PDA

View Full Version : Why Or What Makes You A Martial Artist?

MARTIALSTUDANT
09-19-2006, 12:18 PM
J/c To see some of you kind men/women answers!!!

The Xia
09-19-2006, 12:21 PM
You are a martial artist if you practice martial arts. It's a simple answer to a simple question. If someone says, "What makes you a violinist?", I'd say, "You are a violinist if you play the violin."

PangQuan
09-19-2006, 12:24 PM
yes.

its degrees that make the difference. not degree in the sense of second or third degree black belt stuff.

but in the sense of your degree of understanding of your system...

Su Lin
09-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Perhaps there should be a forum especially for MARTIALSTUDANTS questions!:rolleyes:

Yep, Martial artist = someone who does martial arts (on a regular basis!)dedicating a decent amount of time/commitment to it.
Why ? Because kung fu= good.

The Willow Sword
09-19-2006, 12:30 PM
LOL @ su lin.

Su Lin
09-19-2006, 01:09 PM
And student is spelled with an 'e' !

Shaolin
09-19-2006, 01:30 PM
After one obtains knowledge, depth and a cultivated skill of martial science only then can one begin to create freely. This is a martial artist.

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-19-2006, 03:45 PM
martial artists are just athletic nerds.

except for the ones who aren't athletic.

SPJ
09-19-2006, 08:15 PM
If you study and practice a style or just basic stuff, yes you are a MA'er.

If you are good at whatever you are doing is a different story.

In the old time, if you practice fighting/boxing or Quan.

Then you are called a fighter/boxer or Quan Shi.

:)

bodhitree
09-21-2006, 07:12 AM
i'd say doing martial arts makes you a martial artist, but, thats just me.

LongPath
09-21-2006, 07:19 AM
When practicing martial arts begins to influence everything you are and everything you do, you might be a martial artist.

Ray Pina
09-21-2006, 12:08 PM
If someone says, "What makes you a violinist?", I'd say, "You are a violinist if you play the violin."

According to this statement the definition is in the doing... then I would say a lot of people are researching or studying martial arts. But of that number very few are martial artists.

hskwarrior
09-21-2006, 12:20 PM
On the basic level everyone is right.

If you practice martial arts, you are a martial arts practitioner.

Some do it for health, some for the esoterics, some to join a group, while others choose to do it because its something their souls yearn to do.

For my self, martial arts has always been a part of my life. In fact, one day i plan to get a hold of this picture of me around 5 years old in a cat stance.

Martial arts for "ME" is a lifestyle, something you live, eat and sleep. It has saved me, it has comforted me, it has relieved stress in ways others can't. At the end of the day I always say this......"at least I have my gung fu".....it won't turn its back on me, it won't shout back when I play rough (when I practice hard:eek: ), it listens when i need it to, it has answers i need.

Obviously I have a love jones for my gung fu, but it is that that makes me realize I am a martial artist.

peace.