PDA

View Full Version : Northern Shaolin vs Hung Gar, advice needed

Xiazhi
09-19-2006, 10:59 AM
First off, I'm new here, so hi! *waves*

I've never taken any Kung Fu before and I think I need some advice (or maybe just a little reassurance :rolleyes: ).

Here's the dilemma: I'm extremely interested in Hung Gar but I've looked everywhere and there aren't any schools in my area that teach it. I did however find what looks like a really good school that teaches only Northern Shaolin. I hate that I can't start out with Hung Gar but, fortunately, I'm going to be moving to NYC eventually and there's no shortage of schools there. ;)

Now, I'm pretty sure I would've wanted to learn more than one style anyway, so I guess it probably wouldn't hurt to start with a different style (I hope)... But is it a bad idea to mix Northern and Southern styles of Shaolin Kung Fu? I guess I'm hoping for "well-rounded." lol

And, adding to the confusion, isn't "Northern Shaolin" kind of a broad term? it's possible I'm completely wrong about that... lol But I'm having a little trouble figuring out exactly what I'd be getting into at this school, beyond that it's Northern Shaolin. So, uh... Any more info about that would also be greatly appreciated. :D Thanks!

BruceSteveRoy
09-19-2006, 11:14 AM
its hard to say. i started with northern shaolin and now i am doing hung fut (southern style) and it is not a difficult transition. in one sense it can make you very well rounded since northern is a lot more legs and southern is a lot more hands (though they both obviously use a lot of both). i think the motions in the northern tend to be a lot more flowing than in hung ga but if you can't learn to make sharp crisp movements bc of your northern training it might slow your progress in hung ga when you learn it later on. if you can learn to do that though you will have the benefit of being able to do both. i would say go for it bc it will give you an introduction to CMA either way. you will learn stances and punches and kicks (and other basic skills) that will transfer over to hung ga when you are able to study it.

Oso
09-19-2006, 11:32 AM
what he said.

basically, you only live one place (usually). So, get the best you can while you're living there and then get the best you can when you move. Pretty simple, really.

if you go to the Shaolin Forum and post the name of the school and the teacher, most likely someone will know them if they are legit Northern Shaolin.

good luck.

Xiazhi
09-19-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm relieved to hear this isn't a completely ridiculous plan. :D

I'm not sure how much this matters, but I guess I should mention I do have some experience with kickboxing... I have a feeling Northern Shaolin is the one I'm going to find the most challenging. :rolleyes:

blackmantis
09-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Hung Gar and Northern Shaolin are both PHENOMENAL systems. Whichever style you decide to learn you will get a lot out of it, and I'm sure the transition would not be too hard so just go for it.

I personally am a northern stylist, but I have utmost respect for the southerners as the Hung Gar I've seen has been really top notch stuff!

Ravenshaw
09-19-2006, 02:38 PM
My Sifu's school had both systems. I don't think I'd mix them, but it's not a bad thing to practice both. Just make sure that your bak siu lum doesn't look like your hung gar or vice versa. :cool: The styles are expressed differently and each has its own foci... so be true to each style when you practice them. You can worry about mixing styles later on down the road, but not now.

Northern shaolin (bak siu lum) is a good system to begin with. You may give it up once you move away from that school, but BSL schools usually stress athleticism more than Hung Gar schools (YMMV, of course).

I also wanted to add that the style isn't as important as the school. I love BSL, but I'd rather not do it at all than practice at a mediocre or bad school. And if a school is exactly what you're looking for, then what does style matter? Personal preference....

Good luck

PangQuan
09-19-2006, 02:47 PM
i study northern and souther system at same time...

i like the variation recieved.

the northern for us is longer range, wider motions, more linear. our southern, more compact, close range, non linear...i good compliment to the northern system.

fills the gaps so to speak.

David Jamieson
09-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Whatever, just get started. You can eventually learn both if you have the motivation to do so. Never rush any of it. Rushed kungfu is like bad cooking, it tastes bad, looks bad and no one is interested in it.

Nice avatar btw :P

You should put the title of that book cover in your "location" hahahaha.

blackmantis
09-20-2006, 06:43 AM
In good Northern Shaolin you can expect the following

1. Emphasis on agility and flexibility, allowing the muscles to relax and so extend further. This also applies to kicking and so high kicks will be practised - a speciality of northerners. Some Qigong should be included as well as some Neigong. There should be some weapon training but focus on empty hands, quick transitions between stances, evasive circular blocks and leaping techniques.

In good Hung Gar you can expect the following

2. Heavy stance training initially, particularly horse stance - this will allow you to become more rooted, and will increase leg strength. This training is also a superb mental tool for teaching patience and determination, as well as the physical endurance benefits. There will be a lot of emphasis on building tremendous physical strength which will include internal methods. There will also be weapon training, and additional skills such as Lion Dancing and other interesting cultural aspects.

Hope this helps, and I hope all I've said is correct (feel free to correct me people)

S

Xiazhi
09-21-2006, 04:03 AM
Thank you so much for all the information everyone!

Nice avatar btw :P

You should put the title of that book cover in your "location" hahahaha.
Oh, thanks! :) It's Andy Warhol's "Flower for Tacoma Dome"... Now I'm really curious, what book cover uses it?

David Jamieson
09-21-2006, 05:55 AM
lol too funny.

nevermind.... I thought it was something else.