

I figure as long as I'm active my weight will be easier to maintain than if i was just working out, going home, pigging out, and going to bed.
It may not seem like much, but even the calories burned by walking around downtown add up.
I also think that happy people tend to be healthier.

I'm still working on it and I appreciate all the help I can get. :)

Pork Chop
01-12-2007, 10:43 AM
thursday night

boxing gym:

jumping rope was giving me shin splints so i just hobbled through one pathetic round.

shadowboxing - 2 rounds with weights, 2 rounds with gloves

double end peanut bag - 3 rounds

heavybag - bodysnatcher, light bag, light bag, bodysnatcher, medium, big bag- total 6 rounds.

met up with my coworkers at a bar.
danced a bit at the bar. kept it to a single light beer & a few diet cokes.
Afterwards we went to another dance club bar and danced for an hour and a half.

my weight's within 10 pounds of my august starvation weight, which is a good sign because as the diet comes more on track and I start adding more workouts to my routine, the weight will start dropping off.

phoenixrising
01-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Chop,

No problem, man. In response to following your parents dreams for you instead of yours, there is a saying I like that goes 'it is never too late to be what you might have been.' Filling your mind with inspirational stuff is good to do. The first Chicken Soup for the Soul book is good- your library probably has it- many people did not fulfill their potential or 'succeed' until late in life.

Anthony Robbins talks about 'lies he chooses to believe'- these are ideas or thoughts he chooses to believe are true, although he doesn't know they are for sure, because if they weren't life wouldn't be worth living.

One is that everything that happens to you happens for a reason and for your good.

Another is that you can be, do, or have whatever you want.

I forget the rest-

One of the things I like so much about Ask and It is Given is that it is the only self-help/spiritual book that teaches you what to THINK/focus upon in order to be happy (and get whatever you want)

One of the the things I like about Stillness Speaks is that it teaches you to still your mind and disidentify with your thoughts and emotions (they are not you), stop the inner monologue, and just BE, like a puppy, or a rock. And when you just BE like that, you are happy, joyful ..... it is your nature.

Pork Chop
01-13-2007, 10:07 AM
got laundary done yesterday and that's about it.
weather got cold and rainy all of a sudden- so i didn't hit the bar last night, didn't drive to dallas this morning, didn't even hit the boxing gym today or yesterday.
Yesterday was actually sore- that's why i skipped, needed to sleep.

Gonna try to come up with something to do with today.
maybe i'll go to the fitness center to get some sort of activity in.

Pork Chop
01-15-2007, 10:34 AM
ice storms through monday morning

just did a lot of stuff around the house over the weekend- laundry, straightening stuff up, and cooking. didn't ever do anything on saturday except have a few drinks after goin to a movie.

sunday i did 5 hours dancing pretty solid.

if i can safely drive to the boxing gym, that's the plan for the evening.

Pork Chop
01-16-2007, 08:21 AM
ice storm + non-climate controlled gym = pork chop takin the night off

lots of stuff around town was closed anyway, so i don't feel so bad
driving was pretty scarey.
can't wait for the weather to change; of course it may get worse until march.
after that nasty case of bronchitis, i don't want to risk jogging in severe cold; coz that's what started it in the first place.

Pork Chop
01-17-2007, 10:26 AM
My Nintendo DS came in last night so now I have a killer pocket translator for Japanese, as well as a kanji tutor. Picked up a couple games, a starter pack w/car charger, and some groceries last night; might have been a waste of money but i guess i just don't care- total was under $130 so it's probly not going to kill me.

went to boxing gym

jump rope 3 rounds
shadow boxing 2 rounds w/hand weights 1 round none
heavybag 3 rounds on medium-heavy bag
mitts 2 and a half rounds straight no rest
heavybag 1 round on the big bag, 1 round on light bag- lots of footwork.
peanut bag 3 rounds

pretty long night, but probably not my most disciplined as far as staying consistent the whole round. did what i could tho. jump roping in freezing cold hurts like i dunno what. My distancing needs some work- i crowd my punches too much.

going to try to hit the fitness center tonight for maybe a little added cardio, possibly some weights. I realize that boxing's not enough to keep me in shape alone, so i'm doing my best to stay as active as i can with a day or 2 off each week. Ideally I would like to hit the fitness center twice a week, jog & kettlebells 2 to 4 times a week, do boxing 3 or 4 times a week, drumming team once a week, and go dancing once a week. Unfortunately with the severe weather I'm somewhat limited.

this morning i did some calisthenics, didn't have much time though.
pushups x 15, ab wheel x 10 superset
pushups x 10, situps x 20

Pork Chop
01-18-2007, 08:41 AM
my left forearm's kinda collapsing under the strain of all the heavybag work.
gonna have to take it easy for a day or two or something.
i don't even know if i can lift weights- coz any strain on the grip makes it hurt.
grip on my left hand feels pretty weak right now.
was thinking to maybe get a CoC but i think the muscle's strained so it would probably just exacerbate the problem for the time being.

last night i was told that i didn't have much time to work out

heavybag - 6 rounds no rest
double end bag - 2 rounds no rest

afterwards my arm was hurting bad enough not to consider the trip to the fitness gym

tonight i'm going to have to keep my workout centered around jump rope, shadow, and calisthenics.

mantiskilla
01-18-2007, 09:36 AM
dude, i had the same issue with my arm, its tendonitis, probably from excessive heavy bag work. it will start in the forearm and eventually make its way to your elbow. if it gets that far yuo are fvcked for a while as far as hitting the bag. my got so bad i couldnt even pick up a glass of water with my left hand. better rest it now otherwise it could take a long time to heal if it gets really bad.
________
THE CIGAR BOSS (http://thecigarboss.com/)

Pork Chop
01-18-2007, 10:33 AM
yeah it goes from the knuckle of my ring finger, down the back of my hand, top and bottom of my forearm... not quite to the elbow yet.
aches like i dunno what.
it's what i always imagined carpal tunnel to be like
doubt i could crush a coke can with my left hand now.

it's actually been bugging me a while. it kinda went away when i took the week or so off due to being sick. I thought it was my gloves- coz the grants don't have a ton of padding: was bruising my knuckles. Might still be a glove/support issue because I didn't wrap last night and it flared up really bad.

i'm really missing kickboxing and martial arts. being able to displace the wear and tear across your legs AND arms was a lot easier on the body. getting a little fed up with boxing i guess u could say. Closest thing i've got to a trainer is a guy at the gym who's got less time in than i do (albeit 1 or 2 more fights).

Pork Chop
01-19-2007, 09:12 AM
The plan yesterday was so simple.....

Go home after work, take the evening off the gym to let my arm heal, get to bed early, wake up early, and hit the fitness center...

unfortunately my ******* neighbors decided to start yelling outside my window at 1:30am so i woke up.

Got back to bed by 4 and probably should've stayed up reading or something because I didn't wake back up till 9 this morning. Well I couldn't get out of bed till 9, i woke up plenty of times- like at 6 when the neighbors downstairs decided to have a dog barking & wall pounding contest for the second day in a row.

we got trains goin by all the time too.

i should get out of work today at 5:15. We'll see what I can pull off for training tonight. Like maybe the boxing gym for some jump rope & shadow box, then off to the fitness center for some weights & finish up with cardio.

Pork Chop
01-22-2007, 04:19 PM
After a lot of thinking I decided to readjust my training goals.
I figure my boxing's probably about as good as it needs to be.
I don't think hitting the heavybag's going to get me where i want to be, especially if my limitations in training are a matter of pain & injuries instead of exhaustion.
I need to lose weight and boxing's not really the most efficient way to get there.

As a result, i'm taking some time off from the boxing gym and going to focus on hitting the fitness center & going dancing.

