PDA

View Full Version : A clip about me

hskwarrior
09-19-2006, 01:09 PM
what's up folker's?

I was just trying out some things and decided to re-do this clip about me. the funny thing is i turned that past fiasco of a performance into something decent.

just thought i'd share.

hsk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5qM78jFVcw

Su Lin
09-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Nice vid Frank, must have taken a lot of work ! Pretty inspiring stuff.

hskwarrior
09-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Su Lin,

thanks for the compliments.

nah, i just did that this morning. I've been having so much fun learning to edit and stuff i've been kicking em out like mad.

About being inspirational, I appreciate that. coming back from what i did, was the hardest part.

but again, thanks.

frank

MARTIALSTUDANT
09-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Cool Vid!!!

fiercest tiger
09-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Hi Frank,

Great work brother, you really do have the passion and push to promote CLF and your sifu. Kudo's to you man!!

Just a quick question, how is the spine now from the injury and if i may ask what type of training and healing was involved to get you functioning again?

be easy
Garry

PlumDragon
09-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Great vid, very encouraging to hear stories of people like yourself breaking the Doctors ruling and walking again...Thanks for sharing!

BTW, what song is that?

hskwarrior
09-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Fiercest Tiger and Plum Dragon,

Thanks for your kind words.

To answer your question, I began to utilize something my sifu always called mental gung fu. Basically its visualization, but on another level.

for gung fu it was meant to help me memorize my hand and weapon forms, but i took that to the next level and started visualing blocking punches and kicks, and other various techniques.

In the hospital i figured if Mental Gung Fu can help me memorize things, maybe it can help me retrain my muscles as well. On most of my free time in the hospital, I used mental gung fu for things like getting my toes to move. Just like in Kill Bill, she willed her toes to move, well I did the same thing.

My left leg recovered first while my right one stayed paralyzed. But I kept trying every second of the day and night to get my legs to move.

But the one thing I did was believed that i was going to walk with a passion stronger than my love for god.

I just never gave up, and when someone is in my position and told they would be paralyzed from the waist down, they usually give up. but i fought it all the way through.

However, even till this day I cannot stand on my toes. but the muscles are still regenerating. so soon.

but thanks again folks.

feel free to ask anything about my accident and whatnot, its all good.

frank

hskwarrior
09-19-2006, 09:32 PM
the song is an instrumental from the late singer Aaliyah, i think the song is called Revolution.

fiercest tiger
09-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Frank,

Well done brother, the mind is such a strong weapon and that why it can be a deadly weapon in any art be it external or Internal system. So happy to here stories like this i had an accident when i was 9 that had my left leg almost amputated and took me many months of pain, rehibiltation and only still have half a calf muscle and my ankle lost its flexibilty ill never be able to bend it as far as the right one. But after swimming to get my leg back to the same length of the right leg i made it to the state representing my country in lRugby eague for the next 2 years and winning gold medal in fighting by 16yrs old, kickboxing fights with a bunged leg and lost 1 fight out of 7.

Mind is the key to anything, Frank thankyou mate you have made my day!

By the way i watched alot of the CLF forms on youtube and man you guys have some really nice forms and flow!

kind regards
Garry

hskwarrior
09-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Fiercest Tiger,

I am happy to have a positive effect on you. In the future I plan to write my story and pass it out at hospitals on their Trauma Wards hoping I can be some sort of inspiration to anyone who was in my position.

It's the fighter in us as martial artists, not forgetting my survival instincts. I refused to believe that a wheel chair was my future and basically told all my doctors to GTH and that I was going to walk again.

To practice CLF again was my main drive. it was in my veins and I was in bad shape at first, but more and more i recovered, and today i can do semi half ass butterfly kicks. Can you believe that Sheet?????????:eek:

after so many years of being stuck to the floor, I am finally getting off the ground again. even at my weight.

about the videos, thanks. CLF is great, and you can tell by the different emphasis's of each branch that the CLF system is completely versatile.

after opening my eyes to the other families of CLF I feel i got a greater appreciation of our style now. Each branch has tremendous things to offer in a CLF practitioners journey.

peace.

The Xia
09-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Your editing skills seem to get better with each one now. Good content as well.

Some questions.
You said you traced Lau Bun's roots and you have written about the American Hung Sing sifus on zoomshare, are you the unofficial (or official) American Hung Sing historian or something? Also, is there any difference between Lau Bun lineage Choy Lay Fut and Fotshan Hung Sing Choy Lay Fut? And lastly, how did you come to fall 50 ft?

hskwarrior
09-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Xia....

For my direct branch I ended up with the most collected information about our lineage, and if anyone wanted to know people came to me. So I became the Official historian of our branch in SF only.

in regards to Fut San CLF and Lau Buns, Xia the very first time I saw the footage for the first time I knew that our gung fu came directly from fut san by the techniques they were doing. With so many CLF schools coming to the U.S. we couldn't identify ourselves with anyone.

but after my sifu came back from the first trip...on both sides (theirs and ours) there was no doubt of our roots.

And lastly, in regards to my 50 foot fall, I was crossing an overpass when my friend and I instantly made a stupid decision to cross over the over pass against traffic. I came to the center divider and jumped up on top and stepped down to discover there was nothing to step down onto. I fell 50 feet straight down and landed on the concrete.

where I fell from a person died 2 weeks earlier while the other died 2 years before that. So far, I am the only one to survive falling from that overpass.

peace

The Xia
09-20-2006, 06:58 PM
It must have been a cool feeling for the American Hung Sing folk to see firsthand that their stuff is unmodified (not that modifying material is inherently wrong. Many respected masters have done that. It becomes wrong when it's watered down.) As for the fall story, I think it would be good for hospital patients to hear about it. It shows that there is hope even in what seems to be the worst case scenarios.

iron_silk
09-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Great story...very inspiration indeed!!!

So...is everything fine now?

hskwarrior
09-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Iron Silk,

Today, I'm Soooo Much Stronger, Feel Pretty Good, But I Will Always Suffer From Pain.

I Don't Take Any Pain Killers, I Just Deal With The Pain.

Regardless, I'm A Fighter, And Thats Why I Still Improve My Condition.
I Never Give Up, And Keep Up The Desire To Get Stronger.

I'm Not Trying To Brag, But Some People Say I'm Really Strong In My Legs, But Within Myself I Know I Am Nowhere Near Where I Want To Be. But I'm On My Way.

I Remember At One Point I Couldn't Lift My Foot Off Of The Floor, Or Even Kick Past The Ankles. However, In My Sup Gee Video Clip In 2003 You See Me Kicking At Least Chest Level.

It's Been A Very Long & Hard Road To Travel Down, But Can You Imagine The Kind Of Experience I Gained From This? I Guess That's Why I Have This Strong Personality. Look Where I Came From.

In The Past I Taught Someone In A Wheelchair Who Thought He Could Never Learn Gung Fu For The Rest Of His Lifetime. I Changed That For Him, And Before He Passed Away, He Was Actually Moving Parts Of His Body He Never Had Since His Injury. He Was Eventually Able To Pick Up His Leg And Put It On The Floor From His Wheel Chair. He Ultimate Goal Was To Stand Up And Bow To Me.

This Is The Reason I Want To Work With Folks With Disabilities, Because Regardless Of Their Limitations, A Good Sifu Can Work Around That.

But Thanks Man For The Support.

Frank