Finally found a salsa club in fort worth. gonna try to hit that friday or saturday.

over the weekend i was busy...

friday night:

squats 135 x 20, 135 x 15, 135 x 10
lunges bar x 10, 65 x 10, 65 x 10
incline press 95 x 20, 105 x 15, 105 x 10
dips 150lb assist x 20, x 15, x 10
assisted pullups 140 x 18, 150 x 12, x 10
seated row 95 x 20, 105 x 15, 115 x 10
standing crunch machine 3 sets of 10 reps of 3 crunches (forward, side, side) w/60lb

elliptical 30 minutes

saturday afternoon:
did a drumming performance for about an hour

went to the fitness center afterwards

leg press 1 plate each side x 20, 2 plates each x 20, 3 plates each x 15, 4 plates each x 10
bench press: 135 x 20, 155 x 10, 155 x 8
incline dumbell press 55lb dbells x 15, x 10, x 8
dumbell row 40 x 20 each, 50 x 15 each, 60 x 10 each
pulldown 90 x 20, 100 x 12, 100 x 8
lower back extensions 20 x 140, 15 x 200, 10 x 260
standing ab crunch 100lbs x 3 sets x 10 reps of triple crunch
5 or 10 minutes on freestanding heavybag throwing kicks
about 1 round attempted jump rope- slow leather rope just wasn't workin for me.
15 minutes on the elliptical

Saturday night i grabbed a small bowl of ground chicken over rice and hit the bar with my friends. Drank & spent more than i wanted to. Sat around outside in the cold for over an hour afterwards to make sure i was okay to make the hour drive home. Think I'm going to have to cut out the drinking- stick with diet coke or something coz i just don't have time & money to deal with alcohol & being hungover.

Sunday was kinda weird kinda fun.
Woke up sore & slightly hung over.
I didn't have the "still drunk" hangover, or the "omygod who just hit me with a sledgehammer" hangover, or even "i'm sober, but really dizzy" hangover... it was the tired, slightly achey, hungry, "i know i went out last night", "hope what i was saying didn't come off as stupid" feeling.
Was kicking around the idea of hitting the gym early, but opted for the extra sleep- forgot to turn off my alarm which went off at 7:30.

headed out to drumming practice and picked up some Church's chicken to share with the group- was starving by this point.
Did a 4 hour drumming class, felt myself getting a little moody at points, hard to explain. Snuck off into a corner at a couple points to go shadowbox- just to keep my activity level up during the duration of the practice, didn't want to have too much break time.

Turns out maybe the REALLY hot lady from the okinawan drum group might be the one that's single. If so, that's a heckuva turnaround from Saturday- when i saw this girl i liked on a date with another dude & had this other girl talkin to me the whole night with her hands under the table rubbing on the guy next to her.
I get to bust out my Italian cooking skills in February for this big event. I better do a good job, my chance to shine, possibly hook up with women later on down the road.

Sunday night hung out with my dancer friend, which i know i was trying to cut out, but it was kind of a 1 last hurrah scenario. I'll have to go down there again in another month or so to pick up my stuff

Didn't drink, but got home late sunday.
Tried to wake up for work today and thought i was dying.
went back to bed and didn't wake up till 2pm.
even at 2 it was still hard to roll out of bed.
strolled into work at 3:45 to put in a few hours so i have less to make up later in the week. Might get in trouble for it but I needed the sleep.

Spent too much money again this weekend, but it was on a much smaller scale than December. I'm sure if I live a bit leaner the next 5 or 6 weeks that it'll all balance out. For example, I spent 200 bux at the store getting household goods. I needed new pots and pans, and i'll make use of them it's just a bit of a hit. Shouldn't have spent so much Saturday, but if I lay low this weekend I'm sure it should balance out.

Feel like i've got 3 choices of who to hang out with right now: local fort worth, the crazy dallas japanese crowd, and the okinawans. I gotta say that the okinawans will probably be the best group for me. The guys from the Dallas crowd are real cool and nice to me but... it's just a bit too fast paced. I think I'm also having a hard time buying into their outlook on women. It's interesting to learn how they think and to see it working so well- they're always surrounded by women. But if it takes embracing the idea that there's no such thing as commitment or love in a relationship in order to be popular with women, i don't know that i can do it. The local fort worth crew, while fun on occasion, is just not enough to keep me interested- unless the salsa thing really pans out.

Dang, this is a long one, well i had some stuff in me that i had to get out.

My big priority for the day is tracking down my traffic ticket and paying it off- opting for defensive driving. I think it's in my car. After I handle that, if there's any time left, i'll try the gym. My legs are super sore.

Pork Chop
01-23-2007, 09:08 AM
got outta work pretty late last night, after 7.
went home and cooked some dinner.
had a few beers so i could get sleepy by 12 after waking up at 2pm.

had a weird phone call with this really odd girl who likes to hang out but doesn't like to talk. Was trying to tell her when japanese classes were, about everyone meeting up at the bar, also about why I might not be able to make it, and she was like "TMI TMI TMI". I guess really don't give a crud if it gets back to the other guys why I'm uneasy hanging out with them sometimes. I've just never dealt with someone who was so non-talkative; didn't even let me explain where i was coming from. different types of people i guess. but i had a hard time getting the convo off my mind.

woke up a little late today but not too bad.
I should be back to normal by tomorrow.

Pork Chop
01-24-2007, 09:20 AM
Alright so Tuesday was a bit of a down day.
Got outta work around 7.
Went home and was starving.
I cooked some hot dogs- still trying to finish off the last of my filipino food.
Then I got real sleepy.
Decided to work out in the am and made it in bed by 11.
Woke up this morning around 5:45.
Made it to the gym around 6:15

Squats: bodyweight x 10 - my legs were super stiff, 135 x 10 - really stiff, 185 x 8 - still super stiff, 225 x 6 - went wide stance, got some pain in the lower back, had a hard time going down all the way. I stretched between every set & my legs seemed to refuse to want to loosen up. Will probably have to stick with lighter weight, focusing on good form for a long time; should probably stay in the 135 to 155lb range. My legs were still sore from last weekend, which contributed to the stiffness.

lunges: bar x 10 each leg, 65 x 10 each leg, 95 x 10 each leg. Left knee's been bothering me.

incline press machine: 80 x 20, 95 x 15, 110 x 10 - last set was a lil tough, 1st set was easy, last set a little tough.

assisted dip: 160lb assist x 20, 150lb assist x 15, 140lb assist x 10, 130lb assist x 6 - felt pretty easy, 1st set or 2 probably too easy.

assisted pullup: 160lb assist x 20, 150lb assist x 15, 140lb assist x 10, 140lb assist x 5 - still tough, biceps and grip went first

seated row machine: 80 x 20, 95 x 15, 110 x 10, 125 x 6 - not too bad

standing ab crunch: each rep was center, right, left (a triple). 80lb x 10, 90lb x 10, 100lb x 10

Went home and had a couple eggs over easy and some hashbrowns.

Going back tonight for my cardio.
My strength levels right now are pathetic.
Gonna hope that they start coming back up as long as i stay consistent.

SevenStar
01-24-2007, 03:48 PM
it'll come back. Like you stated, consistency is key.

Pork Chop
01-25-2007, 08:39 AM
did the elliptical last night for 50 minutes, aerobic xtraining interval setting, reported calories burned- 1100. :cool:

Got to bed late last night around midnight
tried to wake up at 5:45
didn't wake up till almost 7
went to the gym anyway

leg press: 1plate ea side x 20, 2 plates x 15, 3 plates x 15, 4 plates x 10

bench: 135 x 20, 155 x 9, 155 x 8 - really hard once i went up to 155. shoulders kinda felt like they were sliding out of joint. started feeling weak from being on an empty stomach.

military press: 50lb dumbells x 8, 45lb dumbells x 8, 40lb dumbells x 10 - yeah, much weaker on an empty stomach. last set was more of an incline press coz i was tired of my shoulders feeling like they were going to pop completely out of joint.

bent row: 50lb dumbell x 20 each arm, 55lb dbell x 15, 60lb dbell x 10 - pretty easy

reverse flies: 10lb dumbells x 20, 15lb dumbells, x 15, 20lb dbells x 10 - last set tough

Was in a bit of a hurry to get back home so i could get into work at a reasonable time so i cut the workout short there. Don't mind leaving a little in the gym now and then. Lifting on an empty stomach's a little tough. Only had a tall glass of milk last night for dinner. Lost a little bit of weight already, we'll see where I'm at in 4 weeks.

Pork Chop
01-26-2007, 04:15 PM
man i'm an idiot

all that stress

found the briefcase in the end
still may not take back what i bought
not sure i'm actually in the system for the ticket...
gonna check tomorrow

Pork Chop
01-28-2007, 09:39 PM
saturday i got a lot out my system

snatch grip, deep squat deadlift - 135 x 20, 185 x 10, 185 x 10 - hurt my hands

dumbell bench - 50 x 20, 55 x 15, 60 x 10

seated military press - 40 x 10, 40 x 10, 40 x 10

bent row machine - 95 x 20, 110 x 15, 125 x 10

2 cable pulldown - 80 x 20, 100 x 15, 120 x 10

cardio - elliptical crosstrainer - 1 hour, 1370 calories PR

Suntzu
02-01-2007, 09:59 AM
YO!!!! WASSUP E

i got ur pm.... i'll work on it 2nite...... better late than never.......

looks like ur pretty busy lately....... me too.....but ur havin more fun than me..... might wanna change ya weight training routine up......... anyway just got back from New Zealnd..... had a BLAST.... i love it there.... just sharing some pics wit u......
this is the Sky Tower in downtown Auckland......
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2699230580100151621aWXuFY
we stayed like maybe 4 blocks away from it....... we did ALOT of walking on this trip......this is some dude jumping off of it......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qelp658Lj-4
a couple of kids from our group got to jump off of it twice....
I got to see alot of the country.......we looked in on alot of there sport infrastructure..... Rugby is a sweet as sport..... appearently we are missing like the Super Bowl of Tournaments..... i'll tell u more about the trip later......

we got a pretty good team going at the moment....... we have a few events we wanna do..... trying to focus on san shou this year.... i got alot of work to do myself..... i had a nice LONG break over the holidays and they make GREAT beer over there...... and i'm tryin to win one of these...
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2354183230100151621hdPEGO

here is Jon Jr(Noah)........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQmN1TnqFy0
made in his likeness.... but not as out there......

and JD......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6yW7WKtY6A
made in my likeness...... see how gassed he gets........

i'm out....... i'll catch up wit u......

Pork Chop
02-01-2007, 11:08 AM
thanx :)
welcome back
i'll call yah tonite

this weeks' been bad for working out, nothing really to report yet.
haven't been feeling all that well
lot on my mind.

Pork Chop
02-04-2007, 10:13 PM
danced today and messed around on the heavybag.
got a few folks that promised me new workouts and am kinda waiting on them.
if i don't get them, hopefully i can make it to the gym tomorrow and do SOMETHING.
i just know i need a lil more organization.
i think if a friend gives me something to do i'll just follow it
i'm having too much trouble making decisions for myself as far as routines
diets i think i'm just going to have to do what i can, counting calories really ain't me, just going to try to eat small and eat often.

Pork Chop
02-07-2007, 09:18 AM
yesterday i was reading an article that said most burnout requires 10 to 14 days of recovery and severe cases can take months.
i don't think i had a severe case, but i think there may be something to the 10~14 day range.
Last night was the first night i actually felt pretty good after work.
This morning was one of the first times I was out of bed within a half hour of gaining consciousness.

Starting to feel like my life is nothing but work.
A lot of nights I don't get outta work till 7, after i get home i've got the choice of cooking something, doing a little bit of housework, and chatting with friends while I check email or I can rush off to the gym to get in a late workout.

Last night, for example, I got outta work around 7:20. i hit up the grocery store after work to get some yogurt and some dinners to cook. Got home a little after 8. By then I was hungry, so I cooked dinner, threw today's lunch in the crock pot, and checked my email, next thing i knew it was after 10. Guess I'll try to get to bed by 10 from now on to get in a morning workout.

Still need to solve the problem of a solid routine.
I have very little concept of what is "overdoing it" and what is "enough".
I've tried out a bunch of routines over the last year and i just haven't found something that's fit.
My only priority right now is trimming bodyfat. I don't really want to be any more muscular, but need to make sure i got enough "engine" to burn the fat.
I also think a step down in intensity may be in order as going high intensity all the time can have negative effects.

Pork Chop
02-08-2007, 08:52 AM
my buddy sent me a workout last night:

week 1, day 1 monday: 3s x 5r 60s rest
- use fairly heavy weight
-six total exercises
-4 compound & 2 single joint

day 2 wed: 3s x 8r 90s rest
- med weight

day 3 fri: 2s x 15r 120 rest
- light weight

day 1:
-back squat
-incline bench
-chin ups(palms toward)
-deadlifts
-incline hammer curls
-standing calf raise
day 2:
-romanian deadlift
-dips, weighted
-front squats
-barbell row(palms down)
-close bench press
-seated calf raise
day 3:
-wide grip pull ups or pull downs
-zercher squats
-flat bench
-alt. db press
-lying tricep ext
-barbell curls

week 2:
day 1: same as week 1 pair up antagonistic muscle groups and super set,( one set a1 one set a2 rest 60s)
a1 squats
a2 incline hammer curls
b1 incline bench
b2 chins
c1 deadlift
c2 calf raise

day 2: same as day 2 week one and super set

day 3: same as day 3 week one and super set

Gonna start it monday

Went to bed early last night so i could wake up early this morning and hit the gym. Went to bed at 8pm and woke up at 8am. I don't know what's going on with me. I think my apartment complex is too noisy with planes, trains, cars, and rude neighbors. I dunno what's goin on. I mean I haven't worked out all week, I've been getting enough sleep, there's no reason for me to have completely zonked like that. O well. Maybe tonight i'll have better luck.

Pork Chop
02-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Last night i made it in for the first night of my new program

back squat: 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 5, wide stance, last set was a little weak, tried to maintain form instead of going as low as possible and might've been a little high on the 225, not sure.

incline dumbell bench: 55s x 5, 60s x 5, 65s x 5; almost 2 easy

chin ups: some dude was using the only assisted pullup/dip machine, so i did negatives- First set i did as many actual chins as i could- probably 2 good ones, 2 cruddy ones. For each of the last 2 sets I did a negative clocking in @ at least 15 seconds each, probably more than 20seconds each.

snatch grip deadlift: 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 5.

incline hammer curl: 30s x 5, 35s x 5, 40s x 5.

calf raise: (no standing calf raise machine here so i did the machine where you're seated but your legs are straight) 180 x 5, 220 x 5, 240 x 5

What gives?
My weights looked almost back to "normal" and this workout didn't kill me.
Felt like i could've left a lot more in the gym.
I think it's actually a good thing- i might actually be successful getting on this routine. My body likes 3x5s a lot more than my other schemes. Wednesday and friday will be higher rep, however.

Going to keep my cardio on the off days or at the opposite time of day- whenever i can fit it in.

EDIT: gave this girl i been talking to more of a chance over the weekend and don't think the rumors about her are true. i think she's got an active social life but i don't think she has any ulterior motives for me (in a bad way). Think she's trying to take her time with me. Love talking to her face to face. Phone conversations don't go as well. Otherwise, really starting to like her.

SevenStar
02-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Love talking to her face to face. Phone conversations don't go as well. Otherwise, really starting to like her.

Man, I HATE those situations. I have friends that I have great conversation with face to face, but on the phone, it's like "hey, whatcha doin? ok, cool....................................so........ ................whatcha doin now?"

Pork Chop
02-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Man, I HATE those situations. I have friends that I have great conversation with face to face, but on the phone, it's like "hey, whatcha doin? ok, cool....................................so........ ................whatcha doin now?"

hehe exactly....

face to face we flirt all the time and i really feel like i'm getting to know her.
on the phone it's like she's different, i can't tell if she's even interested or not.

not only that, but when we talk on the phone she's constantly getting calls from other people, or someone's over at her place- she tells me she'll call back and doesn't. our most involved phone conversations have actually occurred via text msg.

i've already prepared for worst-case scenario with this one, so any good's a pleasant surprise. i've got it into my head that she's gonna find someone else she's more interested in eventually (if she hasn't already), but i'm still going to be nice to her in the meantime coz i like her & it brings me joy to do nice things for her.

know i'm over analyzing but i think the idea that she's trying to take it a little slow may hold some water. if she just wanted to be friends i think she'd do things differently. if she just saw me as a short-term fling, she wouldn't be making vacation plans for us at the end of the summer.

Pork Chop
02-16-2007, 02:26 PM
I been DEATHLY ill the last few days.
took 2 days off from work.
didn't get outta bed today till like noon.
hobbled into work for an hour or so to see what i could get done.
probably a mistake even showing up.
started out a bad head cold that drifted down to my chest from yesterday.

Pork Chop
03-01-2007, 04:11 PM
FINALLY got something started....

stole a kettlebell program off of bodybuilding.com and i'm gonna steal that.
i feel bad that rob wrote up that program for me and i only did it once, but i need something that's gonna work for my schedule.

today's workout:

double clean & press: 2x1poodkbells x 5 sets x 5 reps
double bent row: 2x1pood x 5 sets x 5 reps
pushups: 5 sets x 5 reps

I did all 3 exercises super-setted, with < 1 min rest between super-sets.

my heart rate was crazy by the end.
Workout took maybe 15~20 minutes; took me a LONG time for my heart rate to slow down- like another 30 min or something.

kettle bell workout is nice coz it's super convenient, i don't have to worry about gym hours, machines being taken, people getting in the way, forgetting my gym id, or finding parking.

wanna try to do some sort of cardio tonight, even if it's going for a walk for an hour.

Pork Chop
03-02-2007, 04:47 PM
last post was 138, and i missed it... dang

this morning i woke up a bit late.
last night i went to the german restaurant.
it was awesome but i think the second stein of beer was a mistake- but i needed something to wash down the brats.
luckily the drive was short.
fell asleep as soon as i got home

this morning's workout:
double front squat (2 36lb kettlebells) 5x5 supersetted with-
double kbell swing (2 36lbers) 5x5
1 min rest in between supersets.
This superset hurt more than yesterday, but my heart rate might've recovered quicker.
finished up with turkish getup situps with a 36lber. 36pounds feels REALLY heavy for this exercise. it was super hard.

the workout's really short, 20 min max.
slowly but surely i'll get there.
love how i'm feeling so far.

Found out from my boss that April 20th for going to okinawa should be a go.
Gonna go for 2 weeks if i can. Part of me wants to cheer, part wants to cry, part of me still hasn't digested the idea. I've needed this for so d@mn long...

PS Just realized I didn't post an updated. it turned out that the girl i was talking to was a ho after all. every one of those players claimed to have hit it and none disputed any other. they've all gotten with the same girls & do on a frequent basis; proving as much with another girl from hong kong. anyway saturday the chick was hittin on dudes right in front of me- sitting on their laps and stuff. I was like "sorry i started likin you, but i ain't gonna bother you no more." she tried to get me to come over on sunday and i was like "you're not going to see me around anymore, keep my watch i got plenty".

Pork Chop
03-05-2007, 12:09 PM
went out of town this weekend.
it was a total breath of fresh air and kinda sealed my upswing.
still not out of the woods on everything- like smokin, but a lot closer to bein where i want to be than i was.

yesterday i got back from austin around 2pm.
i hung out at the house callin various people till about 5, when i passed out- slept till 9:30 like an eeeediot. At 9:30 I woke up and started straightening up the house. Washed a ton of dishes and started a bunch of loads of laundry. Didn't get back to bed until after 2, and even then i laid there a long time- probably didn't fall out till 3.

Tried to wake up at 7, but it wasn't happening. Finally woke up around 9:30. Needless to say, I was suddenly late for work, so working out didn't happen.
Guess I'll have to do it before bed?

Been blogging on mixi (japanese myspace) all the fun stuff i got going on.
I've gone back to trying to be as busy as I can, but cutting out the negative aspects. So I'll be doing the Okinawan drumming, Japanese language class, and any dancing I can get to (salsa mainly). I'll probably start an Okinawan Karate class on Tuesday just to have a reason not to be a chain smoking alcoholic. Went down to Austin last weekend, going again in a another week. Gonna start takin my young Okinawan buddy to the local concert hall for rock concerts.

Basically, just going to do anything that's fun, and doesn't involve all the drama of the private japanese bar. Having a good time being priority #1; forget the idea of a girl for a while.

Anyway, that girl I was talking to is on my mixi. All of a sudden she's leaving me comments on my blog about how fun it should be to go back to okinawa; then she posts her own blog sayin like "i'm tired, i been following friends' advice, I met someone by chance, i gotta do something different, I'm gonna start having fun, from here on out will be an adventure". Whatever the heck that means. I really gotta stop payin attention to this chick. I think she's like a black hole (toilet) of negativity and anything involving her just gets sucked (flushed) down.

I mean, she's surrounded by some of the worst players I've ever met- half of these guys are in bands and get with groupies on the regular. They all bang the same women and trade notes. It's pretty incestuous and gross. The chicks aren't much better, this girl bein one of 'em. In fact, the players recognize her skill in being like them and respect her for it (kind of odd). I think the chicks are slowly realizing that the guys are on an even higher (lower?) level than they are. Not only that, but they're realizing that there's no going back while associating with these dudes. Stuff they thought was private is actually public news. I'm surprised genital warts and other stds that condoms don't do so well against aren't running rampant with those people- i'm talking an average of 2 or 3 different encounters a day per person, sometimes in the bathroom of the bar.

Another friend of mine from down there (maki), who's a little bit more discreet than the girl i was talking to recently got outted by a bunch of the guys there. Her reaction tells me she is/was a bit shocked to find out that everyone was up to date on her business.

Staying as far away from those people as possible is a great idea.
Only reason I'm having a hard time not paying that girl any mind is coz I thought we may have had a real connection. We both got shipped off to the middle of nowhere by our parents to keep out of trouble, her to Oklahoma, me to Lubbock. We both feel like we gave up our fun to do what we were "supposed" to do. Both feel like we missed out on that normal "fun" stage after high school, beginning of college. We both would probably rather be somewhere else- me okinawa, her cali. We both can't live without music- even though a lot of those guys are in bands they don't listen to music in their free-time. And from talking to her i got a genuine sense of loneliness- like all the guys that sleep over saturday are gone by sunday. Nobody sticks around, or even treats her all that well. Whereas, treating her well is all i did- i didn't even touch her.

On the other hand a lot of what she says comes off as lies; coz she tried to cover up a few she was embarrassed about. so it's hard to know if any of what she said was the truth. She also kinda comes off as someone who uses people. Chatting with my buddy Charles who went for her 6 months before I did, she's not the type of person that reciprocates, she just kinda takes what she can get.

Screw it. Gotta focus on the good stuff. The other garbage will resolve itself. Tonight is Japanese class and (if I'm smart), catching up on my weight routine.

SevenStar
03-05-2007, 01:51 PM
I work with a nigerian woman who is fluent in her language, french, german, spanish and japanese. She's started trying to teach me japanese.

screw the dumb women, take them for what they are. In the meantime, get back in the gym.

Pork Chop
03-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Thing is, i absolutely hate going to gyms here... the gyms here suck - that includes fitness centers as well as fighting gyms. I miss my old gyms. the people at the gyms here aren't cool either. it's just UGH. gym used to be my place to get away, hang out with some cool people, talk fights or working out, put in a good sweat on decent equipment, and get at least some sort of guidance. now it's just a place to go and deal with stupid people while i work out on my own.

that's why lately i've been trying to do the kettlebell thing at home.
i'll try out the karate class tomorrow and see how it goes.

in general though, except for the freakshow that is the private bar, my opportunities to get good at Japanese here are really amazing & fun; so i've just made that my priority lately. I've done pretty well too. My grammar, vocabulary, reading, and even listening are better than they've ever been.

I'll help you out with a bunch of online resources if you want. I'd say the biggest pot of gold i've stumbled on lately has been:
http://www.guidetojapanese.org
They have an online textbook for grammar that's really top notch- at least 3 or 4 years of classes worth of grammar all collected in one easy to read spot; plus lots of links to online dictionaries n stuff. They have a really cool forum there too.

SevenStar
03-06-2007, 08:58 AM
bookmarked it. Have you only chacked out boxing gyms, or have you checked out other stuff as well? any muay thai or bjj places around?

Pork Chop
03-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Travis lutter's on the other side of Fort worth, maybe a 20 min drive in normal traffic, of course that area's gotta be the heaviest traffic in fort worth, so my drive would be closer to an hour. Plus, his class is well over $100 a month, probably double of anything else here, and I really don't like BJJ or mma that much.

The muay thai gym here's a strange beast. There's no free form bag work & not even much free form shadow boxing. Everything's a set number of something. Pad work is never free form, and it's rarely simple combos either. The combos build and build until they get to be about 15 moves. If you want to spar you have to do the MMA class- the instructor has a major jonez for mma. First month in that class, people i described it to told me it sounded like Ajarn Chai style, it made sense, especially considering the instructor's JKD combatives. I know he also has a Fairtex certification- which is weird coz his stuff isn't like any other stuff I've seen at camps in Thailand or other instructors around the states. He's a nice guy though and really pays attention to details, which is why I've been considering going back.

Saeksan Janjira is in plano but at 1hour to an hour and a half i don't see myself being able to make it ever.

Tried one of the boxing gyms close to my house. It's cheap and the people are generally friendly but I basically pay 'rent" to go there and work out on my own. Haven't learned a darn thing in the last year. They seem more interested in horse racing than boxing.

Paulie Ayala just opened up a new place even closer to my apartment, but after checking it out I'm just not sure.

Even checked out kung fu schools in the area and nothing I'm really crazy about.

Muay Thai's my first choice as far as something to train.

I just thought the Okinawan karate would be kinda nice, considering the teacher's a friend from the Okinawan drumming group, he's legit for the style, and if I don't pop off at the mouth, it might be fun to learn something that's such an integral part of a culture that I'm already passionate about.
Gonna check that out tonight, btw.

This morning, got back on the kettlebell business
Superset:
alternating military press (2 x 1pood)
alternating bent row (2 x 1pood)
5 reps ea x 5 sets, 30 seconds to a minute rest
superset:
bodyweight squats
mountain climbers (hurdlers)
5 reps ea x 5 sets, 30 seconds to a minute rest

I want to have my act cleaned up by the time i go to okinawa. it may not be much time (april 20) but it's motivation to try. just keep doing what i can do and keep my progress moving forward.

stricker
03-06-2007, 03:33 PM
The muay thai gym here's a strange beast. There's no free form bag work & not even much free form shadow boxing. Everything's a set number of something. Pad work is never free form, and it's rarely simple combos either. The combos build and build until they get to be about 15 moves. If you want to spar you have to do the MMA class- the instructor has a major jonez for mma. First month in that class, people i described it to told me it sounded like Ajarn Chai style, it made sense, especially considering the instructor's JKD combatives. I know he also has a Fairtex certification- which is weird coz his stuff isn't like any other stuff I've seen at camps in Thailand or other instructors around the states. He's a nice guy though and really pays attention to details, which is why I've been considering going back.

Saeksan Janjira is in plano but at 1hour to an hour and a half i don't see myself being able to make it ever.i guess you work mon-fri so why not do the local muay thai gym for basics evenings during the week then bust out to saeksan janjira at the weekends and get real quality pad work and sparring done there?

also do you see long combo work in itself as bad? im not talking 15 moves straight but say 2-3 sets of combos done one after the other so it really adds up to about 15, but done with distance, timing, rhythm etc

Pork Chop
03-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Any combo that's more than 6 to 8 is a bit ludicrous imho.
Boxers flurry all the time and i've seen very few top 8 punches at a time.
However, I do like the idea of 3 to 6 hit combos that you can mix & match in a freestyle fashion.

Elaborate back and forth combo forms, where you're basically performing substantial, set patterns or mini-forms on the pads are even worse.
That's not to say response drills on the pads are bad- but i like them more like the Mayweathers teach it - 1 or 2 responses for each type of attack, then practice flowing from defending one attack to the next- but in a freestyle manner, with counters built in.

You've got a good idea on muay thai up here during the week, saeksan on the weekend. I'll look into it. If I can swing it after 1 instead of before noon, i think i'll go for it. Of course I don't want to cause friction between gyms though.

i already asked my friend about showing up- if i could, but yeah, i'm not really that hyped about karate. I don't know if i can make it tonight my eyes are really bothering me today.

SevenStar
03-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Travis lutter's on the other side of Fort worth, maybe a 20 min drive in normal traffic, of course that area's gotta be the heaviest traffic in fort worth, so my drive would be closer to an hour. Plus, his class is well over $100 a month, probably double of anything else here, and I really don't like BJJ or mma that much.

I was gonna say the same thing - sounds like chai's training. My first muay thai gym was affiliated with them and we had to learn the 15 count drill and other stuff as well. We did do free shadowboxing and pad/bag work though. those drills are part of chai's requirement's for his certifications, among other things.

SevenStar
03-06-2007, 04:07 PM
i guess you work mon-fri so why not do the local muay thai gym for basics evenings during the week then bust out to saeksan janjira at the weekends and get real quality pad work and sparring done there?

also do you see long combo work in itself as bad? im not talking 15 moves straight but say 2-3 sets of combos done one after the other so it really adds up to about 15, but done with distance, timing, rhythm etc

it's not the way it sounds. There is defense in it - evading, absorbing and parrying strikes. The 15 and 17 count drills are like a simulation of a sparring session. here is the 15 count:

1. Parry cross
2. Right elbow covers hook
3. Left elbow
4. Right elbow
5. Right knee
6. Left round kick
7. cross
8. hook
9. Right knee
10. Right round kick
11. Left foot jab
12. slip the cross to left
13. hook
14. cross
15. Right round kick

this is assuming you are an orthodox fighter and not southpaw.

Pork Chop
03-07-2007, 10:48 AM
yah we were adding stuff like "take 2 steps back", "come forward 3 steps", "weave under an elbow", and combos that didn't seem to go together "lead straight, lead elbow, rear straight, lead hook". A lot of it made like zero sense and seemed like a forced way to teach people to put things together instead of building a proper style based around their attributes. I wasn't at the school long though, so i know they probably had a lot of other good stuff.

Last night I went to bed around 9, coz my eyes were hurting. One of the player guys that knows me and homegirl was emailing me, trying to give me advice, and prodding me for info on her completely out of the blue. Truth is I do like the chick, I just can't associate with her coz she's toxic. Of course, all I told the guy is that I'm sick of talking about women all the time, life's too short, and I'm just trying to have a good time.

Ate too much last night, but at least I didn't smoke. Like I said, I've finally got some motivation to cut out cigarettes and alcohol as much as I can for a while.

This morning I woke up real late, still had to be at work early.
After going to bed early i don't quite understand it, maybe it's just my "wednesday thing".
Going to switch to the 2 time a week kettlebell program instead of the 4.
It's not like I'm sitting around the house bored all the time; I'm always either really busy or really tired.

Pork Chop
03-14-2007, 06:41 AM
Went back to the muay thai gym on friday.
Put in a good 1 hour workout, which finished up with bodyweight exercises.

friday night broke cardinal rule #1 and went drinking with my lil brother. still shaking my head at what went on that night.

saturday spent all day at a house party and went salsa dancing at night. it was a lot of fun. it brings a smile to my face knowing i've got good friends to hang out with now.

sunday i chilled most of the day, except to hit up a compusa closeout sale and hang out with my dancer friend while she worked. ordered a pizza.

monday japanese class followed by sushi. ate too much sushi. tried a small bottle of sho chikubai, hot; compared to Okinawan sake this stuff tastes like nasty cough syrup. Realized i don't really dig a lot of mainland japanese culture, especially not after the sushi chef from osaka started talkin trash about okinawans & their culture.

Tuesday went back to the muay thai gym for another 1 hour workout, followed by 3 sets of 10 reps on bench- 125 widegrip, 115 medium grip, 95lb close grip; bench was shaky so i couldn't do more weight. The muay thai combos don't seem anywhere near as crazy this time around. I think i was overly sensitive before coz of being heat sick and having so much drama going on in my personal life last year.

woke up early this morning and got into work relatively early.
Going to try to make up an hour at least- because i think i'm 3 hours behind on the week after monday and tuesday. might hit up the meetup group in dallas tonight, but if i do it will probably be late. don't really like the idea of exposing myself to those people.

Pork Chop
03-15-2007, 03:20 PM
worked off 2.5 hours
got out too late for the gym.
went to the meet up group last night straight from work.
went to the bar afterwards

it was kinda fun because those guys totally exposed themselves as little kids
they tried playing more games with me- makin up some story that my friend was talkin trash about me, yada yada yada. it was all pretty blatant.
once i figured them out they became more annoying than anything else.

stayed a little late talking with this girl that's close with one of my married couple friends. it was funny because they were trying soooo hard to get with her and she kept manipulating the situation well. after a while they assumed i was hooking up with her. After she left, I left. Truth is, she's nice, we're friends, but i got a buddy who digs her and i want to let him have his shot.

my hours at work this week have been crazy
2 days of 7 hours, 1 day of almost 12, next day (today) i'll probably have 6 (total). If I can't get tickets to the show then no going to austin, so tomorrow i may not be jetting out of work early afterall.

SevenStar
03-16-2007, 08:40 AM
monday japanese class followed by sushi. ate too much sushi.

I ate 20 pieces last thursday.

Pork Chop
03-16-2007, 10:35 AM
I ate 20 pieces last thursday.

Sushi-Sashimi combo, followed by a 6 or 8 piece crunchy tuna roll plate.
close to 30 pieces, but probably not so much rice.

it's weird, i've been going, going, going lately.
I'm pretty exhausted, too exhausted to work out (no time anyway); but i feel like i've got more energy than before. i think your mood can greatly effect your energy levels.
i'll get in at least 3 workouts next week (2 muay thai, 1 or 2 kettlebell).

stricker
03-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Any combo that's more than 6 to 8 is a bit ludicrous imho.
Boxers flurry all the time and i've seen very few top 8 punches at a time.
However, I do like the idea of 3 to 6 hit combos that you can mix & match in a freestyle fashion.

Elaborate back and forth combo forms, where you're basically performing substantial, set patterns or mini-forms on the pads are even worse.
That's not to say response drills on the pads are bad- but i like them more like the Mayweathers teach it - 1 or 2 responses for each type of attack, then practice flowing from defending one attack to the next- but in a freestyle manner, with counters built in.well some of the thai fighters i know (international a class-standard) definitely do long-ish set drills, but they're like 123-123-1-123 in rhythm. i like the simpler padwork too, lots of padman attacking before and after combo's and simple short combos too, 3-4 moves, unless its something like a combo into clinch up, throw some knees then push out, right kick, where you can easily get like 10 moves with all the knees. but yup i love the quick response stuff, single punches/kicks etc, you need a regular parter for that stuff to work out what your doing...

You've got a good idea on muay thai up here during the week, saeksan on the weekend. I'll look into it. If I can swing it after 1 instead of before noon, i think i'll go for it. Of course I don't want to cause friction between gyms though.
hows it working out so far?

Pork Chop
03-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Haven't been able to make it up to Saeksan's yet, but the other class is going well eventho i've only gone a couple times.
This week I should make at least 2 times
next week going to shoot for 3 times

have a dinner party thursday, might go salsa dancing after.

had my first drumming practice in almost a month on saturday.
worked my bootie off and sweat real good.
afterwards went for dinner and karaoke, followed by drinking at my friend's place.

i know i've gotta slow down and cut that stuff out but it was fun
quitting smoking's turning out to be real rough
mood wise i've been on cloud 9 lately so i think as long as i keep trying i should be able to get where i want to go.

Feel refreshed this week after resting up good friday and sunday (my austin trip got canceled).

Pork Chop
03-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Just got out of kickboxing.
another tough one hour class.
stayed after a good 15 to 20 minutes just shadowboxing- going through my toolbox and crankin out some reps.
goin for 2 classes this week

gonna see if i can fit in a kettlebell workout or two this week as well.

Pork Chop
03-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Went back to muay thai march 23rd. good workout.

over the weekend went on a karaoke binge.
ate some pizza on saturday but otherwise did okay.
saturday also had drumming practice.
not the best practice, because everyone spent most of the time arguing but still broke a good sweat.

monday was japanese class, went on a sushi outing afterwards.
had like 4 or 5 big plates.
gotta stop doing that.

tuesday hit muay thai again.
last night's class was brutal with some little frog hops and duck walks.
could barely walk afterwards, still hurting today.

I'm really liking the muay thai gym this time around.

Trying not to get overwhelmed by all the stuff I've still gotta do.
Stressing me out a bit that I've got so little time to do so much: taxes, defensive driving, paying bills, cleaning my apartment, international license, taking care of that ticket, etc etc etc.

Pork Chop
03-29-2007, 07:18 AM
yesterday i couldn't walk very well- my legs kept giving out.
today it just hurts.
last night i couldn't workout with my legs as they were.
got stuck in a meeting and missed an afternoon meal.
almost passed out- got like sick hungry.
found myself in a fuddrucker's eating a 1/2 pounder.
o well.
just wasn't feeling that good yesterday, especially after work.
lot of stuff with my job has left a bad taste in my mouth.
gotta work out today
friday's going to be my day to catch up on a lot of stuff like the defensive driving.

Pork Chop
03-30-2007, 12:54 PM
my legs are still hurtin
yesterday my eyes were driving me crazy
i checked outta work at 4:30 and went home
took a couple hour nap
then woke up around 8 or 9
stayed up a bit too late
had some unhealthy food
i pretty much decided this is going to be my "two steps back" week.
see i just finally quit smoking last week so this week my appetite and energy levels have been kinda up and down.
basically blowing up as big as a house.
it's been raining this week too
when it rains all my old injuries ache
i feel like an old man, achy body, no energy.
today, to avoid the eye problems i had yesterday, i wore glasses.
i'll head out to the gym around 5:30 or so
my legs are still in bad shape, better than before at least, i'm just going to do my best.

Pork Chop
03-30-2007, 07:52 PM
just got home from kickboxing.
went well but i rolled my ankle - probly due in part to a sore quad
still going to try to go tomorrow
gonna have to do defensive driving online
i really don't have time for one of those classes
went out for thai food after class
fried tofu and some penang curry w/chicken.
most delicious.
raining cats and dogs out
was thinking of going to the techno club in dallas coz i've got no other plans but it's a far drive in this rain, especially on a bum ankle.
can't wait for my metabolism to get back to normal now that i've cut smoking out
i feel big as a house.
going to start running again once we stop getting rain everyday.
this weekend's looking to be slow
didn't really plan anything coz i was supposed to go to my folks' place
glad i'm not going to houston though
could be in san antonio at a friend's housewarming party saturday, meeting this really hot girl, but got other stuff going on the same day and don't really want to be doing any roadtrips for a while.

Pork Chop
04-02-2007, 06:37 AM
kickboxing saturday the 31st for an hour.
ankle was tender but did okay.

saturday the 31st i also went to okinawan drumming practice for a good 3 or 4 hours, followed by karaoke & dinner till about 1:30am.

sunday stayed in my apartment most of the day, got some cleaning done, went jogging for a good 30 minutes late in the evening.

Pork Chop
04-04-2007, 08:46 AM
sunday night didn't sleep but like 3 hours- if even that.

monday felt like garbage, went to japanese class, then ate sushi, came home and slept- so tired i had a hard time getting to sleep.

tuesday still felt like garbage. was gonna go to the gym but forgot my workout clothes, so by the time i got home it was too late to make it to class. ate a little something and went to bed around 7pm, woke up around 9am, was dang near in a coma.

will make it to the gym today.
should run if it's not raining.

Pork Chop
04-05-2007, 09:47 PM
been a bad week so far
really let stress of everything piling up really get to me
fell off the wagon a bit
friday's going to be a busy day
at the very least i'll get some eisa in on friday and saturday
want to hit the kickboxing gym friday night though, if i can

Pork Chop
04-09-2007, 09:04 AM
Friday night like 3 hours of drumming practice
Saturday 1 hour practice & performance
Saturday night went bowling for the first time in a long time.
Bowled for like 2 hours, it was fun.
Sunday drove a few hours to go meet my folks.

been real sore today but i don't know how.
must be the weather.
my body's freakin me out

SevenStar
04-09-2007, 09:17 AM
it's probably freakin out cuz you drummed for three hours and bowled for two...

Pork Chop
04-09-2007, 09:21 AM
I guess hehe
I just don't consider that much of a workout.
think i sprained my shoulder bowling, it was killin me yesterday.

Pork Chop
04-11-2007, 07:35 AM
kickboxing last night
hurtin today coz i stayed up too late finishing up defensive driving; but at least it's finally done.
hopefully now some of my stress will drop off a little.

Pork Chop
04-12-2007, 07:59 AM
thai last night again and then a dinner party.
last night's thai workout almost felt easy.
of course i didn't get home until after midnight so i didn't get to bed till after 1 and thus didn't wake up this morning till about 9.
basically have to take today off from the gym just to make up hours.
was 3 hours short yesterday.
probably won't make up all 3 hours given how late i woke up
but at least an hour or 2 will help.
going to see how the weather is tonight.
if possible i might go jogging.

Pork Chop
04-18-2007, 09:48 AM
Thai on friday was kinda sore.

Eisa on Saturday, it was freezing.
Saturday night went to friend's house for a drinking party.
Don't remember too much.
Did the opposite of the "liquor before beer" thing and paid for it.
Bad idea.

Sunday did some hung over bowling and laser tag.

Monday did the japanese class thing with some sushi/sashimi afterwards.

Tuesday Thai again.

I'm pretty much burned out from everything & i'm still not done.
i'll be happy once my ticket stuff's turned in, my laundry's finished, my bags are packed, my apartment, and my car are cleaned.

going to go to work out tonight, but i may have forgotten my contacts.
Don't want to work out in glasses.

around 8 tonight my friend's supposed to come pick up her brother's cell phone he left in my car. After that i'll either go drop off my ticket stuff or get some sleep so i can pull an all-nighter on thursday, making sure not to miss my flight on Friday.

Pork Chop
04-20-2007, 02:40 AM
only worked out once this week.
i'm off to okinawa for 2 weeks.
won't be around.
update when i get back.

Pork Chop
05-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Okay I've been back from Okinawa over a week, but I suffered a pretty bad case of jetlag. For example, this past saturday i went to bed at a normal weekend time (1 or 2) and woke up at 7pm sunday evening.

I joined a new gym: 24 hour fitness. I'm tired of trying to fit my schedule around these gyms with no hours.

Today was my first workout back- aside from a long Eisa practice on Saturday.
My first impressions of 24 hour fitness: great atmosphere, fun place to hang out, really clean, no heavy bag, only one true squat rack, but they've got a pool open 24 hours which makes up for both.

I think I could really enjoy working out there every morning and swimming every evening (at least as much as possible).

warm up:
elliptical, 18 setting, built up to a super fast pace, chest felt like it was going to crack open about 5 or 6 minutes in. total 10 minutes 320calories- a new record i think.

weights:
cleans: 65lbs x 10 reps x 3 sets
squats: 95lbs x 10 reps, 115lbs x 10 reps, 115lbs x 10 reps - whenever i start doing legs again after time off, i can feel my hamstrings start pulling, which means that my legs will be sore for days. this time i ate some humble pie and stayed lighter than normal so that i didn't kill my legs my first day back. we'll see if it pays off.
t-bar row: 45lbs x 10 reps, 90lbs x 10 reps, 70lbs x 10 reps - legs were already a lil sore, this one isn't the one you lay your chest on, but a traditional t-bar lever. coulda done more but it was tough, a good start for my first day back.
dumbell bench: 50lbs(ea) x 10 reps x 3 sets

I was thinking about doing some abs & hyper extensions as well, but was feeling a bit spent. Trying to avoid my usual first-day-back mistake of overdoing it.

After work is kickboxing, and swimming later tonight to stave off any DOMS.

Pork Chop
05-16-2007, 08:05 AM
went to kickboxing after work.
came home and passed out for 3 hours before i knew what was happening
woke up and went swimming for about 45 min or so
felt good after
went to bed
overslept (slept from almost 1:30 to 8 instead of 4:45 like I wanted)
real sore today
but at least it's not the soreness where i can feel the muscle failing
should be able to kickbox tonight, or swim at the very least
i'd like to get to where i can pull 3 heavy days a week, with a medium-heavy day on saturday, and a light-fun day on friday, but i'm not quite ready to lift consecutive days yet.

dougadam
05-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Tried to jog Saturday night and then Sunday afternoon but it was raining.
I love jogging in the rain.

Pork Chop
05-18-2007, 10:33 AM
i'm finding as i get older that stuff i used to do all the time, i can't do anymore.
jogging in the rain = instant bronchitis and i'm out for 2 or 3 weeks.

btw- i've been recuperating since my lone workout day. going to have to take this slower than i originally thought. my hamstrings are still hosed 3 days later.

RFM
05-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Bro,

How long do your workouts take?

Back when I was in San Antonio, my worksouts were an average of two hours.

Now, I seem to rarely have two consecutive hours to claim for my own, and the time I do have on an average day is spent smoking cigars and unwinding. But as I have already posted on another forum, I am looking for my return to the MA world.

Peace,
Bob

dougadam
05-22-2007, 07:25 AM
i'm finding as i get older that stuff i used to do all the time, i can't do anymore.
jogging in the rain = instant bronchitis and i'm out for 2 or 3 weeks.

btw- i've been recuperating since my lone workout day. going to have to take this slower than i originally thought. my hamstrings are still hosed 3 days later.

I am sorry to here that. I am 47 and my sister tells me I should slow down. Someday I might.

Pork Chop
05-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Bro,

How long do your workouts take?

Weights - 45 min to an hour
kickboxing - an hour
swimming - 45 min to an hour

i think i kinda know what the problem is and i'm goin to make a more serious attempt at quitting my nicotine habit.

Pork Chop
05-24-2007, 10:20 PM
might've found the answer to my doldrums.
went back to kickboxing tonight, first time since last week.
apparently there are some fights july 14th and i should be able to get a fight with a first timer.
my coach's plan to get me ready is more reasonable than the 6-days-a-week that i used to shoot for.
feel hyped to go back tomorrow.
didn't do any other working out tonight.
had a dinner party after class, then had to cook some food for this thing at work tomorrow, and also had to put in some time chatting with the gf.
gonna get some sleep here in a minute.
finally psyched to hit whatever gyms i can tomorrow.

SevenStar
05-24-2007, 10:33 PM
maybe the notion of competition is all ya needed. train hard, man.

Pork Chop
05-26-2007, 07:45 AM
kickboxing again last night
going again here in another hour
still haven't lifted or got in extra cardio yet
drumming practice is cardio though - it's got a lot of dancing and swinging around a heavy drum.
will try to get in some swimming and some weights this weekend though.

7* - thanx man :) bit sore we'll see how the body holds up, but at least i've got some motivation to push through the aches and pains.

Pork Chop
05-30-2007, 11:52 AM
saturday
kickboxing 1 hour
HIIT workout (somewhat crossfit-esque) 1 hour
drumming/dancing practice 4 hours

sunday
buddy's graduation party
made the mistake of drinking

monday
recuperated in bed

tuesday
kickboxing 2 hours
2nd hour was sparring.
my right leg is hamburger and i hurt my left foot.

wednesday (today)
rest, might go swimming tonight and/or some upper body weights.

Pork Chop
05-31-2007, 07:09 AM
spent last night studying and relaxing afterall.
probably a bad way to spend the evening but i was hurting.
hoping tonight's workout isn't so injurious.

Pork Chop
06-05-2007, 10:37 AM
rested till friday
friday night did Eisa for 3 hours

saturday morning went to kickboxing, stayed for the boxing class, didn't do the combat conditioning

saturday evening did eisa performance. was REALLY tough. 30 minutes straight with the big drum at full speed. me and the other big drum guy were pretty much dead by the end of the show.

didn't get home till 3 am sunday morning.

sunday feel like i barely got out of bed but i actually got a lot of housework done.
can't help but think it's a side-effect of staying away from the smokes- even my "lazy" days are more productive than my old "normal" days.

Monday went to japanese class and japanese restaurant.
got home at 10:30 then a friend called. talked almost till 12, had to go to bed.

tuesday (today) woke up late thanks to the phone call. Got into work relatively on time but no morning workout, maybe tomorrow if i'm not hurting after tonight.

Pork Chop
06-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Tuesday night
kickboxing for an hour, kind of a lazy class. wasn't feeling too good before hand.
didn't stay after for sparring, my right fibula feels kinda broken.
had italian after class
studied a bunch of japanese
stayed up too late

Wednesday night
great class, but boy was it hot
almost passed out during thai pad rounds
started getting real dizzy
took off my shirt & got a sip of water before the 3rd round, so i finished somewhat strong.
after getting home, i wanted to lift, but it took me a long time to recuperate after kickboxing.
by the time i had any energy again, it was pretty late.
had a little bit of garlic chicken that i cooked around 10
couldn't sleep till almost 2 because of an energy drink i drank around 4- mighta been the reason i was overheating during the workout (200% niacin).
no weights yet this week, but i'll do what i can, when i can.

Pork Chop
06-08-2007, 09:13 AM
proud of myself
Thursday i forgot my contacts at work
was about to turn around and go home
but decided to hit the gym with glasses anyway

put in a good hour in kickboxing- heat is still kicking my hiney and hit the floor when my kick was blocked on my injured fibia; but otherwise it was good.

after kickboxing was a killer 30~45 minutes with the combat conditioning class.
was still taking it at my own pace, but the wind was helping, so while i was tired, i wasn't quite as dead as the other day in just kickboxing.

couldn't sleep last night till almost 2. dunno what was goin on.
laid down at 10 exhausted from my work out.
by 12 i felt wide awake.

tonight gotta leave work early to go do drumming practice - got into work about 3 hours later than i wanted.

got a drumming gig tomorrow (saturday) but don't know when and where.
If I can i'll swing by either gym.

stricker
06-08-2007, 09:26 AM
good work man.

i feel ya on the sleep thing, i've been a bit insomniac too the last week or so, have you tried ZMA?

Pork Chop
06-08-2007, 11:44 AM
I love ZMA, it works well.

I need to get back on it, but the only way i can get ahold of it is ordering online or walking into a creepy supplement store- i say creepy because walking into one has the mysterious affect of getting me to drop large quantities of money on stuff that doesn't help my working out much.

I think I couldn't sleep last night coz I drank a liter of cappucino-flavored whey protein drink and i think it had a ton of caffeine. It's weird though, in general lately, eventhough I'm working out pretty well, I don't feel half as run down as I used to.

Pork Chop
06-12-2007, 08:57 PM
need to do something about the sleep thing, gotta find a good zma supply

friday
3 hour eisa practice

saturday
30 minute performance in blistering heat, it was rough, was in that heat for like 3 hours.
saturday night went karaoke till real late.
got to bed around 3am

sunday
woke up around 2pm - 11 hours of sleep.
didn't really get out of bed all day.
was craving a cheeseburger for almost a week, so i finally broke down and got a fuddrucker's.
cleaned a bit.
couldn't get to sleep.
Laid down at around 10:45pm
by 2am i got bored so i started watching tv
i basically stayed up until it was time to go to work.
i really need the zma i guess

monday
hadn't slept all night so it really was the same day to me
after work i came home and slept around 6pm
skipped japanese class and everything

tuesday
woke up at 8:30am.
Slept 14 hours.
Wtf is wrong with me?
before work, finished up the first season of dexter that i'd started watching sunday night.
went into work late.
got to the gym a few minutes late
did an hour and a half kickboxing- which included bag work after the class.

Pork Chop
06-14-2007, 11:46 AM
wednesday

had to go to a dinner party
skipped the gym
woke up late, but still made up 45 minutes of time
picked up some melatonin and ordered some zma after the dinner party

thursday
laid down at like 12:30 last night after taking the melatonin and one more 'sleep ease' kinda supplement. Passed right out and had a super vivid dream, i mean SUPER vivid. Still remember the gist. It was weird coz it was one of the first times I was able to hurt someone while fighting in my dream- gave a guy a bloody nose. Usually I pound on people and nothing ever happens.
woke up around 8am.
couldn't really move till 9, so i got to work very late, but i wasn't quite as ill-feeling as usual when i woke up. Usually when i wake up in the morning i feel nauseous and it actually hurts physically.
I'm about 6 hours behind for the week, so i'm going to have to work a full day tomorrow on my day off.
forgot my contacts too so looks like i'll be working out tonight with glasses.

feel bad that i still haven't been able to add regular weightlifting & swimming to my routine yet. I just don't have a ton of free time or spare energy.
No drumming this weekend so maybe sunday or friday night i'll be able to get into the weight room.